closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: An idea for the forum - Thread per watch?

The start of a “magical journey in time” indeed

Enjoy your story OP

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Henk?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Henk?
    Could be Curtis?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Or send the site adminstrator a PM to see what he thinks? He's always open to ideas about how the forum could be made better.
    That will be Eddie Flatts

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    That will be Eddie Flatts
    Who is this gentleman?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Bad idea, not needed at all. It's also pretty arrogant to start proposing forum changes after being here all of two minutes.
    Agreed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad idea, not needed at all. It's also pretty arrogant to start proposing forum changes after being here all of two minutes.
    +1

Wow crazy thread.

A forum is 'owned' by its users, to a large extent. No user has a bigger say in what happens because they've been here longer. A forum lives and dies by its content. If a new idea is tried, it'll succeed if people reply. Simple as that. If nobody replies, then no harm done but there's your answer. It doesn't change 'the way things are now' in any way whatsoever unless the old forum stalwarts feel they have to personally read and approve every thread, which of course they do not.

So try it. Then you'll have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Wow crazy thread.

A forum is 'owned' by its users, to a large extent. No user has a bigger say in what happens because they've been here longer. A forum lives and dies by its content. If a new idea is tried, it'll succeed if people reply. Simple as that. If nobody replies, then no harm done but there's your answer. It doesn't change 'the way things are now' in any way whatsoever unless the old forum stalwarts feel they have to personally read and approve every thread, which of course they do not.

Oi, don't come in here with your common sense approach...

Wow crazy thread.

This^^

Strange and contradictory comment from someone who accused the OP of being arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Strange and contradictory comment from someone who accused the OP of being arrogant.
    You think?

You think?
    I do, Tony, I do. I assume your comment was validating the fact it was common sense. But then, one should never assume......

Wow crazy thread.

Did you tell Eddie that the forum is from now on owned by its users? I suppose he should know....
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    I do, Tony, I do. I assume your comment was validating the fact it was common sense. But then, one should never assume......
    Well, I was momentarily in touch with my feminine side - empathetic and conciliatory, as opposed to the usual argumentative and bolshy

Master
    Well, I was momentarily in touch with my feminine side - argumentative and bolshy
    Fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Did you tell Eddie that the forum is from now on owned by its users? I suppose he should know....
    I'm going to hazzard a guess here and say the response will be to tell the chap politely to f@ck off.

Eddie should know this already. If nobody posted there would be no forum. And I think you know I wasn't talking in the literal sense :)
    Last edited by ped; 15th May 2020 at 10:37.

Eddie should know this already. If nobody posted there would be no forum. And I think you know I wasn't talking in the literal sense.
    But if you and the OP stopped posting, there would still be a thriving forum, whereas if Eddie pulled the plug, there wouldn't. Can you see the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    But if you and the OP stopped posting, there would still be a thriving forum, whereas if Eddie pulled the plug, there wouldn't. Can you see the difference?
    If everyone stopped posting there would be no forum, that's my point - don't worry if you aren't following. I own a forum with 40,000 members and have learned the hard way that the forum is only as good as it's users and as such there's no hard and fast way to make a forum 'work' by allowing certain types of thread or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that common by the looks of things!

Well, I was momentarily in touch with my feminine side - empathetic and conciliatory, as opposed to the usual argumentative and bolshy
    And there's me thinking you were just argumentative and bolshy!

He did and I think he's had the answer.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

If everyone stopped posting there would be no forum, that's my point - don't worry if you aren't following. I own a forum with 40,000 members and have learned the hard way that the forum is only as good as it's users and as such there's no hard and fast way to make a forum 'work' by allowing certain types of thread or not.
    Except, I can't see everyone stopping posting so it's a completely unrealistic scenario, whereas Eddie pulling the plug isn't. So you do not have a point.

Except, I can't see everyone stopping posting so it's a completely unrealistic scenario, whereas Eddie pulling the plug isn't. So you do not have a point.
    Isn't it? Do you always have issues with hypothetical examples? Actually don't answer that.

Isn't it? Do you always have issues with hypothetical examples? Actually don't answer that.
    I think most people have issues with wildly exaggerated and incredibly unlikely hypothetical scenarios contrasting against a reasonable and entirely possible hypothetical scenario on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think most people have issues with wildly exaggerated and incredibly unlikely hypothetical scenarios contrasting against a reasonable and entirely possible hypothetical scenario on the other side.
    OK no worries I'll leave you all to it - maybe someone gets what I'm saying. I'll make sure I check any new threads I'm thinking of posting with the forum elders first.

Oh and if you don't think it's possible for a user base to abandon a forum in preference for something else then I understand why you are thinking along those lines.

