closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self employed covid support eligibility checker

Does payment happen auto or do you get email notification. Anyone had theirs yet?

Applied Thursday, hit the back account today, mustn’t grumble.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Applied Thursday, hit the back account today, mustn’t grumble.
    Interesting. I applied Wednesday and I haven’t received anything yet so clearly not done on a first come first served basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Interesting. I applied Wednesday and I haven’t received anything yet so clearly not done on a first come first served basis.
    When you applied, did you not get on screen confirmation that you would be paid in 6 working days ?
    I did and I'm sure that's the standard gov.uk screen so expect a payment Wednesday or Thursday.

Blog Entries
    Applied Wednesday and it was in the account this morning

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Applied Wednesday and it was in the account this morning
    Did you get an email telling you to go and check or confirming payment ?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Did you get an email telling you to go and check or confirming payment ?
    I checked my emails daily including junk/spam boxes and have never received a single email through the whole process. I know I put the correct email in as I got my wife to double check it before I clicked submit.

Blog Entries
    No emails or texts, was talking to someone yesterday and they applied Thursday and it was in their account on Monday morning so certainly not a case of first come first served

Applied Thursday. No emails off then but money showed today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    When you applied, did you not get on screen confirmation that you would be paid in 6 working days ?
    I did and I'm sure that's the standard gov.uk screen so expect a payment Wednesday or Thursday.
    Yes, had the screen confirmation showing how much I was going to get last Wednesday.
    I checked my bank this morning and it’s gone in.
    I didn’t doubt I was going to get the money, just highlighting that they are not doing it on a first come first served basis.

I checked my emails daily including junk/spam boxes and have never received a single email through the whole process. I know I put the correct email in as I got my wife to double check it before I clicked submit.
    That’s weird - even their confirmation screen shows this

Craftsman
    I applied last Wednesday 8am on the dot, up to this minute, no emails or money.
    Didn't really expect any till Wednesday or Thursday this week, just strange they staggered the sign up times if they didn't follow queue though same with payments.

Yes, had the screen confirmation showing how much I was going to get last Wednesday.
    I checked my bank this morning and it’s gone in.
    I didn’t doubt I was going to get the money, just highlighting that they are not doing it on a first come first served basis.
    They never suggested they would and I'd imagine there has been an awful lot of applications. At least you're fixed up now.

Blog Entries
    Just had an email saying my claim is being processed and will be in my account in 3 working days

I applied for the Grant on 15th (Friday) and when I checked my account this morning (20th) it had been paid in. Gotta love the Government's magic money tree!
    For the record I haven't received any communication either via telephone, email or SMS, during this entire process and that includes the initial email that they were meant to send to remind you to apply.

Master

Self employed covid support eligibility checker

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    They never suggested they would and I'd imagine there has been an awful lot of applications. At least you're fixed up now.
    The fact that they invited different people to apply on different dates, would kind of lead one to believe that they would process the grants on that basis.
    It’s not a big deal, I was just airing my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I applied for the Grant on 15th (Friday) and when I checked my account this morning (20th) it had been paid in. Gotta love the Government's magic money tree!
    For the record I haven't received any communication either via telephone, email or SMS, during this entire process and that includes the initial email that they were meant to send to remind you to apply.
    UPDATE: I have just received an email from HMRC telling me that they are processing my claim and that I should receive payment withing the next 3 days...

Had the first email this evening to say they’re processing my claim and the payment will be made within 3 working days, shame I got the money on Monday, seems their systems are all to cock

Good to see there'll be another self-emp grant issued in August to cover another three months of income. Not quite as generous at 70% of average monthly profits over the last three years but still pretty good imo.

Good to see there'll be another self-emp grant issued in August to cover another three months of income. Not quite as generous at 70% of average monthly profits over the last three years but still pretty good imo.
    I didn’t see that. Automatic like last time? I’ve stopped watching the briefings religiously every night - kinda fed up hearing them now. Actually frustrated is a better word.

