closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Living with James Cameron

Master

Living with James Cameron

Not the man himself!
    I was watching a Titanic documentary with him in & his Deep Sea gets plenty of airtime
    It's growing on me but I can't help wondering what it'd be like as a daily wearer?
    I've got a big enough wrist for it but is it an easy watch to live with?
    Is the text around the chapter ring distracting?
    Thanks,

Master
    I love mine but for me it’s not a daily wearer, more of a ‘when I’m in the mood’ type of watch. Having said that I see no reason for it not to be, it’s just that sometimes I fancy something a bit more discreet.

Master
    I got my 116660 JC in 2015 and it was pretty much my daily until I found TZ in early 2017 and my collection went a bit mental.
    I never noticed the writing on the chapter ring when wearing, bit like the "Blancpain " on the side of a fifty fathoms. It is a chunky watch yes but I always found it comfortable, if not the easiest thing to slip under a shirt cuff.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Far too big and top heavy for a daily wear watch.IMO of course.

I own an 116660 DSSD and I would be perfectly happy to wear it every day. I find it very comfortable - I should say though that I wear it on a RubberB (in fact I don’t even own the original bracelet) so I can’t comment on the level of comfort on steel.

I don’t use it as a daily wearer simply because I own a lot of watches and like to change what I’m wearing every day - but if I dropped to the DSSD as my only watch it would be perfectly wearable.

All my watches are between 44mm and 46mm in diameter though, so I may not be your average responder...

Simon

Master
    Thanks for the replies. The Cameron is growing on me, I was thinking about the Sea Dweller 43 but the Cameron is muscling in...
    I have a good size wrist and routinely wear 41 or 42mm so moving up to 43 or 44mm would be ok.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The Cameron is growing on me, I was thinking about the Sea Dweller 43 but the Cameron is muscling in...
    I have a good size wrist and routinely wear 41 or 42mm so moving up to 43 or 44mm would be ok.
    I could easily wear my SD43 everyday and do indeed wear it more than anything else. For me it’s just about perfect and the ideal candidate for the only watch you’ll ever need

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Its my go to daily wearer. Love it and do not feel like I have to be precious with it.

Tried one on many, many times. I have enough wrist to wear it but the thickness of the watch combined with the original gas escape value ring making the dial appear smaller than it is really is off-putting (for me personally). That said it is the most overkill watch in their catalogue and not too different than buying a G-Wagon or R1200 GSA. I why anyone would want one. The clasp adjustment is also quite special.

I was recently offered both the D-Blue and the SD43 and went with the SD43. I'll collect when the shops reopen. The DSSD might wear completely different on rubber and I plan to mostly wear the incoming SD43 on a RubberB.

I’ve owned three deepseas including two Cameron’s. That dial is special and will make you smile every time you look down. I now miss my black deepsea too. They are very comfortable and easy to wear all day every day (from a 7.25 wrist)

Master
    The sd43 is also a great timepiece and for many would be better as a daily wearer.
    Like an earlier poster I have my 116660 on a rubber b and that changes the feel quite a bit, cannot explain why but it feels more compact to wear

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I’ve been wearing mine daily since we went into lockdown. That dial, as someone has already said makes me smile every single time I look at it. I adore it’s presence and weight. Even if occasionally when I need a hammer, I’m tempted to use my watch rather than walk to the garage . My favourite watch without a shadow of doubt

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I love the dial, so I bought this instead (and saved about £9.5k !).
    IMG_2071.JPG

Master
    P.S. Would still love a JC !

I’ve been wearing mine today by coincidence, I bought mine new in 2017 and have never had any problems wearing it especially since I removed the divers extension. For me it’s a very special Rolex, the dial is incredible - although I’ve noticed there doesn’t seem to be the love for it these days compared to so many of the other Rolex sports models.
    Of course it’s a big chunky watch but when you consider that it’s engineered to 5000m (I know it says 3900m on the dial) I think it’s incredible that it’s wearable at all.

Master
    I started out thinking it'd be nice to have an SD 43, now the Cameron is crowding the 43 out...

I started out thinking it'd be nice to have an SD 43, now the Cameron is crowding the 43 out...
    Based on the title of this thread your subconscious was already made up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Based on the title of this thread your subconscious was already made up
    Well it was... Then I saw that programme and began to think about the Cameron. It's the text round the chapter ring that bugs me...

