closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ming 27.01

Master

New Ming 27.01

Bit of an oopsie by Fratello - launch is at 2pm UK time, so looks like they've jumped the gun

https://www.fratellowatches.com/new-release-ming-27-01/

At CHF 3,950 is's a significant increase over the 17 series offerings. Some interesting developments, with an ultra-slim 6.9mm case thickness and machine-hollowed lugs, but I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by the dial-side design - thought there might have been an exciting new design language, but appears to be more of a refinement over previous designs.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 1st May 2020 at 13:50.

Master
    I too was expecting something a bit different, especially concerning the dial.
    Last edited by Bondurant; 1st May 2020 at 14:03.

Agree, underwhelmed by the dial.
    But that is a very, very svelte case at 6.9mm thick. That is lovely.

The slim case and curve of the lugs are lovely.
    The face, however, isn't... and l couldn't bring myself to own a watch with the word "Ming" on it... but that's just my take, not by any means the law!

Master
    Now live on the site:

https://ming.watch/collections/homep...cts/ming-27-01

Also slightly surprised there's no second strap offered.

Wow, sold out already. I do love the hands on Ming watches. Hopefully there will be a model larger than 38mm and I'll be able to try one.

Master
    Had one in the basket but then decided against it.

Really torn, love the design and even the colours, but at 3.3k£ it’s a bit too much for me at this point in time.

Too late to change my mind as it’s sold out anyways 😂

Master
    And the first 125 have sold out.

A good looking watch in my opinion. I can see that it isn't that much different from the previous lines but it certainly works.

I've ordered one to go along with my 1701 and 1901

All of Ming's watch dial constructions are far more complex than can be shown in photos and I fully expect it 'to shine' in real life (hodinkee will show live pics soon). And the reworking of the 7001 is simply superb. I for one cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Had one in the basket but then decided against it.

Really torn, love the design and even the colours, but at 3.3k£ it’s a bit too much for me at this point in time.

Too late to change my mind as it’s sold out anyways 
    Same with me.. adding import duties, it's just too much of a punt. Although they always seems to go well in the preowned market.

On the dial, these two image from the site sold me - the grooved/cut out markers and you can see the multi layered dial better.

And since we don't have a backside pic, here we go -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I've ordered one to go along with my 1701 and 1901

All of Ming's watch dial constructions are far more complex than can be shown in photos and I fully expect it 'to shine' in real life (hodinkee will show live pics soon). And the reworking of the 7001 is simply superb. I for one cannot wait!
    Always makes me smile when I see a pic of your 19.01 on the Friday thread. Love the concept behind the dial.

You may say I'm missing the whole point of his watches as it's a feature that really defines his brand, but the flared lugs just don't do it for me for whatever reason. I'm not wishing for something generic, but I was kind of hoping they might have been a bit less quirky.

Looks great but lugs and case details are remarkably similar to Michiel Holthinrichs's design.

Revolution video explains more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LjCE3YNJJw

Darn! Forgot about this. What a stunning watch. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Always makes me smile when I see a pic of your 19.01 on the Friday thread. Love the concept behind the dial.
    Agreed - crazyp's 19.01 is one of my favourite watches on this forum.

Craftsman
    Love the dimensions of this one but not sold on the logo at 3. The work on the movement is very impressive, it shows such depth in something so thin, Hodinkee write up is available here now https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mi...20-introducing
    Last edited by minskii; 4th May 2020 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post

You may say I'm missing the whole point of his watches as it's a feature that really defines his brand, but the flared lugs just don't do it for me for whatever reason. I'm not wishing for something generic, but I was kind of hoping they might have been a bit less quirky.
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Agreed - crazyp's 19.01 is one of my favourite watches on this forum.
    Thank you both. The 19.01 was I guess a bit of a gamble because of the cost, but it is definitely one of my most worn and loved watches!

