closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 1516

Thread: Lockdown easing?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    This is the bit I can't quite grasp.

Surely it's only going to make a minor difference as the infection rate will still spike, just at a slightly slower pace.
    If it's down to drawing circles on classroom plans then it will never work and is not manageable.

Schools should stay closed until we are past the hand wringing.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Lockdown is definitely easing in London given the amount of traffic at the moment!

Also, is it just me or have people forgotten how to drive now that they haven't been practicing much for a while?

The general standard of driving is pretty poor and here, I have always maintained that a portion of drivers must have obtained their licence as a prize in a cereal packet as no test could have been passed given their driving.

Just on the short walk home today, one BMW decided to undertake someone at speed using the bus lane in a 20mph zone and van nearly sideswiped a moped (which had right of way) as the van exited a junction. That was in less than a mile without looking out for such actions!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52677194

According to this the R number has gone up, and thats before the recent changes from stay at home to stay alert, so doesnt look promising ☹️
    True - but interestingly London is way down @ 0.4 with only 24 new cases per day...At which rate it could be done and dusted in a month. Thats the trouble with statistics- you pays yer money....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    If it's down to drawing circles on classroom plans then it will never work and is not manageable.

Schools should stay closed until we are past the hand wringing.
    Have to say that's my thinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Also, is it just me or have people forgotten how to drive now that they haven't been practicing much for a while?

The general standard of driving is pretty poor and here, I have always maintained that a portion of drivers must have obtained their licence as a prize in a cereal packet as no test could have been passed given their driving.

Just on the short walk home today, one BMW decided to undertake someone at speed using the bus lane in a 20mph zone and van nearly sideswiped a moped (which had right of way) as the van exited a junction. That was in less than a mile without looking out for such actions!
    Think theres a lot of truth in this. Son went to work first time for a while yesterday, think had rush of blood to his head and foolishly decided to overtake a police car at ~45 in a 40 limit then round a roundabout twice and so on.
    Was told hes a terrible driver but got away with it.

I think school staff have to be somewhat careful not to give the impression that while the rest of the country is industriously working out how to safely open and stay open, they're doing the opposite.

Blog Entries
    Most of our work is done now via video media app, why can't schools just do the same? Why do we need to put children in a classroom and increase all the risks associated? Why can't we just have lessons conducted via zoom or other?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Most of our work is done now via video media app, why can't schools just do the same? Why do we need to put children in a classroom and increase all the risks associated? Why can't we just have lessons conducted via zoom or other?
    For older kids, there is some merit in this, but for the younger groups potentially returning in June (5&6 year old) this wouldnt work as so much of their learning is in groups, with play forming a large part. For these younger year groups so much more of the learning is hands on and together.

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I think school staff have to be somewhat careful not to give the impression that while the rest of the country is industriously working out how to safely open and stay open, they're doing the opposite.
    A bit harsh as I am certain every school team right now, up and down the country, is working incredibly hard to make this work. But at the end of the day, kids are kids, so theres an added dimension of challenge there in ensuring safety.

Foggy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    For older kids, there is some merit in this, but for the younger groups potentially returning in June (5&6 year old) this wouldnt work as so much of their learning is in groups, with play forming a large part. For these younger year groups so much more of the learning is hands on and together.

Foggy
    Dont know, my 5 years old has been participating in many zoom style lessons during lockdown and has got on quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Dont know, my 5 years old has been participating in many zoom style lessons during lockdown and has got on quite well.
    That’s good to hear. However, we all know that one of the significant drivers for getting kids back in to school now is to enable parents and carers who can’t work from home to get back to work and kickstart the economy. So those kids can’t be left home alone to do Zoom lessons.

Foggy

I believe children need to learn social skills by interacting with their peers and that Teams and the like cannot replace this.
    But it seems too early because the track, trace and isolate is not in place yet
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I believe children need to learn social skills by interacting with their peers and that Teams and the like cannot replace this.
    100% agree. If virtual lessons were viable long term, there’d be millions to be saved. But that time, in school, with their peers is invaluable.

