closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Have an Owl

Master

Have an Owl

A grumpy Little one.

I promise I was alone and sufficiently socially distanced from this little fellow, and I was out for well under an hour.

Great things Owls, a while since I posted a pic, brought a smile to my face anyway.

Little Owl by iaintookey, on Flickr

He’s looking at you like you are a twit (twoo).

Lovely photo.

Stunning!

Lucky You.

Lovely

Master
    Great picture.... looks like he is posing

Thanks for sharing

Mike

Blog Entries
    Great picture! Owls are fascinating creatures.

Fantastic picture Iain and one that would definitely bring a smile to my face too had I taken it. I have owls nesting somewhere near me that I hear in the early hours, never actually seen them yet though.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Fantastic.

We've a few around these parts and wondered if you had any tips for capturing a photo? Is there a time of day as I only hear them at dusk and into the evening?

When I was alive we had a "pet" Little Owl. It was injured and couldn't fly, but they do more walking than most birds anyway. He found a way of ascending to the electricity meter cupboard, newly installed in our remote Cornish cottage, and took up residence there for a few years. It was in a porch, so we just left the door ajar and he seemed to be able to exit at times of his own choosing and must have been able to forage successfully on foot, as he never went short of food. The lanes outside were alive with all sorts of small animals and insects.
    He was very aggressive with anyone entering the porch, which led to interesting confrontations with the meter reader, who had to contend with an aggressive Little Owl and a meter obscured with owl shit.
    One day he just wasn't there any more. No sign of him. We suspect either a fox or one of the feral farm cats from up the road. Or tempus fugit of course.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely pic!

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    When I was alive ...
    My condolences. :-)

Love a nice owl, the proud civic symbol of my home town :)

Craftsman
    Great picture and lovely to see them, dont see too many around

Craftsman
    First class pic of a cheeky chappy

Nice image but I'm more interested in the lens you used? Looks like a nice long prime L or equivalent?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    He’s looking at you like you are a twit (twoo).

Lovely photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Stunning!
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Lucky You.

Lovely
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Great picture.... looks like he is posing

Thanks for sharing

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Great picture! Owls are fascinating creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Fantastic picture Iain and one that would definitely bring a smile to my face too had I taken it. I have owls nesting somewhere near me that I hear in the early hours, never actually seen them yet though.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thank you chaps, I wasn’t expecting such a response!

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon View Post
    Fantastic.

We've a few around these parts and wondered if you had any tips for capturing a photo? Is there a time of day as I only hear them at dusk and into the evening?
    Best owls to find out and about during the day are the Little and Short Eared Owls, both active usually. I see a lot of Barn Owls and particularly when they’ve got young to feed you’ll see them out hunting well after sunrise and before sunset.

The Tawny’s are a bit more elusive, they are rally nocturnal, but they can sometimes be found dozing near their holes, although I’ve not found one yet!

When I was alive we had a "pet" Little Owl. It was injured and couldn't fly, but they do more walking than most birds anyway. He found a way of ascending to the electricity meter cupboard, newly installed in our remote Cornish cottage, and took up residence there for a few years. It was in a porch, so we just left the door ajar and he seemed to be able to exit at times of his own choosing and must have been able to forage successfully on foot, as he never went short of food. The lanes outside were alive with all sorts of small animals and insects.
    He was very aggressive with anyone entering the porch, which led to interesting confrontations with the meter reader, who had to contend with an aggressive Little Owl and a meter obscured with owl shit.
    One day he just wasn't there any more. No sign of him. We suspect either a fox or one of the feral farm cats from up the road. Or tempus fugit of course.
    Fantastic! I’d just love that at our place. I’ve erected an owl box at the bottom of the garden, but only the jackdaws have shown an interest at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Lovely pic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    Great picture and lovely to see them, dont see too many around
    Quote Originally Posted by 964boy View Post
    First class pic of a cheeky chappy
    Thanks again, very kind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Nice image but I'm more interested in the lens you used? Looks like a nice long prime L or equivalent?
    Lens used was a Sony 200-600 f/5.6-6.3, 571mm at f/6.3. On a crop sensor camera (A6100) so 857mm equivalent.

It helped that the background was a fair way back from the fence post it was perched on, nicely blurred the background.

Ha! reminds me of when I was in uniform investigating a burglary. Had to squeeze down this narrow access. Shone my torch up at a window and all of a sudden, 'Whoosh', this owl dived straight for my head with quite a jolt and surprise! I think the glint of my torch must have angered it! 😮

That Lens looks. cracker have you compared it to any Canon lenses i have the 100-400 and thinking about a change

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Wow, what a shot!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    That Lens looks. cracker have you compared it to any Canon lenses i have the 100-400 and thinking about a change

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I owned a Canon 400 f/5.6 prime back in the day, and I seem to remember that was a very sharp and contrasty lens.

I am pleased with the Sony 200-600 the couple of months I’ve owned it, it replaced a Sony 100-400. The 200-600 is a bit heavier, and bigger, but it’s got the reach, doesn’t extend/retract changing the focal length, and the lens stabilisation is very good even on a non stabilised body like the little A6100.

That's a fabulous shot and really demonstrates what can be achieved with a relatively modest camera body if you've invested in the right lens for the job and have a good eye. I'm very impressed.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Out of interest, have you seen an owl without feathers?

One of the ugliest things on the planet is a newly-hatched owl chick (present company excepted of course).
    It constantly amazes me how they turn into one of the most beautiful birds.