closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some things that are legal but are frowned upon by many?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'll go with parking across someone else's driveway. Not necessarily alll the way across, but enough to make driving in or out a pain.

R
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I always thought that was illegal, you live and learn, fountain of knowledge on here.

It is illegal under section 86 of the traffic management act 2004.

I used to commute into Cheltenham a few years back, and on the way in on the A40, just past GCHQ, there was a roundabout, with dual carriageway entry and dual carriageway exit that immediately (maybe 50m later) filtered down to one lane. The otuer lane had no other exits or turns.
    The stupidly self righteous would happily queue in single file back onto the roundabout (blocking other traffic from entering) rather than use the outer lane and filter in, by turns.
    The death stares I got from people to halt my use of the outer lane were ridiculous. There were even near collisions where they might suddenly lurch out into the second lane to stop me.
    I have no idea what they thought the lane was for, but using it was definitely frowned upon by many.
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I thought it was, I will never believe anything I read on here again, obviously apart from your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I will never believe anything I read on here again, obviously apart from your posts.
    Haha. The first part of that is probably wise, the second part probably not.

I’ll nominate filtering on a motorcycle. Some people really seem to hate that.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 6th May 2020 at 18:06.

Great thread.

Shame it's in the G&D though.

My prediction is that its final resting place will be the BP.

The thing I wish to nominate, I can't without breaking EP's rules.

Tongue firmly in cheek but I’d like to nominate celery. Satan’s food, and damn well should be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    A bit difficult to change other countries' laws, isn't it?
    Depends on the country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what is defined as a "special enforcement area"?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Driving a Citroen 2cv
    Fond memories.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Tongue firmly in cheek but I’d like to nominate celery. Satan’s food, and damn well should be illegal.
    Essential in most soups and stews imo

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Depends on the country!

You referring to Iraq? I will admit that one worked out, but the cost was enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I used to commute into Cheltenham a few years back, and on the way in on the A40, just past GCHQ, there was a roundabout, with dual carriageway entry and dual carriageway exit that immediately (maybe 50m later) filtered down to one lane. The otuer lane had no other exits or turns.
    The stupidly self righteous would happily queue in single file back onto the roundabout (blocking other traffic from entering) rather than use the outer lane and filter in, by turns.
    The death stares I got from people to halt my use of the outer lane were ridiculous. There were even near collisions where they might suddenly lurch out into the second lane to stop me.
    I have no idea what they thought the lane was for, but using it was definitely frowned upon by many.
    D
    There’s one similar on the Kings Lynn bypass, it’s carnage with the self righteous.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Do you know what is defined as a "special enforcement area"?

R
    According to the Department for Transport, a Special Enforcement area is an area where parking is, in all other instances, permitted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Where on the stair?
    Right there

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I’ve found an answer to this. I drive an innocuous looking small hatchback, but it does have 340 horsepower. People a) tend to stay overtaken and b) by the time they’ve worked out what’s going on, I’m generally in the next county.. 

Cheers,

Plug
    Not sure that 340bhp is all that much these days, with the weight the your average car! Half that amount was, once-upon-a-time a great deal of fun though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Curses - wrongly shaped brackets.
    { } curly brackets
    [ ] square brackets
    ( ) parentheses

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    { } curly brackets
    [ ] square brackets
    ( ) parentheses

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
    You missed:

<> angle brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You missed:

FTFY

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post
    Nowt wrong with the latter, it's the drivers who don't drive through to he furthest pump on the island that need a poke...
    I had a guy get most upset with me about this at my local Shell. Once he took a break from his yelling and screaming, I had to point out that I was stopped at the only pump in the petrol station which sold the grade of fuel I was after. He continued to yell - more to hide his embarrassment I think. Saw him at the grocery store some days later and he averted his eyes and walked in a different direction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    Not sure that 340bhp is all that much these days, with the weight the your average car! Half that amount was, once-upon-a-time a great deal of fun though.
    c. 1500Kg. Not exactly lightweight, but not too lardy either. It’s no slouch!

Cheers,

Plug

Grand Master
    I neither like nor dislike it, I can eat it, but oddly enough by some strange coincidence both my current wife and first wife hated the stuff!

No one mentioned the amount of horse shit on the roads...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    340BHP is plenty compared to most cars on the road. 300+BHP would generally be a sub 6 second 0-60 which is quicker than 90% of other cars on the road and that would geberallg extrapolate to higher overtaking speeds too.

Master
    Voting Tory?

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I neither like nor dislike it, I can eat it, but oddly enough by some strange coincidence both my current wife and first wife hated the stuff!
    That makes them both keepers in my book

SydR
    Farting in a lift!

