closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some things that are legal but are frowned upon by many?

Master

What are some things that are legal but are frowned upon by many?

I thought this was an interesting read on a forum today.
    This could go for miles or die on its arse.

I'll kick it off
    In several U.S. states, including California, Colorado, New York and New Jersey, it’s 100% legal to marry your first cousin.
    People who go the wrong way in Tesco when there are clearly marked arrows
    The guy behind you in the petrol station who drives round you to get to the next pump!

It is perfectly legal to marry your first cousin in the UK
    Last edited by Kevin; 6th May 2020 at 11:17.

Is it even frowned upon?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is it even frowned upon?
    It's a bit weird isn't it? Too close to home for my liking.

This is a very wide subject from fruit on a pizza to sodomy.

Have to say though that as long as there's enough room for the person at the rear pump to get through, I'm happy to pull through to the front pump.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am referring to the petrol station.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    The guy behind you in the petrol station who drives round you to get to the next pump!
    The guy in front of you at the petrol station who spends 20 minutes inside shopping, and then ten minutes faffing around when he gets back into his car. Or lady of course .

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I thought this was an interesting read on a forum today.
    This could go for miles or die on its arse.

I'll kick it off
    In several U.S. states, including California, Colorado, New York and New Jersey, it’s 100% legal to marry your first cousin.
    People who go the wrong way in Tesco when there are clearly marked arrows
    Nowt wrong with the latter, it's the drivers who don't drive through to he furthest pump on the island that need a poke...

Is it even frowned upon?
    In Norfolk it is compulsory

Cutting the overhanging branches of a tree or shrub when the said tree or shrub is in the neighbours garden.

Red face

Why is that frowned upon? Seems fine to me! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Cutting the overhanging branches of a tree or shrub when the said tree or shrub is in the neighbours garden.

Red face

Tax avoidance by large corporations or wealthy individuals. I don’t have a problem with it though. It’s legal. If Governments don’t like it, change the bloody law!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Tax avoidance by large corporations or wealthy individuals. I don’t have a problem with it though. It’s legal. If Governments don’t like it, change the bloody law!!
    A bit difficult to change other countries' laws, isn't it?

Morris Dancing.

I'm fine with the sodomy.

Though, like christmas presents, it is better to give than to receive...

Red face

There’s no need to change other Countries’ laws. Laws can changed locally to target suspected tax evasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    A bit difficult to change other countries' laws, isn't it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Absolutely! I was cutting the tree overhanging my conservatory so my neighbour decided to spray his hosepipe on me while I was up a ladder with an electric chainsaw! My guess is he frowned upon it too.

There’s no need to change other Countries’ laws. Laws can changed locally to target suspected tax evasion.
    That only shows that you have no idea how international tax avoidance works. Apple, MacDonald's and others have perfected a system which allows them to shift profits from high-tax to low-tax countries almost at will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_e...rofit_shifting

Absolutely! I was cutting the tree overhanging my conservatory so my neighbour decided to spray his hosepipe on me while I was up a ladder with an electric chainsaw! My guess is he frowned upon it too.
    It is fine but my last neighbour would moan at me for cutting back, in fact he insisted that he did it for me for which I refused. My brother had an issue with a chap with a row of fir trees which overhung his garden. He put up with the roots killing a 3 ft band of grass along the length of the trees for years and had yearly squabbles with him when he attempted to trim them back.

Says he, with a forum name like that..

Parking comes in lots of legal forms but winds the hell up out of a lot of people..

Blog Entries
    I would say people that use their front fog lamps when visibility is not reduced to 100 metres or less by fog or falling snow but then, it isn't legal - it's simply some stupid folks either think it looks cool and don't give a damn or, are simply ignorant of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    I would say people that use their front fog lamps when visibility is not reduced to 100 metres or less by fog or falling snow but then, it isn't legal - it's simply some stupid folks either think it looks cool and don't give a damn or, are simply ignorant of the law.
    Oh but it is illegal as it's identified as a MUST and MUST NOT in the highway code

Corrected as Ralphy pointed out that I'm not paying attention

...and try as I might I can't work out what the code is for strikethrough...
    Last edited by Gyp; 6th May 2020 at 13:45.

What are some things that are legal but are frowned upon by many?

Driving through a Red light on temp traffic lights, when you can clearly see through to the other side and there is no oncoming traffic.

I have gone around people who are sat at the red, and they frown at the very least.

Not sure if frowned upon by many, or just ignorance of the rules...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Oh but it is illegal as it's identified as a MUST and MUST NOT in the highway code
    That's what he said.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    In Norfolk it is compulsory
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll go with parking across someone else's driveway. Not necessarily alll the way across, but enough to make driving in or out a pain.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'll go with parking across someone else's driveway. Not necessarily alll the way across, but enough to make driving in or out a pain.

R
    I always thought that was illegal, you live and learn, fountain of knowledge on here.

That's what he said.

R

You're right.

I think I've misread that sentence about a dozen times before the true meaning appeared.

