closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone bought legal looking show registration plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    btw what’s your credentials seeing as you know soo much about ant-terrorism, law enforcement and all things number plate related which includes specific data regarding this particular thread?
    No specific knowledge of number plates, but most of my working life has been spent in senior security roles with large organisations. Much of that has been liaising with law enforcement and responding to their requests for information, so I have a pretty good knowledge of how both law enforcement and criminals work.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I would have thought it extremely unlikely that there are more than a hand full of private people who can make up "show plates" at home that would pass for a legal plates
    I have to disagree. There's nothing magical about a legal number plate - it's just a bit of reflective plastic with some numbers and letters stuck to it (and conforming to rules about font and spacing). Any 10-year old could make one.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    No specific knowledge of number plates, but most of my working life has been spent in senior security roles with large organisations. Much of that has been liaising with law enforcement and responding to their requests for information, so I have a pretty good knowledge of how both law enforcement and criminals work.

I have to disagree. There's nothing magical about a legal number plate - it's just a bit of reflective plastic with some numbers and letters stuck to it (and conforming to rules about font and spacing). Any 10-year old could make one.
    The discussion is about the ability to purchase legal looking plates under the guise of show plates and how easy it is for those plates to be used for cloning purposes. You only need look at a few websites such as the AA and auto express where you’ll find they apportion the blame to mainly onsite sellers who trade in show plates.
    It’s not rocket science to think I can order a set plates with hardly any paper trail from a seller in Scotland who’ll deliver them to my door the next day.
    If you’re suggesting of course that the police and necessary law enforcements have the ability to trace those plates back to a specific person or maker then yeh I’m sure they’d probably make their own. We all know that the police would go to all that bother for someone who was doing it to get around car tax and insurance 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Sounds like a real nightmare. Did you ever get the chance to review the pics of the other bike, and if so how close was it in comparison with yours?
    Indeed I did, they sent a photo along with the court summons. After reviewing it I repiied pointing out that the rider had different helmet on to the one I possessed and different clothing to mine. Also that there was a pillion on the back and I hadn't had a pillion with me in years and that there appeared to be a different exhaust on than the one I had (but that was difficult to see with certainty). I also pointed out that I was prepared to go under oath in court to state: it wasn't me, my bike was garaged on the day inquestion and that my wife would also attend and confirm that under oath.

Their response to that was 'see you in court'.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Make your own...

Yours for £695 ebay

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Make your own...

Yours for £695 ebay

Bloody Chinese, I presume

You can never stop illegal plates from being imported into the country. Many of the "show plates" already come from Jersey. So making it harder for GB-based sellers to sell plates without seeing the appropriate documents wouldn't solve the problem. It would also be just about impossible to enforce, given the very low cost of the equipment required for a plate maker to set up in business. At best you'd slightly inconvenience the small-time/one-off cloners (the big boys will, as I've said, be making their own plates anyway).

To really stop cloning would need a much more radical approach - either a completely new way to identify vehicles (e.g. one where each vehicle gets a different plate every year - possibly tied to payment of an annual vehicle tax) or lots of random police checks where they compare registration mark with VIN (with all the costs, inconvenience, and civil liberty issues, which that would entail) or a major change in technology.

In reality, cloning is a relatively low frequency crime, and the cost/pain is spread across a large number of people, so it's unlikely that anything will be done about it in the short or medium term.

Bloody Chinese, I presume
    Why would you presume that, given that both Oki (who make the printer) and Toshiba (who make the laptop) are Japanese?

Master
    Why would you presume that, given that both Oki (who make the printer) and Toshiba (who make the laptop) are Japanese?
    maybe with your vast knowledge you can tell me if the Laptop and printer are included for £695

They are

What’s in The Package

· Refurbished Laptop
    · New Eco Range Printer Modified to Print Number Plates
    · New Jig Alignment Roller for standard oblong and square Number Plates.
    · Record Keeping File

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Number-Pl...cAAOSwGwlaR7-Q
    Last edited by BillN; 30th April 2020 at 14:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Make your own...

