closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown easing?

As a rider and a driver you must be used to being told that you’re going too fast or too slow, and you know it doesn’t matter and you must use your own judgment as the buck stops with you.
    But Cygnus told them there was black ice; it even highlighted the turns where it was treacherous.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    The ROI plan seems fairly sensible to me, and critically, people have a fairly good idea about where they stand.

Nobody likes uncertainty, and to my mind not announcing the plan until Sunday in the vain hope it keeps everyone in doors on a warm bank holiday weekend is just plain patronising. People are able to take bad news, just give us it on the chin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    As a rider and a driver you must be used to being told that you’re going too fast or too slow, and you know it doesn’t matter and you must use your own judgment as the buck stops with you.
    But Cygnus told them there was black ice; it even highlighted the turns where it was treacherous.
    Maybe so, and perhaps without the distraction of trying to carry out the will of the people, against the will of a few hundred MPs trying to prevent it, who knows what might have been, and where attention might have been focused.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Of course, but rather galling to be criticised by those who cannot drive, never predicted the ice, and were telling you that you needed to get there as quickly as possible. 😂
    Except if you saw all the other cars crashing on the ice and instead of ordering some snow tyres simpky drove straight onto the ice then you might expect some of the surviving passengers to ask why the previous crashed cars weren't a warning.

This surely cannot be true

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52594023

If so why the hell not do it 2 months ago like the rest of the world? Doing it now when the rest of the world is coming out of lockdown will crash the economy, won't prevent infections and basically bans the working man from having a holiday. I see only Ireland is exempt. Looks like everyone will be be flying back from Thailand via Dublin then.....

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Just realised haven’t seen anyone riding a horse since this started, used to see one once or twice a week before, hope
    it doesn’t have anything to do with the initial panic buying and hoarding of food.
    I’ve seen horses being ridden every day since this started, the lack of vehicles on the roads has been a godsend for them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Except if you saw all the other cars crashing on the ice and instead of ordering some snow tyres simpky drove straight onto the ice then you might expect some of the surviving passengers to ask why the previous crashed cars weren't a warning.
    Apparently none of the others crashed.

Apparently none of the others crashed.
    That is disingenuous. I haven’t seen any comments suggesting Italy, for example, did not crash. Quite the opposite, really.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

If so why the hell not do it 2 months ago like the rest of the world? Doing it now when the rest of the world is coming out of lockdown will crash the economy, won't prevent infections and basically bans the working man from having a holiday. I see only Ireland is exempt. Looks like everyone will be be flying back from Thailand via Dublin then.....
    I like your phrasing, 'bans the working man from having a holiday'...how many folks at the present time would really want to risk getting on a plane for a week or fortnights jolly anyway, never mind that they can't afford it now...better late than never but should have taken place in March.

Maybe so, and perhaps without the distraction of trying to carry out the will of the people, against the will of a few hundred MPs trying to prevent it, who knows what might have been, and where attention might have been focused.
    And thing's are going swimmingly aren't they?
    Anyhow this is the G&D, so how about leaving political comments out.
    Last edited by number2; 9th May 2020 at 08:10.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Each to their own, I was out walking with my children I would rather not hear someone fing and blinding about sunbathers nor would my children.

I guess who are we to want to take our daily exercise in peace?
    I don’t like swearing in public either but it’s difficult to avoid these days wherever you go and also on TV, and would be more worried about people flouting rules intended to stop the spread of a deadly virus.

Master
    Well the mind boggles. The local minor league football squad are all out training this morning all close together. Oh well what should I expect there All invincible.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    And thing's are going swimmingly aren't they?
    Anyhow this is the G&D, so how about leaving political comments out.

How about you tell a few others, and yourself.

As usual political comments are allowed if they agree with your views.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 9th May 2020 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Well the mind boggles. The local minor league football squad are all out training this morning all close together. Oh well what should I expect there All invincible.

Another situation requiring ‘dob them in’. It’s no good complaining about it and doing nothing, if you saw someone breaking into a house would you do nothing?

And yes I have done this and the police acted on it.

Another classic BBC piece of poor reporting, headline ‘14 day quarantine for air passengers’ whole thing is about air travel and then the last line:

BBC News understands that key workers such as lorry drivers who transport goods and people working in the shipping industry would be exempt’

So if you are a lorry driver and fly into the U.K. it doesn’t apply, although maybe you have to take you’re lorry
    as hand baggage.

Chuckle, unfortunately the wrong venue to unpick that one OOK but suffice to say I like how you've elevated the 'B' word in your mind to a universal 'Get out of jail free card' to excuse and absolve any administrative neglect and incompetence, bravo mate, you're a true believer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post

Another situation requiring ‘dob them in’. It’s no good complaining about it and doing nothing, if you saw someone breaking into a house would you do nothing?

