closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pelagos......educate me please.

Master
    Blog Entries

Pelagos......educate me please.

Been away from watches for some time now, not missed it at all either. Panerai's were all sold, i finally gave up on them. Service centre was dire as many will attest, and boredom and frustration finally overtook any enthusiasm. The last one was at service for ten weeks and failed again within a week of its return.

A new low key desire has now arisen leading to a Bremont Supermarine being delivered on Saturday. I returned it this morning, the day display was crooked in the day window 

Thoughts have turned to a possible Pelagos replacement but which one? The original dial is much cleaner but the date position on the in house model is better, imo. The LHD would suit me being a "righty" but the fauxtina is off putting, and i see on-line examples with red date wheels? Were there choices? There's a lot or wordage on these too.

I probably prefer the eta original but I'd need a perfect example which could prove tricky to source. Is there a winner from the two models, new or old?

I don’t like the date position on the in house version. It removes the lume at 3 that was present in the eta 2 line version and as such it removes some symmetry that I think spoils the look a bit

I am of the same POV as the OP.
    A lot of text on the newer version, but I cannot stand the words “rotor self winding”. Just seems ridiculous to me for some reason - and that is too prominent on the ETA version.
    I also dislike the faux aged look, but you can wear the standard one on your right wrist of course. Arguably more comfy, and hardly an inconvenience to remove the watch for changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are also surprisingly heavy for a Ti watch.
    They wear well from the size from the few times I have tried them on, and I am well impressed with the quality of my BB Chrono so would expect similar from the Peli

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I don’t like the date position on the in house version. It removes the lume at 3 that was present in the eta 2 line version and as such it removes some symmetry that I think spoils the look a bit

Nothing is ever quite right is it, that is one of my endless issues. My passion for Panerai' simplicity still prevails just not the problems that accompany them.

The "Rotor" etc etc is pretty naff i agree, but more lost at least on the in-house dial. A sterile lower half would have been perfect

Master
    If you’re a fan of sterile dials...

https://www.limes-watches.com/endura...urance-pd.-b.s

Personally, I’d go for the Pelagos ETA version. Isn’t the “Rotor self- winding” text a nod to earlier models that also used the same words?

Master
    I had a LHD for a while, I really did like the watch, the vintage vibe and everything. What upset me, was that they kept producing it! I bought a 2016 version and had hoped it would be a limited production run. it is not!

in the end I sold it as I was on one of my many hunts for a grail.

I am looking at these now, and for me, it would have to be the two line ETA version.

Prices seem to have firmed up on them recently. I sold my LHD at about market rate last year for £2.3k, where as now they are probably around £2.6k

ETA ones are also quite pricey around £2.4k starting price for them.

Craftsman
    Regarding your question about the date wheel colours, the LHD has a roulette wheel with alternating red/black numerals (even = red, odd = black).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

As a general principal, it is rarely wrong to get the original of something successful.
    The power reserve is about the only thing that I would prefer in the newer version, for all other things the original ETA has it, for me.
    Originality, Less dial script, more dial symmetry.
    Mine keps almost perfect time, so the COSC makes no odds, and theoretically it could be maintained by any watchmaker, no need to rerturn to Tudor for movement work.

Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    As a general principal, it is rarely wrong to get the original of something successful.
    The power reserve is about the only thing that I would prefer in the newer version, for all other things the original ETA has it, for me.
    Originality, Less dial script, more dial symmetry.
    Mine keps almost perfect time, so the COSC makes no odds, and theoretically it could be maintained by any watchmaker, no need to rerturn to Tudor for movement work.

Dave

Nice wrist shot, confirming less is more, more often than not

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    Regarding your question about the date wheel colours, the LHD has a roulette wheel with alternating red/black numerals (even = red, odd = black).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Easy when you know, and simple too.

Just got to weigh the pros and cons

When I was looking for a Pelagos I was seriously considering the original 2-liner model; mostly for the cleaner dial and serviceability of the ETA movement.
    However I ended up getting the 5-liner for the power reserve and date placement.

