Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed 1pm™

So I sent back my £6k Breitling Hurricane

So it was collected Monday
    Was in Swindon on Tuesday
    Left Swindon on Tuesday
    Arrived Southampton on Tuesday
    Departed Southampton on Tuesday
    Arrived back in Swindon on Wednesday!

So we are 3 days in to my next day guaranteed delivery and it's back where it bloody well started!

I sent a watch out last week. Printed the postage slip off on line and it said on RM website that due to cv-19 they can't guarantee next day delivery. When I dropped it off at the post office the lady behind the counter also told me it might not get there by 1pm the next day.
    As it happened, it did arrive the next morning but I think in these times we need to allow a bit of flexibility.

*sorry, just reread your post. So the watch is now back with you? That's a ball ache.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    I sent a watch out last week. Printed the postage slip off on line and it said on RM website that due to cv-19 they can't guarantee next day delivery. When I dropped it off at the post office the lady behind the counter also told me it might not get there by 1pm the next day.
    As it happened, it did arrive the next morning but I think in these times we need to allow a bit of flexibility.

*sorry, just reread your post. So the watch is now back with you? That's a ball ache.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Not back at my door but back at the sorting office that shipped it out 3 days earlier!

Claim your postage refund given RM have not met their guarantee.

I hope you’ve arranged extra insurance to cover that watch!

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I hope you’ve arranged extra insurance to cover that watch!
    And attached a return address.

I sent one special delivery to northen Ireland on a Monday morning.

Arrive on Thursday.

Was a nightmare trying to ask Royal Mail what was happening, they left me in the dark and the seller screaming at me.

Took ages to get a refund and they sent me a stupid cheque that I had to take to a bank, pay parking and waste half an hour of my time.

Took a full week to clear.

They are useless

Master
    I’ve sent a couple of things out RMSD including one for Saturday delivery, they all turned up on time- I think I remember reading that they are allowing an extra day due to the current climate. Hopefully fully insured....

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You cannot, the guarantee has been suspended. I have sent two watches in recent weeks, both times I was told it will get there tomorrow but the 13:00 guarantee is suspended. In both cases the watches arrived before 13:00. Clearly they are just covering themselves during the current crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

Arrive on Thursday.

Was a nightmare trying to ask Royal Mail what was happening, they left me in the dark and the seller screaming at me.

Took ages to get a refund and they sent me a stupid cheque that I had to take to a bank, pay parking and waste half an hour of my time.

They are useless
    Was this recently, during the current covid-19 crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You cannot, the guarantee has been suspended. I have sent two watches in recent weeks, both times I was told it will get there tomorrow but the 13:00 guarantee is suspended. In both cases the watches arrived before 13:00. Clearly they are just covering themselves during the current crisis.
    The guarantee hasn't been suspended, but the 'delivered by' time has changed so the by 9:00 a.m. service is now guaranteed by 12:00 p.m., and the by 1:00 p.m. is now guaranteed by 9:00 p.m. - both still next working day.

Master

Arrive on Thursday.

I think you might have been a bit harsh on yourself...

Craftsman
    I had the same, but it’s turned up now. They refunded the cost but arrived 5 days late.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sent a couple since this started, both arrived next day. They make mistakes at the best of times, and we are far from the best of times.

Master
    So is the delivery my issue, is the insurance my issue if the retailer paid and emailed me the label?
    All I had to do was print it, stick it on and send it.

Grand Master
    They’re not promising next day at the moment, under current circumstances people should be grateful the service is still operating. Even then, I wouldn’t do this unless there had been a major cock-up.

I use RMSD a lot, I must’ve sent over 300 items over the past few years and I’ve only had one problem, that was a 1 day delay at Christmas.

I receive a lot too, sometimes the clarity of the addressing leaves much to be desired, and I never cease to be amazed that folks don’t write their return details clearly.

Before I post an item I always check the delivery address on Google maps. I always use the RMSD grey plastic envelopes too, they’re free from the post offices. This ensures the Special Delivery status is obvious.

Only criticism I have is the £2500 insured limit, I wish it was higher.

I think the Post Office workers are part of the 'front line' and as such should be allowed some slack at this time. According to our post, if the sorting office workers abided by the two metre rule when they're at work then most post wouldn't get delivered within anywhere near the usual timeframes.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Agreed, one of my RMSD's was late and the PO was very quick with a refund by cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    They’re not promising next day at the moment...
    They are, but by later times in the day:

Blog Entries

Arrive on Thursday.

They are useless
    That is cynically deliberate as they know full well that most people will not be arsed to travel to their bank and pay in their miserable RM refund cheque!

Remember folks, a lot of banks are capable of accepting a cheque via their online App.
    Just scan it at home, in the comfort of your favourite chair.
    It’s so easy, even I have managed it

Grand Master
    There's no pleasing some folks. You get your refund and you still moan because its a cheque.

In my experience RMSD is head and shoulders above other delivery services. No system is perfect, there will always be the odd one that arrives late.

Some people seem to have a real downer on Royal Mail and love to moan about them.....maybe they just love moaning in general.

Our local Royal Mail staff are excellent, the local sorting office are always helpful, the Postman (and Postlady) really go the extra mile, there are times when I`m out and miss delivery, but they'll come back a second time and try to deliver , they really do try.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 29th April 2020 at 14:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think you might have been a bit harsh on yourself...
    I often shout at myself in a dark room.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Remember folks, a lot of banks are capable of accepting a cheque via their online App.
    I never knew that. Don't remember seeing that function on my M&S Bank app. Will drop them a message. I do have a cheque sitting here.

Master
    A day late I'd let it go. 2 days hmmm. 3 days, no way, not for typically a tenner an item.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post

Left Swindon on Tuesday

So we are 3 days in to my next day guaranteed delivery and it's back where it bloody well started!
    I presume it’s not covered as it’s over the £25k limit?
    Is it being delivered to somewhere in the SO area?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post

I was just thinking that - I am wondering the last time I went to a bank... em...er...

Master
    Yes, going to SO24
    So went Newbury - Swindon - Southampton - Swindon so far.

On a happier note I had a parcel sent to me from Florida this week by fedex. Collected in Boca Raton Monday lunchtime and arrived at my door in Leicester this morning before 9am!

I was amazed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    On a happier note I had a parcel sent to me from Florida this week by fedex. Collected in Boca Raton Monday lunchtime and arrived at my door in Leicester this morning before 9am!

I was amazed.
    That beggars belief!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thomas Reid
    I've had to order quite a few things, and delivery is unpredictable. For example, something I ordered 3 weeks ago just showed up (2nd class). Some overnight delivery shows up the next day, some has taken 3 or 4 days. Indeed, I don't even think that my street is getting a daily visit from the postal delivery person. If this is the worst that happens to infrastructure, well, it is understandable, and I can cope.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I have always posted cheques to the bank. Saves time and effort. I will have to see if Santander allows cheque scanning.

Craftsman
    Also keep in mind the recipient is not asked to sign for deliveries currently.The Postie does it and witness the recipient pick it off the doorstep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I have always posted cheques to the bank. Saves time and effort. I will have to see if Santander allows cheque scanning.
    Both Santander and HSBC do trough their mobile apps. Works great on mobile, not so great on iPad

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post

I was amazed.
    FedEx and UPS seem to have portals. They're almost always superb (though you do pay for it!).

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Both Santander and HSBC do trough their mobile apps. Works great on mobile, not so great on iPad
    Barclays do also, used it a couple of weeks ago to pay in a cheque that was a refund from Royal Mail by coincidence. An excellent facility especially now.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Barclays do also, used it a couple of weeks ago to pay in a cheque that was a refund from Royal Mail by coincidence. An excellent facility especially now.

Hi

Halifax app does too....used it today !

Best Neil

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Hi

Halifax app does too....used it today !

Best Neil
    My Dad had to use the Halifax one yesterday, bit of a mare trying to walk him through it over the phone, especially as I don't have the Halifax app, but we got there eventually. Cheers and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Also keep in mind the recipient is not asked to sign for deliveries currently.The Postie does it and witness the recipient pick it off the doorstep.
    My postie said that RMSD has to go back to sorting office.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Very useful. Thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My postman as usual goes out of his way to provide us with a good friendly service.

Hes on the front line (I know he has his own worries) with more mail to deliver than at Christmas and less staff.

I will not complain when any of my mail is late,I find it hard to believe anyone one would in these times.

Left Swindon on Tuesday

Swindon Mail centre @ Dorcan has been under-performing abysmally for weeks.
    It took them a week to move one package 100 yards to their delivery office !!

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 29th April 2020 at 17:48.

Journeyman
    I've posted this elsewhere before but it still doesn't seem well known.

The £2.5k limit is irrelevant for an item worth over this amount. You don't need top up/additional insurance, you need it for the entire amount. In fact you shouldn't use RMSD at all for a £6k item. It is a prohibited item over £2.5k.

That said I know of a watch repairer who has used RMSD for donkeys years without issue, but if the above info saves one expensive mishap it will have been worth posting.

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/roya...ions_dec18.pdf

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post

The £2.5k limit is irrelevant for an item worth over this amount. You don't need top up/additional insurance, you need it for the entire amount. In fact you shouldn't use RMSD at all for a £6k item. It is a prohibited item over £2.5k.

That said I know of a watch repairer who has used RMSD for donkeys years without issue, but if the above info saves one expensive mishap it will have been worth posting.

No, you're wrong. In that this is well known.

In fact you shouldn't use RMSD at all for a £6k item. It is a prohibited item over £2.5k.
    Prohibited in this case means that they don't accept any financial responsibilty for the loss of the item, whereas insurers such as Infosure will cover the full cost of the item should it not be subsequently delivered.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

This is all very well, but when I request a return and the jeweller sends me RMSD Label to print and attach, whose fault is it if the £6k item goes missing? Me for sending or them for giving me the label to stick on the watch?

This is all very well, but when I request a return and the jeweller sends me RMSD Label to print and attach, whose fault is it if the £6k item goes missing? Me for sending or them for giving me the label to stick on the watch?
    You are, for not covering the potential loss by adding insurance.

R

Master
    This is why I hate posting anything of value. I don’t think I’d ever buy an expensive watch online unless I’m sure 99%sure I’d keep it. Too much risk and as a result stress sending it back. Packages go missing, package arrives with no watch, watch rejected after inspection etc

In the current situation I wouldn’t post anything over a few hundred quid. All my sympathies to the RM, I’m just impressed there doing what they’re doing. It’s expected there’s more risk of parcels being delayed and lost.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Prohibited in this case means that they don't accept any financial responsibilty for the loss of the item, whereas insurers such as Infosure will cover the full cost of the item should it not be subsequently delivered.

R
    The T&C's don't read that way to me, might do some further investigating as I would certainly like to know for sure one way or the other. Will of course post if I learn more.

The T&C's don't read that way to me, might do some further investigating as I would certainly like to know for sure one way or the other. Will of course post if I learn more.
    Not sure how you can read the following any other way. :

Prohibitions, Restrictions and Undeliverable Items. There are certain dangerous and hazardous goods which are unsuitable for conveyance by us and are therefore prohibited. Items worth more than £2500 are also prohibited.

and then in the legal terms and conditions:

4.3 You must not post any package under this agreement which contains any item whose value is more than £2,500 or if the contents are prohibited under the scheme. If you do post such items in breach of this clause, then you must indemnify us against all costs incurred and all claims made against us resulting from such a breach.

It's worse than people think - in an an event of someone trying to go after Royal Mail, you have agreed to be liable for any costs they incur...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 30th April 2020 at 08:54.

Master
    Burrells are using RM for everything, we have all seen the prices of the Breitlings, Tudors, Chopard and Zeniths in their recent sale.
    If anything over £2500 is prohibited, surely they would know that and choose another carrier.
    I am not saying that the £2500 limit is in doubt, it looks pretty black and white to me in the Ts &Cs, but surely the big ADs must know of this?

Burrells are using RM for everything, we have all seen the prices of the Breitlings, Tudors, Chopard and Zeniths in their recent sale.
    If anything over £2500 is prohibited, surely they would know that and choose another carrier.
    I am not saying that the £2500 limit is in doubt, it looks pretty black and white to me in the Ts &Cs, but surely the big ADs must know of this?
    They chance it - virtually all of the time it will arrive of no problem. That or they have seperate insurance.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 30th April 2020 at 08:58.