closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1516

Thread: Lockdown easing?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    No. If you say you did x amount of tests, that's different to saying you tested x amount of people.

I know you and others on here desperately want to run down the government, because they successfully pursued policies you disagree with, but at least try to be honest.
    It’s like saying you have had 15000 haircuts when you have had your haircut.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Great interview and with Israel's former head of health.

"What you get is fear and anxiety, and an inability to look at real data"

Short interview, well worth a read.

http://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05...peoples-lives/

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Don't be surprised: it's the accepted nickname given to her by the Rob(NZ)s of this world, who would much prefer if NZ had a terrible death toll so that they would not look so stupid when criticising her.
    Bear in mind that RobNZ was extremely reluctant to condemn the mosque massacre in his own country and it will give you an idea of the kind of person you are talking to.

No. If you say you did x amount of tests, that's different to saying you tested x amount of people.

I know you and others on here desperately want to run down the government, because they successfully pursued policies you disagree with, but at least try to be honest.
    chuckle'd. Keep the faith ook.

Bigotry, Alex, that’s all it takes, and bigots they are. Things are so bad for them in Kiwiland that NZ’s opposition just sacked it’s leader a few months before the election because they hope the change will avoid a landslide victory for JA.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It’s like saying you have had 15000 haircuts when you have had your haircut.
    Excellent

Or counting a pair of gloves as two pieces of PPE.

Look at how many PPE items you can get in one box.

(Dunno if it counts as 6 or 360 though).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Look at how many PPE items you can get in one box.

(Dunno if it counts as 6 or 360 though).

R
    That depends upon who's doing the maths.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd May 2020 at 09:43.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    That depends upon who's doing the maths.
    Nice edit. I know how you like to save posts so I saved it for you.

Last edited by oldoakknives; 23rd May 2020 at 11:20.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Nice edit.
    I try to consider your sensitivities

Is it useful for you to know how many test samples a patient has provided in the process of being tested for COVID, or would you rather know how many actual people are tested? Which number is more useful, hmmm let me think on that

I am truly astounded at your ability to defend the indefensible. Do you tolerate being lied to and manipulated as easily in real life by people you know? Are your expectations of people set equally as low?

Your supposition that I want to run the Gov down (desperately!) begs the question - why do you want to support them when they have lied and manipulated and failed? Give us something to support them and it will be acknowledged. I remember praising them when they announced they hit 100,000 tests a day when it looked unlikely. only for a day or two later for it come out that it was fudge. Conned again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Is it useful for you to know how many test samples a patient has provided in the process of being tested for COVID, or would you rather know how many actual people are tested? Which number is more useful, hmmm let me think on that

I am truly astounded at your ability to defend the indefensible. Do you tolerate being lied to and manipulated as easily in real life by people you know? Are your expectations of people set equally as low?

Your supposition that I want to run the Gov down (desperately!) begs the question - why do you want to support them when they have lied and manipulated and failed? Give us something to support them and it will be acknowledged. I remember praising them when they announced they hit 100,000 tests a day when it looked unlikely. only for a day or two later for it come out that it was fudge. Conned again.
    I would like to know both numbers. One shows how many tests are being carried out, the other how many people have been tested. They are obviously different figures. If you find it difficult to understand that it's not because they lied to you, it's because you didn't pay attention.

I don't simply want to support the government, but on the other hand I don't think they have failed, I think they have worked hard to balance many factors. Whatever course they took would have led to the same old people criticising it, you must be able to see that. It's telling that the main people criticising the government on other issues are now queuing up to do the same on this one.

Forgive me for using your own argument against you, but desperately supporting the government because they successfully pursued policies you agreed with is also not honest, I guess if you admitted to yourself that they are conning us now, they might have been conning you then.
    They are conniving and dishonest and manipulative and should be called out whenever it’s warranted regardless of what party you support.
    I’ve been a Conservative supporter all my life but this current crop don’t deserve my support and that has nothing to do with Brexit.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Counting a pair of gloves as 2 items of PPE is working very hard to balance something, right enough. Misleading the public by manipulating the figures being one of those somethings.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Forgive me for using your own argument against you, but desperately supporting the government because they successfully pursued policies you agreed with is also not honest, I guess if you admitted to yourself that they are conning us now, they might have been conning you then.
    They are conniving and dishonest and manipulative and should be called out whenever it’s warranted regardless of what party you support.
    I’ve been a Conservative supporter all my life but this current crop don’t deserve my support and that has nothing to do with Brexit.
    As I said below I do not simply want to support the government come what may. Nor do I think it's fair to use hindsight to criticise their actions especially coming from politicians who would probably have done a lot worse. Can you imagine the shadow cabinet going into the last election being in charge of this crisis? I shudder to think what the outcome would have been.
    And I don't think I was conned by them in the past, thats just an insult oft used by those who lost the argument.
    I'm not saying the government couldn't have done better. But saying they are "...conniving and dishonest and manipulative..." could be applied to many politicians of many parties.

