closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dyson vs shark ?

Craftsman

Dyson vs shark ?

We need a new cordless hoover and have always had dyson, upright then the v6 total clean. The v6 is struggling with the battery now and have took the opportunity to have alook at other brands

Does anyone use a shark cordless that could give some real world feedback? I was looking at the newest one IZ251. Anyone made the switch ? Seems price wise there is no comparison but hows the performance?

We just went from Dyson to Gtech got an upright and handheld for the same money very good and the upright is much easier to use

surely some man maths there, if you have already bought the Dyson just buy a new battery.

Saying that I think the Dysons are rubbish, unless you strip, clean and wash the filters every time you use the things.

We use a corded Shark which is very impressive, the build quality is excellent.
    The cordless one you've suggested looks great, 80min run time, 5yr gtee, 2yr on the battery.
    After using the cord one I'd certainly check out the cordless one in the future.
    My money would go on a Shark.

Master
    We have both a corded and cordless shark and everyone who uses them prefers the cordless (although the corded does indeed have better suction it's just not an issue).
    My inlaws have a Dyson cordless and they love it also but I've never had much luck with the dysons I've owned.

We looked at all the online reviews and decided Shark was the way to go and haven't regretted it.

Edited to add - on the back of our experience we also bought the shark kitchen hand held mini vac, which is also brilliant albeit a bit pricey.

Master
    £62 for a new battery

Neither, they are both rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Neither, they are both rubbish
    So what would you recommend instead?

The dyson is a nightmare.

We have no pet house that gets a proper clean with another vacuum, the V6 fluffy is just there for the odd bit of mess and the stairs.

It isn't fit for purpose. Needs stripping down every other use. It works for about a minute then turns off and on which is the sign to clean it, but you don't know which bit, so you do the whole thing. Then repeat.

Hate, hate, hate it.

The wife wants another as I installed the wall hanger and she wants to reuse it.

shark are rubbish, my sister had to send her epensive one back many times for repair.

dyson are good in my experience but get one with 2 year warranty and try and buy extended warranty if available because they do get faults.

older dysons like the DC07 Origin are the best because you can repair them yourself and buy clone motors for £12 that you can fit yourself.

new ones they have made incredibly hard or impossible / expensive to repair yourself

Grand Master
    Have the shark cordless one that transforms into a hundred different variants, once you master how to turn it into the variant you want and back again it's great, battery is 50 minutes, so pretty much stick it on charge after every hoover to be honest, it's a pain if you forget to do this then run out of charge halfway through doing the hoovering.

It's nice and easy to use though, glides through stuff and well made, we've also had it a month and it's not been away for warranty, so that's a point over a dyson!

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    So what would you recommend instead?
    Miele.

When I worked for a major charity we had loads of (broken) Sharks and Dysons donated.
    no one ever donated a Miele cleaner.

Master
    I hope the Dyson ventilators for the NHS are more reliable than their vacuum cleaners.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    £62 for a new battery
    Try Amazon they do aftermarket battery's with bigger capacity (run time.). Got one recently for a V8.

Blog Entries
    Been there and tried a variety of cordless cleaners and in all honesty a good quality corded one beats them all IMO we have an upstairs and downstairs Sebo and they just do the job.
    Having said that the kids have the Shark and are very pleased with it after the Dyson clapped out and i personally prefer anything cordless over corded anytime if the results are equal .
    Last edited by mart broad; 29th April 2020 at 12:49.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Dyson V8 for the downstairs (wood/amtico flooring) and stairway - and it has been faultless for 6 months so far.
    Shark corded for carpets upstairs, or anything heavy duty.
    Shark seems good kit, well built. Easy to empty and clean. Replacement filters (there are 3) are cheap on Amazon (was hoovering a lot of brick dust/plastering and sanding bits etc.) and can be washed.

Dyson is mega practical, easy to clean and seems effective. Run-time is crap on full power, 15 mins maybe, but can just do all of downstairs floors if I don’t arse about and will do 30mins or so on lower power mode.