On to the lugs - I guess non straight lugs have always been divisive. VC's cow horns and tear drop lugs being two great examples. And let's not start with integrated lugs! I guess it's part of Ming's design language and unlikely to change. On the wrist they're not as distracting as you might think. The 19.01 lugs are more sculptured and twisted which I think suits the dial aesthetics very well, probably a tad better than on the 17 series. The case work on the 27.01 seems a nice step up from the 17, probably much closer to the 1901 whose movement is far superior and finished better.

Worth trying one if you can find a Ming on the secondary market, value seems to hold well (or whenever their next batches are released).

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Looks great but lugs and case details are remarkably similar to Michiel Holthinrichs's design.

Revolution video explains more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LjCE3YNJJw
    Holthinrichs did not create hollowed/openworked lugs. Moser have been sculpturing lugs for a while along with the likes of Gronefeld and AP have been doing it with the Code 11.59. We'll see it more as more watchmaker look to different dimensions to express their designs, I also do not think they look similar. Also Ming's case is machined from a monobloc and Holthinrichs' is crafted through 3d printing - two completely different manufacturing philosophies.

...Holthinrichs did not create hollowed/openworked lugs...
    Indeed; and even Timex have got in on the act.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Indeed; and even Timex have got in on the act.
    I've been reading the review on W&W - https://wornandwound.com/review/revi...-s1-automatic/

Cases made through injection moulding. Quite smart and keeps the cost down. Overall not a bad effort actually, but 41mm...too big for me with a classical watch.

Everything about that watch is gorgeous.

Craftsman
    Wow, the detials on this watch are great. I'd love to see one in person before I bought.

Master
    Really nice but the price is too much for me to go for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wow, sold out already. I do love the hands on Ming watches. Hopefully there will be a model larger than 38mm and I'll be able to try one.
    Same here - very attractive watches, but would like an option at 40mm or just over

Apprentice
    Nice watch, but I don't think the dial and handset is very good looking.

I also think it's priced a bit too high. I think this watch selling out so fast is a great example of the hype and FOMO that's plaguing the watch community.

I only received my 17.06 Slate in March and haven't had the opportunity to wear it enough to justify buying another watch (from any brand) so soon, but after a few days of looking at pictures of the 27.01, I really do like it. Probably not enough to want to own both it and the 17.06, but enough that I'd gladly trade up in the future. I think the movement design is superb and I love the new hollowed lugs. Can't wait to see the first one land on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post

It is doing the rounds.

Scottish Watches Podcast #141
    http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/202...tches-episode/

From 7:40 - 11.00 mins

Holthernicks watches
    https://holthinrichswatches.com/watches/

Hands-on review just posted on Hodinkee - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ex...-2701-hands-on

I can't wait for mine

I love the Copper better, especially that it was a lot cheaper than this one. But there's a subtle charm to this new model, I get that.

Craftsman
    Ok so it might be my eyes, but in the Hodinkee article above, you can zoom right in on a pretty HD image of the movement through the case back, and I think I can see quite a few imperfections.

Master
    At least once a day you get to declare it's Ming O'Clock

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Ok so it might be my eyes, but in the Hodinkee article above, you can zoom right in on a pretty HD image of the movement through the case back, and I think I can see quite a few imperfections.
    It’s a prototype - the 1901 protos had oil spots on them and imperfections. I found no such issues when I received my watch so I’ll give Ming benefit of the doubt.

However I do not expect finishing to be as thorough as the 1901 with anglage etc. The 1901 really is as good as you can get with a machine only finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Very classy watch from Ming, I like how the design flows together

Question

Was this by chance designed by Ming Thein who was a member on here years ago?

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Was this by chance designed by Ming Thein who was a member on here years ago?

John
    The same

I admire the courage to design something so futuristic in this vintage-loving market. Not for me though.

