closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All kicking off on the Facebook Rolex sales forum..

All kicking off on the Facebook Rolex sales forum..

Accusations of fake sales by dealers trying to keep inflated prices high selling the same watch multiple times to create the illusion..
    All sorts going on..
    Plenty of members having their pennies worth.
    You choose..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have Facebook so will have to miss out and catch the snippets here but I don't doubt there are a lot of dealers who pretend watches have sold to inflate the prices.

I took myself off the Rolex forum on Facebook last week as I felt something wasn’t quite right with it.

I quit TRF years ago and most of the FB groups that I have been on are a complete waste of time, just random people sharing pics of watches, just like a great big Friday thread that goes on all week. I don't bother with FB these days.

I suppose the dealers are terrified of a collapsing market so need to create an illusion somehow, but great if people have rumbled what's going on and shared it.

Master
    I’m on a few and occasionally pop in - the GS and VC ones are good and to be fair the Rolex ones are fine if you just don’t read the carp - should I buy this watch? Which watch is the best investment?

I use FB like all forums, I only read what interests me and I try and not get too involved.

It does not come as a surprise the chancers are trying to still manipulate the market and keep prices over inflated.

Looking forward to when the prices are back to RRP and people who actually want to buy them to wear can without AD waiting lists or having to pay over the odds.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 2nd May 2020 at 21:00.

Massive yawn

Craftsman

Profit

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don't have Facebook so will have to miss out and catch the snippets here but I don't doubt there are a lot of dealers who pretend watches have sold to inflate the prices.

The dealers are currently seeing their profits disappearing before them as the market currently stagnates with the glut of watches sitting in display cases not just in the UK but around the World and the potentially impending collapse of the overpriced steel sports sector which has propped them up handsomely.

We have seen many examples of businesses in the past and present who manipulated the market or their own reporting profits etc to keep the illusion alive, anyone seen Enron, the smartest guys in the room movie.

These kind of stories will do nothing for the reputation of the secondary dealers or confidence of buyers, who are basically being lied to by dealers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    I took myself off the Rolex forum on Facebook last week as I felt something wasn’t quite right with it.

I took myself off Facebook about six years ago , never missed it once.

There are obviously a lot of worried dealers out there scared that they have overpayed for their stock. Personally I don’t think they need to worry too much when it comes to Rolex. Rolex have masterminded this whole situation to build up the illusion of exclusivity and they won’t let it go. Waiting lists, qualifying purchases, sticker removal, retaining warranty cards, all of the things that buyers have blamed AD’s for, have all been instigated by Rolex themselves. If they see that demand has dropped 20% after lockdown ends they will just cut production levels to compensate. They will sacrifice short term sales in order to keep the waiting lists going and maintain the image of a steel sports Rolex as a hard to get exclusive item. I don’t see Hulks or Daytonas sitting in AD windows anytime soon. Dealers just need to hold on a little longer for their profits.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I took myself off Facebook about six years ago , never missed it once.
    Years ago I set myself up on Facebook with a mobile number (which I have subsequently changed). There are no ‘friends’ and only ‘friends of friends’ can add me.

That way I have the control I want and can interact with sports and watch groups in the way I want.

Craftsman
    I've seen a few posts about this on Faceboo, it looks really messy, and from my point of view, it looks like both sides are being silly.

I'm not interested, it'll blow over if a few days, so I'm not going to bother with it.

Craftsman

Hold on.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    There are obviously a lot of worried dealers out there scared that they have overpayed for their stock. Personally I don’t think they need to worry too much when it comes to Rolex. Rolex have masterminded this whole situation to build up the illusion of exclusivity and they won’t let it go. Waiting lists, qualifying purchases, sticker removal, retaining warranty cards, all of the things that buyers have blamed AD’s for, have all been instigated by Rolex themselves. If they see that demand has dropped 20% after lockdown ends they will just cut production levels to compensate. They will sacrifice short term sales in order to keep the waiting lists going and maintain the image of a steel sports Rolex as a hard to get exclusive item. I don’t see Hulks or Daytonas sitting in AD windows anytime soon. Dealers just need to hold on a little longer for their profits.
    Dealers may just feel that have to hold on a little longer for their profits but the secondary market prices over the coming 6-24 months will be dictated by the buyers who hold to their jobs and the value they put on a simple steel watch, not the dealers.

