closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
Results 1,501 to 1,505 of 1505

Thread: Lockdown easing?

If I do 2 tests (nose and throat) at the same time, and count them as 2, what vital information do I get, that I wouldn’t if I did only one?
    In other words, what conclusion can I draw if the 2 results are different?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If I do 2 tests (nose and throat) at the same time, and count them as 2, what vital information do I get, that I wouldn’t if I did only one?
    Two tests reduces the risk of a false negative:

Professor Keith Neal, an epidemiologist at the University of Nottingham, told MailOnline: 'We know that tests don't always work'.
    He added that sometimes people might be tested twice in one go.

'If you do a mouth swab and a nose swab they are separate samples, they would go through the assay separately and would be counted as two tests. If you used the same swab for both it would be one test, but it's not often normal to use the same swab.

For in-hospital cases it might be highly appropriate to make sure you don't miss a diagnosis, particularly if you want to rule out COVID-19. If you do two tests the risk of a false negative is lower.'

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Two tests reduces the risk of a false negative:

Professor Keith Neal, an epidemiologist at the University of Nottingham, told MailOnline: 'We know that tests don't always work'.
    He added that sometimes people might be tested twice in one go.

'If you do a mouth swab and a nose swab they are separate samples, they would go through the assay separately and would be counted as two tests. If you used the same swab for both it would be one test, but it's not often normal to use the same swab.

For in-hospital cases it might be highly appropriate to make sure you don't miss a diagnosis, particularly if you want to rule out COVID-19. If you do two tests the risk of a false negative is lower.'
    Sounds quite sensible. As you say it would involve testing two samples so therefore it is two tests not one.
    Cuidich 'n Righ

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Perhaps it’s one test to determine whether you have/had had Covid and the second test is to determine the viral load.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Sounds quite sensible. As you say it would involve testing two samples so therefore it is two tests not one.
    How do you know whether it's a false negative or a false positive? Should we then make 3 tests in one go, as the split would be 2 to 1?

The real question is why do we do these tests?
    If we're testing NHS workers, then it's better to test them once every day, or every other day, or every 3 days, or once a week, depending on level of exposure. I am sure there are protocols that have been validated.
    If we're testing patients, the double test MAY make sense. Or, it would if we had a place to isolate them before the results came back. In the mean time, where do they go at the moment?
    If we're testing the population, and we have an idea of statical percentage of false negative/ false positive, there is no need to double test.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.