closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BB58 - drilled lugs

Craftsman

BB58 - drilled lugs

Hi

I want to make this already outstanding watch perfect - in my opinion that means it needs drilled lugs.

Is there anyone out there that has added drilled lugs to a watch, who did you use and how much was it?

Thanks

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post
    Hi

I want to make this already outstanding watch perfect - in my opinion that means it needs drilled lugs.

Is there anyone out there that has added drilled lugs to a watch, who did you use and how much was it?

Thanks
    Can't answer your question but I was only thinking this the other day about ExpII. The older ones look amazing.

Master
    Paul at Tempus Watch Mods and his buddy, John Bentley are your boys. Sent an SKX to Paul for some work and John did my case for me last year.
    Top notch work - £30 for drilling the lug holes into the case.

What would be the consensus on the impact on the watches value doing that work?

Enhance it
    Devalue it
    No effect on it

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

Enhance it
    Devalue it
    No effect on it
    My thought would be it would devalue the watch. As you’re changing it in a way many no WIS would never need.

To me though I agree it would make it even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Paul at Tempus Watch Mods and his buddy, John Bentley are your boys. Sent an SKX to Paul for some work and John did my case for me last year.
    Top notch work - £30 for drilling the lug holes into the case.
    Will look into that for my explorer.

Enhance it
    Devalue it
    No effect on it
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    My thought would be it would devalue the watch. As you’re changing it in a way many no WIS would never need.

Depends if it's going to flipped. I'll consider it as I won't be selling my watch as it's going to my son on my demise.

Don’t really understand why drilled lugs are so great?

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    100x easier?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    100x easier?
    A little bit easier maybe but worth irreversibly modifying the watch? Unless you’re changing straps on a daily basis I don’t think I would. You could try straps with quick release bars maybe?

I realise you weren’t asking for opinions on whether to do it or not though so if you like it then cool.
    Last edited by ped; 11th May 2020 at 21:09.

A little bit easier maybe but worth irreversibly modifying the watch? Unless you’re changing straps on a daily basis I don’t think I would. You could try straps with quick release bars maybe?

I realise you weren’t asking for opinions on whether to do it or not though so if you like it then cool.
    Not just easier, but given the bb58 is a retro vintage inspired piece then it could be argued that drilled lugs are more appropriate and “of the period”, so would significantly enhance the aesthetics (to some eyes at least). I can certainly understand why someone might consider it.

Drilled lugs would look awesome, please post up some photos when you get it done

I'd be too scared to do it to any of my watches. Wouldn't want to go through the issues or cost of laser welding or a service case. Would be great if more watches still came with them though.

Where does this idea come from that drilled lugs look awesome? They're useful, sure, but they're an unnecessary hole (or four!) in the side of the case.

My BB58 is coming tomorrow so I’ll get the drill out

BB58 - drilled lugs

The one caution I would raise, aside from what would happen were you to try to sell it, is that the 58 uses an in-house Tudor movement, of a sort that has only just come about.

This could make servicing, outside of authorised watchmakers/Rolex themselves, difficult. I would think that Rolex/authorised watchmakers might refuse to service a watch that had been so modified... you might never sell it, but you’ll have to get it serviced at some point...

Now, if all you were doing was swapping out a bezel etc., you could just get a friendly watchmaker to reverse it before you sent it in... with this mod, you’re going to have find someone who’s pretty handy at soldering...

Master
    If it's a keeper, and it may well make you keep it, I'd say, go for it. I've always loved lug-holes on Rolex watches, just the same as the cyclops lens, it's part of the DNA. If the work is done with the quality in keeping with the case finish, it would make it feel that the manufacture could have done in the first place having supplied the watch with strap options; bracelet, leather, nylon. If you go ahead, and you post up some pics I could consider maybe trying this on my BB chrono' Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post

While I would not get my BB58 done as if I came to sell it there may be trouble, although I would consider getting my Sub done as i would never sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    The one caution I would raise, aside from what would happen were you to try to sell it, is that the 58 uses an in-house Tudor movement, of a sort that has only just come about.