All the dial text still bothers me but most of the time I don't really notice it. Whereas I probably would be more bothered by that little bit of marker by the date of the 2-liner.

As for everything else, what drew me in the first place was the iconic snowflake design on the markers and hands. As someone who prefers bracelets over straps, I also really like the micro-adjustments you can make in the bracelet as well as the spring. It's got that practical tool watch feel even if it doesn't get used as one.

I do like the LHD one.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    Regarding your question about the date wheel colours, the LHD has a roulette wheel with alternating red/black numerals (even = red, odd = black)
    Slightly off topic, but I've seen this on a few watches, does it have a purpose?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I like the Pelagos but always thought it was a bit ‘Sinn U1’ in appearance - I owned one for a few years and found it a bit sterile and lacking in warmth. I’ve also had lots of QC issues with big brands including Panerai - and now don’t own a single Swiss watch. The only watch brand I miss actually is Panerai, but when you know the service dept will break your watch, why buy one?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I do like the LHD one.
    Would definitely have the LHD again - lovely watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I've seen this on a few watches, does it have a purpose?

M
    I've heard a few theories, the common one being that the it was a way of indicating ration days in WW2, but it's disputed. I think it's probably just an aesthetic thing rather than any real function.

Journeyman
    I have the Pelagos blue and since buying it have read about people not liking the 5 lines of text. You don’t notice it when it on the wrist. If that is the only thing holding you back it maybe less of an issue than you think.

Journeyman
    I liked it when I tried it, both in black and blue dials, however it just didn’t sing to me.

I’ve had 4 over the last 3 years, keep buying them as they look super cool and modern but then it starts to look sterile, the titanium edges are really sharp making it a bit uncomfortable and then I sell.

3 months later I start looking for a new one, and it all starts again I’ve had ETA, LHD an 2 blues and I’m sure I’ll have another blue at some point

Mine was one of the first on the forum (although I did not buy it new, but from SC). I have been delighted with it ever since.
    Personally, I think it is exactly right. It takes real courage in this day and age to design something that is so completely functional, with no decoration at all.
    And I like that clarity of design, and do not find it boring or soulless, as many do.
    The inside edges of the lugs are too sharp, by far, as they are sharp enough to shave little bits off the back of your thumbrnail if you draw it across them.
    Not mentioned so far, the lume is exceptional too, aided by the full lumed bezel, which works great.

The lug sharpness is its only fault that I can see so far, and I do find it comfy to wear, although I mostly do so on a Tudor BB Blue NATO.

Dave

I bought the first version almost as soon as it was released - from a grey dealer with a sizeable discount (remember them)
    I really like the watch. I agree with all of the plus points already set out and I do not find the case edge too sharp. The only down point for me is the rubber strap, I don’t like it at all. iIt’s stiff and uncomfortable and also a little short. I do like the look of it on the watch head though. I keep thinking about getting a blue version as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    I liked it when I tried it, both in black and blue dials, however it just didn’t sing to me.
    What did you hope it would sing to you? A lullaby? Blues? Country?

Not a fresh 'photo however I was wearing mine today.

Blue

One of the best bezel and crown actions in the business, superb (but not quite Seiko diver) lume and a bracelet that's easy to micro adjust on the fly coupled with a relatively light weight for its size case makes it a comfortable thing to wear. I'd rather it had just the two lines on the dial (Chronometer or Pelagos and depth rating would suit me) however I can live with War & Peace as I love the blue dial, the lug edges are sharp however that helps define the side profile of the case however the only real negative for me is that I'd like the dial to be deeper within the case just to help add some character. That's a minor gripe though, I can more than live with it as it is.
    Last edited by CardShark; 12th May 2020 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    What did you hope it would sing to you? A lullaby? Blues? Country?
    He should have bought an Alexa:-)

I don’t own one but am a big fan of the LHD version and may have one at some point. I’m generally a fan of any off white lume as makes a nice change from the stark white/greenish that most watches have, always interesting to see how divisive this lume is though!

