closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1516

Thread: Lockdown easing?

Worryingly there has been a study published by the Fed recently that linked the flu pandemic of 1918
    to the rise of a certain person.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that hopefully Corvid thins the herd and improves the gene pool.
    Hopeful as you may be the ‘herd-thinning’ of the coronavirus is the elderly - and they don’t contribute much to the gene pool.

But I’m curious to know which particular herd were you hoping for?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Going by today i think lockdown has pretty much ended in any real beneficial way, busiest i've seen it in ages, tried to do a shop for the first time at lunchtime and gave up after the third supermarket, seems to be that one person going shopping is a thing of the past, felt quite lonely as others appeared to have their entire families with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Worryingly there has been a study published by the Fed recently that linked the flu pandemic of 1918
    to the rise of a certain person.
    With a strange moustache by any chance?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    the sort of people you are talking about like the ones going to Skegness in their thousands are like cockroaches and will still be around long after everyone else has died of covid or a nuclear war
    People who like KFC and Skegness are like cockroaches?

Perhaps a little extreme? I like the occasional Bargain Bucket, but I’ve only been to Skegness once and have no plans to return.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    With a strange moustache by any chance?

Yeah that’s the one.

Yeah that’s the one.
    This the chap?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    People who like KFC and Skegness are like cockroaches?

Perhaps a little extreme? I like the occasional Bargain Bucket, but I’ve only been to Skegness once and have no plans to return.
    Well have never been to Skegness but was gutted when saw the post about a KFC drive through being open, checked and found out ours is as well but had already had dinner.
    It’s a family tradition that we get KFC and watch Eurovision, bit of a double whammy no KFC and no proper Eurovision.
    It is the one and only time we get KFC each year so maybe we will escape the cull.

This the chap?

No not the same chap, the one I was referring to had shorter hair and longer trousers, although there are some similarities.

No not the same chap, the one I was referring to had shorter hair and longer trousers, although there are some similarities.
    Same here, just making sure #onsame wavelength

Same here, just making sure #onsame wavelength

No names no pack drill

Of course

At least we are all now well versed in the arts of lockdown, as the inevitable second peak will have us all in a more severe form of it in the near future.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    At least we are all now well versed in the arts of lockdown, as the inevitable second peak will have us all in a more severe form of it in the near future.
    For once I agree with you. Over here in Spain we are watching how the UK is fighting the virus with total disbelief. You had a very soft lockdown and now you are relaxing it far too fast and you are going to pay the penalty before much longer.

Both the Government and the people are to blame for this. You go out in the evening to clap the NHS and then take the dog for a walk afterwards coming up with a load of excuses to justify it. The only way to eradicate the virus is to stay indoors and make no excuse for doing otherwise.

Over here restaurants are staying shut even though they are now allowed to open. That is what the UK needs to do or else you are walking into a second peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Over here restaurants are staying shut even though they are now allowed to open. That is what the UK needs to do or else you are walking into a second peak.
    I think even when restaurants here are given the green light to open many won't. Some will be out of business by then of course. But for many that aren't it will cost them more to be open with the greatly reduced number of covers that social distancing will require than they will make in takings.

Word Mick P.

Master
    For once I agree with you. Over here in Spain we are watching how the UK is fighting the virus with total disbelief. You had a very soft lockdown and now you are relaxing it far too fast and you are going to pay the penalty before much longer.

Both the Government and the people are to blame for this. You go out in the evening to clap the NHS and then take the dog for a walk afterwards coming up with a load of excuses to justify it. The only way to eradicate the virus is to stay indoors and make no excuse for doing otherwise.

I think that the media are making things look a lot worse over here than the reality certainly in regards to social distancing. I'd say everyone that I know and see are very very careful at keeping a good distance whether food shopping or dog walking.

Master
    Not what I see when I go for a walk. To the extent I am no longer doing so as my stress levels are far higher during a walk than not going.