I don't simply want to support the government, but on the other hand I don't think they have failed, I think they have worked hard to balance many factors. Whatever course they took would have led to the same old people criticising it, you must be able to see that. It's telling that the main people criticising the government on other issues are now queuing up to do the same on this one.

As I said below I do not simply want to support the government come what may. Nor do I think it's fair to use hindsight to criticise their actions especially coming from politicians who would probably have done a lot worse. Can you imagine the shadow cabinet going into the last election being in charge of this crisis? I shudder to think what the outcome would have been.
    And I don't think I was conned by them in the past, thats just an insult oft used by those who lost the argument.
    I'm not saying the government couldn't have done better. But saying they are "...conniving and dishonest and manipulative..." could be applied to many politicians of many parties.
    I do agree with some of what you say, the Shadow cabinet was very unappealing indeed, and also that many politicians of many parties are dishonest etc, but that’s all the more reason to not support them, supporting this lot just because they better than the the other lot doesnt get us anywhere.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I do agree with some of what you say, the Shadow cabinet was very unappealing indeed, and also that many politicians of many parties are dishonest etc, but that’s all the more reason to not support them, supporting this lot just because they better than the the other lot doesnt get us anywhere.
    It's just whataboutism, but the fact is that this government is the government and rightly should be held to account when they get things wrong.

R

Excellent

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I would like to know both numbers. One shows how many tests are being carried out, the other how many people have been tested. They are obviously different figures. If you find it difficult to understand that it's not because they lied to you, it's because you didn't pay attention.
    If a friend says they have just been for a blood test do you want to know how many actual tests they have had?

Honestly, what do you do with this information? If there has been 120,000 tests (that is kits issued whether used, disposed or whatever) but 75,000 were actually analysed in a lab, which number is more important? Unless you're the sales manager of a test kit supplier, kits used is irrelevant and deliberately used to deceive.

Back to the lockdown, where does the Gov go next with schools? They have met a lot of opposition to their plans that has'nt been seen to the same degree in other countries. How can they regain the trust of the public and the people charged with making it happen? What happens if schools fail to open against the Gov's wishes?

Master
    If a friend says they have just been for a blood test do you want to know how many actual tests they have had?

Honestly, what do you do with this information? If there has been 120,000 tests (that is kits issued whether used, disposed or whatever) but 75,000 were actually analysed in a lab, which number is more important? Unless you're the sales manager of a test kit supplier, kits used is irrelevant and deliberately used to deceive.

Back to the lockdown, where does the Gov go next with schools? They have met a lot of opposition to their plans that has'nt been seen to the same degree in other countries. How can they regain the trust of the public and the people charged with making it happen? What happens if schools fail to open against the Gov's wishes?
    You can presume track and trace will be “available” by 1st June. Working faultlessly - not a chance. Working “adequately” - unlikely.

Craftsman
    It's just whataboutism, but the fact is that this government is the government and rightly should be held to account when they get things wrong.

R
    Yes perhaps a public enquiry once this is all over and learn from it for the future, in the middle of a global pandemic its simply not useful to keep finger pointing imo

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    You can presume track and trace will be “available” by 1st June. Working faultlessly - not a chance.
    Oh I'm sure it'll be up and running, just take any figures they give with a humongous pinch of salt.

Blog Entries

No I don't want to know how many tests they had.

If 120,000 test kits are issued, then 120,000 tests were available. If only 75,000 were analysed both figures are important. We need to know what happened to the other 45,000?

As for schools, why has there been so much opposition to re-opening in this country which hasn't been seen in other countries? What is the difference in this country? Could it have something to do with unions perhaps? Or do our teachers know something that other countries teachers don't?
    I saw a report on schools in Denmark and admit I was really impressed by the teachers attitudes and the way they seemed determined to make things work, rather than dragging their feet and looking for problems at every turn. I'm not saying these things will be easy, but it would be nice to hear a positive voice from those involved for once.

That's impressive, you took a screen shot 27 minutes after I edited it, I'm puzzled and of course very flattered - to be the center of such attention.

