closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zenith Chronomaster El Primero A384 Shadow

Zenith Chronomaster El Primero A384 Shadow

A stealthy , monochromatic grey edition of the A384 in matte titanium .

https://monochrome-watches.com/zenit...ands-on-price/

Last edited by Tazmo61; 30th April 2020 at 13:30.

Blog Entries
    I like that...

Would be the ideal partner to this...

z

Looks butch, but only 37mm. I like it.

Why isn't there a side profile pic? All watch reviews should include a side profile.

i like it, i reckon it wears bigger than its 37mm and those fellas like me that are blessed with girl sized wrists it's nice to see some manufacturers resisting the temptation to try and produce something that isn't the size of a dinner plate

One of these watches is on my radar for certain. I love the design and the execution

It’s nice ......

But that flat straight line/edge to the top and bottom of the case bothers me, almost like it’s unfinished

Did they make the running seconds sundial hand too long on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Did they make the running seconds sundial hand too long on purpose?
    Haha I cant unsee this now!

Like this, not as much as the Edge of Space tho’.

50m WR is just garbage. The standard steel is 100m and make it less good as an everyone day watch that go can use for holidays etc

Blog Entries
    I really like this. Along with the revival A384 and the limited edition Mr Porter /Bamford collaboration they are releasing some really nice stuff.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely but almost 7k is too much for me

Master
    I’m loving everything about this except the price! 

I’m sure I’ve seen a similar case shape used by other brands, but for the life of me can’t recall them at the moment. Can anyone help?

One of my biggest horological regrets is not owning a Zenith because all the ones I like have the wonky date window...
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    One of my biggest horological regrets is not owning a Zenith because all the ones I like have the wonky date window...
    The beauty of having really shitty eyesight is not worrying about such trivial and small things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post

I’m sure I’ve seen a similar case shape used by other brands, but for the life of me can’t recall them at the moment. Can anyone help?
    It reminded me of the PRS40 at first glance

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    That’s what it was / it’s been bugging me - cheers

Master
    That was my first thought too but I don't think it's the only one. I'm thinking it might be a Citizen or Casio (Edifice?) perhaps....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post
    A stealthy , monochromatic grey edition of the A384 in matte titanium .

https://monochrome-watches.com/zenit...ands-on-price/

Good looking watch that, it looks like it would be very comfortable.

Omega SHOM?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quietly View Post
    Omega SHOM?

Sadly not although the SHOM is pretty handsome too! Manchester Watch Works released a chronograph with a similar case shape but not quite the same. I wonder if it’s just other Zenith’s that I’ve seen of the same shape that I’ve confused in my mind?...

Master
    The more I look at this the more I like it. Neutral colour palette, so as with the classic Speedy Pro I reckon it would take a variety of straps. Retro and futuristic at the same time. Plus I’m a sucker for a Ti watch. Hmm...

Sadly not although the SHOM is pretty handsome too! Manchester Watch Works released a chronograph with a similar case shape but not quite the same. I wonder if it’s just other Zenith’s that I’ve seen of the same shape that I’ve confused in my mind?...
    It's not one of these is it? Very similar shape actually now I compare them.

I really like the watch but it's a bit out of my range to be honest, and that second hand is a bit distracting. I'm also not a fan of those straps with the contrasting stitch on the corners.

Master
    It's not one of these is it? Very similar shape actually now I compare them.

I really like the watch but it's a bit out of my range to be honest, and that second hand is a bit distracting. I'm also not a fan of those straps with the contrasting stitch on the corners.
    Hmmm could be, although I’m sure whatever watch I’m thinking of in my head had more angled lugs like the Zenith. That’s what probably stuck in my mind as I like them on watches like the Seiko diver that has similar (and the GS quartz that does too). But it’s definitely a chrono that I’m picturing through a hazy recollection

I might have to spend a bit of time over the bank holiday weekend trawling through Citizen and Casio watch listings to see if I can find what I’m thinking of!

Yes the Zenith is well out of my price range too, unless my Euromillions numbers come up tomorrow! I quite like the quirkiness of the second hand personally too.

As gcleminson mentioned, it’s got a similar neutral palate feel to it as the Speedy but looks like it’s very readable, which are all reasons I like it. The fact it’s Ti and a dark case too help!

Hmmm could be, although I’m sure whatever watch I’m thinking of in my head had more angled lugs like the Zenith. That’s what probably stuck in my mind as I like them on watches like the Seiko diver that has similar (and the GS quartz that does too). But it’s definitely a chrono that I’m picturing through a hazy recollection

I might have to spend a bit of time over the bank holiday weekend trawling through Citizen and Casio watch listings to see if I can find what I’m thinking of!

Yes the Zenith is well out of my price range too, unless my Euromillions numbers come up tomorrow! I quite like the quirkiness of the second hand personally too.

