closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Craftsman

Am I being unreasonable?

I purchased some earphones from a shop which come with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty but a month later it started to show signs that it was faulty. I let the retailer know about it and they told me to deal with the manufacturer directly and keep them updated. At that point I guess I was already slightly annoyed but this is what I did and I have yet to hear back (only emailed 2 days ago), so I let the retailer know that I have yet to hear back from the manufacturer and explained that the problem was intermittent (a fact that I was unaware of before) as an update. Normally I would have preferred to send it back to the retailer and let them deal with the manufacturer directly but they said that I have to do it and will support me. When I asked them to deal with the manufacturer they insisted I needed to do it, and although they didn't say it explicitly it was heavily implied that I was being unreasonable.

So, do you think I'm being unreasonable in the matter? All the retailers that I've bought things from in the past have all dealt with any of my issues directly and have never insisted me to deal with the manufacturer directly, especially if the problem occurred after only one month of ownership, but I guess I may have been lucky in that respect.

Master
    I would normally expect to go back to the retailer
    What is the retailer, and who is the manufacturer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki324 View Post
    I purchased some earphones from a shop which come with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty but a month later it started to show signs that it was faulty. I let the retailer know about it and they told me to deal with the manufacturer directly and keep them updated. At that point I guess I was already slightly annoyed but this is what I did and I have yet to hear back (only emailed 2 days ago), so I let the retailer know that I have yet to hear back from the manufacturer and explained that the problem was intermittent (a fact that I was unaware of before) as an update. Normally I would have preferred to send it back to the retailer and let them deal with the manufacturer directly but they said that I have to do it and will support me. When I asked them to deal with the manufacturer they insisted I needed to do it, and although they didn't say it explicitly it was heavily implied that I was being unreasonable.

So, do you think I'm being unreasonable in the matter? All the retailers that I've bought things from in the past have all dealt with any of my issues directly and have never insisted me to deal with the manufacturer directly, especially if the problem occurred after only one month of ownership, but I guess I may have been lucky in that respect.
    You purchased them from the retailer. Not the manufacturer.

http://tradingstandardsblog.co.uk/wh...r-manufacturer
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

No the retailer is responsible for sorting it, your contract is with them, however is often quicker and easier to sort things like this directly with the manufacturer

Your statutory rights say the retailer has to provide the support, you don’t need to deal with the manufacturer

Your relationship is with the company that you paid, not some third party that you don't know, the seller is trying it on.

As I understand it, if you allow the manufacturer to touch the items your contract with the retailer will be void. The retailer should sort it out for you as your contract is legally with them and they have a duty to provide items which are fit for purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I would normally expect to go back to the retailer
    What is the retailer, and who is the manufacturer?
    The retailer is Hifonix so I'm surprised by that as they have good reviews on Trustpilot but when I look at the 1 star reviews I see that some people have had similar problems to me in the past. The manufacturer is iriver so I am still dealing with them at the moment since the retailer said I have to send it to the manufacturer myself.

Your issue is definitely with the seller and not the manufacturer. They obviously don't know the law. If they won't play ball go to trading standards.

Thumbs up

A lot of 5 star 'Trustpilot' reviews are total bollox and are posted by people associated with the subject of the reviews.

The retailer is Hifonix so I'm surprised by that as they have good reviews on Trustpilot but when I look at the 1 star reviews I see that some people have had similar problems to me in the past. The manufacturer is iriver so I am still dealing with them at the moment since the retailer said I have to send it to the manufacturer myself.

As they've told you to go direct to manufacture, your contract with them is not void. As you're dealing with the manufacturer already, you may as well keep on that track as the retailer will probably just send it on to them anyway.

Craftsman
    Thanks all. I'm glad you all agree with me on this and that the retailer is responsible for sorting the problem. Too bad they are refusing to deal with it though.

Thanks all. I'm glad you all agree with me on this and that the retailer is responsible for sorting the problem. Too bad they are refusing to deal with it though.
    Trading standards
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    just tell them if they dont you will go straight to trading standards.

Purchased earphones. Earphones are faulty. Take or send earphones back for refund or replacement.