I don’t think the general population can count to 2 in order to comprehend 2 metres. Am yet to go out where I haven’t had to make comment. Yesterday a family of 6 basically took over the entire 3M wide path through their genetic inbreeding & belief that they know better.

Blog Entries

How does taking the dog for a walk on your own need an excuse to justify it? To be honest most of the people I see clapping for the NHS are at more risk.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The only way to eradicate the virus is to stay indoors and make no excuse for doing otherwise.
    In the world according to Mick P, how long do you propose the world stays indoors for? Forever? You’ll never eradicate the virus. Or are you proposing we stay indoors until that not-guaranteed vaccine is discovered, which could mean we lockdown for the rest of our lives?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Yesterday a family of 6 basically took over the entire 3M wide path through their genetic inbreeding & belief that they know better.
    Frankly disgusting comment, are families not permitted to go for a walk, step aside let them pass and carry on, or should all path ways be cleared before you step out?

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Frankly disgusting comment, are families not permitted to go for a walk, step aside let them pass and carry on, or should all path ways be cleared before you step out?
    Of course they are allowed and rightly so, but I'm with mj2k on this. Even before lockdown I'd regularly see families walking abreast taking up an entire path or pavement. When another person walks towards them it should be both common courtesy and common sense to get in single file, just for a few seconds so the person can pass. But it doesn't seem to be until I just walk straight at them, and usually the father but occasionally the mother eventually pull a couple of kids in when it's clear I'm not going to slow down or walk in the road for them.

Cough as you approach them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Brilliant! I'm having that 👍

Blog Entries
    There's only one frankly disgusting comment here. It's basic respect, but then most people didn't have any of that before this all blew up so why would they now eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Obvious, simple, and effective. And I didn't think of it, doh!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How does taking the dog for a walk on your own need an excuse to justify it? To be honest most of the people I see clapping for the NHS are at more risk.
    Well just thank your lucky stars you are not out here. Dog walkers get shouted at by the Spanish residents along the lines of - " we will remember what you are doing long after this thing is over". It is seen as selfish and irresponsible. They coup themselves up in an apartment for weeks on end and a dog walker takes a nice stroll. It is regarded as legal but very anti social.

We are now allowed out for a one hour walk but very few people are doing it because it is not seen as the right thing to do. The more you stay in, the quicker the R factor goes down and that is seen as the key to getting through this thing. I have a lot more respect for the Spanish today than I used to have.

Master
    Why should they walk 6 wide with my wife and I are as far over in the nettles as we can get, short of climbing the wooden fence.

I’m guessing you are the sort of person lacking respect for others!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    There's only one frankly disgusting comment here. It's basic respect, but then most people didn't have any of that before this all blew up so why would they now eh.
    Exactly, it isn’t rocket science, but appears to be tricky for some members of the public, and members here to grasp, clearly.

Master
    Of course they are allowed and rightly so, but I'm with mj2k on this. Even before lockdown I'd regularly see families walking abreast taking up an entire path or pavement. When another person walks towards them it should be both common courtesy and common sense to get in single file, just for a few seconds so the person can pass. But it doesn't seem to be until I just walk straight at them, and usually the father but occasionally the mother eventually pull a couple of kids in when it's clear I'm not going to slow down or walk in the road for them.

Exactly, these folk behaved the same pre lock down & manners are more important now for these folk to grasp.

Well just thank your lucky stars you are not out here. Dog walkers get shouted at by the Spanish residents along the lines of - " we will remember what you are doing long after this thing is over". It is seen as selfish and irresponsible. They coup themselves up in an apartment for weeks on end and a dog walker takes a nice stroll. It is regarded as legal but very anti social.

We are now allowed out for a one hour walk but very few people are doing it because it is not seen as the right thing to do. The more you stay in, the quicker the R factor goes down and that is seen as the key to getting through this thing. I have a lot more respect for the Spanish today than I used to have.
    Once again Mick you have the words, especially the final point.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Once again Mick you have the words, especially the final point.
    The oldest ones were very obedient. Those who were not did not survive (or emigrated to France, as my wife's grandmother after the Spanish war)

Still don’t understand your theory on this and at what point you think leaving your house will be acceptable. The R factor will increase as soon as any form of lockdown is loosened unless your plan would be to isolate forever. This virus will never go away...we’ve only just getting there with polio and that’s had a vaccine available since 1950.