Craftsman
    I was reading the posts today. Neither side are doing themselves any favours.

No thanks, - there's enough ''Rolex stuff'' on here.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Is there a link to the conversation somebody can provide?

Personally I can’t stand social media and stay away from it as much as possible, I only use it for trying to stay current within my business.

The amount of self absorbed attention seeking individuals who require others of similar nature to tell them how great they are, feel sorry for them or agree with their self obsessed rantings is frankly embarrassing, unfortunately the most powerful man in the world falls into this description.

The thought of social media mixing with Rolex talk just makes me squirm, I can see the BLNR’s sat on the fake tans now, Hulks with Range Rover steering wheels and ceramic Daytona’s with Gucci bags..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Personally I can’t stand social media and stay away from it as much as possible, I only use it for trying to stay current within my business.

The amount of self absorbed attention seeking individuals who require others of similar nature to tell them how great they are, feel sorry for them or agree with their self obsessed rantings is frankly embarrassing, unfortunately the most powerful man in the world falls into this description.

The thought of social media mixing with Rolex talk just makes me squirm, I can see the BLNR’s sat on the fake tans now, Hulks with Range Rover steering wheels and ceramic Daytona’s with Gucci bags..
    I thought you were describing Britain’s best internet based watch forum for a second.

Journeyman
    Aye, seen this on that group. Was good to sit back and watch the carnage

Master
    Blog Entries
    I assume this is moderated to hell on the forum itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Is there a link to the conversation somebody can provide?
    Agreed - this is all pretty meaningless unless the OP points us in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    I assume this is moderated to hell on the forum itself?
    The moderators on these groups are not there out of any sense of duty and fair play. To most its self serving and they get involved to serve their own agenda.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed - this is all pretty meaningless unless the OP points us in the right direction.
    I’m guessing I read the same posts as the OP. I can’t confirm whether it’s true or not and I wouldn’t post what was said as If any of it is untrue I’m guessing there’s possible legal ramifications. So pretty meaningless lost from me as well . . .

So I would say is that if anyone is looking to buy off anyone I guess, then do your own research and get feedback from others. Probably now more than ever as times are hard for many.

Journeyman

I couldn’t agree more. I think the current pandemic may ‘reset’ the hobby somewhat and we can get back to wearing/collecting watches for the love of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
    I couldn’t agree more. I think the current pandemic may ‘reset’ the hobby somewhat and we can get back to wearing/collecting watches for the love of them.
    Hopefully that’s the case, but human nature tells me that 5/10 years from now we’ll be looking back at 2020 Rolex prices and laughing at how cheap they were!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I thought you were describing Britain’s best internet based watch forum for a second.
    I've read it through twice and it could easily be describing the best internet based watch forum, complete with a small political point thrown in

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

5/10 years from now we’ll be looking back at 2020 Rolex prices and laughing at how cheap they were!!
    Or just how crazy things were with people prepared to pay over retail!

Journeyman
    Hopefully that’s the case, but human nature tells me that 5/10 years from now we’ll be looking back at 2020 Rolex prices and laughing at how cheap they were!!
    I suppose it depends on how the situation changes people’s outlook on life, if at all.

Master
    All kicking off on the Facebook Rolex sales forum..

Just like the TZ sales corner when there is a Rolex for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Just like the TZ sales corner when there is a Rolex for sale.
    To be fair we haven't had a bun fight since Ally's raffle prize was relisted. The decent listings have sold and the crazy prices are now on page 12 unsold.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Or just how crazy things were with people prepared to pay over retail!
    I would like to agree with you but it’s like a status symbol to pay above RRP, to say I paid 20k for a 10k watch shows how exclusive that watch is, and it also says look how much cash I’ve got..

Master
    The simple reality is that no one can buck the market. Facebook along with street dealers, eBay and even the SC are all part and parcel of the market. No one can influence such a wide spread market. Prices go up and then they go down and then rise again only to drop ad infinitum. It as always been thus and is only to be expected.