Master
    I had an in-house a couple of years ago. Found it comfortable on the bracelet but more so on the rubber. The use of the bracelet end pieces for the rubber strap is aesthetically pleasing. The bezel moves with a quality "click" and a very good looking watch....better than many of its more expensive cousins on both counts. I agree regarding the sharp edges but I got used to it. A watch of this quality for £3k is a bargain.

Last edited by watchmad; 13th May 2020 at 09:39.

Craftsman

I really like mine so comfy and a great dial and superb lume
    100% recommend
    Mind you when i first tried one at the ad i looked at all three colours and thought the bracelet was a bit flimsy and the dials too bright
    Eventually i tried a lhd on oem rubber and loved it
    Ironically I’ve only used the lhd on bracelet
    When you get the fit right its near enough perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I tried all three variants of the latest version back when you could still go to the shops. I don't normally go in for faux patina either, but the LHD was hands down my favourite (not just because i'm a righty too). Unlike some watches that look deliberately aged, it doesn't actually feel like that's what Tudor are trying to achieve when it's on the wrist. They wear very well for a relatively chunky piece, which is mainly due to the shorter lugs and integration with the bracelet. The clasp is a very nice touch too. Already owning a Sea Dweller I couldn't really justify the need to purchase but would definitely recommend.

Master
    I've a pelagos smurf, bought on forum last year, love it. Very light for a dive watch with such a depth rating, lovely blue colour. Dial is very sterile but it makes it ever so easy to read and the archetypal tool watch, which somehow the grey of the titanium seems to add to for me. Good time keeper at -1.5s/d and consistent, great power reserve. I don't know the details but I've seen comments that the movement is technically very very good and possibly better in some ways than big brother's current movements. It is tall though, sharp edged and slab sided. Bracelet seems excellent but for more colour I've been using a NATO, tried the rubber but find rubber too sweaty.

I did check servicing costs at an ad before buying and they are (were) very reasonable. Tudor may of course follow the tend to hike costs significantly, but last year the cost I was quoted was under £300 iirc.

I still have my original ETA release Pelagos. Very functional design, no bling, so you need to like that.

The date window is very nicely integrated in the dial and no one complained about two lines of text being too little. So changes to the new model were simply to fit the new movement (date window) and that needed to be put on the dial as well leading to the 4 lines.

While I like the LHD red accents I don’t get the use of aged lume on such a modern design. So to recap the ETA model for me is just perfect.

Master
    My (two liner) Pelagos is pretty much all I’ve worn for the last few months - it really is a fabulous watch in my opinion.

I read someone mention it doesn’t sing to them, and I understand that. I tried one on a few years ago and didn’t buy it for that reason. However, after actually buying and frequently wearing one, it’s suitable for (almost) any occasion.

It’s really comfortable, it looks great, it sits just right on my wrist, etc. The only negative for me, despite its historical nod, is the ‘rotor self winding’ on the dial.

I’ve never tried a LHD and would to give one of those a go at some point. Can’t work out yet whether I’ll like the look in real life or feel it’s too ‘faux’. 5 lines of text is also too much, but no watch is perfect...

Last edited by mab; 19th May 2020 at 21:33.

Craftsman
    My LHD is my favourite watch. Great quality, great timekeeping, really easy to read day or night. I’m left handed and I’ve always worn my watch on the right so I was really happy to get an LHD watch. But after a lifetime of using normal watches I find it really difficult to adjust the watch on my wrist, so I end up taking it off to adjust anyway.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    My LHD is my favourite watch. Great quality, great timekeeping, really easy to read day or night. I’m left handed and I’ve always worn my watch on the right so I was really happy to get an LHD watch. But after a lifetime of using normal watches I find it really difficult to adjust the watch on my wrist, so I end up taking it off to adjust anyway.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    You should always remove your watch to wind and adjust apparently as otherwise you risk damaging the stem by bending it. I suppose they made one with the crown on the other side so that it doesn’t dig into your hand? I wear my watches further up my arm so haven’t ever had that problem but I know some ‘wrist bone junkies’ do

