closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: External monitor for MacBook Pro, resolution question

External monitor for MacBook Pro, resolution question

In the new working from home environment, my 13" MacBook Pro screen is inadequate for detailed 10hr+ daily Excel work (often with multiple windows). For the past 6 weeks I've been working with this linked up to my 10yr old 37" TV, but I do find my eyes get more tired compared with when I was in the office (which was a wide screen 4k monitor) - possibly as the resolution on this TV when hooked up is 1920 x 1080. So, I think it's time to buy a specific display monitor for home. My budget was £300 but find I'm now up to £400 - I've currently dithering between an Asus VP28UQ (28" 4K) and the BenQEW3270U (32" 4k), where I've chosen 4k as a consistent resolution with the one I used at work. I normally work on my dining room table with the screen around 2-3 feet away. I would prefer to use just the external monitor, not also use the laptop screen. A few questions:

1. Is 4k overkill when hooked up to a 2015 MacBook Pro which itself has a resolution of 2560x1600 (i.e. is the MacBook graphics card limited to 2560x1600)? If yes, then maybe I'm better limiting my search to a 2560 monitor (although 4k would future proof to some degree for laptop upgrades).
    2. I assume the Mac would provide the same max resolution on the 28 and 32 monitors, with the only quality difference being the PPI (pixels per inch)? Although I doubt I would notice the difference between the two for Office work.
    3. The cost difference is not insignificant (£240 vs £400), but 32" obviously gives a bigger canvas (e.g. for split windows) and 32" may better suit my 2-3 feet distance from the screen.

This will be mainly used for Office work no gaming, but I might occasionally hook it up to my PS4 (if better than my 37" TV).

Just wondering if I'm missing anything, or if anyone had some advice having gone through a similar exercise and maybe from actual user experience.

Much obliged!

Master
    I had a similar predicament although my work laptop is windows rather than the 13" MacBook Pro that I use at home. My IT department told me that my Dell Windows 10 machine wouldn't output in 4K so not to bother spending the extra although I'm not 100% convinced and not sure how to check for sure? However they did make a good suggestion about Ultra Widescreen monitors as I like the dual screen setups in the office. Windows 10 allows, without any additional software which can't be loaded onto my locked work laptop anyway, to split screens so two side by side pages look normal and also without the bezel borders of two separate screens. Excel spreadsheets show an awful lot of columns when in full screen mode even without the 4K resolution.

The cheapest Ultra Widescreen I could find at the time was this one;

https://www.box.co.uk/LG-34WK650-W-3...hoCX-EQAvD_BwE

although it was only £290 but prices of home working equipment have been jacked up since lockdown began.

I did buy the 29" version beforehand but sent it back as it had a screen flicker and it wasn't height adjustable which is big no no as I found out being hunched over it all day. Strangely it also seemed quite small too. The 34"version still only has the standard UWFHD 2560x1080 resolution but there's a big jump in price for the 4K equivalents. I've used it constantly for the last two months and it's been a life saver when working from home as, like you, I can't face working from a small laptop screen. I also actually prefer it to my office setup of dual 23" screens too and I would recommend it if you have the desk space.

Again for Windows use (Surface Pro via a dock) I bought this one which is working well. I have it set up as a dual display the 4k is meant to make docking/unlocking smoother.

It has DP input but no speakers.

Samsung LU28E570DS/EN 28-Inch LED 4K Monitor - Black Gloss - 249 on Amazon

Master
    I got that Asus 28UQ back in Sep 2018, and I’ve been really pleased with it.

It’s brilliant at its native 4k, although the panel isn’t the best for scaling to lower resolutions.

Even though it isn’t an IPS panel either, it’s got good viewing angles. I use mine for photographic work, and after profiling it with a hardware colour profiler, it stays pretty stable as well and doesn’t drift much between checks.

When using your work 4k monitor did you have the display set at 4k i.e. 3840 x 2160 pixels? I would be surprised if your Mac could support it so you wouldn't be getting the full benefit of a 4k monitor's capability. However, there really aren't any monitors produced in the same resolution as your Mac, as the 16:10 resolution lost out to 16:9 format so it kind of forces you into the 4k arena which, as you say would probably futureproof you when you upgrade your Mac. Dual monitors or a single ultra-wide monitor are excellent options for productivity if your graphics can drive them, or be upgraded to do so.

Your choice between 28" and 32" is really down to your work; both are good sized monitors. A difference of 4" is quite significant and for a single monitor I'd be be tempted to go 32". But then around 4 weeks ago I purchased a Samsung C49RG90SSU and no, I'm not a gamer. It was purchased purely to improve productivity and ease of working exactly as you describe.

Thanks all, that's very helpful. That's a good point on Ultrawide and split screen function, although I suppose one downside is less suitable for gaming (but then I will use primarily for office work). Although I note some reviews say the 21:9 @ 1440p doesn't work with the MB Pro (or most other equipment) ...

Yes, very annoying about the jump in prices - from reviews, a lot of these monitors were 25% or more cheaper last year.

That's some impressive 49" Samsung, Skier - assuming you've got an equally impressive desk to house it!

Thanks again - just need to decide now on both size and aspect ratio. (o;

P.S. I did check the resolution of the office monitor and it was up at that 3600+ range (can't remember the number exactly as only came across it, wasn't looking for it at the time). It was linked up to an office Windows desktop not a Mac (the Mac is my personal PC).
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 9th May 2020 at 16:06. Reason: P.S. added

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I got that Asus 28UQ back in Sep 2018, and I’ve been really pleased with it.
    Thanks Tooks. May I ask, have you noticed this issue? [Pasted from an Amazon review for this monitor.]