Exactly, these folk behaved the same pre lock down & manners are more important now for these folk to grasp.

Quite, manners are not only one of the few good things in this world that are effortless and free, but they can now save lives also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Still don’t understand your theory on this and at what point you think leaving your house will be acceptable. The R factor will increase as soon as any form of lockdown is loosened unless your plan would be to isolate forever. This virus will never go away...we’ve only just getting there with polio and that’s had a vaccine available since 1950.
    I would not be able to live with myself if I had passed the virus onto someone else just because I wanted to take a walk or whatever. Despite what the Government says, staying in is more responsible than going outside. Even if there was only a one in a thousand chance of infecting someone else, I would stay in until the R number is down on the floor.

Dog walkers get shouted at by the Spanish residents along the lines of - " we will remember what you are doing long after this thing is over". It is seen as selfish and irresponsible. They coup themselves up in an apartment for weeks on end and a dog walker takes a nice stroll. It is regarded as legal but very anti social.
    Conversly, I would have a little less respect for the Spanish for that attitude - if I thought for a moment it wasn't a sweeping generalisation, that is.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I would not be able to live with myself if I had passed the virus onto someone else just because I wanted to take a walk or whatever. Despite what the Government says, staying in is more responsible than going outside. Even if there was only a one in a thousand chance of infecting someone else, I would stay in until the R number is down on the floor.
    It is established that staying outside is much safer than inside. What is bad is not you walking outside, with or without your dog, but not respecting social distancing while doing so. And by that I mean over 10 meters if you can. Easy in a village, much more difficult in a city, except in the middle of the night maybe.

Master

Seriously, "genetic inbreeding" and "these folk" you need to take a look in the mirror.

If you don’t want to go out and you are happy with your existence for what could be a significant part of the rest of your life then go for it....live and let live.

Equally, if it’s sanctioned by the government then I don’t see a problem walking a dog. I have little respect for simple-minded Spanish people jeering out of a window at someone doing something the government allows. As George Carlin said “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that”. That’s why I’d be doing what our elected governments say and not be steered by individuals leaning out of their house windows.

Blog Entries

Well they could shout away and remember all they liked. I have a little less respect for the Spanish today, after hearing that, than I used to have.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Had to do an emergency visit to the vet this lunchtime with our cat (all good now btw) and lockdown had certainly eased in Watford. Lots of traffic, people out and about and the nearby park was full of groups of people (say 6 or more) which probably weren't from the same household.

Ok it was Sunday and the weather was great...but still.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I live in a rural area, I know most of the houses just been for a walk and 2 houses both have extra cars outside and I can here the chatter of bbq gatherings ... so that’s more people mixing and prolonging the issue.

People are either stupid, selfish or both ...

The government has given people trust they don’t deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    If you don’t want to go out and you are happy with your existence for what could be a significant part of the rest of your life then go for it....live and let live.

Equally, if it’s sanctioned by the government then I don’t see a problem walking a dog. I have little respect for simple-minded Spanish people jeering out of a window at someone doing something the government allows. As George Carlin said “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that”. That’s why I’d be doing what our elected governments say and not be steered by individuals leaning out of their house windows.
    This would be the same Govt that is presiding over the 2nd highest number of deaths in the world, would it? You go for it, good luck to you.

i’ve been on a weekly shop and had someone walk right up to me getting something off the shelf. When I asked him to watch his distance he told me to F off!