I’m not a teacher, but do work within education, and I’ve seen first hand how the going to school experience does have a dramatically positive effect on the development of young people. Some of the changes in pupils, particularly in primary settings, is quite frankly remarkable and a real credit to the teachers who nurture and enable these changes.

Foggy

Blog Entries
    The doctors' union seems to agree with the teachers' union that it's too early to reopen schools. ( Sorry can't post link but in mainstream media BBC/Sky etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    The doctors' union seems to agree with the teachers' union that it's too early to reopen schools. ( Sorry can't post link but in mainstream media BBC/Sky etc.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52669441

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    What I dont understand about all this is were the teachers and doctors unions not consulted prior to the PM giving his statement regarding the easing of lockdown and the next steps? Would it not be easier for everyone to be working from the same page instead of releasing a statement and just saying "Well use your common sense and get on with it"?

I hope this sunny weekend sees the freedom enjoyed but with lashings of common sense self applied

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    What I dont understand about all this is were the teachers and doctors unions not consulted prior to the PM giving his statement regarding the easing of lockdown and the next steps? Would it not be easier for everyone to be working from the same page instead of releasing a statement and just saying "Well use your common sense and get on with it"?
    No they weren’t, the Unions don’t decide what happens the Government does and if they had it would have been all over the press in advance of any announcement which would have been an utter mess.
    Are teachers happy that their union decides what they should do in this situation or would they rather try and work within the guidelines the best they can in regards to their own particular school? This is a serious question by the way.

Also as a parent would you be happy that unions try and take legal action that stops you being able to send your children back to school which was I believe threatened yesterday. It’s your decision if you send your
    children back you aren’t going to be fined or prosecuted if you don’t.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 16th May 2020 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I hope this sunny weekend sees the freedom enjoyed but with lashings of common sense self applied
    Not sunny here at the moment, I hope that people have now had enough time for the social distancing to sink in, with most people.

Not taking the micky but can you travel from England to Scotland? Just seen report saying basically anyone trying to go from England to Wales will be turned away and if they don’t comply will be arrested.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 16th May 2020 at 08:12.

I had to take Liz to the Toyota garage to hand her car back and buy a new one.
    Passing Costa Coffee, I couldn't believe the queues just for a coffee! Cars sat there with the family inside engines churning away all for a brew! Unbelievable 😬.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Not sunny here at the moment, I hope that people have now had enough time for the social distancing to sink in, with most people.

Not taking the micky but can you travel from England to Scotland? Just seen report saying basically anyone trying to go from England to Wales will be turned away and if they don’t comply will be arrested.
    If non-essential no you cant.

Master
    No they werent, the Unions dont decide what happens the Government does and if they had it would have been all over the press in advance of any announcement which would have been an utter mess.
    Are teachers happy that their union decides what they should do in this situation or would they rather try and work within the guidelines the best they can in regards to their own particular school? This is a serious question by the way.

Also as a parent would you be happy that unions try and take legal action that stops you being able to send your children back to school which was I believe threatened yesterday. Its your decision if you send your
    children back you arent going to be fined or prosecuted if you dont.

After consulting the staff and then the parents to get an idea of numbers and thinking about the children we look after, we have been trying to work a plan to reopen within the guidelines that have been set at the moment & by adding some of own. I don't think as has been suggested that we are being cavalier or setting a bad example by doing this.

We have been reopen for between 15-20 pupils throughout this so we have had some limited experience of what it will be like in terms of enhanced hygiene & staggered/distanced drop offs & pick ups.

Although you can minimise risk there are still risks associated with coming back, we are looking after children who are 4/5 years old, they don't always follow risk assessments to the letter, but staff can & we can do everything we can to make the new systems work.

Although schools are full of children they are also institutions which are based around very clear rules and routines and even new rules & routines can be learnt & most children want to follow those rules, that's certainly my experience of Primary school. I'm more worried about public transport full of people & other places packed full of people not following guidelines & what that will do to the R rate TBH.

