closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any plasterers here?

Master
    Blog Entries

Any plasterers here?

I’m in the process of doing up a rental property and not making much progress with plasterers.

I know getting plaster is impossible right now but I’m working on that.

it’s a 1950s 3 bed semi. Average size and I have removed all the wall paper, flooring and picture rails.

I want all the walls skimmed and just two ceilings.

The main rooms are about 3.3m by 3.3m2

all rads will be removed so it will be easy access and no other trades on site so free access to an empty property so no having to work around people or worry about floors/carpets.

my questions are,

1) how much plaster will I need (I know it’s hard to buy now so I am expecting to pay) my calculations say 18 x 25kg bags ... does that sound correct?

2) how long would the job take?

3) what are the going rates in Kent?

here are some photos

Master
    I’ve been looking for even a couple of bags of plaster to do my spare room but can’t find any - any some plaster board
    Surly your better to wait - I’ve seen some silly prices like £20+ a bag

When I refurb property I do my own plastering, judging the amount of plaster can be hard as different people work differently, what I would do if your supplying all the materials is buy 15 bags of multi finish to start with, a good plasterer can get though 5+ a day, once he has started and done a few rooms it will easier to judge how much extra is needed.

Are you preparing the walls first as in PVA/SBR and putting up the corner beads?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I’ve been looking for even a couple of bags of plaster to do my spare room but can’t find any - any some plaster board
    Surly your better to wait - I’ve seen some silly prices like £20+ a bag
    Maybe, but every month empty is a months rent lost. So maybe worth paying over the odds to get the job moving.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    When I refurb property I do my own plastering, judging the amount of plaster can be hard as different people work differently, what I would do if your supplying all the materials is buy 15 bags of multi finish to start with, a good plasterer can get though 5+ a day, once he has started and done a few rooms it will easier to judge how much extra is needed.

Are you preparing the walls first as in PVA/SBR and putting up the corner beads?
    Sounds sensible in normal times but I don’t want the trade to walk off the job because materials dry up .... I’ll need to see how supply is ...

Any thoughts on the time to do the place?

Hi

When I'm skimming I work out the m² (all wall and ceiling areas less openings) and then work out how much plaster I need by using the following highly un-scientific formula :)

Multiply each m² by 1.25 to 1.5. This gives a total water figure then multiply by 2.4 to give total plaster figure. Divide this by 30 to give the number of 25kg bags. The quality of the surface will determine the multiplier. On board it will be closer to 1.25, increasing over other surfaces to 1.5.

This will be for 1 coat. For the second coat I allow approx half as much as the first coat.

So for your example it looks like you have approx 170 m² area x 1.5 = 255 water x 2.4 = 612 plaster divided by 30 = 20.4 bags for 1 coat so approx 30 bags for 2 coat finish.

Hope that helps. This works pretty accurately for me but of course everyone is slightly lighter or heavier in the way they skim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Hi

When I'm skimming I work out the m² (all wall and ceiling areas less openings) and then work out how much plaster I need by using the following highly un-scientific formula :)

Multiply each m² by 1.25 to 1.5. This gives a total water figure then multiply by 2.4 to give total plaster figure. Divide this by 30 to give the number of 25kg bags. The quality of the surface will determine the multiplier. On board it will be closer to 1.25, increasing over other surfaces to 1.5.

This will be for 1 coat. For the second coat I allow approx half as much as the first coat.

So for your example it looks like you have approx 170 m² area x 1.5 = 255 water x 2.4 = 612 plaster divided by 30 = 20.4 bags for 1 coat so approx 30 bags for 2 coat finish.

Hope that helps. This works pretty accurately for me but of course everyone is slightly lighter or heavier in the way they skim.
    My calculations are that I have 165m2 to cover so your estimate seems very close.

I’d assumed skimming would be a single coat ... (see edit below)
    Last edited by Montello; 10th May 2020 at 16:26. Reason: The guy I’m talking to has just confirmed he does 2 coats.

Master
    Are the walls that bad? can't really tell by the pics.
    Can you not just spend a couple of days filling and sanding, maybe hire a steamer to get the rest of the old paint/paper off, might actually come up not too bad.
    At the moment materials are going to be stupid prices, ( recently seen a bag of multi-finish sell for £50!!!!!), and hard to come by especially in any quantities, and of course trying to find a decent plasterer at the moment will be challenging.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Are the walls that bad? can't really tell by the pics.
    Can you not just spend a couple of days filling and sanding, maybe hire a steamer to get the rest of the old paint/paper off, might actually come up not too bad.
    At the moment materials are going to be stupid prices, ( recently seen a bag of multi-finish sell for £50!!!!!), and hard to come by especially in any quantities, and of course trying to find a decent plasterer at the moment will be challenging.
    I’ve had the decorator in to quote and he says there is so much prep work to do that I’d be better off having them skimmed plus I’d end up with a better result.

I have about 3 weeks of work before I am ready to plaster so I’m hoping supply will improve over the next 3 weeks 爛

Master
    Don’t use a steamer or if you do take care not to leave it on too long

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Hi

Good method, I always skimmed with 2 coats, but now on board or walls/ceilings that are not too rough I use 1 heavy coat and a speed skim, finishing off with a plastic and thin stainless trowels, I was apprehensive at first but once I got the method sorted it helps speed up the process.

Again I only plaster for myself so not a professional by no means..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t use a steamer or if you do take care not to leave it on too long
    All wallpaper already off, only two smallish area blew from the whole area.

Master
    No sure how you got on but I’ve just managed to get some multifinish from my local wickes

No sure how you got on but I’ve just managed to get some multifinish from my local wickes
    I grabbed a dozen bags of multi yesterday too. Relief !! 😆

Master
    I was in my local wickes the other day and all the plaster bays were empty and looked like they had been for ages some local scumbag near me on Facebook was trying to flog 3 bags of multi finish for £150

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plasterer has started. Yesterday.

I have managed to buy 18 bags which look loads of chasing.

I have not had to pay a premium yet.

Looks like we may be a room short.

It’s not easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Plasterer has started. Yesterday.

I have managed to buy 18 bags which look loads of chasing.

I have not had to pay a premium yet.

Looks like we may be a room short.

It’s not easy to find.
    Not sure where you are but Wickes Bracknell has plenty..

BRACKNELL
    352 IN STOCK
    87.9 Miles
    WESTERN ROAD
    BRACKNELL
    BERKSHIRE
    RG12 1NS
    Tel: 01344 317400

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Not sure where you are but Wickes Bracknell has plenty..

BRACKNELL
    352 IN STOCK
    87.9 Miles
    WESTERN ROAD
    BRACKNELL
    BERKSHIRE
    RG12 1NS
    Tel: 01344 317400
    Wicks Maidstone had 742 bags showing at 7am so I rang to arrange click and collect and the guys refused my order saying there was 300 people queueing for it ... exaggerating I’m sure ... none showing at 8am ...

Master
    Closest to me is now Doncaster 194 miles 🙄

Building sand is the same round here. None anywhere, then gone pretty much as soon as it comes in.

Closest to me is now Doncaster 194 miles 🙄
    There’s none in donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk