closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen knife restoration help

Pen knife restoration help

This is one for the knife experts on here.
    I have this knife it’s en extremely sentimental piece to me. Left to me by my Grandad when he passed away. He always told me when I was a kid he got it when he was about 12 years old which would date the knife to CIRCA 1930.

This knife went everywhere with my grandad for many years including across the world when he served in the RAF WW2. He used to tell me about this and how despite his ship he was travelling on in 1943 being sunk he survived as did his watch and this knife!

For anyone interested the ship was the Duchess of York.

Now the knife itself now.. unfortunately it’s in need of some (I have no idea how much!) work. All the functions shown are extremely stiff... the blade is totally blunt. And the knife itself is showing it’s age in dirt..

I would love to restore this to its former glory.

And of course a picture of the watch

https://i.imgur.com/NX21RLS.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultrasonic cleaner?

Old toothbrush, soap & water can be used. I've also used WD40 to get muck off.
    Very fine wire wool (& I do mean very fine) can be used to clean up the metal. To be honest though I never like to get them that clean as I rather like patina. Go easy on the bexoid handle scales they're old & can sometimes crumble. Pipe cleaners are handy for getting inside the knife to clean out muck.
    I tend to use a bit of 3in1 on mine to oil them.

One thing i would say is that's not from 1930 - it's the wrong pattern. Those type came in late 1930's (earliest i've seen is 1939). HM Venture Slater by the look of it & there looks to be a 1940's date & Broad Arrow.

Nice old thing with great history be careful with it, thanks for posting pics & info'.

Master
    If knives could talk, this could tell you a few tales. Cleaning it will take much of it's history away.

Got to say, I'm kind of with MADDOG on that, that's why I never go too wild on cleaning the ones I have (& I have a lot..). I often only just oil them, oiling them seems respectful somehow !

Obviously it's your knife so do what you want with it but maybe go easy & don't go too mad/ think about it first.

Best of luck with it, i'm envious of you having one with a family connection - that's uber cool.

A very nice possession to have with a great story.

I would echo what has already been said, I recently cleaned up a 1940s Wenger Swiss Army Knife in the same way and it has come up really nicely.

I've had a couple of dealings with Etchy and I reckon he is the expert, there can't be anything he doesn't know about every maker and year of the British military clasp knife.

Careful when you have cleaned it up, these knives have savage springs and snaps.

I concur with Maddog, don't over restore. I had my father's WW2 Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife restored by a sword maker. It's perfect, but doesn't look right. It was in a dreadful state though, he used it to open and stir tins of paints throughout his life.

Over the week, a number of forum members have revealed that their fathers or grandfathers or close family members were in the RAF during WW2. Some fascinating stories: surviving being shot down, a sinking. What did your father do and where was he en route to?

Mine was in the RAF from 1943 to 1947 in the Middle-East and then Far East. I had no real interest, never talked about it much, wasn't really aware when I was young. It's only in later recent years, when too late, that I've developed an interest and am glad to have my father's knife, service book and grandfather's WW1 medals.

Show us the result when finished please.

Fascinating story, but I have to admit it did remind me a little of this:

[ ]

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Old toothbrush, soap & water can be used. I've also used WD40 to get muck off.
    Very fine wire wool (& I do mean very fine) can be used to clean up the metal. To be honest though I never like to get them that clean as I rather like patina. Go easy on the bexoid handle scales they're old & can sometimes crumble. Pipe cleaners are handy for getting inside the knife to clean out muck.
    I tend to use a bit of 3in1 on mine to oil them.

One thing i would say is that's not from 1930 - it's the wrong pattern. Those type came in late 1930's (earliest i've seen is 1939). HM Venture Slater by the look of it & there looks to be a 1940's date & Broad Arrow.

Nice old thing with great history be careful with it, thanks for posting pics & info'.
    Wow thank you and well observed! There is a date and broad arrow on there dates 1943! This still fits with him telling me it was with him when he was bombed on the duchess of York but it makes it bought a lot later than I was told by him.

I have given it a good scrub with a tooth brush and soap and it’s come up a bit better. Will need to wait for a bit to buy the other things suggested to clean it. I’m most definitely not DIY focused!

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    If knives could talk, this could tell you a few tales. Cleaning it will take much of it's history away.
    Yeah maybe you’re right all I really want is for it to be easy to open and if possible sharp?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    A very nice possession to have with a great story.

What did your father do and where was he en route to?

Mine was in the RAF from 1943 to 1947 in the Middle-East and then Far East. I had no real interest, never talked about it much, wasn't really aware when I was young. It's only in later recent years, when too late, that I've developed an interest and am glad to have my father's knife, service book and grandfather's WW1 medals.