I didn’t see that. Automatic like last time? I’ve stopped watching the briefings religiously every night - kinda fed up hearing them now. Actually frustrated is a better word.
    I hear you. I believe it's automatic as before and we will be invited to apply some time in August. Will update as and when more details come through.

I hear you. I believe it's automatic as before and we will be invited to apply some time in August. Will update as and when more details come through.
    Thanks sir!

Quick update: It looks like you will need to confirm your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus on or after 14 July to claim the second grant.

Over at MSE:
    "This rule is somewhat bizarre. The Government's own press release from 26 March stated: "The income support scheme... will cover the three months to May," ie, March, April and May. Logic (and basic counting) therefore suggests the second three-month grant covers June, July and August.

So it's very strange to read the new rule that says you have to declare your business was impacted after mid-July, and we think it's unfair on businesses heavily impacted in June but are recovered by then.

Having spoken to HMRC, apparently the grants don't now relate to a specific three-month time period, they are just grants - though based on three months of trading profits.

But the rules ARE simple. The first grant is for those whose 'business was impacted by Covid-19 before 13 July and the second, which comes in August, for those 'impacted by Covid-19 on or after 14 July'. If impacted before and after the dates, you are due both."

Definition of impacted is interesting. You could conceivably have older contracts cash flow still paid to you during the period in question but still be affected by the inability to get out to find any new business. Impacted yes but on pure income numbers it could look like no - not sure how that would work tbh.

Definition of impacted is interesting. You could conceivably have older contracts cash flow still paid to you during the period in question but still be affected by the inability to get out to find any new business. Impacted yes but on pure income numbers it could look like no - not sure how that would work tbh.
    It’s very interesting; if just one customer cancels or defers an order due to COVID-19 then you’re eligible for the grant whether or not your turnover is reduced.
    It’s conceivable that a business is turning over far more and/or is making far more profit than pre lockdown yet still be eligible for the grant.

Anyone heard about the August payments? Are notifications coming out soon?

Master
    Anyone heard about the August payments? Are notifications coming out soon?
    I hear through that taxi grapevine that it’s the 17th.

I hear through that taxi grapevine that it’s the 17th.
    Ok. Be interesting to hear how it goes

Yes, according to the HMRC website applications will open on the 17th August.

I suspect it will be the same as before, register an interest then get a time and date to submit your application with payment a few days later.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You have to declare your business as been affected by COVID during July and August, I think they will monitor your sales and expenses to show this is true. The date is August 17th

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    You have to declare your business as been affected by COVID during July and August, I think they will monitor your sales and expenses to show this is true. The date is August 17th
    How would they do that? Sales and expenses would not show if you were impacted if you use HMRC qualification rules. If even one customer didn’t do business with you due to corvid then you are “affected” if you go by HMRCs wording

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Specifically "You need to have been adversely affected by coronavirus on or after 14 July 2020 to claim it."

I have lost at least 50% of my teaching due to the schools closing and all of my gigs (at least one per week) since lockdown so I will most definitely be claiming again. The fact that I have managed to adapt so that my income remains considerably more than my outgoings is irrelevant as far as I can see.

I’ve had the email saying I can claim from tomorrow however, Im in 2 minds tbh. Yes my business has been adversely affected even though we’ve had a higher turnover in the past few months. We have a 5 week lead time and never been so busy however it’s been seriously affected because both of our wives who share the clerical side of the business aren’t there meaning we have to do everything. We spend at least 2 hours a day ordering parts, making job cards, preparing bills and seeing customers out which ordinarily they would do. So in my mind although we’ve had a higher turnover it’s not as high as it’s potential because we’re not spinning the spanners. There’s a few other minor things like making the place Covid safe and parts prices have shot up.
    Morally my brains telling me not to claim but the other sides saying yes do it.

I’ve had the email saying I can claim from tomorrow however, Im in 2 minds tbh. Yes my business has been adversely affected even though we’ve had a higher turnover in the past few months. We have a 5 week lead time and never been so busy however it’s been seriously affected because both of our wives who share the clerical side of the business aren’t there meaning we have to do everything. We spend at least 2 hours a day ordering parts, making job cards, preparing bills and seeing customers out which ordinarily they would do. So in my mind although we’ve had a higher turnover it’s not as high as it’s potential because we’re not spinning the spanners. There’s a few other minor things like making the place Covid safe and parts prices have shot up.
    You should claim - you will no doubt have knock on effects to your business as well. You don’t have to claim immediately of course / you could wait till October

Master
    Blog Entries
    My business is down 40% so I’m claiming.

