closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calgon

Calgon

[Mumsnet]

"Washing machines live longer with Calgon"

I had to bin my last washing machine, because it got all gungy and stinky. Is this stuff worthwhile using, or marketing w*nk?

[/Mumsnet]

Master
    I thought it was to combat limescale - maybe it’s your powder/gel

I run a hot wash with some soda crystals through mine every now and then

Master
    Mrs Macca being the domestic goddess that she is swears by this stuff, keeps the machine clean and keeps the sludge etc from building up

From my point of view we have a busy household with work uniforms and children etc .. I regularly empty the filter where the pump is, stops the machine from backing up with rubbish and killing itself, got 2 daughters on top of mrs m and there’s always hair bobbles, clips, earrings etc to be salvaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always thought that marketing tagline is weird. Unless there are sentient AI washing machines. But it's still weird.

Did their legal team quash the idea of using the word 'last' as opposed to 'live', perhaps? Who knows.

Unless it acts like some Frankenstein's monster where the application of electricity and Calgon produces something that not only keeps your clothes clean but scales castle walls and roams mountains.

I don't feel I've been particularly helpful here. Sorry.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I've always thought that marketing tagline is weird. Unless there are sentient AI washing machines. But it's still weird.

Did their legal team quash the idea of using the word 'last' as opposed to 'live', perhaps? Who knows.

Unless it acts like some Frankenstein's monster where the application of electricity and Calgon produces something that not only keeps your clothes clean but scales castle walls and roams mountains.

I don't feel I've been particularly helpful here. Sorry.
    Excellent pedantry. Well done sir.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How much is Calgon if you use it every wash ?
    How much is a new washing machine ?

Case solved.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Master
    We spend about 7/8 quid on cleaner a year, cleaned twice a year and it makes a heck of a difference, prolongs then life of the machine it’s so obvious! And we don’t half give waging machines some hammer

So hardly case closed

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Twice a year isn't the same as 2 or three times a day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post

But he’s using something different- it is good stuff and worth a twice a year ‘clean’- the excess detergent build up is horrible

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post

Calgon is a rip off I agree with that

Since I’ve had a water softener it has helped. Once a month I just run the hottest wash I can empty and this seems to keep the machine clean.

Craftsman
    her indoors does a wash using cider vinegar and the hot wash cycle once a month

Master
    A kilo of soda crystals every 6 months in a hot wash .

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Since I’ve had a water softener it has helped. Once a month I just run the hottest wash I can empty and this seems to keep the machine clean.
    We live in North Norfolk which has very hard water, when we moved in the house had a water softener fitted and I asked local friends - and a couple of plumbers - if it was worth having. The answer from everyone was ‘unless you want a new washing machine and dishwasher every year to 18 months, keep using the softener’ - 5 years later, having bought a new dishwasher and washing machine just after moving in, they all work fine, and without Calgon!

Master
    Washing powder has softener built in which is why the amount recommended varies with water hardness.

Soda crystals are added to washing powder each wash. A wash at 90 degrees is also done monthly

If you use conditioner, it best to water it down as it is quite thick, or just use white vinegar in the conditioner compartment instead. The vinegar is better for softening towels. Your clothes do not smell like chippy!

The previous washer lasted 18/19 years.

Master
    If you buy a cheap tat type machine, then there is no need to use Calgon, it is going to give up the ghost sooner or later. If you buy something decent
    like a Miele then you would be a fool not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you buy a cheap tat type machine, then there is no need to use Calgon, it is going to give up the ghost sooner or later. If you buy something decent
    like a Miele then you would be a fool not to use it.
    The last 2 washing machines I’ve had were £350 hotpoint cheap tat machines. One of my sons is disabled so they do a full load and bedding most days and the last one I left at my old house was still working, after 10 years and I replaced the door in that time myself, nothing else. This one’s been going for 5 years, no issues. I reckon there’s a bit of luck involved, and I won’t be having another hotpoint now they are owned by whirlpool - but at Miele’s prices they ought to be flipping amazing?!?!

Master
    Blog Entries

Calgon

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The last 2 washing machines I’ve had were £350 hotpoint cheap tat machines. One of my sons is disabled so they do a full load and bedding most days and the last one I left at my old house was still working, after 10 years and I replaced the door in that time myself, nothing else. This one’s been going for 5 years, no issues. I reckon there’s a bit of luck involved, and I won’t be having another hotpoint now they are owned by whirlpool - but at Miele’s prices they ought to be flipping amazing?!?!

Good gen that, I am in the market for a new machine and was looking at another Hotpoint or a Samsung. Samsung it is then.
    Last edited by Middo; 24th May 2020 at 20:23.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Good gen that, Ian in the market for a new machine and was looking at another Hotpoint or a Samsung. Samsung it is then.
    Very sad I know but I just bought a new machine.

LG with steam function, couldn't be happier with it

Master
    I agree - It's called a maintenence wash and most manufacturers recommend it once a month. .

We add some lemon juice to the powder tray when filling- on the hottest wash possible (500ml tesco 90p).

I check that it has been done monthly. It's a machine

B

Master
    Blog Entries
    We do the same.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    Very sad I know but I just bought a new machine.

LG with steam function, couldn't be happier with it
    That’s but I get a bid discount on Samsung, Hotpoint/whirlpool/ Indesit via work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Good gen that, I am in the market for a new machine and was looking at another Hotpoint or a Samsung. Samsung it is then.
    Our Samsung lasted a week out of guarantee until it threw a bearing. Never touching their machines again as wasn’t cheap. We now have a cheap one in the utility & will just replace as required. Lasted twice as long as the Samsung & the only issue was the anti flood device on the inlet leaked, ironically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Over past 15 years we have had several Bosch, Siemens washing machines all ended up gummed & stained seal etc, no matter what cleaners we used regularly.
    Someone mentioned at work they changed to Samsung add wash, so what the hell give it a go.
    Three years old used almost everyday & still clean & fresh never needs any cleaners as it cleans itself.
    Change your machine & chill.
    It has 5 or 6 year warranty.
    Last edited by g40steve; 25th May 2020 at 19:42.