closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Valuations for 3 watches help

Valuations for 3 watches help

A friend has inherited these 3 watches from his late father.

He intends to keep one of them but has no idea of the likely value of any, so I'd appreciate some help on what would be a reasonable figure they'd achieve from a private buyer. He doesn't have anything showing the date of purchase, but there were all bought new from AD's.

Over to you, please!

1) Tag Heuer Monaco.

2) Omega Speedmaster.

3) Breitling.

Thanks.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

i'll have a go

tag £1850/1900
    Omega (doesn't look to have the warranty cards so £1900/£2k
    Breitling £2.5k ish

2k tag 2k speedy and depends what the weather is like for the breitling - they seem to sell fast or can’t be given away sometimes

I can only comment on the speedmaster and I would value it at £2500.
    eBay sold values will give you the best indication though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Approx £2k on that speedy. Think £2.5k is too rich. Not a clue on the rest of them.

The cheapest of that version of the TAG Heuer Monaco on Chrono24 in the UK is £1795 (dealer).

The cheapest Omega Speedmaster Professional on Chrono24 in the UK is £2950 (private sale).

The cheapest Breitling Cockpit Chrono on Chrono24 in the UK is £2150 (dealer).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My immediate thoughts were £1800 /£2000 / £2000. Looks like a lot of us are in the same ballpark for private sale values. They will obviously get nowhere near that it trying to sell to the trade.

When was the last time a boxed speedmaster pro in what looks like good condition sold for £2k or under?
    If your friend wants £2k for it tell him I’ll buy it.

Edit: the last watch the same as this sold for £1950 in sales corner. That’s me told. :)

The big box models seem to fetch more money.

Last edited by sandman; 30th April 2020 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    When was the last time a boxed speedmaster pro in what looks like good condition sold for £2k or under?

Edit: the last watch the same as this sold for £1950 in sales corner. That’s me told. :)

This - it's the big box that hikes the price up there.

They should apply the same principles as sports car manufacturers - the less they give you, the more you pay. The Speedmaster Superleggera (aka compact box version).

Master
    I think most of the valuations are about right to me. The Breitling I do not know really.

The Tag and Omega are both very popular watches.
    I would have thought if he was going to try to sell them then the Tag would go for around £1700 to £1850. The Speedmaster more, probably around £2000 to £2250.

It all depends how he tries to sell them. Traders will offer incredibly low prices for them. The prices i have suggested on what they will get on eBay. obviously he will have to pay 10% fees etc.

Thanks for all the replies, gents. I’ll collate the figures and pass them on.

The deceased gentleman was apparently quite a hoarder, having quite a collection of all sorts of stuff and of which most was never used. As an example, in his garage there was a number of vehicles which hadn’t been run since he bought them, including a Mini Moke, a Volvo PT21 and a ‘59 El Camino...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, gents. I’ll collate the figures and pass them on.

The deceased gentleman was apparently quite a hoarder, having quite a collection of all sorts of stuff and of which most was never used. As an example, in his garage there was a number of vehicles which hadn’t been run since he bought them, including a Mini Moke, a Volvo PT21 and a ‘59 El Camino...

R
    Only worth scrap. It'll cost me to get rid of them. Look, I'll do you a favour and pop round with my trailer in the morning, just to get them out of your way

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post

Spot on. That Speedmaster is much closer to 3k than 2k

The cheapest UK 42mm Speedmaster on Chrono24 is £2750. That is on leather and looks knackered.

May I suggest of anyone is asked to give advice they at least check the facts before doing so.
    Last edited by TAFKARM; 1st May 2020 at 11:05.

Cool

Keep the Speedmaster and the Mini Moke!
    No idea of values though.

Master
    So are these for sale or is he looking to insure them?

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post

The cheapest UK 42mm Speedmaster on Chrono24 is £2750. That is on leather and looks knackered.

May I suggest of anyone is asked to give advice they at least check the facts before doing so.
    Take your own advice and read - the OP is not a dealer on Chrono24 so will not achieve that price for a Speedy Pro in the small box. Big box entirely possibly, but not the variant being shown here.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Take your own advice and read - the OP is not a dealer on Chrono24 so will not achieve that price for a Speedy Pro in the small box. Big box entirely possibly, but not the variant being shown here.
    +1

Apples & Oranges

Sold listings on eBay a far better barometer for market value than the stupidly high prices on ch24. £3k for a speedy currently is a tad ambitious