This could make servicing, outside of authorised watchmakers/Rolex themselves, difficult. I would think that Rolex/authorised watchmakers might refuse to service a watch that had been so modified... you might never sell it, but you’ll have to get it serviced at some point...

Now, if all you were doing was swapping out a bezel etc., you could just get a friendly watchmaker to reverse it before you sent it in... with this mod, you’re going to have find someone who’s pretty handy at soldering...
    Fair point. May be worth it for a cheaper ETA beater then.

Master
    If you try and sell, it’s a reason for the buyer to try and knock you down on price.....even if they secretly like them.

Just to add I think someone in TRF did it already.

Drilled lugs are a lot safer if you wear your watch on a NATO. Means you can use shoulderless springbars, which removes the small chance of an accidental release of a springbar. It has happened to me on a non-drilled Rolex.

That combined with generally easier strap changes makes it a winner for me. Much prefer them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Paul at Tempus Watch Mods and his buddy, John Bentley are your boys.
    Just sent them a message, at £30 it's a bargain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I would think that Rolex/authorised watchmakers might refuse to service a watch that had been so modified...
    A valid point but I'm sure the worse case scenario would be that Rolex only service with a replacement case

Master
    Just sent them a message, at £30 it's a bargain.
    That seems ridiculously cheap considering the risk on them if they made a slip.

As much as I think my BB58 is my favourite watch and a keeper, I do agree that drilled lugs would make it perfect. I’ve thought that for quite a while tbh. However, I’d never do it/let anyone else do it to my own watch, as I have a bit of a problem with ‘non original’ watches.

Totally get why you’re considering it Votex89 and would love to see the outcome, if you do go ahead with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How often do you see a watch advertised for sale in almost perfect condition apart from some small strap/bracelet change marks on the back of the lugs ? I see it all the while, you don't tend to get that with drilled lugs.

I have machined the lugs on literally 100s of Seiko divers such as the SKX, 7548, 6309, 7002, 7549, H558 etc and I used to charge £10 per watch but I was then advised I was too cheap so put the price up a little, it is quite time consuming to machine the four lugs properly and I replace my cutting tools every four watches to make sure they are sharp/pristine, they cost me £10 a pop.

I have only had one mishap when a cutting tool hit a hard spot in the lug and broke and then the hole (1mm) dident look perfect so I bought a new case for the owner, I dident make much money on that one :)

I want a BB when I see one at the right price and as it would be a keeper I would perhaps be tempted to drill the lugs as it would be my own watch so if anything did go wrong only I would be pissed but would I do it for someone else ? I don't know, is it worth the risk and the cost of perhaps replacing the case plus I have a dedicated fixture for holding the Seiko's but not for the Tudor.

Craftsman
    Makes strap changes so easy unless all you use are Nato's or quick release spring bars. I always prefer drilled lugs. Just look back to the watches from the 40's, 50's and even onto the 60's, so many of them had drilled lugs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Or alternatively, how much of an extravagance watches and their service charges can be.

And before anybody jumps down my throat, I fully support our hard-working independent watchmakers and technicians as evidenced above (or below depending on your forum settings). I wouldn't hesitate to send a watch to Paul and John again.

I had someone offer to brush my GMT bracelet for £30 before. Ran a mile. Might have been a fair price but sounded so cheap I got scared!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I had someone offer to brush my GMT bracelet for £30 before. Ran a mile. Might have been a fair price but sounded so cheap I got scared!
    I’ll do it for a grand if you prefer?

I just cringe at the thought of doing this! Would be too worried it would go pear shaped and irrevocable damage done.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post

I thought that too, and turns out it was too good to be true, the £30 is for Seiko only, they have a jig that holds the case so the 58 wouldn't be a fit.

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be happy to hear!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a 58 which I wear most days. Great watch.

I agree drilled lugs would be an improvement.

I would only have it done if I had written confirmation from Rolex that it wouldn’t cause an issue at service and I need to be 100% certain it would be done perfectly. Looks a tricky job to achieve alignment.

I thought that too, and turns out it was too good to be true, the £30 is for Seiko only, they have a jig that holds the case so the 58 wouldn't be a fit.