As gcleminson mentioned, it’s got a similar neutral palate feel to it as the Speedy but looks like it’s very readable, which are all reasons I like it. The fact it’s Ti and a dark case too help!
    Frustrating when you can’t think isn’t it! I had to get up one night and google what Rice Crispies were called because I couldn’t remember the name.

I’m normally into traditional shaped cases but I really like shapes like the zenith, as long as the case has visible lugs, for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Frustrating when you can’t think isn’t it! I had to get up one night and google what Rice Crispies were called because I couldn’t remember the name.

I’m normally into traditional shaped cases but I really like shapes like the zenith, as long as the case has visible lugs, for some reason.

Master
    I really like some of the recent Zenith releases, it is great to see the continuing development of this brand. I love this new piece and the A384 revival with strap, so when funds allow it's going to be an agonising choice.

Hoping someone posts some wrist shots on here soon.

Ian

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 is very similar.

Craftsman

Price

Have to agree, stand out piece and very similar to the Omega Mk2 Speedmaster but were that is priced at £4.5k, this Zenith is I believe nearly hitting £7k!

Similar and probably substantially cheaper, not as dark a pallette though, maybe time to break out the Humbrol.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    The Zenith has a pretty cool chunkyness about it, you would probably not want it too much bigger than 37mm. Has a great 70s vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Similar and probably substantially cheaper, not as dark a pallette though, maybe time to break out the Humbrol.

Have I missed the boat on these or are they still in the prototype stage?

Master

Holly mother of god..

This is great. Is this made or is it prototype?

Master

Haha, that's embarrassingly happened to me too. This weekend the missus and I couldn't for the life of us remember what the A5 notebooks we used to all use in school we called - came to my wife on waking the next morning so the first thing I hear from her is a random exclamation of "Exercise books!!"

I'm quite a fan of hooded lugs, or at least lugs that don't have a big gap between the case and end of a strap. The old later generation Heuer Autavia's (and other Heuer models too from the 70's and maybe(?) 80s) are great for that IMO, plus have a lovely shape in general.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 is very similar.
    I don't think I've seen that model before. Very nice! Reminds me of some of the Omega's from (presumably) the same era.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Have to agree, stand out piece and very similar to the Omega Mk2 Speedmaster but were that is priced at £4.5k, this Zenith is I believe nearly hitting £7k!
    Yeah, not that I can afford either at present (and realistically both are outside my 'comfort zone' anyway) but I do like both. I think the Zenith would win out if I could afford either based on the titanium and dark colour, plus the angular lugs I think I slightly prefer. Although the MK2 Speedy dial and hands are slightly ahead for legibility and aesthetics!

I forgot entirely about the PRS-40 chronograph! Maybe a more affordable option/alternative!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by quietly View Post
    Omega SHOM?

I need to stop coming on here everytime I do there's another watch I want to buy. Was just thinking this morning all I need is a speedmaster and I'd be content with my collection. Now I've spotted this. That needs revision.

That’s really cool

The more I look at this the more I like it. Neutral colour palette, so as with the classic Speedy Pro I reckon it would take a variety of straps. Retro and futuristic at the same time. Plus I’m a sucker for a Ti watch. Hmm...

Such a stealthy reverse panda. I wish the WR was a bit higher.

I agree on the WR rating. That and the case material and finish don't make it all that practical to wear either IMHO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I agree on the WR rating. That and the case material and finish don't make it all that practical to wear either IMHO.
    Practical in what sense? I’ve never heard the Sinn EZM-1 for example described as an impractical watch, and that’s bead-blasted Ti.

Practical in what sense? I’ve never heard the Sinn EZM-1 for example described as an impractical watch, and that’s bead-blasted Ti.
    The Sinn is a tool watch as it has a Tegiment treated case (so much less chance of getting marked up) and a high WR rating. As such, you can't compare that against this Zenith. They are two completely different watches. If I was going to wear a watch on a daily basis, my last choice would be this particular Zenith.

I love the Zenith brand. I own several El Primero's but all are WR rated to 100 meters, in steel, have a more practical case design and finish, and are therefore far more practical to wear.
    Last edited by j111dja; 5th May 2020 at 23:25.

The Sinn is a tool watch as it has a Tegiment treated case (so much less chance of getting marked up) and a high WR rating. As such, you can't compare that against this Zenith. They are two completely different watches. If I was going to wear a watch on a daily basis, my last choice would be this particular Zenith.

I love the Zenith brand. I own several El Primero's but all are WR rated to 100 meters, in steel, have a more practical case design and finish, and are therefore far more practical to wear.
    FYI. The original EZM-1 is not tegimented. Only the reissued EZM 1.1 is tegimented steel.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Have to smile at this.

I own a 1999 Zenith El Primero, 38mm case, classic silvered dial. Its one I restored for someone and eventually ended up owning. It’s a very elegant watch but its not easy to read, the dials a bit fussy and the hands are slim. Despite its shortcomings I love it and the wonky date never bothered me. It’s a watch that usually gets favourable comments from watch fans, a certain Eddie Platts liked it when he saw it (praise from the highest authority!), so when I met up with Kirk280 for one of our GTGs I expected a positive response. As a fellow northerner his comment was blunt and to the point: ‘don’t like it mate, the date’s all wrong’.........I sat there and supped my beer whilst trying to compose a response then decided to keep supping, there really was no answer!