Of course you all know the rules that Eddie follows when he decides to act against a poster, and those who quote a contentious post, in this case a political post. The OP realised he was in the G&D, and changed his post. What do those who quoted him do?

I've said several times that this topic is eminently political, yet I believe it is a necessary thread considering our daily life. I think that Eddie thinks the same or this thread would be gone. But it also mean we have to tread a fine line...

Lolz.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Of course you all know the rules that Eddie follows when he decides to act against a poster, and those who quote a contentious post, in this case a political post. The OP realised he was in the G&D, and changed his post. What do those who quoted him do?

I've said several times that this topic is eminently political, yet I believe it is a necessary thread considering our daily life. I think that Eddie thinks the same or this thread would be gone. But it also mean we have to tread a fine line...
    One was a mistake, which when realised was corrected.

R

One was a mistake, which when realised was corrected.

R
    Saying the OP was not the right word. He was the OP compared to the reposts only. But that was what I was trying to say

Blog Entries
    That's impressive, you took a screen shot 27 minutes after I edited it, I'm puzzled and of course very flattered - to be the center of such attention.
    Simply returning the compliment from your post below. Actually left it on the screen to reply to but real life intervened!

And - saved.

The fact is that I edited my error @ 9:43 yet the time on the screenshot says 10;10 besides someone trying to make trouble I'm left wondering how?

Simply returning the compliment from your post below. Actually left it on the screen to reply to but real life intervened!
    Fair enough,
    I've said before Ian that if this is a 'virtual pub' we all need to be able to take a bit of a ribbing now and then, enjoy the rest of the evening.

Blog Entries
    The fact is that I edited my error @ 9:43 yet the time on the screenshot says 10;10 besides someone trying to make trouble I'm left wondering how?
    Quite simply I was looking on an I Phone at first, which leaves pages open unless you close them before exiting Safari. So when I went to reply to you on the Mac and the post had been changed I simply screen shotted it on the phone.
    To be honest it being 'political' wasn't the point I was making. It was simply that you seem like quoting my posts to 'save' them for some reason.

Blog Entries
    Fair enough,
    I've said before Ian that if this is a 'virtual pub' we all need to be able to take a bit of a ribbing now and then, enjoy the rest of the evening.
    True. You too.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Or counting a pair of gloves as two pieces of PPE.
    Surely that dependant upon how they are ordered. You might assume that gloves are ordered in pairs, however that might not be the case, as some surgeons for example might double glove one hand, thus order two pairs would be wasteful. So is this 3 gloves or 1.5 pars?

Also, according to the wife, sometimeS the NHS ordering system prevents the ordering of single item, so actually you might not be able to order a single apron (for example) only a box of 10. Therefore does this count as one item of PPE (because that’s what you order) or 10 pieces because that what’s in the box.

As usual the devil is in the detail, which, as usual, many forum members simply don’t have, but it won’t stop them voice a POV, which is wrong!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Surgical gloves for procedures are very different to regular gloves in a box for everything else so your example will be relevant to a minuscule number of ordered gloves. Seeing as a lot of elective surgery has been on hold for a few months this number will be even smaller.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Surely that dependant upon how they are ordered. You might assume that gloves are ordered in pairs, however that might not be the case, as some surgeons for example might double glove one hand, thus order two pairs would be wasteful. So is this 3 gloves or 1.5 pars?

Also, according to the wife, sometimeS the NHS ordering system prevents the ordering of single item, so actually you might not be able to order a single apron (for example) only a box of 10. Therefore does this count as one item of PPE (because that’s what you order) or 10 pieces because that what’s in the box.

As usual the devil is in the detail, which, as usual, many forum members simply don’t have, but it won’t stop them voice a POV, which is wrong!
    The devil certainly can be in the detail, so for clarity are you suggesting that the NHS ordering system incorporates the ability to order gloves singly? (How many gloves a surgeon - or any medical practitioner for that matter - chooses to take out of the supplies is irrelevant to the multiples).

R

The devil certainly can be in the detail, so for clarity are you suggesting that the NHS ordering system incorporates the ability to order gloves singly? (How many gloves a surgeon - or any medical practitioner for that matter - chooses to take out of the supplies is irrelevant to the multiples).

R
    Can’t see where he’s suggesting that. Not singles but gloves often sold by the box of 100 or whatever and they aren’t counted in pairs.

