closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lease Ended Tenant's Rubbish

Craftsman

Lease Ended Tenant's Rubbish

My tenant gave his 30 days notice at the beginning of April and has now handed the keys back. Given the current issues he asked if he could leave some rubbish temporarily in the garage for a couple of weeks as he was having issues disposing of it. I agreed to this as he had been a decent long term tenant and I'm having some work done once he left

I did the inspection today and there's a bit more than I was expecting. This isn't really a problem because I can hold back his deposit for the price of a skip and the cost of someone to chuck it in.

Of more concern is the car he didn't mention with 2 flat tyres. What would be the process with this if he doesn't shift it. I guessing it might be difficult to get a scrappy to take it as I won't have a V5. Can I also hold back a notional amount for the hassle of arranging this if it comes to it, even though it will be removed for free

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Have you tried to speak to him about it?

It could always be moved onto a public street where a parking warden might earn his keep

If the car is on private property it’s a civil matter (cost involved), if the hand brake fails and it ends up park outside on a public highway............

I worked for a company once with a car park next to a petrol station, came in Monday morning to find a car dumped across the entrance to our car park, police station just around corner said it was a civil matter so nothing they could or would do. That night Someone pushed it round the corner, it didn’t stay outside the police station long.

If the deposit is sizeable, send him a very polite letter stating that your are keen to reconcile his account, and it would help if he removed all the items, to allow you to do this.

(and change the locks on the house)

Master
    You hold the deposit or DPS?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    You hold the deposit or DPS?
    DPS

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Have you tried to speak to him about it?

It could always be moved onto a public street where a parking warden might earn his keep
    I will do but just checking my options before I do to cover worst case scenario. Moving it won't be possible it has 2 flat tyres and as the property is in the country it's about 100 yards down a drive to the public road

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    DPS

The do like to favour the tenant in any apres exit negotiations

Craftsman
    Interesting, I have never had issues with them favouring the tenant in any situation in fact I've always found them very reasonable, it helps that most tenants are useless with passwords or proof etc and generally ignore most correspondence once they have left a property.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I will do but just checking my options before I do to cover worst case scenario. Moving it won't be possible it has 2 flat tyres and as the property is in the country it's about 100 yards down a drive to the public road

Hopefully he stays in contact and you get this resolved.

If you have to resort to it, pumping the flats up is an option. Most flats tend to be slow rather than blow outs, but 100y is a bit of a trek for moving.

SydR
    You can get a V5 by filling out a V62 and sending it to the DVLA along with £25.

They will write to the registered keeper at the address they have on file and act on their response. If there is no response within a set time limit then you get a V5 by default.

I did it for a vehicle left in my designated parking spot for a property I bought. The DVLA letter came to that address so I ignored it and some time later a V5 turned up. Vehicle was collected for disposal the day after!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Hopefully he stays in contact and you get this resolved.

If you have to resort to it, pumping the flats up is an option. Most flats tend to be slow rather than blow outs, but 100y is a bit of a trek for moving.
    Ask around for the use of axle dollies. Jack the car up enough to affix the dollies and then you can move it freely. Alternatively baking trays can be bumped under the wheels if the surface is smooth enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    You can get a V5 by filling out a V62 and sending it to the DVLA along with £25.

They will write to the registered keeper at the address they have on file and act on their response. If there is no response within a set time limit then you get a V5 by default.

I did it for a vehicle left in my designated parking spot for a property I bought. The DVLA letter came to that address so I ignored it and some time later a V5 turned up. Vehicle was collected for disposal the day after!
    Thanks for that very helpful. My plan is to stay in contact and hopefully get it resolved amicably. It's good to know there is another option.

I intend to send him an email requesting the vehicle and all rubbish be removed by a specified date. In the meantime I will be retaining x amount of deposit to cover disposal costs.
    Last edited by Taxboy; 7th May 2020 at 08:49.

Journeyman
    Thanks for that very helpful. My plan is to stay in contact and hopefully get it resolved amicably. It's good to know there is another option.