And yes I have done this and the police acted on it.
    I agree that you should report incidents like this. I reported one and the police were quick to act, with a group using a skateboard ramp in the park.
    The more these incidents happen the more it encourages, and makes a mockery of everyone else obeying the rules.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Chuckle, unfortunately the wrong venue to unpick that one OOK but suffice to say I like how you've elevated the 'B' word in your mind to a universal 'Get out of jail free card' to excuse and absolve any administrative neglect and incompetence, bravo mate, you're a true believer.
    Take it how you wish but it wasted 4 years for nothing.

I agree that you should report incidents like this. I reported one and the police were quick to act, with a group using a skateboard ramp in the park.
    The more these incidents happen the more it encourages, and makes a mockery of everyone else obeying the rules.
    I just read the original post again and wondered if it was actually a bit of a dig at a certain team from north London.

Master
    I just read the original post again and wondered if it was actually a bit of a dig at a certain team from north London.
    Do you think?!

Hopefully in your haste you didn’t call the police yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Do you think?!

Hopefully in your haste you didn’t call the police yet...
    No but told Spurs.

G&D - no politics or religion.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I like your phrasing, 'bans the working man from having a holiday'...how many folks at the present time would really want to risk getting on a plane for a week or fortnights jolly anyway, never mind that they can't afford it now...better late than never but should have taken place in March.
    As soon as airports are open properly again I'm off to Thailand for a holiday. I think most people would be fine to get on a plane with precautions such as face masks etc. I'm not hearing anecdotal stories of cabin crew coming down with Covid en masse so I suspect the HEPA filtration on board is working

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    G&D - no politics or religion.

R
    Sorry.

Take it how you wish but it wasted 4 years for nothing.
    Try to leave your agenda at the door please.
    Last edited by number2; 9th May 2020 at 09:54.

As soon as airports are open properly again I'm off to Thailand for a holiday. I think most people would be fine to get on a plane with precautions such as face masks etc. I'm not hearing anecdotal stories of cabin crew coming down with Covid en masse so I suspect the HEPA filtration on board is working
    That’s because there are hardly any flights and hardly any passengers on those (unless it’s Aer Lingus)

"Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion"

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

HEPA is not a defence against Covid.

As for your travel plans. Good for you. You have clearly considered all the risks for you, your family and all your other passengers (who I suppose have also come to the same conclusion as you regarding the risks).

My only concern will be the 14 days self isolation on your return. Assuming of course this will still be in place. And you have got adequate health insurance Justin case.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Try to leave your agenda at the door please.
    Ironic given your posts.

Ironic given your posts.
    Lovely weather outside, no point in arguing - have a good weekend.

Blog Entries
    On the BBC news talk of people being allowed out for as long they like for ‘exercise’.
    Parks will be full if the suns out so lockdown will be pointless.

Master
    Me too mate, straight to Mexico with the family for 2 weeks

Until there's a proven tested vaccine, that the whole family has had administered we're going nowhere.

Enjoy your trips.

If people do go abroad they shouldn’t expect our Government to repatriate them if things kick off again in those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If people do go abroad they shouldn’t expect our Government to repatriate them if things kick off again in those countries.
    !00% agree.

I suspect once lock down is lifted HR will kill most business travel anyway.

Once a risk assessment has been carried out why would they allow a supplier or customer to potentially affect the whole office when work can be carried out by conference call ?

I can see the rationale of going with the family to a villa so feel reasonably safe once get there although I would expect some reassurance be expected upon your return before friends happy to see you so maybe the 2 weeks WFH afterwards won't be so onerous ?

Also I suspect large corporates will ban travel just as they did in the US way before any restrictions from govt were being mooted.

Until there's a proven tested vaccine, that the whole family has had administered we're going nowhere.

Enjoy your trips.
    Damn straight. I love my holidays abroad but I won’t be going until we know this is definitely over.

On the BBC news talk of people being allowed out for as long they like for ‘exercise’.
    Unless every one is 2mtr apart

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Damn straight. I love my holidays abroad but I won’t be going until we know this is definitely over.
    For the last few years ( five actually) I've been focused on the business, at the end of 2019 knowing that I needed a break, March / April I'd planned on a cheap 10 days somewhere hot, lay on a beach, swim, dive, snorkel and drink beer, (not all at the same time), just me recharging my batteries so to speak, so yes I'm definitely ready - but, until there's progress with Cov-19, until there's some certainty the family plays by the safest options - zero risks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Unless every one is 2mtr apart

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Like that will happen. People are already ignoring the rules, any relaxation will open the floodgates for them to ignore any rules.

