closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing to perfect 3 watch set?

Master

Reducing to perfect 3 watch set?

I’ve often considered just how many watches is the right amount. Some people seem more than happy with one watch, most seem to be between 3 and 6. I’ve seen some with 100 plus. I try and wear each of mine for at least a few days at a time up to a week. Problem for me is that I don’t believe in safe queens and having between 6 and 10 at different times means it’s a couple of months between wears.

I realise I’ve been very fortunate to pick up some great watches in the past (most of the steel Rolexes, both current and previous models, a blue 5711, Omegas, Breitling, GS) and even though many have gone, I’ve still got some great watches. My latest acquisition was for a birthday present to myself but I decided at the time to sell up to 3 watches to fund it.

I’m aiming to have what I see as the perfect 3 - all keepers and no need to ever buy another watch!*

It means reducing down from this:

My new addition - the VC overseas is just the perfect watch to me. Three straps options effectively mean three watches in one. I know that sounds obvious but until you wear it and try the different combos out, you’re never quite sure.

So where to start reducing - my 116610LV has gone to my brother on the understanding I can buy it back. The Omega has been sold. The SD43 I don’t really count as it was bought for my son for when he’s older. So I’m just left with the GS and skydweller.

I’m fairly sure I’ll sell the GS which means that, the Omega and the hulk will have comfortably paid for the VC.

So it’s just the skydweller- my wife’s favourite watch.

I’m a bit hesitant to post this thread in the current environment, but this is watch talk and technically I’m more consolidating than anything.

* subject to change of course :-)

Journeyman
    Very nice collection you have there. You definitely have picked the right three in my opinion for a three watch collection out of what you need to reduce down from. The VC really is a fantastic looking piece; I would like to add a VC to mine someday too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sell the Sky-Dweller to your wife

Journeyman
    Great set. I can’t think of any base that I would need not being covered by those 3.

Master
    I think that is also a great 3 watch collection and covers all bases.

Very nice collection! How long did you take to collect such nice timepieces?

Sky Dweller is nice but the 3 you picked are lovely!

Thanks
    S

Master
    Lovely watches.The three you have are the one's I would have kept. I have always felt that the ideal three watch collection is a diver, chrono and 3 hander. Myself after five years of looking I have two out of the three, a 5513 and a 376.0822. Still can't decide what will be the last one but things are on hold anyway re. the current climate.

Journeyman
    That Overseas is beautiful.

Craftsman
    The bracelet on the VC looks amazing when it's sitting next to the Rolex offerings.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I think three is a great number, and to my mind you've chosen correctly. What a lovely trio to "retire" with!

Master
    Nailed it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Stephen, in my opinion three is the perfect number. So many congratulations for getting to that safe haven. If I were you, I would ditch the Pepsi. To my mind, a collection of three pieces warrants different manufacturers and styles. The VC and the Daytona are givens. I would offer up something like a Reverso, perhaps in gold, as a third.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Stephen, in my opinion three is the perfect number. So many congratulations for getting to that safe haven. If I were you, I would ditch the Pepsi. To my mind, a collection of three pieces warrants different manufacturers and styles. The VC and the Daytona are givens. I would offer up something like a Reverso, perhaps in gold, as a third.
    I agree with Skyman - one of the Rolex needs to go for diversity as well as for something less sporty. Maybe if you do get rid of the skydweller, that plus the Rolex gets you up to a Lange or something a bit more different.

Three does sound like the perfect number and whilst there are many contenders for the optimum three watch collection, I think yours would definitely hold their own.

Master
    Your best bet is to hang on to the lot. If you sell them, you will be happy at first and then the sellers remorse will kick in and then you will start buying again. It is a well trodden path.

You bought your current watches because you wanted them, so hang on to them and enjoy them.

Master
    A true WIS if I ever I have seen one :)
    Going to a 3 watch collection, + the wife’s Skydweller + the son’s SD43 + the brother’s Kermit !!
    Enjoy them all some great watches there.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Your best bet is to hang on to the lot. If you sell them, you will be happy at first and then the sellers remorse will kick in and then you will start buying again. It is a well trodden path.

You bought your current watches because you wanted them, so hang on to them and enjoy them.
    Missing the OP’s original point. This is acknowledged to be contrary to your usual mantra.

I agree that three is the perfect number and your set is fantastic, you could not ask for better.

I have been planning my own 'end game' three watch set, but it will take a little longer to achieve and is at a far lower level. I have the first watch and the second is sort of lined up and hopefully will be with me soon. That leaves the third and that will take a bit of saving for. Definately has to be a Blue dial of some decription with a BPFF currently in pole position. The aim would be to sell anything else still around and call it quits on buying and selling for good.

Grand Master

+1, agree 100%. That's why 25 is the correct number for me Seriously, good examples of a watch you like are far harder to get hold of than sell (in most cases) and once they're gone they're gone. Most of my watches are vintage or less common watches from circa 1999-2010, I have a couple of bimetal Omegas which are quite rare; although they're not worth a lot they would be extremely difficult to replace with good examples.

The old Yorkshire saying...' they're eating nowt' applies.

Master
    Missing the OP’s original point. This is acknowledged to be contrary to your usual mantra.
    Ok but he will regret it sooner or later, it happens all the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I agree that three is the perfect number and your set is fantastic, you could not ask for better.