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be happy to hear!
    Also to do it properly the case has to be stripped totally so you have to factor stripping and rebuilding the case and also retesting for water proof, all pretty straight forward on a Seiko.

Master
    I’ll do it for a grand if you prefer?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    How often do you see a watch advertised for sale in almost perfect condition apart from some small strap/bracelet change marks on the back of the lugs ? I see it all the while, you don't tend to get that with drilled lugs.

I have machined the lugs on literally 100s of Seiko divers such as the SKX, 7548, 6309, 7002, 7549, H558 etc and I used to charge £10 per watch but I was then advised I was too cheap so put the price up a little, it is quite time consuming to machine the four lugs properly and I replace my cutting tools every four watches to make sure they are sharp/pristine, they cost me £10 a pop.

I have only had one mishap when a cutting tool hit a hard spot in the lug and broke and then the hole (1mm) dident look perfect so I bought a new case for the owner, I dident make much money on that one :)

I want a BB when I see one at the right price and as it would be a keeper I would perhaps be tempted to drill the lugs as it would be my own watch so if anything did go wrong only I would be pissed but would I do it for someone else ? I don't know, is it worth the risk and the cost of perhaps replacing the case plus I have a dedicated fixture for holding the Seiko's but not for the Tudor.
    Interested to know how you do it? I can see plenty of scope for it not going well. Not something I’d consider but I’m curious.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Interested to know how you do it? I can see plenty of scope for it not going well. Not something I’d consider but I’m curious.
    I use a small milling machine with a quality Vertex rotary table set up on it, a fixture for holding the totally stripped case in the correct position and rather than drill the holes I use a 1mm two fluted solid carbide end cutting center drill/milling cutter that has to be gentle offered up to the case, a couple of thou at a time, using a center drill stops the cutter/drill from running off out of postion/center, this method ensures you have a quality hole in the correct position, sorry to ramble like anything straight forward it takes more time to write it down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Much as I’d like drilled lugs on my 58. It’s a no from me.

Journeyman
    It seems everyone would be interested to see it done but not many people would try it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEM1 View Post
    It seems everyone would be interested to see it done but not many people would try it.
    I think it would look better but modifying a new watch under warranty would only be for a very few, there is the risk of it going wrong plus the cost and then the ongoing issues of Rolex not being keen to service in the future ... just not worth it imho

Journeyman
    Has anyone tried it with a cheaper watch?

Master
    Quick and dirty

Good work!
    I modded the bezel insert (nothing invasive like this) on a BB Steel last year, if anyone recalls - Add in these drilled lugs and that would be a real winner!
    (Personally - as I can’t live without a date on a watch)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Quick and dirty

BINGO!

Looks spot on.
    Coot, please, more info' if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.
    Last edited by Nealywheelie; 16th May 2020 at 00:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Quick and dirty

Photoshopped or actually done coot?

Master
    Oh it’s potato shop alright.

Was thinking of selling a set of 4 little stickers to people. :)

The look works though, bet they do that in the next one (and if they could pop a gmt hand in there too, thanks Tudor)

Big no from me - on 3 points, it doesn’t look better (nobody would ever notice), it might go wrong and damage the watch, and Rolex may well refuse to service a watch only they have service parts for. That final one is what would really bother me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What I don’t get is why they didn’t do it as standard. Clearly a vintage inspired design.

I wonder if Tudor design people even discussing drilling the lugs?

I would think most people given the choice would say they’d prefer it to have drilled lugs as standard.

I love my bb36 on it's bracelet, infact I think it's pointless on any other strap.
    58 is another story but me, I'd keep.that on a bracelet too, they are just so IT.
    No need to drill for me.
    I am curious to know.if they drill from the outside or the inside...

Anyway, for me drilled lugs rule.

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    I love my bb36 on it's bracelet, infact I think it's pointless on any other strap.
    58 is another story but me, I'd keep.that on a bracelet too, they are just so IT.
    No need to drill for me.
    I am curious to know.if they drill from the outside or the inside...

Anyway, for me drilled lugs rule.

BUBI 0_0
    To get a straight hole through I would assume that the only option is to drill from the outside.....