Yours for £695 ebay
    You can’t buy that from eBay.... The police will trace you according to someone on here🤪🤡

You can never stop illegal plates from being imported into the country. Many of the "show plates" already come from Jersey. So making it harder for GB-based sellers to sell plates without seeing the appropriate documents wouldn't solve the problem. It would also be just about impossible to enforce, given the very low cost of the equipment required for a plate maker to set up in business. At best you'd slightly inconvenience the small-time/one-off cloners (the big boys will, as I've said, be making their own plates anyway).

To really stop cloning would need a much more radical approach - either a completely new way to identify vehicles (e.g. one where each vehicle gets a different plate every year - possibly tied to payment of an annual vehicle tax) or lots of random police checks where they compare registration mark with VIN (with all the costs, inconvenience, and civil liberty issues, which that would entail) or a major change in technology.

In reality, cloning is a relatively low frequency crime, and the cost/pain is spread across a large number of people, so it's unlikely that anything will be done about it in the short or medium term.
    6500 cases reported to the DVLA between 18-19 and Some organisations think that’s just the top of the iceberg. 3 clear cases on here already been highlighted out of a small community. Cutting off an easy route and tightening the rules for making them can only be a good thing.

Not easy for anyone to buy that printing system, even from eBay.

maybe with your vast knowledge you can tell me if the Laptop and printer are included for £695
    And maybe you could spend a little bit of time learning how to search for things on eBay, rather than spouting your obnoxious racist crap on here?

(And yes, both the laptop and printer are included).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post

A friend of a friend of a friend once got screwed out of a business (I don’t remember the details) so he hired a car of the exact spec and colour as the other guy, had a matching plate made up and commenced driving past as many speed cameras as he could, at license loss speeds, for the weekend of the hire. No idea of the outcome of that, but must have made life difficult for a while.
    I think your friend of a friend of a friend nicked that idea straight out of the book Is Harry On The Boat.

Master
    And maybe you could spend a little bit of time learning how to search for things on eBay, rather than spouting your obnoxious racist crap on here?

(And yes, both the laptop and printer are included).
    "racist crap".............you need professional help ....... you are obviously mentally disturbed

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not easy for anyone to buy that printing system, even from eBay.
    indeed, that system is, or at least was intended for the motor trade. My old JLR dealer used that set up and were unable to make a plate without the v5 info etc inputted. That info was stored on the data base and could be checked at any time by the DVLA.

**You must be RNPS registered to buy this equipment. Your delivery address must match your address registered with the DVLA. If we are unable to verify that you are registered with the DVLA as a number plate supplier the sale will not complete and your money will be refunded. The refund process can take up to 14 working days. We can guide you through registration if required just contact us for more information.**
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 30th April 2020 at 15:07.

Master
    Had these done in 4D laser cut form this week. but not exactly "legal

"racist crap".............you need professional help ....... you are obviously mentally disturbed
    If you can't understand why your comment of "Bloody Chinese, I presume" is racist, then you are the one who is badly in need of assistance. It's utterly unacceptable to utter such unfounded prejudice in a public forum (or, indeed, anywhere else).

You might also want to find out, at the same time, why claiming that somebody you have never met is "obviously mentally disturbed" is also totally unacceptable. Unless, of course, you have appropriate psychiatric qualifications which enable you to make such a diagnosis, and which you'd care to share with us?

If you can't understand why your comment of "Bloody Chinese, I presume" is racist, then you are the one who is badly in need of assistance. It's utterly unacceptable to utter such unfounded prejudice in a public forum (or, indeed, anywhere else).

You might also want to find out, at the same time, why claiming that somebody you have never met is "obviously mentally disturbed" is also totally unacceptable. Unless, of course, you have appropriate psychiatric qualifications which enable you to make such a diagnosis, and which you'd care to share with us?
    Thats rich coming from someone who’s had the audacity to call me franky four brain cells...glass houses and all that! If you want to chuck stones expect some coming back the other way

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Registration plate suppliers use standard sized plates, i.e. the size that accommodates the latest format of letters/numbers, which merans that if your registration consists of a lesser numer of characters then you end up with a physically larger plate than necessary.

