closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: An idea for the forum - Thread per watch?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    This thread is going well, isn't it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bit sad, if you don't mind me saying.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Would be great to have a Rolex only sub-forum, then I could ignore it!

Not sure the Rolex fanbois could contain themselves, though.

M
    If you look at Rolex threads, the most frequent and prodigious contributors are self-avowed non-fans as they have a distinct inability to stay away from Rolex threads
    They feel the need to express on every Rolex thread- I don’t like Rolex, I don’t want a Rolex.
    I know I said it a few hours ago but I am here to tell you I haven’t changed my views and I want to ignore the Rolex threads but I will comment on every Rolex thread to repeat my views about Rolex and make snide comments about the brand, the owners and people who wear them or like them ������
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th May 2020 at 16:16.

It's because no one has taken the time to understand the current process of the thread. Once the appointed consultant has done so, it can then be remodelled and a more efficient and productive process can be cascaded down to bring it in line with the target outcomes. We might lose a few posters on the way, but hey, 5hit happens

To be fair, it's going about as well as the other one .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    I just went to the shop to get some popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    I just went to the shop to get some popcorn.
    Sweet or salty, or did you push the boat out and go mixed?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If you look at Rolex threads, the most frequent and prodigious contributors are self-avowed non-fans as they have a distinct inability to stay away from Rolex threads
    They feel the need to express on every Rolex thread- I don’t like Rolex, I don’t want a Rolex.
    I know I said it a few hours ago but I am here to tell you I haven’t changed my views and I want to ignore the Rolex threads but I will comment on every Rolex thread to repeat my views about Rolex and make snide comments about the brand, the owners and people who wear them or like them 😂😂😂
    Don't forget the Grand Seiko fanboys.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSeb View Post
    Being still new to the forum, I had a small idea and wanted to fly it past the community!

How about we create a thread by watch?

I know there are a few newbies (like myself) and myself who search for specific watches (Sub, GMT, Seamaster, Datejust etc) to see what people are saying, pictures and more info around the watch.

For example: Rolex Submariner - Info

All the content will be around the Sub

Thoughts?

Thanks
    S
    If you're in somebody else's house, don't start rearranging the furniture.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    I think if you're only interested in certain makes or models having sub forums would be a good idea. However, since joining I have learnt so much about a range of brands I'd never heard of before that I would be against any change.

I used to get fed up with project manager types disguised as process experts, but I solved that problem by not working with them anymore. Admittedly, some of them were good at what they did, but most weren't, particularly those who fleshed out their projects (and therefore incomes) by their insistence on understanding the way things are, rather than focussing on the where do we want to be and how do we get there.

There is little greater hindrance to positive progress than the dyed in the wool old guard resisting change, or even the mere suggestion of it, regardless of its merit...usually evidenced by cries of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "who do they think they are" etc.

The op has made a simple suggestion which isn't going to result in the loss of anyone's job or precious process, so why get so agitated about it?
    For all the op knows (or many of the subsequent posters) the suggestion may already have been considered and discarded for whatever reason.

p.s. 'infer' and 'imply' have different meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    If you're in somebody else's house, don't start rearranging the furniture.
    Let us give OP a break. I am not in favor of his idea and I think it was a little naive of him to suggest it without really getting a feel of the place. I doubt though if there was any intentional disrespect.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Sweet or salty, or did you push the boat out and go mixed?

There's a newish brand out (can't remember what it is) that does, indeed, have a mix of sweet and salty in the same bag*. It's quite a thing.

*this might not be new but i'd never seen it before.

Journeyman
    I agree, it sounds like a good idea.

There's a newish brand out (can't remember what it is) that does, indeed, have a mix of sweet and salty in the same bag*. It's quite a thing.

*this might not be new but i'd never seen it before.
    I had that yesterday. My only gripe is it’s not sweet enough.

Let us give OP a break. I am not in favor of his idea and I think it was a little naive of him to suggest it without really getting a feel of the place. I doubt though if there was any intentional disrespect.
    That’s a good note to finish on. Now, let’s continue the popcorn discussion. Are you sweet, salty or a mixed bag?

That’s the boy.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    My idea for the forum is that the OP should just bugger off to WUS.
    Agreed
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    That’s the boy.

Mrs D had an empty packet in her car, the dirty mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I used to get fed up with project manager types disguised as process experts, but I solved that problem by not working with them anymore. Admittedly, some of them were good at what they did, but most weren't, particularly those who fleshed out their projects (and therefore incomes) by their insistence on understanding the way things are, rather than focussing on the where do we want to be and how do we get there.