Show us the result when finished please.
    I must admit to not knowing a great deal about what or where they was heading. I was only young when my granddad used to tell me about this. But I’ve found a decent article on the sinking of the ship which gives a bit more of an idea.

My grandad used to talk about it a lot and the funny story goes he was bombed and was one of the ones that ended up overboard.. he was rescued no problems and was thankfully not hurt. That was until he was asked if he had seen any sharks! He promptly fainted and needed treatment for a large gash in his head! Typical of my grandad!

Master
    There was a knife identical to that in my dads toolbox for years. My uncle (ex marine) wanted it but dad said that I should get all his tools "if anything ever happens to me!" Needless to say, the knife was not in the toolbox when I inherited it! It had a great feel and weight to it and dad kept it very sharp (the blade being ground away slightly over the years). I've never seen one since, so thanks for sharing.

Linkk to Google pics:- https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...=1920&bih=1058
    Last edited by tixntox; 9th May 2020 at 17:06.

Master
    My grandad was issued one of these knives during his service with the Pioneer Corps during WW2.

Can you imagine how many tins of bully beef that has opened.

What would be the best way of sharpening this?

Thanks for sharing your families story
    I have restored three of these
    I one was in a shocking state, another was NOS and caked in its preservative grease that had set hard.
    I left them all in a glass of WD40 for a week or so then give them an good wipe done with rags and kitchen towel, then a light rub down with Brillo pad to remove any rust.
    I then sit them in a glass of 3 in one for a another week or so before a final sharpen
    I gave one to my father and I keep 2 in different shooting bags, the screwdriver at the end is perfect for adjusting scopes
    They are just mild steel so if you plan on carrying / using it keep it well oiled and dry it asap if it gets wet. As mentioned the springs a a b@stard so keep your fingers well clear when closing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post

Wet / oil stone!

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    There was a knife identical to that in my dads toolbox for years. My uncle (ex marine) wanted it but dad said that I should get all his tools "if anything ever happens to me!" Needless to say, the knife was not in the toolbox when I inherited it! It had a great feel and weight to it and dad kept it very sharp (the blade being ground away slightly over the years). I've never seen one since, so thanks for sharing.

Linkk to Google pics:- https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...=1920&bih=1058
    I might have one knocking about in a similar condition to your father’s
    PM me if you want it I will put it in the post to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Thanks for sharing your families story
    I have restored three of these
    I one was in a shocking state, another was NOS and caked in its preservative grease that had set hard.
    I left them all in a glass of WD40 for a week or so then give them an good wipe done with rags and kitchen towel, then a light rub down with Brillo pad to remove any rust.
    I then sit them in a glass of 3 in one for a another week or so before a final sharpen
    I gave one to my father and I keep 2 in different shooting bags, the screwdriver at the end is perfect for adjusting scopes
    They are just mild steel so if you plan on carrying / using it keep it well oiled and dry it asap if it gets wet. As mentioned the springs a a b@stard so keep your fingers well clear when closing!

- - - Updated - - -

Wet / oil stone!
    Thanks. I guess I am lucky it is blunt! I am now very well aware of those springs!!!! Ouch!

I would love to sharpen it and use it occasionally. The value is massively sentimental and I have more modern knifes for everyday use.

This one was the NOS knife it dates from 1952

This one is from 1941 and has seen a hard life as the blade has been ground down from constant sharpening. It’s still sharper than a sharp thing though.

The Royal Navy are still issuing Jack Knifes like these to this day
    They are now stainless and some are lock knifes but the blade and tools (they have got rid of the rope spike though) are still the same
    I have one of them somewhere.

Found it!

If I could find a non Lock version it would be the perfect everyday knife as it is nice a slim for the pocket.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 9th May 2020 at 18:46.

Very carefully.

You're lucky in that a lot of these are just sharpened to nothing & yours still has quite a bit of blade left on it. Personally I don't sharpen mine as I don't actually use them they just live out their retirement with me. For everyday carry/ use I use a Swiss Army knife (I also find them easier on the finger nails to open !) However if you are going to sharpen it try to go easy & don't take too much blade off, it's evidently judging by some of the ones i have very easy !

Thanks for the compliment BillyCasper dunno about being an expert but i know a bit ! These are lovely old things & such a personal item, it's nice to preserve them.

Geek fact for those interested, you'll tend to find from around 1945 the tin opener also has a bottle opener curve added to the lower part of it, presumably due to crown cork bottle lids arriving here.

Let us know how you get on & as already observed - watch out for those blade springs !

Journeyman
    They are now stainless and some are lock knifes but the blade and tools (they have got rid of the rope spike though) are still the same
    In case you didn't know, and wanted to, it's called a Fid.