Date at 6, or date at 12 would work better, but the Zenith El Primero movement is such a thing of beauty I can forgive these watches their minor shortcomings. Even though I struggle to read mine with my ageing eyesight I still love it. I have the option of swapping the dial and hands for an alternative black dial/ lumed hands choice (LVMH are happy to supply me with parts) but at a cool £400 I’ll continue to squint!

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    FYI. The original EZM-1 is not tegimented. Only the reissued EZM 1.1 is tegimented steel.

I owned an EZM-1. I stand corrected.

This Zenith is a great looking watch but it is obviously not a tool watch with its WR rating and a titanium, bead blasted case with flat edges.
    Last edited by j111dja; 6th May 2020 at 09:54.

I think it'll look great when it gets a bit beaten up.

I think it'll look great when it gets a bit beaten up.
    I am sure it will if you like that kind of look.

How would Zenith refinish the case via a future service? An expensive process or a replacement case perhaps? I know how much a replacement steel Zenith EP case costs. A bead blasted titanium case ain't going to be cheap whether replaced or refinished. As such, I'll stick with the watch being impractical to wear on a daily basis. I don't understand why Zenith gave it a water resistance rating of only 50m as it deserves better.
    Last edited by j111dja; 6th May 2020 at 10:15.

Master

I was responding specifically to your comment about the case material / finish not being practical. Obviously they're very different watches - that wasn't my point. I chose the EZM-1 as an example as it has similarly angular lugs, but there are plenty of other 'practical' titanium bead-blasted watches - some of which have become icons of robustness and practicality. If that material & finish are good enough for issued watches I can't see how you can argue it's impractical as a material.

Agree 100m WR would have been better.

I was responding specifically to your comment about the case material / finish not being practical. Obviously they're very different watches - that wasn't my point. I chose the EZM-1 as an example as it has similarly angular lugs, but there are plenty of other 'practical' titanium bead-blasted watches - some of which have become icons of robustness and practicality. If that material & finish are good enough for issued watches I can't see how you can argue it's impractical as a material.

Agree 100m WR would have been better.
    My comments were solely based on water resistance and a bead blasted titanium case. Refinishing the case in the future was my concern especially as Zenith cases are typically softer when compared to other high end brands. That's just based on my experience with ownership and case refinishing.

Master
    Hodinkee have posted a hands-on review now: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...hadow-hands-on

I’ve not yet taken the time to read it so I wonder if it’ll change my opinion on this being in my fantasy ‘lottery win watch purchasing’ list?...

**Edit** Alas it doesn’t actually tell you much more (if anything) about the watch that the launch write-ups said. It does however give a short bit of history on the movement which was relatively interesting, and links to a Movado from the 70s, which I found actually to be a more interesting article (and another lovely looking watch!)
    Last edited by andy100; 8th May 2020 at 10:04.

Blog Entries

Do you mean Gérald Genta design ?

Closest I have is this (not a Genta but similar):

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th June 2020 at 19:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Do you mean Gérald Genta design ?

Closest I have is this (not a Genta but similar):

No not a Genta design. I’ve given up on trying to remember now to be honest. It’ll be one of those things I stumble upon at an unexpected time I’m sure!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I like that...

Would be the ideal partner to this...

z
    Much prefer yours - I'm not sure I like the finish on the Shadow, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Have to smile at this.

I own a 1999 Zenith El Primero, 38mm case, classic silvered dial. Its one I restored for someone and eventually ended up owning. It’s a very elegant watch but its not easy to read, the dials a bit fussy and the hands are slim. Despite its shortcomings I love it and the wonky date never bothered me. It’s a watch that usually gets favourable comments from watch fans, a certain Eddie Platts liked it when he saw it (praise from the highest authority!), so when I met up with Kirk280 for one of our GTGs I expected a positive response. As a fellow northerner his comment was blunt and to the point: ‘don’t like it mate, the date’s all wrong’.........I sat there and supped my beer whilst trying to compose a response then decided to keep supping, there really was no answer!

Date at 6, or date at 12 would work better, but the Zenith El Primero movement is such a thing of beauty I can forgive these watches their minor shortcomings. Even though I struggle to read mine with my ageing eyesight I still love it. I have the option of swapping the dial and hands for an alternative black dial/ lumed hands choice (LVMH are happy to supply me with parts) but at a cool £400 I’ll continue to squint!
    The wonky date is the first thing I see. It's otherwise such a lovely dial but throws the whole thing off balance, just because someone insisted on having a date window. For decades Rolex has sold an ND Sub alongside the one with a date, if only other companies had thought to do the same. And it's still not too late for Zenith. At least they do some lovely watches with the date at 6, which is for me the best place if a watch must have one.
    "A man of little significance"