The good news is that we probably have a buying opportunity episode ahead of us.

I would like to agree with you but it’s like a status symbol to pay above RRP, to say I paid 20k for a 10k watch shows how exclusive that watch is, and it also says look how much cash I’ve got..
    A fool and his money as the saying goes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

The good news is that we probably have a buying opportunity episode ahead of us.
    For those left who haven’t got fed up with the game and moved on already

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    For those left who haven’t got fed up with the game and moved on already
    Quite.

Two months ago, after a decent 2019, I was about ready to sell-down a few of mine and use the cash + a bit of extra to go for a “keeper” Rolex.

Now?

I’m looking at prices of things I like and thinking, “this year is going to be awful, I will be happy if I get to March 2021 with a job and having been paid my salary for 12 months”, and any spare £’s I had are staying in the ISA because it’s my wife’s 50th next year and I’d rather spend the money on a good holiday for us both.

If things perk up a bit and it looks like a path to green is emerging in Q2, I will certainly revise that view, by how much? We’ll have to wait and see.

handbags at down lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    handbags at down lol
    Handbags at 'down' FCS.
    Sorry, lockdown fever getting to me.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Oh for goodness sake, can someone please share a link !!!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Nadeem View Post
    I was reading the posts today. Neither side are doing themselves any favours.
    Sounds very familiar ....

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Oh for goodness sake, can someone please share a link !!!

Simon
    I imagine it will be a closed group, all the groups I know about on Facebook dealing with Rolex sales are - so a link won't work, you'll need to request entry from an administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    A fool and his money as the saying goes
    As the exception to the rule the same was said when the ceramic Daytona was released and people paid £14k-£16k for them. Even now they'll be worth more than that. £12k for a BLNR/LVc however is just plain silly.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I would tend to agree with this.

Off the back of this and the other "has anyone had the call" thread I've contacted a number of dealers to see if I can lay my hands on one of these so-called stock watches which are falling in value at a rate of knots - not one has said anything other than "there is a large waiting list for that particular model."

I just don't see the prices changing, it might just take a bit longer for the dealers to achieve those prices.

Master
    It could be argued that Rolex act as OPEC does, but at least it only has to manage itself.

The ADs seem like they will do anything in order to stock Rolex watches.

I have never had a facebook account, I am not sure that I am missing out on much

The Vostok groups on Facebook are so much more friendly, except for one where it's properly going mental at the moment. I mean really batsh*t crazy! It could seriously be the best watch related shenanigans ever to go down on Facebook. I'm looking at it right now... oh my god, the humanity!

Yes Lampo, that's true. But have you put your name on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Yes Lampo, that's true. But have you put your name on the list?
    Indeed I have.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    It could be argued that Rolex act as OPEC does, but at least it only has to manage itself.

The ADs seem like they will do anything in order to stock Rolex watches.

I have never had a facebook account, I am not sure that I am missing out on much

Years ago I was a member of the local history/ nostalgia Facebook group for my local area , a really informative helpful with regular updates.

That group degenerated into a bit of bitching and back stabbing , the final straw for me was when someone asked if anyone knew who the cheapest pizza delivery service was in our area.

That was the day I disengaged from Facebook, cleared all my details off it , never to return.

Master

That middle paragraph absolutely nails it. The amount of adults who embarrass themselves is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by tleefox View Post
    I would tend to agree with this.

Off the back of this and the other "has anyone had the call" thread I've contacted a number of dealers to see if I can lay my hands on one of these so-called stock watches which are falling in value at a rate of knots - not one has said anything other than "there is a large waiting list for that particular model."

I just don't see the prices changing, it might just take a bit longer for the dealers to achieve those prices.
    But surely that waiting list is evaporating, judging by the number of people who got out or are getting out, im sure if they were to contact each person on the list a huge number would decline, these are tough times and a huge number of people need to save their money for more important things.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    But surely that waiting list is evaporating, judging by the number of people who got out or are getting out, im sure if they were to contact each person on the list a huge number would decline, these are tough times and a huge number of people need to save their money for more important things.
    Maybe - suppose the next few months will tell. I've got my funds ringfenced and ready to go so happy to wait it out for a while.