closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinn U50

There is nothing inherently more expensive about the U50 size compared to the U1, it is not miniaturisation or any new tech, just a smaller version, with, if anything, looser tolerances because the WR is lower.
    Sure there is R&D, but that is a company overhead, not one that is usually apportioned to new models. If it were so, one might see prices fall over time, and we do not see that.

Like all ranges, one should see coherent trends between the models and the ranges. There is no coherent step between these models.

Compare the U1 and U50 to the U2.

U2 is €2470, €300 more than the U50 and €570 more than the U1.

So give or take a few Euros that is the same increase over the U50 that the U50 is over the U1.

But over both models the U2 offers the addition of GMT, Cold Resistance and the Ar de-huumidifying system with inert fill and CuSO4 capsule.
    Plus another 100 Bar WR on top of the U1, making 200.

That is a price hike justified. I just think the U50 fails to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I see the SW200 to SW300 movement change, but that is not an added cost is it, it is just a slimmer movement
    If you trouble to look at retail prices, the SW300 is usually 40-50% more expensive than the SW200; that difference is likely reflected in wholesale prices as well; the rest is pure "Because we can".

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    If you trouble to look at retail prices, the SW300 is usually 40-50% more expensive than the SW200; that difference is likely reflected in wholesale prices as well; the rest is pure "Because we can".
    I did, admittedly only on Ebay, which has Swiss SW200s for £127, and SW300s for £165 - £30 is not much difference at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Because we can seems to be the reason! But even Omega didn't charge more for the mid-sized Seamasters. Here a smaller watch with less WR costs...more. So yeah, "because we can" is it I think.

I did, admittedly only on Ebay, which has Swiss SW200s for £127, and SW300s for £165 - £30 is not much difference at all.
    Fair enough, but most authorised retailers are more like 150 vs 250 of any given currency - can't find a wholesale price list, unsurprisingly.

Thing is too that it's a fools errand estimating retail prices by component costs alone - you have to factor in all R&D, manufacturing, overhead and marketing costs, and those have changed in the ~15 or so years that the U1 has existed.

I also suspect the price differential won't persist for long, with the U1 being inflated to the same ballpark before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Because we can seems to be the reason! But even Omega didn't charge more for the mid-sized Seamasters. Here a smaller watch with less WR costs...more. So yeah, "because we can" is it I think.
    For sure it's a part of it - this thing's gonnna sell: lot of sparrow-wrists out there judging by SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Well, I’ve ordered one.

Found a hands on review on YouTube. Gave me a chance to scrub up on my German (alternatively subtitles available!). Anyway looks great to me.

https://youtu.be/f9cZ6o2dFZ8
    Great stuff. Please post pics once it lands :-) The more I look at these the more I want one. Did you go for it on bracelet? Tegiment case upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Great stuff. Please post pics once it lands :-) The more I look at these the more I want one. Did you go for it on bracelet? Tegiment case upgrade?
    Yeah. I went for an SDR on Bracelet and went the Tegiment too. I have emailed Sinn Separately to see if I can purchase the other bezel, see what happens. May as well go all out, it will definitely be a keeper.

Photos when it lands. :)

Yeah. I went for an SDR on Bracelet and went the Tegiment too. I have emailed Sinn Separately to see if I can purchase the other bezel, see what happens. May as well go all out, it will definitely be a keeper.

Great choice but all three look fab. I even like the U50s on the red rubber! Be interesting to see if Sinn sell you the other bezel. Looking forward to pics

- - - Updated - - -

Great choice but all three look fab. I even like the U50s on the red rubber! Be interesting to see if Sinn sell you the other bezel. Looking forward to pics!

Nice watch congrats to those who have bought them
    Got my eye on the wacky 756 duochronograph 11 next!

As I said on the U1 thread, a size reduction on the U2 and UX wouldn't go amiss either. They would sell. Alternatively, offer the U50 with choices of hands - the U1 hands aren't to everyone's taste

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    As I said on the U1 thread, a size reduction on the U2 and UX wouldn't go amiss either. They would sell. Alternatively, offer the U50 with choices of hands - the U1 hands aren't to everyone's taste
    Put some UX hands on it and you have a winner. Love everything about the U50 but still don't know if I could deal with the Lego if I bought one.