There is little greater hindrance to positive progress than the dyed in the wool old guard resisting change, or even the mere suggestion of it, regardless of its merit...usually evidenced by cries of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "who do they think they are" etc.

The op has made a simple suggestion which isn't going to result in the loss of anyone's job or precious process, so why get so agitated about it?
    For all the op knows (or many of the subsequent posters) the suggestion may already have been considered and discarded for whatever reason.

p.s. 'infer' and 'imply' have different meanings.
    I can hear the conversation now...

"Yes, we like what you're proposing. How does it compare to what we do now, and can you identify and quantify the efficiency gains?"

"Errr, I'm not really sure, so... no."

"Well, don't let the door hit you on the way out."

All you've done is demonstrate a complete lack of understanding, but don't let that worry you - you don't work with consultants anyway. Fortunately very few clients approach projects with that mindset (although admittedly it's something seen in a lot of middle managers).

Have you thought about suggesting a daily what-r-u-wearing thread?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Every time someone mentions respect this comes to mind,I hope no ones going to stick a horses head in his bed.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's a bit sad, if you don't mind me saying.
    You're right, T.

To the original poster, do not be concerned about this thread, in TZ terms it is really rather good. Lots of engagement and some humour. We don't really do boring here.*

All of us have been in your position.

Welcome.

*Of course we do. Let's gloss over that though.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's because no one has taken the time to understand the current process of the thread. Once the appointed consultant has done so, it can then be remodelled and a more efficient and productive process can be cascaded down to bring it in line with the target outcomes. We might lose a few posters on the way, but hey, 5hit happens
    They can be made available to the wider community for upcycling. ( Just invented that. :) )

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Mainly these vintage classic Kickers that I nabbed from SC. OP, something to look forward once you hit 50, Aladdin’s cave

You're right, T.

To the original poster, do not be concerned about this thread, in TZ terms it is really rather good. Lots of engagement and some humour. We don't really do boring here.*

All of us have been in your position.

Welcome.

*Of course we do. Let's gloss over that though.
    My fault, as I was actually referring (in an amusing way, in my own mind) to an exchange earlier in the thread. Still, it just demonstrates what a lovely chap you are

"Yes, we like what you're proposing. How does it compare to what we do now, and can you identify and quantify the efficiency gains?"

All you've done is demonstrate a complete lack of understanding, but don't let that worry you - you don't work with consultants anyway. Fortunately very few clients approach projects with that mindset (although admittedly it's something seen in a lot of middle managers).
    Feeling a bit sensitive today?
    I don't know what you do for a living and I don't consider it to be any of my business.
    I haven't told you what work I have done, with/for who or the level at which I have worked.
    However, I do understand the need to be able to, at some point and in most circumstances, explain any proposals and why they might be more efficient or perhaps why they achieve a better outcome but at greater cost; but there are situations where 'the way we do things' really isn't that relevant, as in the case of the op's suggestion where we are not talking about a business process.
    Last edited by Stanford; 11th May 2020 at 17:44.

Evening all!

Just came back to this thread - apologies for the late reply - well this escalated!

Thank you all for your time and replies I can see that this is great community, genuinely wanted to offer an idea to the group and definitely learnt something from this!

I think we can close off this thread and get back to the important matter at hand, watches :)

Thanks
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Feeling a bit sensitive today?
    I don't know what you do for a living and I don't consider it to be any of my business.
    I haven't told you what work I have done, with/for who or the level at which I have worked.
    However, I do understand the need to be able to, at some point and in most circumstances, explain any proposals and why they might be more efficient or perhaps why they achieve a better outcome but at greater cost; but there are situations where 'the way we do things' really aren't that relevant, as in the case of the op's suggestion where we are not talking about a business process.
    I'm not feeling remotely sensitive, and was actually responding to points that you elected to bring into the scope of the discussion. As you were, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Mainly these vintage classic Kickers that I nabbed from SC. OP, something to look forward once you hit 50, Aladdin’s cave
    Bagsy second dibs if you don’t get on with them!!!

I'm not feeling remotely sensitive, and was actually responding to points that you elected to bring into the scope of the discussion. As you were, though.
    Stand easy

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    ... since joining I have learnt so much about a range of brands I'd never heard of before that I would be against any change.
    ditto - the current format has widened my appreciation beyond what I started looking for. I fear the idea would build silos (apologies for the office-speak!)

P.S. the occasional handbag swinging exchange is also quite entertaining.

I missed out on these. Very rare apparently. Do consider me first if you ever fancy moving them on.

‘TZ-UK Forums, a friendly place to discuss watches.’

‘Bugger off to WUS, newbie! You’re not even English!’

They have not been paired properly - send them back

Well goodness me, how did I miss this thread until now .