OK no worries I'll leave you all to it - maybe someone gets what I'm saying. I'll make sure I check any new threads I'm thinking of posting with the forum elders first.

Oh and if you don't think it's possible for a user base to abandon a forum in preference for something else then I understand why you are thinking along those lines.
    FWIW I completely get what you're saying and agree with your point, just thought the hypothetical scenario was a bit much.

FWIW I completely get what you're saying and agree with your point, just thought the hypothetical scenario was a bit much.
    Thanks, it seems it but it does happen. But not often - normally it's because of severely outdated software (cough cough)

Thanks, it seems it but it does happen. But not often - normally it's because of severely outdated software (cough cough)
    So not because the posters decided to stop posting. What was your point then about posters owning the site?

So not because the posters decided to stop posting. What was your point then about posters owning the site?
    Yes yes you've picked another hole in my point, congrats

Yes yes you've picked another hole in my point, congrats
    It's been a long week

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Fixed that for you
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a long week
    Saint-Just will be along shortly to remind you that all weeks have seven days

And he won't be wrong either!

I'm beginning to doubt that he ever is! Wonder if he's looking for a job, I could use a little more scorn in my life

I own a forum with 40,000 members and have learned the hard way that the forum is only as good as it's users
    I wonder why?

And by the way, no apostrophe in 'its'.

I wonder why?

And by the way, no apostrophe in 'its'.
    Wrong again! Not my day today. Yes my forum must be terrible!

*thinks about bringing up the change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar, decides otherwise*

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    *thinks about bringing up the change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar, decides otherwise*
    :,) I did think about that but like you decided discretion was the better part and all that.

Not a grammar forum?

No reason to suppose it is. You implied that you had forgotten to upgrade and it had unwanted consequences, not that your members left out of spite

No reason to suppose it is. You implied that you had forgotten to upgrade and it had unwanted consequences, not that your members left out of spite
    Not sure where spite came into this. Users leave forums all the time due to a number of reasons. When they leave, the site effectively ceases to exist. Look up what happened to Myspace. Sites die far more frequently due to users leaving than the owner pulling a metaphorical plug.

The reasons why they leave can be many, but normally it's because the site has failed to keep up with development that users expect (notifications are a current hurdle for lots of old templates). There are of course examples of forums which carry on regardless, as long as the basic functionality works. I'd say TZ is one of those rare examples. Why do people stay? Because of the community. And that's not something that's easy to generate and it cannot be bought. That means that TZ for example is only good because of the people who post here, the users. The forum is only as good as its users (note: no apostrophe, thanks Raffe)

All I'm saying is that there is no secret recipe for what makes a forum work - WUS has made the 'forum per brand' thing work really well, and that's to their credit. It might work here, might not - but the only way to tell would be to try starting some threads as the OP says, and see if people join in. What's hard to understand about that?

Quite often I see members who have been on forums for years feel like they are quite heavily invested in the way the place should be - often telling new members to 'use the search function' instead of post a new topic about something that has been covered before. I understand that, but actually new members are the lifeblood and if they all ended up searching then we'd end up with a Wiki. Older members would just let those posters start using the place and leave them to it instead of bowling in and patronising them and shooting down new ideas.

But if it makes you feel like you own the place, that serves to illustrate my point too.

A forum is 'owned' by it's users (added emphasis for the metaphorically challenged)

Not sure where spite came into this. Users leave forums all the time due to a number of reasons. When they leave, the site effectively ceases to exist. Look up what happened to Myspace. Sites die far more frequently due to users leaving than the owner pulling a metaphorical plug.

The reasons why they leave can be many, but normally it's because the site has failed to keep up with development that users expect (notifications are a current hurdle for lots of old templates). There are of course examples of forums which carry on regardless, as long as the basic functionality works. I'd say TZ is one of those rare examples. Why do people stay? Because of the community. And that's not something that's easy to generate and it cannot be bought. That means that TZ for example is only good because of the people who post here, the users. The forum is only as good as its users (note: no apostrophe, thanks Raffe)

All I'm saying is that there is no secret recipe for what makes a forum work - WUS has made the 'forum per brand' thing work really well, and that's to their credit. It might work here, might not - but the only way to tell would be to try starting some threads as the OP says, and see if people join in. What's hard to understand about that?

Quite often I see members who have been on forums for years feel like they are quite heavily invested in the way the place should be - often telling new members to 'use the search function' instead of post a new topic about something that has been covered before. I understand that, but actually new members are the lifeblood and if they all ended up searching then we'd end up with a Wiki. Older members would just let those posters start using the place and leave them to it instead of bowling in and patronising them and shooting down new ideas.