I sold my 2016 big box with a fresh service, new hesalite and additional Seamaster clasp nine months ago here with a listing price £2,650 (can't remember sale price) and that was £150 more than the last one to sell. A service from Omega is £630 and the watch will more than likely need one. Prices haven't gone up like you think on these and there's no point telling OP's mate it's £3k only for him to find out £3k is from a bricks and mortar store for a big box version which doesn't need a service and no private sale is achieving that.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

The 2-2.2k region is about right, its the trade and private sale price, give or take a few hundred depending on age/condition.
    Chrono24 is hugely inflated, not least because private sellers get charged a 6.5% fee and dealers pay an eye watering monthly subscription with a final sales fee percentage on top of that.
    Plus its a 3570.50.00, which moves the ch24 price down to 2.3-2.5k before fee deduction

Realistically, their value ranges from 850 (what the trade will buy a decade old 3750 for) and 3500 (what people think their 6 month old 311.30 is worth)
    2-2.2 is achievable middle ground for a private sale depending on age, ref, and condition IMO.

Ed - I bought a 2008 b/p 3750 for my dad in November. Loads of swirlies on the bracelet, clasp, and hesalite but the head was good. I paid 1800.
    Last edited by verv; 1st May 2020 at 12:52.

Master

Gosh, what an aggressive reply! I sold a 42mm speedmaster for £2600 that had the large brief case and all the trimmings. You may see stuff on Chrono24 at high prices, but they do not go for that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That Speedy would struggle to get much above £2000 on a private forum. Watchfinder back in January would offer between £1600-£1775. Need proof...see here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?464159-Speedmaster-3570-50-value

Plus, that one had warranty cards and was being offered whilst we weren’t in the grip of economic catastrophe, so it wouldn’t surprise me if WF offered lower these days.

The value of a watch should definitely not be judged on what chrono24 unsold examples are listed at.

To quote some good advice, may I suggest if you are asked to give advice, you at least check the facts before doing so.

Master
    Anyone who values either their own collection or a piece they are looking to buy using Chrono24 pipe dream asking prices is going to get a rude awakening when they try to resell. Usually even the cheapest example of a model on there is 10-20% more expensive then the typical forum or ebay sale price and it is perfectly normal to make offers when buying on there. C24 is a hive of dealers and Walter Mitty dealers, you may well see recent Speedies being offered for £3K on there, trying to achieve that figure in a private sale is a very different matter...
    Last edited by Padders; 1st May 2020 at 12:43.

Tag = £1750
    Omega = £2250
    Brietling =£2000

So about £6k for the lot. iMHO

The 59 El Camino would be worth quite a bit depending on condition and completeness simply because it was the first year they were made. Rare bird.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

If you average all of the values suggested here (ignoring any joke submissions) I'll bet that you are pretty close to an accurate estimate.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Tag = £1750
    Omega = £2250
    Brietling =£2000

So about £6k for the lot. iMHO

The 59 El Camino would be worth quite a bit depending on condition and completeness simply because it was the first year they were made. Rare bird.
    Those figures match my gathered estimates. I've asked for some photos of the car purely for my own interest but with permission I'll post them up here.

R

Craftsman
    Not sure on the values other than the Speedmaster. I reckon approx £2200. If I was going to keep one though as your friend is, I’d choose the Speedmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    So are these for sale or is he looking to insure them?
    Insurance value is the immediate need, as I said he intends to choose one to keep and to sell the other two.

R

Master
    If they are insurance value you might as well look for what the value of them new is, which is likely to be a fair bit higher than i earlier suggested. I agree with others the speedmaster is the one to keep.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd love to see pictures of the Volvo. Did you mean TP21?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I'd love to see pictures of the Volvo. Did you mean TP21?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    My apologies, it is indeed a TP21: I'll see if I can obtain some photos of that too.

As an update, the decision has been made to keep the Speedmaster and let the other two go.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My apologies, it is indeed a TP21: I'll see if I can obtain some photos of that too.

As an update, the decision has been made to keep the Speedmaster and let the other two go.

R
    I was going to say "I hope you're advising him to keep the Speedmaster" but it seems that sensible decision has already been made.

^^^ I was asked which one would I keep and I told him it would be the Omega, but I did emphasise that it had to be his decision.

R

Master
    I think the speedy is the pick of that bunch myself, with the Breitling second and the Tag a distant third.

If that Speedmaster hit SC at £2200 I’m confident it would sell reasonably quickly, it would also probably sell at £2350 pre CV but might hang around for a while, his range on that watch is about 2200-2300..

Journeyman
    Sell them all and buy an Invicta

Seriously though, if I was him, I would keep the Speedy and sell the other two.