Master
    Are Hifonix UK based?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Trading standards
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    just tell them if they dont you will go straight to trading standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Purchased earphones. Earphones are faulty. Take or send earphones back for refund or replacement.
    I just spoke with them and notwithstanding their rather rude response, they insisted if I want to send it back then they will refund me but at the same time insinuating that I am "trying it on" with them trying to "scam" my way to a refund outside of the returns period. This is unbelievable, never once have I said I wanted a refund, a replacement would've satisfied me and the problem would have been over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Are Hifonix UK based?
    Yes, they are based in Birmingham I believe.

Master
    When did the issues occur, a month after purchase, or a month after the 2 year warranty ran out?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    When did the issues occur, a month after purchase, or a month after the 2 year warranty ran out?
    A month after purchase. I am still well within the warranty period.

I had the same issue recently with John Lewis, the last company I would have expected it from. No interest whatsoever in helping me, it was all me and the manufacturer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I had the same issue recently with John Lewis, the last company I would have expected it from. No interest whatsoever in helping me, it was all me and the manufacturer.
    Sorry to hear about that. I am quite shocked by that response as well, from John Lewis, they normally provide excellent service. Just goes to show that even big companies can have problems like these.

I just spoke with them and notwithstanding their rather rude response, they insisted if I want to send it back then they will refund me but at the same time insinuating that I am "trying it on" with them trying to "scam" my way to a refund outside of the returns period. This is unbelievable, never once have I said I wanted a refund, a replacement would've satisfied me and the problem would have been over.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, they are based in Birmingham I believe.
    Did you specifically tell them that you wanted a replacement as I can’t see why they would not prefer that option?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Did you specifically tell them that you wanted a replacement as I can’t see why they would not prefer that option?

I did not but that was because I was so annoyed by that point that I wasn't thinking straight. They just claim that they will support me, I just have to send it back to the manufacturer to deal with this problem.
    Well, I don't expect the manufacturer to deny me a replacement so the support isn't really useful, unless they really are terrible. I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with this so the support they could have provided was to take it back and send it to the manufacturer themselves, which was my preferred option and they denied. The fact that they denied this made me think a replacement wasn't possible either from them.

Master
    I’ve often found it faster and more convenient to deal directly with a manufacturer. Often it’s part of their contract with the retailer too, that’s they’ll handle problems directly.

Most have proper procedures in place for dealing with issues. It doesn’t alter your contract with the retailer, but in my experience the path of least resistance is often the correct path

How did you pay? Credit card will POSs give you some protection?

Contract is with the retailer

Just don’t leave the premises until it’s resolved

A question. The supplier is certainly the first port of call in the first year, but if the manufacturer offers an extended warranty, in this case , the second year, who is responsible for honouring that portion ? Thanks for any clarification.

John Lewis managed to lose my wife's camera when we sent it back to them for repair - I never really understand why people think they're something out of the ordinary in terms of service.

Mistakes happen, for sure, but we weren't terribly happy with their response (to be honest I forget what it was exactly now, but it took more calls and emails than it should to finally get a refund - They said they couldn't replace the camera with the same model, which is what we wanted).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    A question. The supplier is certainly the first port of call in the first year, but if the manufacturer offers an extended warranty, in this case , the second year, who is responsible for honouring that portion ? Thanks for any clarification.
    Your question seems to imply that the retailer warranty is one year.

This is not the case, on any goods (notwithstanding goods with a 12 month or less life expectancy)

To answer your question: the retailer will be responsible for the warranty as required under the law. But the conditions of the extra year warranty offered by the manufacturer may require you to deal with them directly — which you should if it seems easier, and it often is (see my previous point above)

I’m at a loss why some people go out of their way to make things more difficult for themselves. If I have an issue with something, I’ll let whoever wants to sort it out to do so. It doesn’t alter my contract with the retailer should other avenues fail.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    John Lewis managed to lose my wife's camera when we sent it back to them for repair - I never really understand why people think they're something out of the ordinary in terms of service.

Mistakes happen, for sure, but we weren't terribly happy with their response (to be honest I forget what it was exactly now, but it took more calls and emails than it should to finally get a refund - They said they couldn't replace the camera with the same model, which is what we wanted).