I keep going back to other countries & how they made it work there, using a similar model to the one which will be adopted here. You have to look what happened there to get an idea what could happen here, particularly to the R rate and being hit by a second wave of infection.

The major difficulty IMO will be when we start to try to increase the year groups who attend or the numbers attending start to increase over time, then the logistics become more complicated and you need to keep doing new assessments to see what to do next to keep everyone as safe as they can be. Ultimately it comes down to staffing/space/resources.

Ideally testing would be a bit quicker & antibody testing would be readily available too.

It's all subject to what happens over the next few weeks but we have made plans that reopening will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If non-essential no you cant.
    Must be a bit of a pain if you live right on the border, didnt sound like the Welsh police would consider anything essential.

No they werent, the Unions dont decide what happens the Government does and if they had it would have been all over the press in advance of any announcement which would have been an utter mess.

Also as a parent would you be happy that unions try and take legal action that stops you being able to send your children back to school which was I believe threatened yesterday. Its your decision if you send your
    Not consulting with the teaching bodies isn't a good way of going about things, IMO. It doesn't necessarily mean the Government cannot move forwards with their plans but it is better to consult - and be seen to consult - before deciding.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Yes I think you're right. Building a consensus, another key part to good leadership, get all the stakeholders on the same page as you wrote. Otherwise it just looks like central command, out of touch with reality on the ground, issuing diktats.

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    After consulting the staff and then the parents to get an idea of numbers and thinking about the children we look after, we have been trying to work a plan to reopen within the guidelines that have been set at the moment & by adding some of own. I don't think as has been suggested that we are being cavalier or setting a bad example by doing this.

We have been reopen for between 15-20 pupils throughout this so we have had some limited experience of what it will be like in terms of enhanced hygiene & staggered/distanced drop offs & pick ups.

Although you can minimise risk there are still risks associated with coming back, we are looking after children who are 4/5 years old, they don't always follow risk assessments to the letter, but staff can & we can do everything we can to make the new systems work.

Although schools are full of children they are also institutions which are based around very clear rules and routines and even new rules & routines can be learnt & most children want to follow those rules, that's certainly my experience of Primary school. I'm more worried about public transport full of people & other places packed full of people not following guidelines & what that will do to the R rate TBH.

I keep going back to other countries & how they made it work there, using a similar model to the one which will be adopted here. You have to look what happened there to get an idea what could happen here, particularly to the R rate and being hit by a second wave of infection.

The major difficulty IMO will be when we start to try to increase the year groups who attend or the numbers attending start to increase over time, then the logistics become more complicated and you need to keep doing new assessments to see what to do next to keep everyone as safe as they can be. Ultimately it comes down to staffing/space/resources.

Ideally testing would be a bit quicker & antibody testing would be readily available too.

It's all subject to what happens over the next few weeks but we have made plans that reopening will happen.
    Is the We an individual School or as in Union, most of what Ive seen posted here seems to have been individual schools have been trying to work out the best possible way to do it and open but with some difficulties which I fully understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Not consulting with the teaching bodies isn't a good way of going about things, IMO. It doesn't necessarily mean the Government cannot move forwards with their plans but it is better to consult - and be seen to consult - before deciding.

R
    Unions arent a teaching body and the consultation is going on now, just looking at differing opinions you get here if you
    open it up too much before making a decision you would never get a decision and people will go to the press if they dont agree. All the complaining about the statement last Sunday being confusing (which I dont agree with if you actually listened to it) would have been nothing compared to how confusing a debate in the media prior to an actual announcement would have been.
    Seems a lot of people really want to be told 100% in black and white what will happen and only way to do this is for the
    Government to keep a lid on things until they announce it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    There are an awful lot of people making decisions around this that they're not qualified to make, it seems.