If anyone is interested, a new batch of 27.01 to be released this month along with a variant, 27.02 which I guess will look similar to the one sold in the concept set that sold at auction. In theory that's a lot of watches you'd think would satisfy demand, but there are a lot of nutters out there who get FOMO.....

https://ming.watch/blogs/journal/min...ch-information

Craftsman
    Good luck to Ming .... looking at their website I feel a touch of hubris is arising.They are not doing a customer who buys a watch a favour .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Good luck to Ming .... looking at their website I feel a touch of hubris is arising.They are not doing a customer who buys a watch a favour .

What do you mean with your last statement?

I'll get the 27.2 and as a previous customer I think there is a batch available to us first?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

New Ming 27.01

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'll get the 27.2 and as a previous customer I think there is a batch available to us first?

That seems to be the case - I bet this initial batch will sell fast. I reckon almost half of buyers overall end up being repeat customer.

Since you’ve owned a 1901 and seen the 2702 from the concept set you’ll have a pretty good idea of what you’re getting! I’m intrigued what colour changes or variations we’ll see with the production version vs the concept watch.

To add - I don’t think Ming has gotten enough credit with the redesigned 7001 movement. It’s really well done.

Oh and a just because 2701 on the bracelet

Last edited by crazyp; 8th January 2021 at 19:53.

I can't quite see the effect of the dial in the 27.02 - are there any pointers at all for it given the prototype version really isn't particularly clearly photographed showing the effect? Is it likely similar to the 19.01?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

You should have already got an email about it, previous customers did.

Craftsman
    Case design and the SE movement is nice. The dial follows the Ming design language. I feel the price is reasonable for what you are getting but I think I will be bored with the watch in the longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I can't quite see the effect of the dial in the 27.02 - are there any pointers at all for it given the prototype version really isn't particularly clearly photographed showing the effect? Is it likely similar to the 19.01?
    Yea those pics don't show the best angles. So it's a sapphire 'dial' with a gradient colour like the 19.01. However the outer ring is actually a guilloche ring (not sure if engine turned or CNC) which sits under the sapphire. Combining two different finishes is certainly interesting. I think I prefer the simplicity of the 27.01, but it's a close call. But the extra work with the dial also costs a grand more. Here is the pic from their site -

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Case design and the SE movement is nice. The dial follows the Ming design language. I feel the price is reasonable for what you are getting but I think I will be bored with the watch in the longer term.

Quite a few have assumed the movement in this watch is from Schwarz Ettiene - SE have assembled the movement, BUT the entire reworking and design of the 7001 movement is all MING.

Not bored with my one - lots of interaction with light to keep the dial interesting. One of fundamentals with their watches.

Craftsman
    I meant the spiel about the last secretary leaving because of the insulting messages she had received and how anyone being insulting would be removed from the waiting list . I can’t think of any other private business that would be so overt . I think if customers are unhappy it reflects on business .

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    I meant the spiel about the last secretary leaving because of the insulting messages she had received and how anyone being insulting would be removed from the waiting list . I can’t think of any other private business that would be so overt . I think if customers are unhappy it reflects on business .

These are indiviuals sulking and abusing a poor lady who is doing emails and admin because they couldn't buy a watch. Let that sink in as to how sad that is. As a brand, they can sell to who they want to. If you're rude, why should they sell to you? Ming have always been so transparent in how they operate, so such frankness is unsurprising.

These are indiviuals sulking and abusing a poor lady who is doing emails and admin because they couldn't buy a watch. Let that sink in as to how sad that is. As a brand, they can sell to who they want to. If you're rude, why should they sell to you? Ming have always been so transparent in how they operate, so such frankness is unsurprising.
    Now that it's been mentioned, I was a bit surprised by that email as well to be fair. Think it was a misstep and did leave an impression on me that the brand was still immature.

By all means ban/block/ignore anyone being abusive, I fully support that. But my immediate thought was why email me about it? Not sure everybody that's ever expressed an interest in Ming needed a lecture to be honest

^Had the same feeling thb. Unnecessary email - young company though, so forgiven.

Master
    So the difference between .01 and .02 is the dial? I missed out on the 27.01 but was apparently put on a waiting list