closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self employed covid support eligibility checker

Self employed covid support eligibility checker

Don’t know if everyone is aware of this but here is the link for the gov website to check if you qualify for support.
    You'll need your tax reference number and then your NI number to check, you can then enter your email and phone number and they will contact you as soon as you’re able to apply. It seems they’re staggering applications as I can claim from the 15th May where as my business partner is a few days later.
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/self-...ayer-reference

I’ve also read that they pay within 6 days which is some comfort for anyone struggling.
    FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 5th May 2020 at 19:40.

Passed this onto a friend. Thanks for posting.

Master
    Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries
    Cheers for that Frankie, first I've heard about. Do I need to contact them or do they contact me now that I've entered my details? One page says they will contact me but the last page says I can contact them Monday 11th

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Cheers for that Frankie, first I've heard about. Do I need to contact them or do they contact me now that I've entered my details? One page says they will contact me but the last page says I can contact them Monday 11th

When you enter your details it will tell you if you qualify for the support and then gives you the date from when you can apply.
    My accountant tells me that they already have the financial details so nothin needs to be entered other than some basic info and the bank account details you want the payment made to. They will text and email you to remind

Journeyman
    I logged onto my tax gateway account and it has stated that i'm eligible and can apply from 8am on 13th May.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    When you enter your details it will tell you if you qualify for the support and then gives you the date from when you can apply.
    My accountant tells me that they already have the financial details so nothin needs to be entered other than some basic info and the bank account details you want the payment made to. They will text and email you to remind
    Thanks again, will let you know how I get on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    I logged onto my tax gateway account and it has stated that i'm eligible and can apply from 8am on 13th May.
    Thanks again, will let you know how I get on Monday
    Will be interesting to know how you get on as you’re both before me

Blog Entries
    Just checked again , got date wrong it's Wednesday 13th so will update then

Thanks Frankie, my wife is self-employed and I’m on furlough.. having to watch every penny.

Will get her to check tomorrow ;-)

Scary to see they are already looking to cut the threshold from £50k to £30k.

The cynic in me had already wondered whether they will build in to the 20/21 tax return if your eventual income was greater than £30k you would not have been entitled so have to pay the money back
    Last edited by nick67; 6th May 2020 at 14:08.

Master
    Both the wife and I have had letters off HMRC. I’m self employed, the wife was self employed but she’s been working in a factory for nearly a year and a half now, however last years tax return for her would have been for the previous year hence part of that year she was self employed.
    Out of curiosity she put her details into the system to see if she was eligible and it came back saying yes.
    I’ve told her not to make a claim because the reality is, she isn’t eligible but I do wonder how many people will exploit this loophole if they are in the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I do wonder how many people will exploit this loophole if they are in the same position.
    Probably, thousands.

can anyone shed any more info on the process?
    my partner has logged in with UTR and NI number etc and has been given a future date to apply. does this mean she is likely to get something? i’m wondering if they do a quick check on the tax return data and that determines if you move onto being given the second date or not? has anyone entered their data and then got an ineligible response and no second date?

Master
    Out of curiosity she put her details into the system to see if she was eligible and it came back saying yes.
    Did she indicate cessation of s/e in her 18/19 SA return or advise HMRC separately?

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    Scary to see they are already looking to cut the threshold from £50k to £30k.

The cynic in me had already wondered whether they will build in to the 20/21 tax return if your eventual income was greater than £30k you would not have been entitled so have to pay the money back
    First I've heard about this?? I thought the cut off was £150k profit over the last 3 year accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    First I've heard about this?? I thought the cut off was £150k profit over the last 3 year accounts?
    In reply to both, I thought I read last night that they may extend the self employed support - like the furlough today, but reduce the threshold to £30k. £1 over and you’re out.

Previous limit was £50, or as you say, £150k over 3 previous years or average?

Both the wife and I have had letters off HMRC. I’m self employed, the wife was self employed but she’s been working in a factory for nearly a year and a half now, however last years tax return for her would have been for the previous year hence part of that year she was self employed.
    I’ve told her not to make a claim because the reality is, she isn’t eligible but I do wonder how many people will exploit this loophole if they are in the same position.
    Wouldn’t she be part eligible as she must have paid her taxes for years self employed?

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    In reply to both, I thought I read last night that they may extend the self employed support - like the furlough today, but reduce the threshold to £30k. £1 over and you’re out.

Previous limit was £50, or as you say, £150k over 3 previous years or average?
    Ah ok thanks. Will it be the average of £30k pa over the last 3 year accounts ie £90k?
    Last edited by beechcustom; 12th May 2020 at 20:38.

I logged in and it said I was eligible TO APPLY - but didn’t confirm success. I think that only happens if you take it to the next stage on 13th.

Honestly I think the first stage is doing little more than checking that you are registered as self employed and at second stage if she’s not eligible it will say it at that point.

Ah ok thanks. Will it be the average of £30k pa over the last 3 year accounts ie £90k?
    Whatever your profit is. As long as its n more than £50k pa. If its £30k a year, thats £90k our the 3 years. Divide by 3 years gives you the £30 k, Divide by 12 months'
    gives you £2.5k per month... times this by 3 months, that gives you £7.5k. Thats the max you can get anyway, £2.5k a month.

If they decide to extend it further, i read the threshold would drop from £50k to £30k profit to claim...