Master
    Love my deep sea although sometime find that it can be a little big - depends on what I have been wearing before in the rotation.

Like Steve, I bought mine new in 2017, and can’t see myself selling despite being an incessant flipper.

The SD43 with a JC dial - that would be ideal! I have had two SD43s, and whilst they do wear very well, they are just like a big sub and I find them a bit boring.

Check out that dial in the sunlight...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Love my deep sea although sometime find that it can be a little big - depends on what I have been wearing before in the rotation.

Like Steve, I bought mine new in 2017, and can’t see myself selling despite being an incessant flipper.

The SD43 with a JC dial - that would be ideal! I have had two SD43s, and whilst they do wear very well, they are just like a big sub and I find them a bit boring.

Check out that dial in the sunlight...
    That looks awesome. How do you find the text round the chapter ring? In some shots it's really blatant & intrusive. In some others it seems overshadowed by the bezel & much less obvious.

Craftsman

My DSSD gets the most wrist time. It was my first SD, so has a lot of sentimental value to me. But i like them all for different reasons.

The JC is the newer model, bracelet is wider and overall sits much nicer on the wrist, oh did I mention the dial? Mmm

The SD43 is overall nearly the perfect size and that red lettering.

But the SD4K, is the watch i paid above retail. Took a long time for me to like it, and was often able to buy this at Heathrow tax free. By the time I decided to pull the trigger it was discontinued. Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That looks awesome. How do you find the text round the chapter ring? In some shots it's really blatant & intrusive. In some others it seems overshadowed by the bezel & much less obvious.
    It is noticeable, but not overbearing. In strong light, you see it more, but then you also see the colours on the dial.

But then I quite like it, so it is not an issue for me.

I’ve never noticed that writing around the dial. I know it’s there but it’s the last thing I notice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    It is noticeable, but not overbearing. In strong light, you see it more, but then you also see the colours on the dial.

But then I quite like it, so it is not an issue for me.
    You know when you like everything about a watch bar 1 thing, that thing is not, by itself, enough to be a deal breaker, you just need to adjust to it.
    I have wondered about the height of the case but it's only 50% more than a DJ41 & 2mm more than a SD 43 - that looked fine on me when I tried it, earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I’ve never noticed that writing around the dial. I know it’s there but it’s the last thing I notice.
    Exactly this, it seems to be more noticeable in pictures but when you own and wear the watch you barely notice it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Speedy, you seem quite hung up on the lettering but I would add to the chorus of those who actually own the watch and really don’t notice it...

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Speedy, you seem quite hung up on the lettering but I would add to the chorus of those who actually own the watch and really don’t notice it...

Simon
    I found it noticeable but I am reassured by the amount of owners, such as yourself, who don't notice it in everyday use. I've been looking at photos (obviously I can't get to see an actual piece currently) & again it is not so obvious in a lot of the shots. I might be overthinking it because I can't see a physical piece..

I found it noticeable but I am reassured by the amount of owners, such as yourself, who don't notice it in everyday use. I've been looking at photos (obviously I can't get to see an actual piece currently) & again it is not so obvious in a lot of the shots. I might be overthinking it because I can't see a physical piece..
    I think the problem is viewing images on line that make the case and dial look the size of a wall clock, so things like the lettering look more obvious. The watch in real life is of course much smaller, then put it on your wrist a fair distance from your eyes and those letters somehow don't look as big as they did before.

That's why real life wrist shots always look better than promo shots face on.

Master
    I'd agree that the lettering seems to scream out in photos but disappears in real life.

Master
    The lettering is no longer a concern! I'm reassured by the number of people who are owners and say it's not an issue, Wallasey Runner in particular makes a good point - a photo isn't always a good guide to how something will look in real life.
    New question for owners, how do you insure with? At present my most valuable piece is a DJ41 and it's on my house insurance as a marked item or whatever they call it.
    If I was lucky enough to get a Cameron, can you recommend a good insurer?
    Finally, servicing - logic says that as it contains a 3235, a Cameron should cost no more to service than a DJ41, but I bet that is not the case?
    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.