Master
    Blog Entries

As for schools, why has there been so much opposition to re-opening in this country which hasn't been seen in other countries? What is the difference in this country? Could it have something to do with unions perhaps? Or do our teachers know something that other countries teachers don't?
    I saw a report on schools in Denmark and admit I was really impressed by the teachers attitudes and the way they seemed determined to make things work, rather than dragging their feet and looking for problems at every turn. I'm not saying these things will be easy, but it would be nice to hear a positive voice from those involved for once.

A lot of the opposition in the UK is from parents, OOK. Our village school is reopening but I suspect very few kids will go. The Year 6 will, mostly - final chance to see friends before they go to secondary school.

Reception? Dream on. Keeping 4-5 year olds socially distanced will be a nightmare and the parents don’t see that it will be done. Deciding the night before what toys will be used. Keeping all outside toys cordoned off. Very practical. Year Ones might be slightly better but again they are 5-6 so keeping distance will be very difficult. There is a one-way system being introduced to keep the 2 main groups apart but the school is a Victorian building so very ‘round the houses’

Whatever the staff think, they are planning, organising and will be present to open the school - if parents send their kids. The guidance is to encourage parents but NOT fine them so as long as parents are able to look after their children at home, a lot of them will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Can’t see where he’s suggesting that. Not singles but gloves often sold by the box of 100 or whatever and they aren’t counted in pairs.
    Can you see what he is suggesting, as ‘some surgeons for example might double glove one hand, thus order two pairs would be wasteful’ is why I’m asking for clarity?

R

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    A lot of the opposition in the UK is from parents, OOK. Our village school is reopening but I suspect very few kids will go. The Year 6 will, mostly - final chance to see friends before they go to secondary school.

Reception? Dream on. Keeping 4-5 year olds socially distanced will be a nightmare and the parents don’t see that it will be done. Deciding the night before what toys will be used. Keeping all outside toys cordoned off. Very practical. Year Ones might be slightly better but again they are 5-6 so keeping distance will be very difficult. There is a one-way system being introduced to keep the 2 main groups apart but the school is a Victorian building so very ‘round the houses’

Whatever the staff think, they are planning, organising and will be present to open the school - if parents send their kids. The guidance is to encourage parents but NOT fine them so as long as parents are able to look after their children at home, a lot of them will.
    I don’t think there’s been any suggestion that our teachers know something that other countries don’t, has there?

What I do think they know is that it will be very challenging to keep young children socially distanced. Older children would at least understand the concept of keeping apart from each other though, which does raise the question of the government’s choice of age grouping to ‘kick off’ the gradual return to school.

R

Blog Entries
    I thought the younger/primary age children have been chosen because that would free up the parents to get back to work, at least partially. I didn't realise that that was a big secret - I'm sure it was mentioned explicitly or if not, in the sub-text?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I thought the younger/primary age children have been chosen because that would free up the parents to get back to work, at least partially. I didn't realise that that was a big secret - I'm sure it was mentioned explicitly or if not, in the sub-text?
    Reception will be hardest to socially isolate, followed by year 1. Seems an odd choice.

Something I'm not clear about - what is the score with academies?

These were set up to maximise the opportunity to fleece the taxpayer the autonomy of the school or the trust it was in and remove entirely the control of the LEA - what happens if ones decides to stay closed?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Something I'm not clear about - what is the score with academies?

These were set up to maximise the opportunity to fleece the taxpayer the autonomy of the school or the trust it was in and remove entirely the control of the LEA - what happens if ones decides to stay closed?
    I am an ex School Governor and if they and Headteacher say it closes, then it closes.

Incidentally, academies have been the best thing since 1944 to happen to schools, the LEAs were an underperforming mess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am an ex School Governor and if they and Headteacher say it closes, then it closes.

Incidentally, academies have been the best thing since 1944 to happen to schools, the LEAs were an underperforming mess.
    I can’t agree, they’re professional game players. Shifting resources to next school expecting an ofsted.

Master

Lockdown easing?

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    No I don't want to know how many tests they had.

If 120,000 test kits are issued, then 120,000 tests were available. If only 75,000 were analysed both figures are important. We need to know what happened to the other 45,000?

Yes, it really would be nice to hear a positive voice #irony

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Yes, it really would be nice to hear a positive voice #irony
    So my questioning negativity, is itself negative?

Are you bored or just want to comment on something, anything?

If I do 2 tests (nose and throat) at the same time, and count them as 2, what vital information do I get, that I wouldn’t if I did only one?
    In other words, what conclusion can I draw if the 2 results are different?