Absolutely indispensable for a Mirepoix

Journeyman
    Haha. The first part of that is probably wise, the second part probably not.

I’ll nominate filtering on a motorcycle. Some people really seem to hate that.
    Totally agree. Some people get so angry that you are making progress and they aren’t and try to block you. If you want to get to work faster, simple solution, get yourself a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I had a guy get most upset with me about this at my local Shell. Once he took a break from his yelling and screaming, I had to point out that I was stopped at the only pump in the petrol station which sold the grade of fuel I was after. He continued to yell - more to hide his embarrassment I think. Saw him at the grocery store some days later and he averted his eyes and walked in a different direction :)
    I suppose yelling and screaming unnecessarily in public is also one of these things that are frowned upon.

Lots of occasions in London where cyclists have shouted at irresponsible cars or pedestrians, or vice versa. Been guilty of it myself as I almost crashed into pedestrians who decided to take a stroll on cycle lanes. However the stupidest occasion was when a younger cyclist started shouting at an older man for apparently crossing the road when it was green signal for cars and bikes (it definitely red). He threw quite the tantrum especially after my mate and I pointed out that he was the one in the wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    c. 1500Kg. Not exactly lightweight, but not too lardy either. It’s no slouch!

Cheers,

Plug
    right go on then, what do you drive?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    A dangerous game (imho) yelling at strangers who have done nothing wrong. Get into the habit of doing that nonsense and it is absolutely certain that one fine day summary justice will be served in a very painful manner!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    A dangerous game (imho) yelling at strangers who have done nothing wrong. Get into the habit of doing that nonsense and it is absolutely certain that one fine day summary justice will be served in a very painful manner!
    Even at someone who has done wrong TBH.

Master
    Time to upset some, you know lorries can overtake on duel carriage ways even if the speed difference between them is only 1 mph sometimes ???

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I expect it is legal ( I haven't checked ) but seeing people spit in the street really winds me up. I detest seeing it. Just plain nasty and unnecessary.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Time to upset some, you know lorries can overtake on duel carriage ways even if the speed difference between them is only 1 mph sometimes ???

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    That should be illegal. The Highway Code does say this ‘move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. ‘

Vapeing. Purely on the grounds that it should look cool in a Bladerunner sci-fi noir vibe, but actually looks like someone sucking a car part whilst surrounded in a cloud of candy floss smelling smoke. It’s about as cool as people who used to wear floor length leather coats with wraparound sunglasses for a few years after the Matrix came out. I suspect if you drew a Venn diagram of the 2 there would be huge crossover

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    The guy behind you in the petrol station who drives round you to get to the next pump!
    What's wrong with that as long as they leave room for you to drive out?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Txt spk.

Shud b outlawed cos it's fkin annoying innit, fam ?!

Staying on the driving theme.

Totally agree about lorries taking miles to overtake +

Middle lane hogs.
    Rear fog lights on in rain (other than an absolute deluge)
    People who don't get above 40 in 60 limits.
    People who brake every time a car comes towards them in the other direction, or brake for even the slightest bend whilst dawdling in any case.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

This is pre lockdown of course- when someone in a queue is standing too close behind you in your personal space. Happens regularly in supermarkets at the check out-Very annoying and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    People who don't get above 40 in 60 limits.
    ... and who keep on driving at 40 when they come to a 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Even at someone who has done wrong TBH.
    Indeed, anyone can be a psycho.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

People who pull out on you at a junction, and then park 100 feet up the road.

Interesting.
    I'm one of those unaware this was a thing.
    I've just had a quick look and, while you're correct, there's a suggestion it'd be seen as dangerous driving if you drive through them.
    Would be interesting to see a test case in court over something like this.
    Presumably if you drove through a temporary red and had a crash you'd be liable but, if taken to court for driving through one safely, would a judge decide it too risky to open the can of worms of finding you not guilty of dangerous driving?

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Driving through a Red light on temp traffic lights, when you can clearly see through to the other side and there is no oncoming traffic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I agree! In this instance, I actually thought he was behaving like a baby and found it really funny (after the initial shock). I tried not to laugh in his face and ended up smirking and looking away which I'm sorry to report didn't help with his temper ;)

Master
    Having a fight while social distancing seems an interesting conundrum. Spears? Boxing gloves on sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Having a fight while social distancing seems an interesting conundrum. Spears? Boxing gloves on sticks?
    Stern words at 2 meters?

Ninja stars.

Ninja stars.
    Like it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Cutting the overhanging branches of a tree or shrub when the said tree or shrub is in the neighbours garden.
    Nothing wrong with that. Why is that bl@@dy tree so close to the fence in the first place. (Again, legel but frowned upon)