This one was the NOS knife it dates from 1952

This one is from 1941 and has seen a hard life as the blade has been ground down from constant sharpening. It’s still sharper than a sharp thing though.

Found it!

If I could find a non Lock version it would be the perfect everyday knife as it is nice a slim for the pocket.

Nice collection you have there.

Note the steel bolster on the 1941, i always rather like that feature.

The ABL is a Belgian version of the British army knife (in most respects identical) you'll see various versions of those including some with Colin Winand on the can opener instead of ABL.
    It's the Belgian ones that got me into this army knife madness, the blade springs in my experience are even stiffer on those, they're crazy !

Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    Every day is a school day!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Nice collection you have there.

Note the steel bolster on the 1941, i always rather like that feature.

The ABL is a Belgian version of the British army knife (in most respects identical) you'll see various versions of those including some with Colin Winand on the can opener instead of ABL.
    It's the Belgian ones that got me into this army knife madness, the blade springs in my experience are even stiffer on those, they're crazy !
    Thanks for the info I did not know that!
    I have never really thought of it as a collection before although I have lots. I tend to buy knifes to suit a particular need I might have.
    Small SAK for jeans pocket
    shooting bags - I collect Lee Enfield’s so period knifes seem to suit
    Work bags - SAKs and others
    Tool box - fixed Blade Morikniv
    Travel bag - Large lock SAK and a flick knife (I holiday in some strange places)
    Then there are garden knives too...

Anyway sorry to derail the thread.

Thanks for the info I did not know that!
    I have never really thought of it as a collection before although I have lots. I tend to buy knifes to suit a particular need I might have.
    Small SAK for jeans pocket
    shooting bags - I collect Lee Enfield’s so period knifes seem to suit
    Work bags - SAKs and others
    Tool box - fixed Blade Morikniv
    Travel bag - Large lock SAK and a flick knife (I holiday in some strange places)
    Then there are garden knives too...

Anyway sorry to derail the thread.
    Derail the thread? No chance! Much advice received thank you! And I’m loving the showing of the knife collections!

Ones like these are called marlin spikes or marling spikes. Fids are traditionally made of wood or bone.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...de4FhZEaI0jMCX

Journeyman
    I remember my great uncle had one of these, he served in the army during WW2 and was at Dunkirk. I always wondered what the spike was for.

With regards to sharpening I find the Lansky professional kits is very good, but expensive. No point buying one to use once or twice. Perhaps see if someone close to you has one (or similar) to get the blade back in shape and then you can maintain with a simple kit after that.

Derail the thread? No chance! Much advice received thank you! And I’m loving the showing of the knife collections!

Just for interest here’’re Swiss Army Soldier Knives of the same era, a 1939 Victorinox and 1944 Wenger with a modern day bog standard for comparison.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 23rd October 2022 at 15:16.

Journeyman
    Just for interest here’s Swiss Army Soldier Knives of the same era, a 1939 Victorinox and 1944 Wenger with a modern day bog standard for comparison.

What is inside the corkscrew on the modern one mate?

Small screwdriver

The old SAKs have a much better quality steel, reasonably light for EDC today.

Edit: sorry, I meant better steel compared to the British Army ones (or any other military one, for that matter).
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 11th May 2020 at 11:25.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
    What is inside the corkscrew on the modern one mate?
    As SJ said, it’s a small flat head driver for tightening specs. £1 or 2 from Victorinox, easily lost.

The old Soldier is about 125g, a solid thing with a strong spring and snap. A modern two layer Victorinox Tinker is about half that weight.

Not a marlinspike?

We always used the word fids for the stringy bits of peel in marmalade, but I am pretty sure that was my grandfather having a joke.

D

Journeyman
    As SJ said, it’s a small flat head driver for tightening specs. £1 or 2 from Victorinox, easily lost.

The old Soldier is about 125g, a solid thing with a strong spring and snap. A modern two layer Victorinox Tinker is about half that weight.

Thanks for that, I’m going to look them up

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Not a marlinspike?

We always used the word fids for the stringy bits of peel in marmalade, but I am pretty sure that was my grandfather having a joke.

D
    You missed someone else already post about marlinspike. I was going to include mention of this in my original reply, but the terms are largely interchangeable.

Journeyman
    You missed someone else already post about marlinspike. I was going to include mention of this in my original reply, but the terms are largely interchangeable.
    Edit: asked a question which was already answered in a previous post. Apologies.
    Last edited by Iain73; 11th May 2020 at 12:38.