Master
    I must say that I am now on the look out for an eta Pelagos.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I wear a watch on my right hand and have never had an issue with the crown of any watch digging into my hand - actually I don’t really understand why watches worn on the left hand have the crown nearest the hand? On my regular watches the crown points ‘up’ my arm so can’t dig into anything!
    In regard to the Pelagos, in theory I like them but having owned a SinnU1 - which imho has a very similar aesthetic- I got tired of how ‘stark’ the design was as a daily wearer. I have to say it is a corker amd would fit into any collection with its engineered look imho

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Blue

One of the best bezel and crown actions in the business, superb (but not quite Seiko diver) lume and a bracelet that's easy to micro adjust on the fly coupled with a relatively light weight for its size case makes it a comfortable thing to wear. I'd rather it had just the two lines on the dial (Chronometer or Pelagos and depth rating would suit me) however I can live with War & Peace as I love the blue dial, the lug edges are sharp however that helps define the side profile of the case however the only real negative for me is that I'd like the dial to be deeper within the case just to help add some character. That's a minor gripe though, I can more than live with it as it is.
    I owned the blue one as well, and agree with everything you say, except that the depth of there dial never bothered me.

I echo how sharp the lug edges are - a really interesting design decision.
    The bracelet is fantastic, and for a titanium watch it’s not that light. This can be good or bad, depending on how much heft you like on your wrist.

My only gripe was how quickly the titanium of the case picked up marks and “stains”... maybe it was just me and how I treated the watch, but it was annoying.

Ended up selling it to fund other purchases, as you do, but if I had the funds I would definitely get another one, perhaps an LHD.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    I owned the blue one as well, and agree with everything you say, except that the depth of there dial never bothered me.

I echo how sharp the lug edges are - a really interesting design decision.
    The bracelet is fantastic, and for a titanium watch it’s not that light. This can be good or bad, depending on how much heft you like on your wrist.

My only gripe was how quickly the titanium of the case picked up marks and “stains”... maybe it was just me and how I treated the watch, but it was annoying.

Ended up selling it to fund other purchases, as you do, but if I had the funds I would definitely get another one, perhaps an LHD.
    Can you wipe out scratches with Scotchbrite or does that just make it shiny?

I have the ETA version and I like the simplicity of the dial, the snowflake hands and the fact that it is the original and possibly over time, the rarer version.

I do understand what some people mean that the sterile dial can look boring but it is more of a tool watch. If you compare the depth rating, the tool watch looks and the clasp with its cousins from Rolex, it really is very good value.

A version in the 39/40mm size range would be truly special.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

Blue

You're kidding the lume was not Seiko standards?I personally love that watch I am torn between making this model My next watch or getting a vintage Omega Speedy really like the one you're wearing very stylish and also at home in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Ink eraser does the trick. My old Pelagos
    Plus this gave a decent result I believe scotchbrite can work but I haven’t tried that
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 18th May 2020 at 13:03.

Master
    That’s amazing effort!

I believe scotchbrite can work but I haven’t tried that

Master
    They are not good value for money at thr moment though. ETA prices seem up by around £400 compared to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Never tried fixing the scratches as I wouldn’t trust myself not to mess it up even more...
    Ended up selling it as is.

Impressive!! not heard of that before, I've always used scratch pads, or scotchbright as they're known ... be giving that a go at some point

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Impressive!! not heard of that before, I've always used scratch pads, or scotchbright as they're known ... be giving that a go at some point
    I think it’s because the surface of titanium oxidizes and the scratches aren’t actually scratches on the metal but rather scratches in the oxidized layer. The eraser just removed that layer and reveals the metal beneath