R
    Not always easy to convince the average PC Plod that there is no legality around the size of a number plate.

I have a 5 digit plate (that includes an I) and they didn't like my shortened plates

Master

you are really disturbed

Master
    Well this escalated quickly, take a chill pill and enjoy a humourous numberplate

Master
    Hurrrayyyyyy.... 62 posts before racist was mentioned... Now we just need Nazi, snowflake, bigot and troll for the full set....

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Hurrrayyyyyy.... 62 posts before racist was mentioned... Now we just need Nazi, snowflake, bigot and troll for the full set....
    And the obligatory "ROLEX" !!!

Hurrrayyyyyy.... 62 posts before racist was mentioned.
    And your point being?

A blatantly racist comment was made. It needs to be called out. Unless you are happy with racist comments on the forum?

Master
    And your point being?

A blatantly racist comment was made. It needs to be called out. Unless you are happy with racist comments on the forum?
    Sorry, I don’t argue with hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Not always easy to convince the average PC Plod that there is no legality around the size of a number plate.

I have a 5 digit plate (that includes an I) and they didn't like my shortened plates
    I have two five digit plates, both have been shortened to the minimum legal sizing and I've never had a problem with police or MOT testers. Same on my motorbikes, thinking about it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Sorry, I don’t argue with hypocrites.
    Who's arguing? I asked you a simple question, which you didn't answer, so I must assume that you condone (and possibly even support) racist behaviour. How very sad.

Who's arguing? I asked you a simple question, which you didn't answer, so I must assume that you condone (and possibly even support) racist behaviour. How very sad.
    why do you deem it ok to insult me yet don’t like it back?

why do you deem it ok to insult me yet don’t like it back?
    I am not Chinese so was not personally insulted by BillN's racist remarks - just disappointed to see such blatant comments expressed on a public forum.

Yes, calling you "Frankie Four Brain Cells" was a cheap shot - but hopefully slightly humorous/witty - whereas in my book saying that someone is "obviously mentally disturbed" and "you are really disturbed" are not the sort of comments that any decent human being would use. Then again, BillN has shown himself to be far from a decent human being, as has his sidekick Enoch.

Master
    Yeah yeah everyone’s a racist. You can assume what you like.. it doesn’t make your assumption correct, except in your own head.

And if you’re going to go around calling people racist, you’d better have some evidence to back it up, or if you’re wise retract the accusation
    Last edited by Enoch; 30th April 2020 at 17:12.

Anyone bought legal looking show registration plates?

Are blue lettered numberplates legal. Or just reserved for really special people.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I am not Chinese so was not personally insulted by BillN's racist remarks - just disappointed to see such blatant comments expressed on a public forum.

Yes, calling you "Frankie Four Brain Cells" was a cheap shot - but hopefully slightly humorous/witty - whereas in my book saying that someone is "obviously mentally disturbed" and "you are really disturbed" are not the sort of comments that any decent human being would use. Then again, BillN has shown himself to be far from a decent human being, as has his sidekick Enoch.
    I am a racist am I for using the words "Bloody Chinese" - you are bloody mad, just get real - most of the stuff on ebay comes from China and their record for copying products made by the rest of the world is well known

You obviously feel a strange need to stand out from the rest by emphasising your postings by using the colour blue ...........??

And if you’re going to go around calling people racist, you’d better have some evidence to back it up, or if you’re wise retract the accusation
    BillN has made a blatantly racist remark. That makes him a racist. The evidence is there for anybody to see.

You have refused to condemn that statement, which suggests to me that you are condoning racist behaviour. If that's incorrect, you have ample opportunity to refute it. Your call...

I am a racist am I for using the words "Bloody Chinese"
    Yes, in the context, you are.

Master
    Yes, in the context, you are.
    do you tint your hair and paint your nails blue?