The more we stay at home the more we reduce the spread. Yes, social distancing can help but pictures and news footage clearly shows some people don’t give a toss. I can take all the precautions myself but I can’t allow for idiots that don’t. I for one am not willing to take unnecessary risks until such time as the rates drop considerably.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    This would be the same Govt that is presiding over the 2nd highest number of deaths in the world, would it?
    No-one actually knows given discrepancies in consistency of, and quality of reporting. Nor are the numbers in any case a direct reflection of any government's competence in handling the pandemic, given factors such as: prevalence of obesity, population density, cultural factors, age demographics, quality of infection handling in care homes (they aren't necessarily run by national governments, certainly they aren't here). Even the climate plays a part, according to a virologist I heard on 5 Live yesterday. So does the degree of compliance with the restrictive measures put in place.

The figures can be highly convenient of course for people hoping to grind an axe, depending on the way they're interpreted. Here's a set of information from a few days ago:

Interesting that the Swedes are doing relatively well, even better than the UK on this measure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    No-one actually knows given discrepancies in consistency of, and quality of reporting. Nor are the numbers in any case a direct reflection of any government's competence in handling the pandemic, given factors such as: prevalence of obesity, population density, cultural factors, age demographics, quality of infection handling in care homes (they aren't necessarily run by national governments, certainly they aren't here). Even the climate plays a part, according to a virologist I heard on 5 Live yesterday. So does the degree of compliance with the restrictive measures put in place.

The figures can be highly convenient of course for people hoping to grind an axe, depending on the way they're interpreted. Here's a set of information from a few days ago:

Interesting that the Swedes are doing relatively well, even better than the UK on this measure.
    I’m not quite sure how comparing cases is all that valid, especially given that the less you test, the fewer confirmed cases you’ll find.

Deaths per million of the population is probably a better measure, which shows that we’re about neck and neck with Italy and Spain, and still some way behind Belgium.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Notwithstanding that different countries are measuring CV deaths differently, it seems to suggest that despite the differences/arguments around hard’ versus ‘soft’ lockdowns, the end result isn’t that different sadly, ie lots of dead people.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well they could shout away and remember all they liked. I have a little less respect for the Spanish today, after hearing that, than I used to have.
    Got to agree with this, unnecessary, and an example of ‘lockdown fundamentalism’ that’s pretty unhelpful.

It begs the question, what will they remember and what exactly will they do? Sounds a pretty unpleasant situation to be honest.

One of my brothers in law is living in Madrid, pleased to report that nobody is getting shouted at for walking their dog or going outside within the rules there. Must be a regional thing.

Must be a Mick P thing

Definitely more people not sticking to the rules, saw a pair of what I guessed were about 14 year olds walking hand in hand
    in the park this evening and saw something similar couple of days ago but one that shocked me was our neighbours had another car on their drive this afternoon for about an hour could be an explanation but can’t think what it could be. They are the last people I would expect to do something like that.

My guesstimate would be about 75% Will stick to the guidance pretty much completely and between about 5-10 % will
    stretch them a bit, 5-10 % (this may increase and the 75 go down the longer it goes on)will break them regularly and then you have around 5-10% who will do what they like unless they get caught.
    The only way to have gone for a stricter lockdown would probably have required strict police and maybe even army enforcement which in this country I think would not work and as things stand at the moment I would prefer the route we are on but possibly
    things May have to retighten or changes may not happen as quickly as the current rough timetable.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 17th May 2020 at 21:11.

Master
    The only way to have gone for a stricter lockdown would probably have required strict police and maybe even army enforcement which in this country I think would not work.
    You’re right, even if you deployed every member of the Army incl reserves, it still wouldn’t match police manpower.

So, even if you did and it doubled the number of authoritarian figures on the streets, it would still only be twice not very much in terms of numbers.

I’m afraid if this is to work, then we the people are going to have to play along.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    You’re right, even if you deployed every member of the Army incl reserves, it still wouldn’t match police manpower.

So, even if you did and it doubled the number of authoritarian figures on the streets, it would still only be twice not very much in terms of numbers.

I’m afraid if this is to work, then we the people are going to have to play along.
    I actually didn’t mean it wouldn’t work because of numbers but for the same reason I agree it really is down to the people.