Whatever your profit is. As long as its n more than £50k pa. If its £30k a year, thats £90k our the 3 years. Divide by 3 years gives you the £30 k, Divide by 12 months'
    gives you £2.5k per month... times this by 3 months, that gives you £7.5k. Thats the max you can get anyway, £2.5k a month.

If they decide to extend it further, i read the threshold would drop from £50k to £30k profit to claim...
    Thanks. I probably didn't make myself clear. My understanding is that the first round of support is an average threshold (ie you can have shown profits in excess of £50k pa provided your profits didn't exceed £150k over the three accounting years. Will this second round of support with reduced threshold be the same? Can one have shown more than £30k profit in one year but still be eligible if total profits for the last three years are less than £90k?

Thank you for posting this! Entered and I’m eligible to apply from the 14th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Did she indicate cessation of s/e in her 18/19 SA return or advise HMRC separately?
    I phoned up HMRC and spoke to them directly. We receive tax credits and with her moving from self employed to employed her earnings were going up and I wanted to make sure we weren’t claiming too much and then run the risk of the government clawing it back. I explained to the guy on the phone that she was no longer self employed, so they should have the correct information for her on file.

Thanks. I probably didn't make myself clear. My understanding is that the first round of support is an average threshold (ie you can have shown profits in excess of £50k pa provided your profits didn't exceed £150k over the three accounting years. Will this second round of support with reduced threshold be the same? Can one have shown more than £30k profit in one year but still be eligible if total profits for the last three years are less than £90k?
    My advice to you is to register with your details and see what comes of it. There appears to be a criteria and you appear to be asking questions that nobody can answer clearly.
    Hit "SEND" and the gov will let you know. It really is that simple.

I phoned up HMRC and spoke to them directly. We receive tax credits and with her moving from self employed to employed her earnings were going up and I wanted to make sure we weren’t claiming too much and then run the risk of the government clawing it back. I explained to the guy on the phone that she was no longer self employed, so they should have the correct information for her on file.
    What if you're not claiming enough ?
    The gov website is designed for you to input your information then they'll work out yes or no.
    Nobody on here can say either way.

Master
    Thanks for the link. Passed on to those I know who may be able to apply.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Well that was easy enough, took about 2 minutes. Should be in the bank within 6 working days, we’ll see

Well that was easy enough, took about 2 minutes. Should be in the bank within 6 working days, we’ll see
    I can apply tomorrow so thanks for letting us know.

Blog Entries
    Website crashed a few times but once on there it was very easy and my calculations had already been done
    Thanks again Frankie for the link, very much appreciated

A client called me to say his calculations were done for him and his 3 yr average was 57k pa but it still said grant awarded. Is the 50k threshold the profit x 80%?. Sounds like it might be...

Craftsman
    Found this to be very simple

Grant will be paid to me within 6 days

Credit to HMRC for making it straightforward

Done mine today and as others have said very simple process with no inputting of figures needed

Master
    Blog Entries
    Done, await the payment. Simple process.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Done mine today and as others have said very simple process with no inputting of figures needed
    Yeah FFF, of course same here. They already have your figures based on your previous submissions and your UTR.

Did anybody go through their tax returns and check what 80% average profit was before they applied? Just wondering if the amount going to be paid is what you worked it out to be

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    Did anybody go through their tax returns and check what 80% average profit was before they applied? Just wondering if the amount going to be paid is what you worked it out to be
    Yep to the first part of your question. Dunno to the 2nd part til tomorrow at 8am.

Journeyman
    I claimed yesterday, 8am just like they said i could. Took 2 minutes.

Got myself a bounce back loan as well. That took 2 minutes also. Applied last night and it hit my account this morning, can you believe.

Who did you apply with for the BB loan?
    Sound efficient...

I claimed yesterday, 8am just like they said i could. Took 2 minutes.

Got myself a bounce back loan as well. That took 2 minutes also. Applied last night and it hit my account this morning, can you believe.

Journeyman
    Who did you apply with for the BB loan?
    Sound efficient...
    Santander. I have a business account with them which may be why it came through so quickly. I have heard that they are dragging their heels a bit but that isn't my experience.

Whatever your profit is. As long as its no more than £50k pa. If its £30k a year, thats £90k over the 3 years. Divide by 3 years gives you the £30 k, Divide by 12 months'
    You’ve forgot the 80% stipulation. £30k would give you £6k; you’d need at least £37.5k to receive the full £7.5k grant.

Just done mine,took 2 minutes, what an easy process!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    Just done mine,took 2 minutes, what an easy process!!!

Me too. Agreed.

So the amount you are paid in the next 6 days or so, is that over a 3 month period. So if you return to work in a couple of weeks you need to contact them. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    So the amount you are paid in the next 6 days or so, is that over a 3 month period. So if you return to work in a couple of weeks you need to contact them. Correct?
    No. You can remain working throughout as I have done. It's a grant and does not need to be paid back but does need to be declared as income in your 20/21 accounts so will be subject to tax / NI.

EDIT: As I understand it it is a one off payment to cover March to May of this year.

Self employed covid support eligibility checker

Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    No. They’re paying for three months regardless and have said that it’s ok to continue to work or do other work.

The only stipulation is that your business has been adversely affected. So even if you’’ have only lost one customer or one job, you’ are still eligible to claim.

You will have to declare the grant as business profit and pay tax and insurance on it though so the government will claw back 30-50% of the grant (assuming you earn over your tax free allowance) in your 20/21 tax return.

And...........sorted

Thank you for clearing that up.

Master
    I’m very pleased to hear they’ve made this as hassle-free as possible. Makes a change!