Some people need a chill pill. Let’s put it down to being cooped up in lockdown

I’ve had a very quiet day homeworking and have just poured myself a decent slug of Glenlivet 18. Highly recommended.....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

BillN has made a blatantly racist remark. That makes him a racist. The evidence is there for anybody to see.

You have refused to condemn that statement, which suggests to me that you are condoning racist behaviour. If that's incorrect, you have ample opportunity to refute it. Your call...
    I didn’t see his comment as racist either, I guess by your definition that makes me a racist. I’m fairly certain not many on here that have followed this car crash since you spooged your load over it saw it as racist.

Master

I don’t need to agree or refute anything, I’ve not made any comment whatsoever regarding the Chinese, or any other race.

Your incorrect assumption that I’m a racist is just that, incorrect and frankly offensive. Therefore you’ll go on ignore with all the other idiots, and I’ll have nothing more to do with you.

I didn’t see his comment as racist either, I guess by your definition that makes me a racist.
    Yup, it does.

Imagine if the comment had been "Bloody jews" or "Bloody Irish" or ... - would you still be supporting him?

How do you think that any Chinese members on here or (given that this is a public part of the forum) who find it through a search will feel about the remark?

I’m just waiting for the pseudo-intellectual duo of:

“Veblen”
    ”Schadenfreude”

I’ll check in case someone has thrown it in later................

Yup, it does.

Imagine if the comment had been "Bloody jews" or "Bloody Irish" or ... - would you still be supporting him?

How do you think that any Chinese members on here or (given that this is a public part of the forum) who find it through a search will feel about the remark?
    I don’t know, perhaps let’s leave that one open to the Chinese members on here? I understand you’re suffering from some kind of faux disgust from the comments but it would appear you’re on your own. Good way of diverting away from the subject though. I guess this time you couldn't find the data and information you needed to back up your opinion like you did on that other thread a while back. I’m also guessing thats the reason why you initially responded to me like you did.
    A little bit of bum hurt still hey Phil

And your point being?

I reckon he was referring to the ‘Country’ selling copies of everything and flooding markets with cheap product.

But - if you are determined to view everything with a view to shouting “I think that could be construed to be racist!” - then fire ahead.............

What if he had said “Bloody Germans! Stealing all the sunloungers!” ?

But - Keep digging.

Master
    So...
    Those number plates then?

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    So...
    Those number plates then?
    Well in in conclusion, I’ve found out that you can obtain with very little difficulty, legal looking plates without the need of handing over any documentation.
    In my opinion the laws regarding show plates should match the same requirements as normal plates. I know this won’t fully address the issue but it would be a step in the right direction in preventing some of the 6500 plus cloning cases we have each year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I have two five digit plates, both have been shortened to the minimum legal sizing and I've never had a problem with police or MOT testers. Same on my motorbikes, thinking about it.

R
    You’ve had more luck than me Ralphy, I’ve had 2 mot advisories for “number plate” and whilst it doesn’t fail the car, it’s a little annoying. I tried to argue the case on one occasion, but I was conscious that they’d been lenient enough on the test (it was a 25 yo Land Rover) so I just mumbled as I left.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    You’ve had more luck than me Ralphy, I’ve had 2 mot advisories for “number plate” and whilst it doesn’t fail the car, it’s a little annoying. I tried to argue the case on one occasion, but I was conscious that they’d been lenient enough on the test (it was a 25 yo Land Rover) so I just mumbled as I left.
    When I first started reducing the size of my plates to the bare minimum I kept a copy of the regs in the glove box and they remained there unneeded.

This one was on the front for 5 years/48k miles.

(This being the 'standard' size).

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 30th April 2020 at 20:08.

Master
    This was mine, sadly the LR is no longer with me

Master
    I have a sticky back plastic one on the mustang. Gets mentioned at every MOT, but never had a problem.. it’s clearly readable, and correctly spaced.

Blog Entries
    I’ve just bought a plate from the DVLA and then ordered plates online without any need for documentation, legal size font etc just slightly smaller plate as it’s less digits.

Yes it’s illegally spaced before the forum police jump in, who cares!!

Sadly not legally spaced but hey.