M
    John Lewis customer service 10 years ago? Superb!
    John Lewis customer service now? Absolutely crap!

Master
    This is probably as good a summary as you’ll get:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sh...unds-exchange/

Craftsman
    I also had the same issue with John Lewis.

Having purchased a Fitbit Charge 3 in a JL store, I had an issue with the rubber strap that seemed to have sheared or snapped in half and considering I had only owned it for just over a year I thought I would be entitled to a replacement strap.

I still had the original receipt that was within the 2 year warranty period and I contacted JL customer service explaining this issue and asked when the stores reopen following Covid-19 that I get a replacement strap. This seemed reasonable to me.

This was their response:-

Thank you for taking the time to contact John Lewis Technical Support surrounding your purchase for the Fitbit Charge 3. I am disappointed to hear that the strap has come away from the watch face. Please be assured that I am eager to assist.

Firstly, I would like to offer my apology for the inconvenience caused by the wrist strap breaking. I can appreciate that you were not expecting this to happen and I trust that you are able to add closure to this matter shortly.

Having reviewed your case in its entirety, I confirm that in order to obtain a replacement strap, we would advise that you contact Fitbit directly on 0800 069 8505. Once in contact with them, they will be able to organise for the strap to be sent to you free of charge.

We thank you for your patience and should you require any further assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us

Currently I have not progressed this further because I haven’t had time to chase up Fitbit but feel like I should go back to JL and make it their problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    How did you pay? Credit card will POSs give you some protection?

Contract is with the retailer

Just don’t leave the premises until it’s resolved
    I paid by debit card so no chance that I could get any further help from the bank, but to be honest I don't care about a refund I just want a working product. I also have to send it over to Germany as that's where the service centre is located, with no mention that the manufacturer will cover the postage cost. I haven't sent to Germany before but I'm guessing that will be about £15-20 RMSD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    A lot of 5 star 'Trustpilot' reviews are total bollox and are posted by people associated with the subject of the reviews.
    have to agree with this and they take down some legitimate negative reviews,a lesson learned through personal experience..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 6th May 2020 at 08:13.

I've had the same issue with curry's on several occasions, usually after the first 30 days they push you onto the manufacturer.

What others have said here is correct that the retailer should be sorting it it, but from my experience unless your looking to through money at it in legal costs your not going to get far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    John Lewis customer service 10 years ago? Superb!
    John Lewis customer service now? Absolutely crap!
    My mrs sent my stepson 2 Easter eggs they arrived broken from John Lewis and had a right load of agro sorting it out.
    My stepson used to work for Waitrose part of JL it was a nice place to work and he was well treated unlike the likes of Tesco or Asda if he worked for them he would have been down the road after a few weeks.
    I will stand up for J L i have bought from them and like their shop’s unfortunately they and Waitrose are having problems they cannot offer top notch customer service have nice shops and compete with cheap bargain basement internet sellers if you have problems with a purchase you can’t beat having a bricks and motor shop to go back to.

It seems all jo public wants is cheap shit holes like amazon and and Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    My mrs sent my stepson 2 Easter eggs they arrived broken from John Lewis and had a right load of agro sorting it out.
    My stepson used to work for Waitrose part of JL it was a nice place to work and he was well treated unlike the likes of Tesco or Asda if he worked for them he would have been down the road after a few weeks.
    I will stand up for J L i have bought from them and like their shop’s unfortunately they and Waitrose are having problems they cannot offer top notch customer service have nice shops and compete with cheap bargain basement internet sellers if you have problems with a purchase you can’t beat having a bricks and motor shop to go back to.

I know lots of people who work for Tesco, non of them have ever complained about being mistreated

Mixed message there about JL.

Mrs K works for Tesco and is treated very well BTW.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I know lots of people who work for Tesco, non of them have ever complained about being mistreated
    I know people who worked for Tesco and wouldn’t again I suppose it depends what your definition of being well treated is, when my stepson was at Waitrose he had mental problems And they were very understanding he said his hourly rate was more than other supermarkets he got a very nice yearly bonus when they were doing well the JL pension was very good and after 25 years service you got 6 months paid leave, I got a £120 gift voucher.