I've placed an order for a U50 on the bracelet. Always loved the U1 but the size prevented me from buying one given I've a 6.5" wrist. I like the blocky hands, basically this will be "my U1" so to speak. I personally believe that these will sell very well and may open up Sinn's eyes to further smaller scaled watches.

I also agree that this watch would look fantastic with the UX style sword hands. Given Sinn have gone and developed the new case, it would be relatively easy for them to offer different models based off this. For example, if a GMT movement will fit in that slim case then create a smaller U2 - U52?. Or perhaps fit a HAQ movement with scaled down UX dial and hands (ditch the oil) - U50X? Of course this will also draw criticism from certain people, touting Sinn as "cheaping out" or "milking it for all it's worth".

It's also hard to see them not offering other variants of the U50 further down the road as with the U1, like a blue dialed U50B, vintage lumed U50 S E, 10 o'clock crown models, etc.

I’m about to do the same in reverse, also tegimented and with a request for the rubber strap too. Like you I think going all in the best bet.

I decided after I made the online payment for my standard U50 that if I'm going to get one then I also may as well go all in. I emailed them on Thursday if I could upgrade and pay the extra for the fully tegimented case. Still awaiting a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post
    I decided after I made the online payment for my standard U50 that if I'm going to get one then I also may as well go all in. I emailed them on Thursday if I could upgrade and pay the extra for the fully tegimented case. Still awaiting a reply.
    Yep. Good decision there.

Yep. Good decision there.
    Does the tegimented really help that much (especially with the bracelet)?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'm not sure that the tegiment option includes the bracelet? Think it's just the case?

My experience with U1 in the last and multiple Sinn models, yes it does. I remember my U1 looking like brand new after 3 years of wear. If it’s a keeper, do it! :)

Aaah ok, for the price just the head makes sense. Clearly does seem a worthwhile option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm not sure that the tegiment option includes the bracelet? Think it's just the case?
    I agree, my reading is it's the case.

Master
    Crazp ( not the bracelet but the watch bezel) if you go back to page 1 Of this thread, and look at the video Gavbaz linked, then fast fwd to 1 min 40 you will see a guy trying to scratch the tegimented surface with a steel pick.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know why Sinn only use top grade movements rather than opting for chronometer grade? For the money being charged, it would be nice to get a COSC certificate with the watch.

Another great review here. Nice to see them all in real life, next to each other and next to a U1!

Only problem for me is I now prefer the steel!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inihCjcB-14

Another great review here. Nice to see them all in real life, next to each other and next to a U1!
    A bit of moisturiser would do wonders. Great to see a decent real life video so early but those hands are quite distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A bit of moisturiser would do wonders. Great to see a decent real life video so early but those hands are quite distracting.
    Indeed. He even apologises in the video.

Gavbaz - I agree all steel is the winner for me.

I recently purchased a 5-year-old U1, and the bracelet is as unmarked as the bezel - I don't know if the bracelet is Tegimented, but they are certainly hard-wearing - perhaps it's the bead-blasting, as that alone can be used to harden steel.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    As a matter of interest, does anyone know why Sinn only use top grade movements rather than opting for chronometer grade? For the money being charged, it would be nice to get a COSC certificate with the watch.
    Again, don't know, but I believe they offer chronometer grade movements in some of their watches as extra-cost options. Were I buying new, I'd be enquiring if such is available.

non-Tegiment Sinn clasps mark fairly easily, and Tegiment can easily be determined form whether it has the arrow-in-a-circle Tegiment symbol on.

D

non-Tegiment Sinn clasps mark fairly easily, and Tegiment can easily be determined form whether it has the arrow-in-a-circle Tegiment symbol on.

D
    So bracelets can be Tegimented? I didn't see an option to Tegiment the bracelet on the u50?

So bracelets can be Tegimented? I didn't see an option to Tegiment the bracelet on the u50?
    Yes, well at least they always were an option, for bracelets and clasps (on rubber straps) as well as the cases themselves. Not on all models, but for many.
    You can see pictured of tegiment bracelet clasps all over the interweb, but I see no option for it on the Sinn U1 section (and I know U1 bracelets have been bought tegimented before) and no option in the bracelet section either.
    So how you go about it I am not sure