Edit: asked a question which was already answered in a previous post. Apologies.
    Yes, splicing.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I was in the safe this morning so a quick pic of some kit of a similar age

1941 issue Jack Knife
    ATP Watch
    Lee Enfield No4 mk2
    No4 ‘pig sticker’ bayonet

Thanks for that, I’m going to look them up
    Looks like Victorinox levy a hefty charge for postage. Heinnie Haynes are charging £1.95 plus £2.00 postage. I think similar on Ebay. I picked up mine in the store in London.

Nice well used 1940 US Engineer's knife by Camillus.

Camillus files show the 1940 first issues had brass linings like mine.

1943 Venture, non-marlin spike model.

Ive picked up a few interesting penknives over the years, this first one I inherited from my Mum, I don't know its history but its likely a family one as she wouldn't have bought it, I think its best days are behind it , its had a few sharpenings in its time!
    Its a shame as its built very well, you can just make out 'Real Lambs Foot' on the blade and Britains Best on the blade near the hinge.

A couple of my military knives, the '52 because it has the marlin spike, I was wondering what the other numbers mean? CC1287 on this and CC1286 on the '53, is it the pattern number?
    Sadly the '53 is a bit knackered, the internal dividers have come away.

Lastly, a sentimental one, Sheffield made, my Grandpa's, quite small, the blades come out by twisting the rings on each side, you can make out the 'Dusty' inscription on the side. ( our surname is Miller )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Ones like these are called marlin spikes or marling spikes. Fids are traditionally made of wood or bone.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...de4FhZEaI0jMCX

Yep, this !

Fids originate from the square rigged sailing ships and are used to assist when splicing rope (as in Saint-Just's picture of an eye splice). They are made of wood as they are less likely to damage the fibers of the rope causing it to fray and break.

Marlin Spikes are made from steel and are used for splicing wire hawsers, needing to be more robust and pointed to help separate the wire strands of the hawser.

My thanks to the original poster on this thread and those who have contributed. It's inspired me to start a sympathetic restoration of 2 of my fathers clasp knives, one carried throughout his service in WW2 during his Naval service, the other acquired during his RNR service after the war.

Both are great tools and a symbol of Seamanship kills, proudly earned and carried by those in today's Navy after completing their seamanship section of training at HMS Raleigh, Jupiter Point school of Seamanship.

Some great knives on here, really good to see.

Concerning the CC on the British ones, CC stands for Clothing Code as the British Army class knives as items of personal clothing/equipment. I'm not however sure of what the actual numbers themselves mean/relate to but if anyone does know i'd really like to find out.

Very cool knives, Jason.

Here is a Boker 'barlow' style, and a Valley Forge fishtail stiletto. Both over seventy years old.

Czechoslovakian MIKOV lock knife, 1960's. Excellent build quality with a thick blade and beautifully jigged antler scales.

Last edited by bobbee; 11th May 2020 at 19:45.

Small (2 inches closed) antique lady's manicure set.
    Tortoiseshell scales and ivory Tortoiseshell backed nail buffer.
    Double sided file and very sharp cleaner.

Could anyone help with these two?
    Jigged bone scales, both EYE Witness Sheffield.
    Both have undamaged, tight pivots, and the blade tangs do not look worn at all. They open And snap tightly into place.
    Has anyone seen this type of angled back blade before? I tried asking on a knife site some years ago but got no help. Possibly were once hooked end gardening knives.

All really nice there Bobby, I can’t help with your question but I love the look of the Boker in particular.

Has anyone seen this type of angled back blade before? I tried asking on a knife site some years ago but got no help. Possibly were once hooked end gardening knives.

Taylor’s Eye Witness peach/fruit tree pruner?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both have undamaged, tight pivots, and the blade tangs do not look worn at all. They open And snap tightly into place.
    Look like mushroom knives?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi bobbee

can you post more photos of the Barlow?

Ta

Taylor’s Eye Witness peach/fruit tree pruner?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Look like mushroom knives?
    Both of the above bear some similarities with mine, fatter handle with tear drop shape and a broad blade. However, I see more similarity with a solid non-folding bill hook, with the blade arching backwards somewhat.

Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Hi bobbee

can you post more photos of the Barlow?
    Ta

Here you go, some wear to both blades but still extremely sharp!

Those are definitely gardeners' grafting knifes. It think both have lost a little of their hook at the end, but even without it is a pretty traditional grafting knife pattern.
    Felco make some of the the best gardening tools, this is their grafting knife

Probably Dave, but still doesn't account for the backward leaning blades.
    If I try to hold the blades 'straight', the back spring is pushed out, and when let go the blades click into position with the lightest touch.
    Imagine trying to very slightly close a normal blade by just a couple of millimetres, then touch the blade and it will snap open. That tells me these blades are supposed to be like they are, and I have never seen this anywhere else.
    I will try to contact Taylor's Eye Witness, as they are still trading.

How do they sit when closed?
    D