I intend to send him an email requesting the vehicle and all rubbish be removed by a specified date. In the meantime I will be retaining x amount of deposit to cover disposal costs.
    I think that is fair, and unless he is quite well off he probably won’t want to waste x amount of cash for something he could do quite easily himself.

Ref the rubbish in the garage. I've just used a local waste company to remove a load of rubbish we've cleared out during this lockdown and it was £35 for them to clear away. It was a fair amount and would probably been a skip full (albeit a small skip), but maybe a cheaper option? Make sure you ask for their waste certificate and insurance, as there are loads of rogue collectors who are charging and then just fly tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Ref the rubbish in the garage. I've just used a local waste company to remove a load of rubbish we've cleared out during this lockdown and it was £35 for them to clear away. It was a fair amount and would probably been a skip full (albeit a small skip), but maybe a cheaper option? Make sure you ask for their waste certificate and insurance, as there are loads of rogue collectors who are charging and then just fly tipping.
    Surely they must be fly tipping if they only charged £35? Last time i took a van load of rubbish to the tip, about 10 yrs ago granted, they charged £100 per tonne, can't have been much profit for them at £35 if they paid to tip it

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Surely they must be fly tipping if they only charged £35? Last time i took a van load of rubbish to the tip, about 10 yrs ago granted, they charged £100 per tonne, can't have been much profit for them at £35 if they paid to tip it
    They took all away in a flat bed, which also had stuff already on it so maybe they were collecting a few loads before going to the tip. They were recommended by a local facebook group and were highly recommended by all that had used them.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    They took all away in a flat bed, which also had stuff already on it so maybe they were collecting a few loads before going to the tip. They were recommended by a local facebook group and were highly recommended by all that had used them.
    I used a company like this but made sure it was a legit company who would provided an official receipt explaining it was all recycled/dealt with correctly, if they did fly tip it I was in the clear regarding fines and the company could be traced, councils search through addresses on boxes/paper dumped and it can comes back to the addressee to sort it out..

Cost wise we paid £250 to fill a flat bed with high sides, lot of rubbish but fair price, £35 sounds ridiculous to be fair..

Craftsman
    Just to update. Car had sold and tenant thought it would have been collected before inspection day.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Cost wise we paid £250 to fill a flat bed with high sides, lot of rubbish but fair price, £35 sounds ridiculous to be fair..
    £35 can't be a legal dump?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment/77151361

Craftsman
    You need to check that they are a registered waste carrier

https://environment.data.gov.uk/publ...rriers-brokers

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

It all checked out and the company is on that register. As I said I was a part load for his flat bed, so I guess he was also picking up a number of £35 (or whatever he wants to charge) loads to make it worthwhile. The company was recommended by a number of different people, paperwork checked out so I have no worries. Whether they’ll be around in a years time as he may not made any profit is down to them.

Not necessarily.

“They do like to favour whichever party isn’t in breach of the Tenancy Agreement”.

Journeyman
    I would contact a local breakers yard and find out arrangements for them collecting the car, normally they pay you a small fee. Once you have this write to the old tenant and give him the option either they remove the car or have the local breakers remove it. I would give them a dead line. This would be useful correspondence if you need to claim from the DPS as it shows you have tried to be reasonable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEM1 View Post
    I would contact a local breakers yard and find out arrangements for them collecting the car, normally they pay you a small fee. Once you have this write to the old tenant and give him the option either they remove the car or have the local breakers remove it. I would give them a dead line. This would be useful correspondence if you need to claim from the DPS as it shows you have tried to be reasonable.
    The issue has now been resolved amicably. However the problem for me initially was
    1) The local breakers needed a V5, which I would have needed to obtain from DVLA as advised earlier in the thread
    2) The invoiced cost to me would have been low but the hassle and difficulty in re-letting would have been high, namely would you rent a house where you couldn't use the drive for an unspecified period because a car had been abandoned on it ?

Blog Entries
    burn the garage down, problem solved!

Journeyman
    I have rental property with a garage and for some reason garages seem to attract annoying dodgy tenants. References are a waste of time as landlord always give references as they want to get rid of the bad tenant!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    burn the garage down, problem solved!
    Why didn't I think of that ??