I can see all the arguments for 'getting the economy going' and 'getting people back to work', but who is guiding the decision to reopen schools if teachers aren't being consulted?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 16th May 2020 at 09:34.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Is the We an individual School or as in Union, most of what Ive seen posted here seems to have been individual schools have been trying to work out the best possible way to do it and open but with some difficulties which I fully understand.
    The we is a group of schools in our learning community, all of the schools in our town have worked together, including the academy chains throughout lockdown & now we work together to try to reopen. You are right though, even within this group each school has it's unique circumstances, but they are mainly based around space/staffing/pupil numbers & sometimes around individual pupil needs, eg medical/behavioural

Some schools in our learning community may not be able to open

Unions arent a teaching body and the consultation is going on now...
    I think it is better to consult before than after.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    There are an awful lot of people making decisions around this that they're not qualified to make, it seems.

I can see all the arguments for 'getting the economy going' and 'getting people back to work', but who is guiding the decision to reopen schools if teachers aren't being consulted?

M
    Who provided the guidance it would be safe to send folks potentially infected with covid back into the care home system without testing them first, or the guidance for the decision to stop test, track, isolate back on March 13th...more questions than answers by the day.

The 'Veterans' in Care Homes were effectively placed on the front-line by the Govt's advice, and now they've softened up the 'invisible mugger'...what a wordsmith eh, Govt appears keen to send the 'Infantry' and Teachers back to school, to finish the job.
    Let's see the Commons and the other place back first, let them take it on the chin, chins in some cases.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th May 2020 at 11:55.

consultation is going on now
    Consultation is going no where if the interview with Mary Bousted (leader of one of the UKs many teaching unions) on C4 News is anything to go by. What a muttonheaded dope. I think even partisan Cathy Newman was getting frustrated by her blockheaded stupidity.

Earlier in the week I listened to radio interviews with Danish and French teachers. Very impressed with their thoughtfulness and motivation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You dont seem to have understood anything I wrote, thankfully others have.

Parents will not be fined or prosecuted if they dont send their children back to school in June.

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    The we is a group of schools in our learning community, all of the schools in our town have worked together, including the academy chains throughout lockdown & now we work together to try to reopen. You are right though, even within this group each school has it's unique circumstances, but they are mainly based around space/staffing/pupil numbers & sometimes around individual pupil needs, eg medical/behavioural

Some schools in our learning community may not be able to open
    Thanks

Parents will not be fined or prosecuted if they dont send their children back to school in June.
    To be fair, that’s exactly what TBKBABAB said.

Foggy

You dont seem to have understood anything I wrote, thankfully others have.

I fully understood what you posted answered the question at the beginning and gave my opinion about the second part.
    But I don’t understand why you repeated what I put at the end of my post about not being fined etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Consultation is going no where if the interview with Mary Bousted (leader of one of the UK’s many teaching unions) on C4 News is anything to go by. What a muttonheaded dope. I think even partisan Cathy Newman was getting frustrated by her blockheaded stupidity.

Earlier in the week I listened to radio interviews with Danish and French teachers. Very impressed with their thoughtfulness and motivation.

Watching an interview with a teaching Union representative on the BBC this morning, can’t remember his name, he said they had a one hour online meeting with the government’s scientific advisors yesterday and that there were a lot of people from the unions involved in the meeting.

It was Kevin Courtney, co-leader of the UK's biggest teaching union, the National Education Union (NEU)
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 16th May 2020 at 10:49.

Blog Entries
    Consultation is going no where if the interview with Mary Bousted (leader of one of the UKs many teaching unions) on C4 News is anything to go by. What a muttonheaded dope. I think even partisan Cathy Newman was getting frustrated by her blockheaded stupidity.

Saw on the BBC this morning an article about the schoolchildren in Denmark and how they are managing. Was very impressed by the positive attitude of the staff and their methods. A pleasant change from the UK Unions.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Parents may have the choice but what about teachers? While those at risk can be exempted, is that also the case for those who have vulnerable family members at home?