Miele - next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Dyson V8, no problems here, very good bit of kit with excellent performance.
    The lower models do suffer from lack of battery life vs power, V8, 10 & 11 different league.
    Still shocking how much it pulls out of the carpets, even though they look fine, works really well on picking up dog hair.

Go for the shark, I’ve found it way better than the dyson, only use it for occasional spills and a quick car clean and it’s a lot better.

- - - Updated - - -

Go for the shark, I’ve found it way better than the dyson, only use it for occasional spills and a quick car clean and it’s a lot better.

Master
    we had the same choice in November and went for the Dyson V10. it is amazing. so much better than the previous handheld dyson we had (v6) it vacuums so much than we would ever had expected.

the shark small dust bin put us off, and the fact that it is not much cheaper.....

v10 was expensive but in my eyes, money well spent.

We also went from a V6 and a corded Dyson to just a V10 to coincide with having Karndean through most of the house. The V10 is much better than the V6 and happy with it. However can’t say I properly tried the Shark out so cant really compare.

Got the Dyson in an offer direct from Dyson themselves, also keep an eye on their Ebay shop for refurbished items at a reasonable discount. Needed the total clean version to get the fluffy rolller for the hard floors, if you don’t need that you can get the cheaper animal version. Would have gone for the V11 but it was so much more than the V10 at the time and not that much of an improvement for our main use on hard floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Miele.

When I worked for a major charity we had loads of (broken) Sharks and Dysons donated.
    no one ever donated a Miele cleaner.
    I worked for a small charity and had a similar experience: lots of busted Dysons.

Have a Shark cordless, it has been fine with some light use but now keeps switching off. Sigh. We have a Miele Cats and Dogs which has been great, heavy use for years. Has been repaired by the local repair shop a few times but is still going strong.

Master
    OP - We have had Dysons for years at our house and I had similar problems recently with my V6 and considered going over to shark when I borrowed a friends I thought it was brilliant.

However I called Dyson to tel them of my troubles and they too suggested a new battery and sent me one as a gesture of goodwill it took about 5 minutes to replace the old one and its now as good as new so I would certainly consider that before going down the replacement route.

BUT if you do swop then Id go for a shark personally

You answered your own question. Get a Hoover. Dysons are crap and a Hoover is about 1/3rd the price.

In answer to no one in particular, I would contend that Dyson aren't crap, but they may not be quite as good as their reputation, marketing and pricing would have you believe. They do have inovative design features though. Aren't all the handheld cordless vacuum designs 'influenced' by an original Dyson model? Similarly with cyclone dust collection? Integrated tools?

As for my personal opinion of crap, I have never had a decent Vax product.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    I worked for a small charity and had a similar experience: lots of busted Dysons.
    Very generous of people to donate broken vacuum’s!

Craftsman
    Not my domain

The wife uses a dyson :)

As a;ready said, Dyson's are great but they need you to strip and clean them regularly. My wife has long hair and it needs a weekly de-hair it would seem. The filters also bung up easily.

It doesn't take much to clean though and they seem to pick up more than the average hoover. You just need to be prepared to look after them. My air compressor and the blow attachment is brilliant for cleaning the filters. Then you just take out the spinning bar and cut the hair off with scissors. Takes about 20 mins max.

Master
    I bought a cordless Shark and it was awful. Gave it back after a few days. Kept clogging up and wasn't near as good as advertised. I'd go with Dyson even though the initial outlay is higher. My V6 is going strong 5 years later (with one replacement head).

Quote Originally Posted by tomp View Post
    As a;ready said, Dyson's are great but they need you to strip and clean them regularly. My wife has long hair and it needs a weekly de-hair it would seem. The filters also bung up easily.

It doesn't take much to clean though and they seem to pick up more than the average hoover. You just need to be prepared to look after them. My air compressor and the blow attachment is brilliant for cleaning the filters. Then you just take out the spinning bar and cut the hair off with scissors. Takes about 20 mins max.
    This is broadly my experience. But the (at least) weekly maintenance is too much for me. Never had it on any other vacuum and resent it on this.

Master
    Replacement and longer run time batteries,
    Might be useful for anyone who’s battery has gone.

https://batteryshopsussex.co.uk/?utm...44615181650413