closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TalkTalk BB anyone with them?

Master
    Blog Entries

TalkTalk BB anyone with them?

They didnt used to have a great rep but wondering if thats changed much? Need to change broadband and with a quick search its either these or plusnet.

I'm with them, never had any issues.

Blog Entries
    With them through a provider. No issues in my area, fibre at 37-38 Mbps - fine for my use.

I've been with them 15 years now, never had an issue. They even upgraded us to super fibre, sent the latest router, and kept us on £23 a month.
    I know they've had bad press, but most of them have at one time or another.

Master
    I'm not currently with them but was with them until fairly recently when I switched to Plusnet.

Positive aspects were that I never had a problem with the connection speeds/any dropouts and usually when I rang them at the end of my contract, they would give me the new customer rate again. I also got an updated router when requested when the old one started having issues at no cost to me. Also had well priced SIM only plans which were on Vodafone's network as I recall.

Negatives is that all their customer details were stolen at some point a few years ago which lead to a load of spam calls to my TalkTalk number for quite a while. It also took some time to set me up when I moved house for which they blamed OpenReach but I wasn't sure who was actually at fault.

Switched when they tried to charge me far more than new costomers with no real need given I didn't need a new connection or router! Switched to Plusnet and have had no problems with them either if that is of use.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not bad then. Was with Plusnet a few years ago with no problems. Talktalk router looks pretty decent. I can get upto 40mb download on my line so the faster fibre option seems the best option. So it's either £25.50 with TV box and free Amazon prime for a year or £23 with £75 cash back.

In a Which magazine survey last month Talk Talk came equal second worse with Virgin.
    Only a firm called Hyperoptic were deemed more inept

Talk talk are ok
    They are behind the offering of Shell BB - no issues at all

Vodafone have a cracking deal on bb at present according to hotdeals

They’re all the same running off openreach

It’s just the CS that changes

Plus net I see people leaving in droves

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post

Negatives is that all their customer details were stolen at some point a few years ago which lead to a load of spam calls to my TalkTalk number for quite a while..
    It also lead to 16,000 customers having their bank details stolen and the company got £400,000 fine from the ICO. (Max they could have imposed was £500K)
    Talk Talk had 101,000 subscribers leave after the incident

Master
    Blog Entries
    My mum was with them. Loads of issues and poor service. Went back to BT.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Talk talk are ok
    They are behind the offering of Shell BB - no issues at all

Vodafone have a cracking deal on bb at present according to hotdeals

They’re all the same running off openreach

It’s just the CS that changes

Plus net I see people leaving in droves
    Didn't take much notice of shell. Good price, what's there router like? Vodafone isn't a bad deal but it's for 24months. 18 is bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Didn't take much notice of shell. Good price, what's there router like? Vodafone isn't a bad deal but it's for 24months. 18 is bad enough.
    The router is fine
    All pretty straight forward tbh

There are normally deals on the comparison sites for vouchers or cashback etc

Don’t go for the basic one the middle range upwards are best is what I see

I was with them in the past. Other than a data breach which exposed my email, username and password and a pitiful response from them, the actual broadband itself was acceptable. Not ground breaking speeds but reliable and fairly stable after the initial setup period.

Plusnet is my current supplier. Same deal as plusnet from a speed and reliability basis. Be sure to include a phone bundle with the package as their call charges are horrendous otherwise. We assumed it was included until the first bill came in.

Sent you a pm with some info

Have a look

Have a look

A Macdonald's money off voucher?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have a look
    Cheers.from what I see the router from shell is very basic with only 2.4 GHz band. Talktalk hub has dual band with beam forming and good WiFi range.

I've opted for talktalk faster fibre for £25 a month with TV package and a year's worth of Amazon prime. Not bad I reckon seems our prime has just ended.

I used to have it, and it was fast and pain free.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    A Macdonald's money off voucher?

Master
    Mom and dad were. Shocking customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I was with them until about 16 months ago when a technical problem hit. Their call centres were all based somewhere in the Indian subcontinent with a poor level of English and a total inability to deviate from script to resolve the issue, leaving me with no BB for about 6 weeks in the run up to and over Christmas, the busiest time for my other half’s business. If I recall correctly I spent something over 20hrs on the phone trying to get a resolution. Total compensation was about £18...

Dumped them after that and went to Plusnet. Uk call centres and people at their end with an ability to think rather than recite.

Personally I wouldn’t touch talk talk again - there are better options out there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    I was with them until about 16 months ago when a technical problem hit. Their call centres were all based somewhere in the Indian subcontinent with a poor level of English and a total inability to deviate from script to resolve the issue, leaving me with no BB for about 6 weeks in the run up to and over Christmas, the busiest time for my other half’s business. If I recall correctly I spent something over 20hrs on the phone trying to get a resolution. Total compensation was about £18...

Dumped them after that and went to Plusnet. Uk call centres and people at their end with an ability to think rather than recite.

Personally I wouldn’t touch talk talk again - there are better options out there.
    What was the technical problem?

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    What was the technical problem?
    Apologies, I've only just seen your question.

I never really got to the bottom of what had gone on and its a while ago now so my memory may be playing tricks, however:

We had weeks of going round in circles, including them sending Openreach to the house (no problems found), then resending them to the local distribution box (again no problems). Long storey short, because I had been with them for so long (started out with a Tiscali 'non-wifi' router) I had been successfully using a TPLink router rather than their Talk Talk issued one. TT would offer no advice or share any settings info other than the really basic configurations; clearly their scripted responses ran out of steam at that point. Eventually, and after much web browsing, which wiped out my 4G data allowance at the time, I found an advanced setting on the router that didn't align with latest t'internet opinion, changed it and the whole thing sprang back into life. I can't for the life of me remember which setting it was but it was well buried in the router setup utility. With my paranoid head on I suspect, although it was never confirmed, that they remotely changed a configuration setting overnight and ported it out to 'their' routers thereby leaving me unable to connect - that's pure conjecture on my part and feels somewhat unlikely to be honest but they would never confirm or deny whether that could or did happen. All I know, with my tin hat very firmly in place, is they were very keen indeed for me to start using one of their issued routers rather than a third party unit (giving them greater control presumably). They even sent me one eventually; with typical TT style it was delivered after I had moved to PlusNet...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    Apologies, I've only just seen your question.

I never really got to the bottom of what had gone on and its a while ago now so my memory may be playing tricks, however:

We had weeks of going round in circles, including them sending Openreach to the house (no problems found), then resending them to the local distribution box (again no problems). Long storey short, because I had been with them for so long (started out with a Tiscali 'non-wifi' router) I had been successfully using a TPLink router rather than their Talk Talk issued one. TT would offer no advice or share any settings info other than the really basic configurations; clearly their scripted responses ran out of steam at that point. Eventually, and after much web browsing, which wiped out my 4G data allowance at the time, I found an advanced setting on the router that didn't align with latest t'internet opinion, changed it and the whole thing sprang back into life. I can't for the life of me remember which setting it was but it was well buried in the router setup utility. With my paranoid head on I suspect, although it was never confirmed, that they remotely changed a configuration setting overnight and ported it out to 'their' routers thereby leaving me unable to connect - that's pure conjecture on my part and feels somewhat unlikely to be honest but they would never confirm or deny whether that could or did happen. All I know, with my tin hat very firmly in place, is they were very keen indeed for me to start using one of their issued routers rather than a third party unit (giving them greater control presumably). They even sent me one eventually; with typical TT style it was delivered after I had moved to PlusNet...
    Ah ok. Ill be using there provided router so things will be easier if i need help. We shall see what happens.

Awful company, I wouldn't use their broadband if it was free