I have been planning my own 'end game' three watch set, but it will take a little longer to achieve and is at a far lower level. I have the first watch and the second is sort of lined up and hopefully will be with me soon. That leaves the third and that will take a bit of saving for. Definately has to be a Blue dial of some decription with a BPFF currently in pole position. The aim would be to sell anything else still around and call it quits on buying and selling for good.
    Yes and my old granny was a virgin.

You can't resist the urge to buy and sell, it's in your DNA and you know it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Sell the Sky-Dweller to your wife
    Poor payer

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think three is a great number, and to my mind you've chosen correctly. What a lovely trio to "retire" with!
    That’s my thinking Tony though I don’t know how long I’ll stay retired for.

I agree with you Simon, problem is I’m amazed how much I enjoy the Pepsi. Never thought I would. Something in gold one day I agree as it’s been on my radar for a long time, just never decided on what.

Thanks all for the comments. I’m very happy with what I’ll end up with. AP Royal Oak might push its way in contention one day though I have know aspirations that I’ll ever get a call on that one.

Lovely three watch collection and fill agree that three is the perfect number. If anything I would swap the Pepsi for the SD43 but I understand if it's for your son. The VC and Daytona are best/top SS from each brand so for diversity you could do with a black diver or a different brand. Maybe an Aquanaut if could could get one at retail? Either way stunning trio.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

The blue dial titanium would be a fantastic choice....

Yes and my old granny was a virgin.

You can't resist the urge to buy and sell, it's in your DNA and you know it.
    Come on Mick, I bought a Rolex and sent it away to be serviced - I'm turning into you 😂😂

Master
    Anyone who has followed threads on TZ knows there’s a universal truth.....that there’s no ‘perfect’ anything when it comes to watches. Everything changes, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but change it does.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Anyone who has followed threads on TZ knows there’s a universal truth.....that there’s no ‘perfect’ anything when it comes to watches. Everything changes, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but change it does.
    So true!!

Thanks
    S

If I could pull off the 41mm VC Overseas I’d agree with that. I love that watch but it just wears to big for me.

Blog Entries
    Personally - something gold needs to go in there. So I would get swap out the Daytona. With that and the Skydweller sale, you could get a nice Calatrava.

But that’s just because I have had a Annual Calander in my collection and could not see being without it.

Martyn.

Craftsman
    Seriously nice collection. Perhaps room for a Panerai somewhere in there in place of one of the Rolex?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
    Great set. I can’t think of any base that I would need not being covered by those 3.
    Lunch with Thierry Stern

Great little collection by the way
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Gorgeous VC. Love the 3 strap option which makes for such a versatile watch as you say.

Reminds me of the IWC 3536 with bracelet, rubber and velcro straps.

Enjoy your trio, the perfect number indeed.

For me you have got it bang on there that would be a perfect collection for me. But... for me if my wife loves a watch I could not really sell it. I have done that and I found it to be a huge mistake.

Master
    Very nice three there and similar to mine. Selling the GS and sky dweller would give a good budget for a fine dress watch on top of the core sport collection.

Master
    I saw the 3 watches & thought they looked perfect. I then scrolled to your ‘Rolex box’ and tried to think about how hard parting with those would be.

A lovely collection you have. Best of luck with your decision making, you will enjoy your trio I am sure!

Master
    Thanks all for the comments.

No doubt retirement will have just turned out to be a sabbatical :-)

Master
    The right amount for me is probably about 5 - my Rolex GMT, my IWC MkXII, a solar holiday watch or two, something a bit smarter. However the actual amount is in excess of 30.

Craftsman
    Great choice, though do you ever feel the need for something a little more dressy for formal occasions? I do like something slim with vintage proportions for for times like those.

Too late now but would have kept the sub for anything water-related (yes you can wear the pepsi but sometimes only a dedicated submarine type will do), unless you are happy to wear the heirloom SD (in which case, fine).

And would suggest as per above posters that you obtain a dedicated dress piece, perhaps a JLC Reverso or Master Control, and a beater Seiko sports watch for gardening etc.

Then you really have all bases covered!

Lovely collection even at just 3, mind! Very envious!

Craftsman
    you cover everything with this 3-piece combo, I really like it.

If you do not like the golden watches then this certainly is going to be a great mini collection

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    I am thinking of losing a few watches and going down to two but I have about ten at the minute.

I really do think I was happier with two.

Craftsman
    The VC is lovely and I keep thinking about reducing my collection even more to fund one. I think it's hard to settle on a 'final' state of collection but the three you have chosen all have ea unique purpose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post

Yeah - that would do it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Yeah - that would do it!
    That wouldn't for me...too much of one brand.

Its a lovely idea but I've got more than three that I'm attached to.... and more than that id like to keep for a good while yet. I'd like to get down to 10 though.

I do like the way you're covering all the bases with 3 stainless steel sports watches.

(Just like I'm covering all the bases with 30 stainless steel sports watches :()

Craftsman
    Thinking of seamaster 300m, seamaster aqua Terra, speedmaster moonwatch and Casio ghock beater...Yep I know 4 :(

Craftsman
    I would agree with this but go for a Patek... annual calendar or a IWC perpetual calendar.

Master
    All superb individually, any one of which would make a nice one-watch collection. But also, to my mind, a little similar i.e. SS, sporty all-rounders of comparable size.

Whom do you pick: all of Imran Khan, Ian Botham and Kapil Dev or just one, plus David Gower and Whispering Death? The eternal question.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 14th May 2020 at 20:43.