I've either got lockdyslexia or angry man on the internet syndrome

Driving a Citroen 2cv

R
    Illegal in France, even parking across the front of your own driveway where there is a dropped kerb - a flic can have you towed away without notice. Fun fact - in French the word for a dropped kerb is 'a boat'

...and try as I might I can't work out what the code is for strikethrough...
    S and /S in square brackets :)
    Last edited by DMC102; 6th May 2020 at 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Driving through a Red light on temp traffic lights, when you can clearly see through to the other side and there is no oncoming traffic.

I have gone around people who are sat at the red, and they frown at the very least.

Not sure if frowned upon by many, or just ignorance of the rules...
    My bold for irony purposes - it's not legal to jump temporary traffic lights: the offence of contravening a red light signal is contained in s. 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Regulation 10 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 specifies which signs come within the ambit of s. 36. One of these signs is "(g)the red light signal when displayed by the light signals prescribed by regulation 33 or by regulation 35".

Reg 33 provides for fixed traffic lights. Reg 35 provides for "Portable light signals for the control of vehicular traffic". So as long as they comply with the requirements of Reg 35 they are enforceable under s. 36. Penalty is a fine and obligatory endorsement/optional disqualification.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's a bit weird isn't it? Too close to home for my liking.
    Think how much it would save on wedding invites.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    S and /S in square brackets :)
    Curses - wrongly shaped brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    My bold for irony purposes - it's not legal to jump temporary traffic lights: the offence of contravening a red light signal is contained in s. 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Regulation 10 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 specifies which signs come within the ambit of s. 36. One of these signs is "(g)the red light signal when displayed by the light signals prescribed by regulation 33 or by regulation 35".

Reg 33 provides for fixed traffic lights. Reg 35 provides for "Portable light signals for the control of vehicular traffic". So as long as they comply with the requirements of Reg 35 they are enforceable under s. 36. Penalty is a fine and obligatory endorsement/optional disqualification.
    What I would have expected. Wonder whether poster also ignores temp speed limits?

Master

R
    I was under the impression it was illegal to park over someones driveway if there was a car in the drive, but no car in the drive then perfectly legal.

I'll nominate overtaking.

There was a time when pulling a well judged overtake was a skill most drivers had learnt, and if you were happy to sit behind the car in front you left a good gap so if someone behind you wanted to overtake they could pull into the gap and overtake one car at a time as the gaps in traffic presented themselves.

These days everyone seems to be driving at 40mph everywhere with inches separating the traffic. If you overtake two cars driving in such a manner in a 60 more often than not you can expect to get flashed for being some kind of maniac, or having made the overtake you find the car behind is now travelling at 60 because he's hit the accelerator in an attempt to make it harder for you to pass. I'd share my thoughts on these people but this is the wrong place on the forum.

Master
    [S]Curses - wrongly shaped brackets[S/].
    [S]No, that didn't work. So where do they go?[S/]

Or that

What I would have expected. Wonder whether poster also ignores temp speed limits?
    Of course. It’s only meant for others who cannot drive proper like.

;)

Let me try and find where I got my info from on cutting through temp lights, I definitely read it somewhere sometime - but as your details Lampoc seem pretty thorough and clear cut, I think I need to reconsider my actions!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    [S]No, that didn't work. So where do they go?[S/]

Or that
    Put the / before the second S

No, that didn't work. So where do they go?

Or that
    There

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Morris Dancing.

Not unlike Brussel Sprouts - If they're forced upon you at school, you're unlikely to enjoy them as an adult.

Works for Morris Dancing too, I suspect...

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the final point.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    There
    Here?

Here?
    Where on the stair?

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Of course. It’s only meant for others who cannot drive proper like.

;)

Let me try and find where I got my info from on cutting through temp lights, I definitely read it somewhere sometime - but as your details Lampoc seem pretty thorough and clear cut, I think I need to reconsider my actions!

I also thought it was okay to go through on red as long as you can clearly see the other side, bit of a grey area there as to what constitutes clear obviously. But as you say, Lampocs post seems thorough enough to be correct. Maybe we have been operating under the spell of an urban myth.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Within limits - taking photos of people in public spaces - [in the UK, do not try this next to an Iranian airbase] - people have some really weird ideas about their right to privacy or what you can legally photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Morris Dancing.

I dislike - Parking in a parent & child Space without having a child in the car. Its lazy and selfish to do this.

I find people dislike - Gambling*. I'm keen on horses; the bigger races like Cheltenham/Ascott/KingGeorge/the derby/etc.
    About half of my team at work are same as me (they like a flutter) and I could often see the other half 'frown' on this.

*I say gambling as a person whos never placed a bet worth more than £10 !

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the final point.
    Mmmm... Flirty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I'll nominate overtaking.... you can expect to get flashed for being some kind of maniac
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    ...you find the car behind is now travelling at 60 because he's hit the accelerator in an attempt to make it harder for you to pass.
    And particularly this, it makes my blood boil and seems to be becoming more common.

Master
    The guy in front of you at the petrol station who won’t drive round the car in front of him to get to the empty pump, thereby unnecessarily increasing your wait.
    Last edited by Cynar; 6th May 2020 at 17:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    This!

And particularly this, it makes my blood boil and seems to be becoming more common.
    I’ve found an answer to this. I drive an innocuous looking small hatchback, but it does have 340 horsepower. People a) tend to stay overtaken and b) by the time they’ve worked out what’s going on, I’m generally in the next county.. 😀

Cheers,

Plug