Anyway my point wasn’t how good Tesco’s are it was that it is nice to have places like JL and Waitrose to shop at and if they go under shopping will be a lot more boring but that’s just my view

My personal experience is that Amazon have consistently provided far better customer service than almost any brick and mortar businesses that I have dealt with - including the John Lewis Group.

These days I only buy from a bricks and mortar shop when I have absolutely no other option. Why would I want to drag myself (during limited opening hours - most of them during working hours) to a dirty, noisy, crowded place where I have to pay stupid amounts to park my car, in order to get a reduced range of products at top prices? I then have to lug them back to my car - and when I get home if I find that I don't like the product, I have no right of return.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    My personal experience is that Amazon have consistently provided far better customer service than almost any brick and mortar businesses that I have dealt with - including the John Lewis Group.

These days I only buy from a bricks and mortar shop when I have absolutely no other option. Why would I want to drag myself (during limited opening hours - most of them during working hours) to a dirty, noisy, crowded place where I have to pay stupid amounts to park my car, in order to get a reduced range of products at top prices? I then have to lug them back to my car - and when I get home if I find that I don't like the product, I have no right of return.

Completely agree. The last couple of times I have bought from JL has been a terrible product with awful customer service, I avoid them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post

Having purchased a Fitbit Charge 3 in a JL store, I had an issue with the rubber strap that seemed to have sheared or snapped in half and considering I had only owned it for just over a year I thought I would be entitled to a replacement strap.

I still had the original receipt that was within the 2 year warranty period and I contacted JL customer service explaining this issue and asked when the stores reopen following Covid-19 that I get a replacement strap. This seemed reasonable to me.

Thank you for taking the time to contact John Lewis Technical Support surrounding your purchase for the Fitbit Charge 3. I am disappointed to hear that the strap has come away from the watch face. Please be assured that I am eager to assist.

Firstly, I would like to offer my apology for the inconvenience caused by the wrist strap breaking. I can appreciate that you were not expecting this to happen and I trust that you are able to add closure to this matter shortly.

Having reviewed your case in its entirety, I confirm that in order to obtain a replacement strap, we would advise that you contact Fitbit directly on 0800 069 8505. Once in contact with them, they will be able to organise for the strap to be sent to you free of charge.

We thank you for your patience and should you require any further assistance in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us

Currently I have not progressed this further because I haven’t had time to chase up Fitbit but feel like I should go back to JL and make it their problem.
    It seems like you are being quite unreasonable here and making a mountain out a molehill.

Master

Why, exactly? Assuming Fitbit do send you a strap free of charge, it seems to me they've provided you with entirely adequate customer support.

Master

I had a problem with my Fitbit after about 6 months (confidently bought from JL). Fitbit very easy to deal with, and sent out a replacement very quickly. You will likely need to send a photo to them of the problem, and they will send you a replacement

Surprised about the negative experiences with JL. I go to Peter Jones regularly and have never had an issue with their customer service. It’s one place I shop that I know I’ll be OK if I need to return an item.

Master
    Well my LG OLED bought from JL just over a year ago has packed up. It took me nearly 40 minutes to get through to them on the phone (understandably given the current circumstances) and the result was I have to wait until next Thursday for someone to collect the tv and then wait god knows how long for it to be fixed and returned.
    I really don’t know if this would be considered good customer service or not. They didn’t try to bump me on to LG directly.

Make sure you go through JL for your LG TV repair as LG themselves are a bunch of clowns running a load of clowns.

The remote in my LG OLED from new used to go through batteries, had to replace then every 10 days. After around 6 replacements I contacted Richer Sounds who told me to go to LG direct. Anyway it was a good 6-8 weeks before I got something back and in amongst that time, they sent the remote to the wrong place, had tested it and found nothing wrong with, had not tested it, then lost it, then stated that they’d send me out a replacement out of the goodness of their hearts even though there was nothing wrong with my remote which they had/hadn’t tested and then lost. Then forgot to ship out a replacement, then shipped one out but it never shipped.

As I said their CS is run by a bunch of people who clearly aren’t happy with their jobs, bunch of clowns and was just glad to get a remote back in the end.