If I was flat or up I don’t think it’s correct to claim, the money is there to help those effected.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

If I was flat or up I don’t think it’s correct to claim, the money is there to help those effected.
    The problem with this logic is it’s all or nothing. If you are down 40% you get the same as someone who’s down 60 or 89%. I guess there’s a line where it doesn’t “feel” appropriate to claim but it’ll likely be different for everyone.

I may be wrong but I don’t see anywhere it states you can’t claim if you’ve not been affected financially ie higher turnover
    From late March we’ve been doing everything alone which means we’re losing approx 2hrs a day to clerical work
    Add to that the time being lost to clean down cars before and after it’s quite considerable.

So whilst I’d say that our turnover has gone up the virus has stopped us from turning over a great deal more.
    Having spoken with the accountant today who made it clear he wasn’t by no means telling us to claim was certain that our explanations were good enough to be adversely affected.

There is a tick box at the start of the process - have you been negatively affected.

I have assumed that half of my customers will be closed down or re-structured by March/April 2021.
    One client has already gone down owing £500, and an ongoing 6-year contract was closed when the Covid restrictions started in mid March.
    The full effects on the business will not be known until the middle of next year.
    The grant will be eligible for income tax if I manage to break £12k profit during this tax year - the grant is not free money, it is the return of the hard earned money we have paid into the system over the years.
    I will be making a valid claim as the negative effects are largely unknown at the moment.

A special thanks must go to all of the lock-down breakers who are not helping to resolve the problem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I may be wrong but I don’t see anywhere it states you can’t claim if you’ve not been affected financially ie higher turnover
    From late March we’ve been doing everything alone which means we’re losing approx 2hrs a day to clerical work
    Add to that the time being lost to clean down cars before and after it’s quite considerable.

So whilst I’d say that our turnover has gone up the virus has stopped us from turning over a great deal more.
    Having spoken with the accountant today who made it clear he wasn’t by no means telling us to claim was certain that our explanations were good enough to be adversely affected.

If your business is in a phase of high growth and your increase is less than forecast I guess you can claim to have been negatively effected.

I guess you can address the moral dilemma by asking yourself ... if this cash was available for an MP to claim do you think they’d take it? ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I just tried to claim but the website says that I'm not eligible. Surprising since I've only worked 3 days a week for the last 10 years & didn't work at all from the start of lockdown until 8th June. And since 8th June only 1-2 days a week. I've earned very little for the last 6 months. My tax returns show that I made a profit of over £50K for the last 3 years, but not much over. I guess that's the reason?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I just tried to claim but the website says that I'm not eligible. Surprising since I've only worked 3 days a week for the last 10 years & didn't work at all from the start of lockdown until 8th June. And since 8th June only 1-2 days a week. I've earned very little for the last 6 months. My tax returns show that I made a profit of over £50K for the last 3 years, but not much over. I guess that's the reason?
    If you were over £50k you don’t qualify.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you were over £50k you don’t qualify.
    Thanks, saves me bothering

Thanks, saves me bothering
    Did you get the first payout?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did you get the first payout?
    No, I didn't apply

No, I didn't apply
    It does appear to be a cliff edge qualification. - either all or nowt

Master
    Blog Entries
    Haha, no worries, my expectations were low. I'm sure we'll all end up paying for it in due course.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It does seem a very on/off threshold. Rushed legislation always seems to fail. Just look at today’s A levels U turn.

Yay! More free money! Capped at £1875 this time though but better than nothing.

Yay! More free money! Capped at £1875 this time though but better than nothing.
    I couldn’t see the detail anywhere for the self employed

One things for sure - there will be payback and no such thing as free money

Master
    Blog Entries
    Link?

When do we apply?