The unions should definitely have been consulted even if the plan had been to disregard everything they suggested by the time you came to a decision. 1) because it is better to associate people to a decision instead of telling them, 2) because it would have pleased those from the red wall who voted for them and 3) because while unions are not a teaching body, they are very much involved on the health and safety front and deliberately putting teachers in harm's way is an angle that will allow them a field day.
    Of course there is always the odd chance that they'll know what they're talking about, will have more interesting ideas than people who have either never taught or did 15 years ago at best, and will make your job easier because if they ask their members to go back to work, they will...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Lockdown easing?

Correct. Non essential is not permitted across border
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 16th May 2020 at 10:58.

Must be a bit of a pain if you live right on the border, didnt sound like the Welsh police would consider anything essential.
    Imagine its what was/is essential here in England - supermarket shopping, helping vulnerable person etc.

Watching an interview with a teaching Union representative on the BBC this morning, can’t remember his name, he said they had a one hour online meeting with the government’s scientific advisors yesterday and that there were a lot of people from the unions involved in the meeting.

It was Kevin Courtney, co-leader of the UK's biggest teaching union, the National Education Union (NEU)
    Same union as Mary Bousted. She was also on BBC Radio 4 earlier in the week, a shambles.

Perhaps shes been withdrawn from frontline media duties. Two golden opportunities to present her case to generally sympathetic journalists and audiences (which does include me) and she blew it.

Same union as Mary Bousted. She was also on BBC Radio 4 earlier in the week, a shambles.

Perhaps shes been withdrawn from frontline media duties. Two golden opportunities to present her case to generally sympathetic journalists and audiences (which does include me) and she blew it.

Kind of reinforces my thinking of why they werent consulted before the announcement if 2 representatives from the same
    Union, Mary Bousted is the other co-leader of the NEU, are apparently giving completely different briefings to the press, although I didnt see her interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Imagine its what was/is essential here in England - supermarket shopping, helping vulnerable person etc.
    Thats fair enough, although not sure if its the same in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Parents may have the choice but what about teachers? While those at risk can be exempted, is that also the case for those who have vulnerable family members at home?

The unions should definitely have been consulted even if the plan had been to disregard everything they suggested by the time you came to a decision. 1) because it is better to associate people to a decision instead of telling them, 2) because it would have pleased those from the red wall who voted for them and 3) because while unions are not a teaching body, they are very much involved on the health and safety front and deliberately putting teachers in harm's way is an angle that will allow them a field day.
    Of course there is always the odd chance that they'll know what they're talking about, will have more interesting ideas than people who have either never taught or did 15 years ago at best, and will make your job easier because if they ask their members to go back to work, they will...
    If you are living with someone in the high risk group you can ask for special paid leave or to be furloughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I had to take Liz to the Toyota garage to hand her car back and buy a new one.
    Passing Costa Coffee, I couldn't believe the queues just for a coffee! Cars sat there with the family inside engines churning away all for a brew! Unbelievable .

My sister was shopping for my parents on Friday, but turned around because of the queue going into the supermarket car park was so long.

Anywhoo, it turned out that the queue wasnt for the supermarket, but for the KFC drive in next door.

Am I alone in thinking that hopefully Corvid thins the herd and improves the gene pool.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Kind of reinforces my thinking of why they werent consulted before the announcement if 2 representatives from the same
    Union, Mary Bousted is the other co-leader of the NEU, are apparently giving completely different briefings to the press, although I didnt see her interview.
    Blimey, imagine that, two people from the same organisation giving completely different briefings!

Thank goodness the government are making the decisions...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My sister was shopping for my parents on Friday, but turned around because of the queue going into the supermarket car park was so long.

Anywhoo, it turned out that the queue wasnt for the supermarket, but for the KFC drive in next door.

Am I alone in thinking that hopefully Corvid thins the herd and improves the gene pool.
    It's been tried before.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

the sort of people you are talking about like the ones going to Skegness in their thousands are like cockroaches and will still be around long after everyone else has died of covid or a nuclear war

There was a chap with a strange moustache in the thirties who had similar ideas, the world rightly decided they'd had enough of him by 1945.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk