closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Online drum course?

Master

Online drum course?

Hi

My son has taken up the drums. He had an electronic kit for a few months and recently bought an acoustic kit which is in his room.

Just wondering if there are any online drum courses / teachers along the lines of Justin Guitar for the guitar players that he could follow along with. At the moment I think he’s been dipping into YouTube videos which is fine, but I think a more structured course might be helpful.

If there are any drummers out there who have any info or insight to impart that would be appreciated.

Cheers

My son is a professional drummer and graduated from the RNCM last year. He has been teaching online for a while and would be happy to offer lessons to your son. I'll put you in touch with him if this is of interest.

My 14yr old Grandson is becoming quite good too. He's drumming to rock and last night sent me a video of him doing Dave Brubeck's Take Five.
    He's just got an electronic kit at the moment but he can adjust the sound to alter the drum type. Constantly surprises me how good he is.

Craftsman
    Check out Drumeo on YouTube its excellent

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

I decided to try learning the drums last year and after quite a bit of research I decided to buy this guy's "Ultimate Drumming Solution Digital" for $97:

http://www.icanplaydrums.com/

His site is a bit confusing and follows some common hard sell patterns, but I don't think he's intentionally out to trick people. Probably just copying how others have built similar sites. It's hard to tell exactly which course is which without reading through everything, but as it turns out, the $97 one has all the basics and then the $197 one has more extras on top. If you buy the former, you can upgrade later for $100, so it doesn't end up costing more that way. And then you don't end up spending loads on some massive course, only to find out it's rubbish.

What I liked about this one is that it's a complete, self-contained course that you actually own so can refer back to whenever you like (no subscription fees like Drumeo). He doesn't have the same marketing budget as others and I've noticed no longer even seems to appear in the first couple of pages on Google! But he seems to know his stuff, is a good teacher, his videos are well put together and the package is probably the best value for money for a complete course that doesn't skip over the basics. If you want one-to-one online lessons at some point, he does those too for a separate fee.

I'm only partway through (haven't had much time to sit down and practise unfortunately - in fact I'm just setting up a dedicated space now so I can start again) so I can't say much about successful learning outcomes, but from the videos I have watched so far I have not felt like I got bait-and-switched as is often the case with digital courses. The quality of the videos is consistently high. They get to the point, with just the right amount of information vs time spent explaining things, IMO.

If however a structured online tutoring type of course is better suited to how your son learns then maybe something like Drumeo would be better, but that one felt to me like it was more about marketing and trying to get as much money out of people as possible. They do have a number of free videos, as do many others. However, I think the problem there is that those free videos are all part of their marketing, so they aren't going to provide a complete structured course for free.

Craftsman
    I started a couple of summers ago after buying a set of vdrums on here (cheers jpjsavage!), i did “learn to play the drums” course by billy baker on udemy.com. Think it cost about £15 and got me started. I watch a few of the drumeo vids for specific things and tend to use covers on YouTube to learn songs and find bits i like, being able to watch vids at reduced speed is really handy!

Master
    Thanks chaps. I'll get him to check out the links etc.

Only just seen this. I've been teaching drums since 2008 to all ages and ability levels and am now doing online lessons via Skype and Zoom etc. Feel free to PM me if it's of interest. Cheers.

Craftsman
    Drumeo has a HUGE amount of well produced, expertly taught and (most importantly) FREE content on YouTube. It’s incredibly varied, with content for all genres and tastes, plenty of big names doing guest lessons etc. I’d really rate it.

Even when I was teaching drums for a local music shop I’d use content from Drumeo to help plan lessons and I’d regularly point my students to it.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Do you have access to linkedin learning via work? Quite a lot of structured drumming courses on there.

find a local - or not so local - drum tutor - they've all gone webconferencing now...
    My mate's drum tutor who he used to go to near his work is now doing the lessons from home via zoom