But if it makes you feel like you own the place, that serves to illustrate my point too.

A forum is 'owned' by it's users (added emphasis for the metaphorically challenged)
    Well said chap.

You still put the apostrophe where it shouldn't be...

Change for the sake of change is worthless. if you want a different kind of forum, as you said WUS did this format really well. Changing TZ-UK to their model might indeed work, but by doing so it would stop being the forum the current users have chosen. I have no doubt that some would still like it (a WUS without moderation, what's not to like!), others wouldn't and would leave. All part of life.

Now if this had come from someone who had been there a while, found that some part of the membership was not taken care of and suggested a change why not? although the polite thing to do would be to ask Eddie first, then with his approval start a few threads and ask how it felt.

Instead, it's someone who had joined the forum a few minutes earlier, misread the rules as he wanted access to SC and thought 50 posts would be enough, and speed posted his way to 58 in a couple of threads. He has been much more discrete since he realised he had to put his hopes on hold for a few more weeks.
    A bit like a guest coming to your house and asking your other guests to rearrange the living room.

Change for the sake of change is worthless. if you want a different kind of forum, as you said WUS did this format really well. Changing TZ-UK to their model might indeed work, but by doing so it would stop being the forum the current users have chosen. I have no doubt that some would still like it (a WUS without moderation, what's not to like!), others wouldn't and would leave. All part of life.

Now if this had come from someone who had been there a while, found that some part of the membership was not taken care of and suggested a change why not? although the polite thing to do would be to ask Eddie first, then with his approval start a few threads and ask how it felt.

Instead, it's someone who had joined the forum a few minutes earlier, misread the rules as he wanted access to SC and thought 50 posts would be enough, and speed posted his way to 58 in a couple of threads. He has been much more discrete since he realised he had to put his hopes on hold for a few more weeks.
    A bit like a guest coming to your house and asking your other guests to rearrange the living room.
    You're assuming here that the only reason I would post an idea is to get my count up to access the SC and not a genuine interest or idea. Thought we were moving on from this haha but thanks for keeping the thread alive! If suggestions should be made to the forum owner prior to asking the user base that's not an issue :) Thanks Saint-Just

Agreed!

A bit. Not much. All I see is an enthusiastic member who wants to get involved (judging by this thread alone - I haven't posted here enough to promote myself to forum watchdog). But then I only have 1000 ish posts so what does that say about me - I see I'm still in the 'criticise their grammar' demographic in the eyes of the forum elite*

Would it really do any harm for a member to start a thread called - I don't know - 'The Pelagos Thread' and start posting? Is that a danger to society? Will it attract replies? Will it sink? Should it be vetoed from the start? Have you seen a Pelagos already? Should we stop talking about the Pelagos entirely? Should all mentions of the Pelagos go in a thread which already exists?

Not your decision to make IMO.

A bit. Not much. All I see is an enthusiastic member who wants to get involved (judging by this thread alone - I haven't posted here enough to promote myself to forum watchdog). But then I only have 1000 ish posts so what does that say about me - I see I'm still in the 'criticise their grammar' demographic in the eyes of the forum elite*

Would it really do any harm for a member to start a thread called - I don't know - 'The Pelagos Thread' and start posting? Is that a danger to society? Will it attract replies? Will it sink? Should it be vetoed from the start? Have you seen a Pelagos already? Should we stop talking about the Pelagos entirely? Should all mentions of the Pelagos go in a thread which already exists?

Not your decision to make IMO.
    Of course, the point you're missing - and its a key one - is that the OP asked for opinions (and he got them). You can refer to the "old guard" (in what might be deemed a slightly disapproving tone) all you want, but people who have been members here for some time have opinions that are just as valid as those who haven't. Indeed, assuming that those longer-standing members understand the culture and general dynamic here more than most, you could even argue that their opinions are in some ways the most valid.

(Note - edited for clarity)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th May 2020 at 13:18.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    <arching eyebrow>

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    <arching eyebrow>
    Yeah, I know...

Of course, the point you're missing - and its a key one - is that the OP asked for opinions (and he got them). You can refer to the "old guard" (in what might be deemed a slightly disapproving tone) all you want, but people who have been members here for some time have opinions that are just as valid as those who haven't. Indeed, assuming that those longer-standing members understand the culture and general dynamic here more than most, you could even argue that their opinions are in some ways the most valid.

(Note - edited for clarity)
    Thanks Tony and I can humbly say I got the opinions! Everyone’s opinions and point of views do matter and thanks for clarifying

Thanks
    S

Is it at this point in the thread that we all burst into song?