People seem to have different attitudes to distancing. When I return from taking the dog out once a day, I have to walk about a hundred yards along the road at the side of the village playing field to the poo bin. Yesterday there was a group of 4 people just inside the playing field entrance. As I approached, one of them, a man probably in his 60s came out of the entrance and started to walk towards me on the narrow path. I crossed over to allow him to pass with plenty of room and save him having to do the same. At which point he pointed at me and shouted to his friends "see...., I must have the lurgy!".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I can see the rationale of going with the family to a villa so feel reasonably safe once get there although I would expect some reassurance be expected upon your return before friends happy to see you so maybe the 2 weeks WFH afterwards won't be so onerous ?
    Can't see the point of going somewhere to simply stay in a villa with the family. Might as well be at home with them. Unless you intend going to restaurants, beaches, bars, entertainment, public places etc. In which case it's not 'reasonably safe'.
    We've cancelled all our holidays this year and probably won't be going anywhere next year, unless we can guarantee it's safe. Lost a fair amount of money but it was spent anyway so it doesn't matter. I'd rather try to stay alive than risk it.

What does the change in Wales mean you can go out to exercise more than once a day starting and finishing at home? Can you go out 20 times or go out for 8 hours i.e basically be out all day.

I hope if there are changes to this in England it’s a bit more specific i.e. something like twice for maximum of 1 hour each, seems people need to be told something more specific or they will just do what they want.

Well it’s been working here very well. We are a couple of weeks into unrestricted exercise, and non-essential travel, but locked borders (anyone entering has been required to self isolate for 14 days since March - but currently in a selected hotel with full security that you have to pay for but in a couple of weeks you’ll be allowed to self isolate at home if you return. We do have a currently restricted 40mph speed limit to reduce the risk of RTA’s.

Virtually everyone is sticking to the rules, and we have had a reduction in cases per day with some days zero new cases reported.

Walking or sitting in a park or other open air space is not going to increase your risk considerably. If you’re worried, stay the F away from any supermarket would be my number one safety measure, and yet everyone seems to think that fine, but seeing someone take 10 mins to lie in the sun in the UK is an excuse to call the police and ask them to sort out the offender!

So we can be out all day if you like. Social distancing is enforced, but likely you will be able to visit a friend’s garden from next week, under the 2 meter rules, and only a max of 2 people from the visiting household.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 9th May 2020 at 12:01.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I’ve picked up a variety of cold bugs having flown back from various places in stuffy cabins where the air is recirculated. The chances of me flying whilst this bug is about are close to zero as I’m not a turkey voting for xmas. Airlines use recycled air to save fuel and will continue to do so. Social distancing on planes is a waste of time other than to give the illusion of some safety.
    Those happy to hop on a plane as soon as feasible are welcome and the best of luck.

Master
    Like that will happen. People are already ignoring the rules, any relaxation will open the floodgates for them to ignore any rules.

People seem to have different attitudes to distancing. When I return from taking the dog out once a day, I have to walk about a hundred yards along the road at the side of the village playing field to the poo bin. Yesterday there was a group of 4 people just inside the playing field entrance. As I approached, one of them, a man probably in his 60s came out of the entrance and started to walk towards me on the narrow path. I crossed over to allow him to pass with plenty of room and save him having to do the same. At which point he pointed at me and shouted to his friends "see...., I must have the lurgy!".
    Unless I’m misunderstanding you, why do you make a special journey to the poo bin? Stick it in your own bin at home, then you don’t have to run the risk of bumping into people at the playing field entrance.
    Last edited by Tooks; 9th May 2020 at 12:23.

Another cracking BBC effort letting anyone say what they like:

The shadow foreign secretary has sharply criticised the government's advice for those returning to the UK.
    Talking about the 14-day quarantine for people flying into the UK, Lisa Nandy called for clarity.
    "The big problem is actually getting that advice to people in the first place and it's been far too slow and far too confusing for most people," she told BBC Breakfast.
    "For weeks we've had mixed messages being briefed out of government."
    She said her office was in touch with about 3,000 British nationals who are still stranded abroad.
    And those who have returned to the UK have not been given guidance on what they should be doing when they get home, she said.

Has she not heard of the Internet, if you look on Gov.uk it’s all there in black and white in plain English.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone willing to get on a plane for holiday; how will you get travel insurance?

Will anyone give insurance against the costs of a severe COVID 19 attack whilst on holiday?

Is there a lockdown in uk? People visiting parks, beaches in masses .All fam members including kids visiting asda, morrisons etc .
    My local park has always been flooded with teenagers hanging about as if nothing is wrong.
    Certain areas no social distancing at all and no checks from police . Bbq parties and even indoor parties are being held .
    It feels more like paid holiday instead of lockdown

What happens when you come back and are required to self isolate. How will your employer or kids school or wife's employer react to that?