To the OP... if I understand correctly, you’re proposing a separate thread for each model of each watch brand?

There are hundreds of watch brands, almost all of which have multiple models. Mathematically it won’t work, even if it was desirable, which I don’t believe it is.

So no, not a good idea.

It’s certainly given you the opportunity to boost your post count, though, even if most of them consist of thanking members for their contribution...

Simon

I bet Curtis would be interested in these!

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I already spend far too much time on the telephone asking that question.

I think we are missing out on a yuuuuge opportunity here.

Imagine brand-centric subfora with official worship threads for every model, all of them sponsored by the respective watch manufacturers. The sponsors would get to appoint moderators, who are keeping it nice and clean, deleting any critical threads about the brand's models.

A Hodinkee/WUS fusion product, with John Mayer live every week. What's not to like?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Indeed Tony, and in a lot of senior managers too.

Senior Manager: You need to cut the budget by 20%

Me: The budget is costed to meet the current and projected requirements of the business.

Senior Manager: You're not listening. The executive want your the budget cut by 20%, so you have to cut it by 20%

Me: I'll say it again, the budget is costed to meet the current and projected requirements of the business, it is what it is to meet those requirements, it is accurate.

Senior Manager: I don't care, just find some way to cut the budget by 20%

Me: Look, the budget is broken down into its component parts, you can see how much each costs. So, tell me which part do YOU want the business not to do?

Senior Manager: What? Can you shave off 15 or maybe 10%?

Me: No, it can't be done any cheaper. Look, I suggest you go back to the board and ask them which part of the business' plans do they not want to happen - or sign off the budget as-is.

Senior Manager: They won't like me doing that.

Me: It's called managing upwards, which is what I'm doing now.

Senior Manager: Oh.

Some while later....

Senior Manager: The exec have signed off your budget.

Me: Thank you.

The above is a true story. Part two was even worse!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Indeed Tony, and in a lot of senior managers too.

Senior Manager: You need to cut the budget by 20%

Me: The budget is costed to meet the current and projected requirements of the business.

Senior Manager: You're not listening. The executive want your the budget cut by 20%, so you have to cut it by 20%

Me: I'll say it again, the budget is costed to meet the current and projected requirements of the business, it is what it is to meet those requirements, it is accurate.

Senior Manager: I don't care, just find some way to cut the budget by 20%

Me: Look, the budget is broken down into its component parts, you can see how much each costs. So, tell me which part do YOU want the business not to do?

Senior Manager: What? Can you shave off 15 or maybe 10%?

Me: No, it can't be done any cheaper. Look, I suggest you go back to the board and ask them which part of the business' plans do they not want to happen - or sign off the budget as-is.

Senior Manager: They won't like me doing that.

Senior Manager: Oh.

Some while later....

Senior Manager: The exec have signed off your budget.

Me: Thank you.

The above is a true story. Part two was even worse!
    A world I know all too well, Peter

An idea for the forum - Thread per watch?

And one I’m shortly to retire from, hence no desire to have my favourite forum ‘facilitated’ like a cheesy corporate intranet.
    A world I know all too well, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Ouch.

Brutal.

I have a friend who speaks like that. He visits companies and tells them where they're going wrong. Presumably, he's invited to do this - I've never thought to ask him.

Ouch.

Brutal.

I have a friend who speaks like that. He visits companies and tells them where they're going wrong. Presumably, he's invited to do this - I've never thought to ask him.
    It can be a lot of fun

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I think we are missing out on a yuuuuge opportunity here.

Imagine brand-centric subfora with official worship threads for every model, all of them sponsored by the respective watch manufacturers. The sponsors would get to appoint moderators, who are keeping it nice and clean, deleting any critical threads about the brand's models.

A Hodinkee/WUS fusion product, with John Mayer live every week. What's not to like?
    Granted the clear conflict of interest, I'm not sure the brand's owner is always the best choice for moderator, but I would definitely subscribe to an ISIS-sponsored thread praising the benefits of the Casio F-91W over all competing models as the ideal tool watch for assisting in the establishment of a global caliphate.

It can be a lot of fun
    haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I already spend far too much time on the telephone asking that question.
    Hehe, brilliant!

Just noticed, the separate thread thingy is going on of sorts already, Sinn U1, Vacheron and g shock photo threads.
    Im not against the idea at all, but it seems the "it aint broke don't fix it" sentiment prevails.
    The WUS argument is an emotional issue for a good number of guys, but even with a few dedicated threads, this is never going to become WUS

Any fancy for a trade? Lightly worn, they'll clean up nicely I think . . .

F.T.F.A.