- BIG MINUS: when my laptop fall asleep it's really hard to make monitor work again - I need to insert (usb-c - hdmi) connector again a switch from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2 and back.

The Samsung was purchased to replace 2 x Dell Ultra Sharp 27" monitors and was a bit of an indulgence. That said it is hugely impressive and a delight to use. I have to use my work laptop for anything to do with work but connect it to this monitor via USB-C --> HDMI switch --> Monitor but it only uses half of it.

Last edited by Skier; 10th May 2020 at 00:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Thanks Tooks. May I ask, have you noticed this issue? [Pasted from an Amazon review for this monitor.]

- BIG MINUS: when my laptop fall asleep it's really hard to make monitor work again - I need to insert (usb-c - hdmi) connector again a switch from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2 and back.
    No, never had that. It’s always come back from sleep at the first shake of the mouse.

Mine is connected to a Windows 10 desktop, but my wife occasionally plugs her work laptop into a different port and I’m sure she’d be shouting at me if it did the same as in that review!

Craftsman
    28 inch Benq 4k user here. Worked fine with Macbook pro 16" and fine with my laptop too. Definitely go for 4k and 28 inch or bigger. Productivity increases as I can see and use 3 apps at the same time.

Craftsman
    What stand is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    The Samsung was purchased to replace 2 x Dell Ultra Sharp 27" monitors and was a bit of an indulgence. That said it is hugely impressive and a delight to use. I have to use my work laptop but connect it to this monitor via USB-C --> HDMI switch --> Monitor but it only uses half of it.

I run one of these for my Macbook:
    https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27UK850

Supports 4k and USB-C passthrough, so one USB-C cable from screen to Macbook carries power, video, audio, data. Very clean.

The USB-C feature won't be a selling point for you if your Macbook is a 2015 version, in which case you can simply use HDMI or Display Port to connect as you may be used to (I don't see why it wouldn't run 2560x1600 and in fact I do run a similar resolution for when I connect my Windows machine to the screen - you can quick switch between connected devices, be it Macbook, Windows machine, console, etc.). However, it means whenever you decide to upgrade your Macbook, your display will be USB-C compliant, which is the 'defacto' connectivity method for most new machines. Something to consider.

(I did look at LG UltraFine 5K Display and LG UltraFine 4K Display but the prices are difficult to justify).
    Last edited by cman; 9th May 2020 at 17:30.

Thanks again to everyone, and thank you Tooks for confirming (yeah, imagine your wife would have complained by now!). Currently erring towards the larger/pricier 32" BenQ, partly in case I find the 28" a bit small for multiple windows work (and I'd then be kicking myself, despite the £165 saving), partly the added connectivity (the good usb-c point) and partly as arguably gives more versatility (as bigger+4k). But, I'll sleep on it (no doubt by which point the price will have gone up, Sod's law!).

I had considered curved vs. flat, consensus seems to be mixed: some say curved = less eye-strain, but then others say harder to follow lines (e.g. across a spreadsheet say) with curved. If the primary benefit of curved is more the immersive gaming, then not a top priority for me.

Appreciate the input as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Pumatwin View Post
    What stand is that?
    I assume you're referring to the black glass riser stand with stainless steel legs. Assuming so:

Here

or Here

and probably many more places. Just search for 'monitor riser' or 'black glass monitor riser.'

Craftsman
    I assume you're referring to the black glass riser stand with stainless steel legs. Assuming so:

Here

or Here

and probably many more places. Just search for 'monitor riser' or 'black glass monitor riser.'

Great Thanks!

The Samsung was purchased to replace 2 x Dell Ultra Sharp 27" monitors and was a bit of an indulgence. That said it is hugely impressive and a delight to use. I have to use my work laptop but connect it to this monitor via USB-C --> HDMI switch --> Monitor but it only uses half of it.

Do you find that snapping multiple documents works on that? I've read that some people still find it easier with dual?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Do you find that snapping multiple documents works on that? I've read that some people still find it easier with dual?
    I'll be honest, I never use snapping. I use a tool called ZMover to control the position and size of windows when they first open. I also use DisplayFusion that has a similar feature called 'Triggers' but I found it unreliable and so reverted to ZMover for that function. Now I no longer have dual monitors I'm not sure if I'll continue using DisplayFusion though it is superb for multi-monitor setups.
    Last edited by Skier; 10th May 2020 at 17:54.

I'll be honest, I never use snapping. I use a tool called ZMover to control the position and size of windows when they first open. I also use DisplayFusion that has a similar feature called 'Triggers' but I found it unreliable and so reverted to ZMover for that function. Now I no longer have dual monitors I'm not sure if I'll continue using DisplayFusion though it is superb for dual-monitor setups.
    Ah - interesting... I sense a 49" in the near future...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Ah - interesting... I sense a 49" in the near future...
    I'd put a lot of money on the fact that you won't regret it, though at a significant price.

I've been looking at various software utilities to split the screen for specific uses and HERE'S a link to a review of various solutions. I haven't yet tried any of them though it may be useful to those considering ultra-wide monitors.
    Last edited by Skier; 12th May 2020 at 22:19.