Yes, well at least they always were an option, for bracelets and clasps (on rubber straps) as well as the cases themselves. Not on all models, but for many.
    You can see pictured of tegiment bracelet clasps all over the interweb, but I see no option for it on the Sinn U1 section (and I know U1 bracelets have been bought tegimented before) and no option in the bracelet section either.
    So how you go about it I am not sure
    Thanks. Unless I'm missing something I can't find any option to tegiment the bracelet on the U50 either. Just as well because this ambiguity is stopping me from ordering one and I've never been so close to buying a brand new watch unseen before. Just got to get through Sunday night with a few glasses of red without 'proceeding to checkout'

Thanks. Unless I'm missing something I can't find any option to tegiment the bracelet on the U50 either. Just as well because this ambiguity is stopping me from ordering one and I've never been so close to buying a brand new watch unseen before. Just got to get through Sunday night with a few glasses of red without 'proceeding to checkout'
    From the US distributor Watchbuys

https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/S...et-80p4887.htm

"Important features of this watch include:

Case made of fully Tegimented German submarine steel
    Uni-directional Tegimented bezel
    Water resistant to 500 meters
    Date display at 3
    Low pressure resistant
    Sapphire crystal with double sided AR coating
    SuperLuminova on the hands and hours (glows green)

This watch is fitted with a fully Tegimented Sinn stainless steel H-Link bracelet."

Quote Originally Posted by quietly View Post
    From the US distributor Watchbuys

https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/S...et-80p4887.htm

"Important features of this watch include:

Case made of fully Tegimented German submarine steel
    Uni-directional Tegimented bezel
    Water resistant to 500 meters
    Date display at 3
    Low pressure resistant
    Sapphire crystal with double sided AR coating
    SuperLuminova on the hands and hours (glows green)

This watch is fitted with a fully Tegimented Sinn stainless steel H-Link bracelet."
    I can't open that site for some reason. In any event those specs may not be the same as orders made via the official Sinn website. A fully tegimented case, for example, is a cost option.

Interestingly, a US user posted on WUS that the premium for a U50 over a U1 is only $100 over there, as opposed to €270 over here in Europe.....

Craftsman
    Nice looking watch.
    Will probably wait for a used one to turn up next year.
    Love Sinn watches. Owned about 5 recently.
    All gone now.
    Needed the money for a new car.

Sinn do drop like a stone. All mine were purchased pre owned. So I was able to enjoy them without loosing my shirt.
    This U50 is going to be about £1200-£1300 for a mint boxed used example in a year or so.

Lots of speculation regarding tegimented or not.
    All come with a tegimented bezel. We still see these bezels chipped and scratched on the UX, U1 and U2.
    To have the case tegimented it about an additional £250. Not sure if it’s worth the extra or not. The standard finish is quite robust.

Regarding the bracelet. Is it worth having that tegimented. Not sure on that either. It usually costs about £90 extra. But I have seen lots of heavily scratched tegimented straps on eBay over the years. Particularly the clasp.

You can tell if a strap is tegimented as there is a symbol on the clasp. It’s a round circle with a triangle inside. This symbol is also found on the back of a fully tegimented watch.

I have read that all black Sinn watches and straps are tegimented. But can confirm that’s rubbish. Just looked at a few black U1’s on Crono 24 and they don’t have the symbol.
    Last edited by Metalic Mud; 5th May 2020 at 10:51.

I can't open that site for some reason. In any event those specs may not be the same as orders made via the official Sinn website. A fully tegimented case, for example, is a cost option.
    Just for comparisons, on Watchbuys;

The option is called the U50-T and costs $2740
    The non-Tegimented version costs $2260

U1 is $2160
    U1-T is 2640

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Sinn do drop like a stone. All mine were purchased pre owned. So I was able to enjoy them without loosing my shirt.
    This U50 is going to be about £1200-£1300 for a mint boxed used example in a year or so.
    I hear you but who wants to wait a year? I'll wager that the U50 will be relatively rare on SC and I wouldn't be surprised if they hold their value somewhat better than that (although the very real possibility of an impending economic colapse may make a mockery of that statement).

Craftsman
    I hear you but who wants to wait a year?
    Wouldn’t mind in the slightest.
    Lots of things I want. But as I get older, I have grown more patient.

There is a new motorbike I have my eye on. It’s just come out. So no deals.
    So. I wait.

Love to just go out and buy it. But it’s £25,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Wouldn’t mind in the slightest.
    Lots of things I want. But as I get older, I have grown more patient.

There is a new motorbike I have my eye on. It’s just come out. So no deals.
    So. I wait.

Love to just go out and buy it. But it’s £25,000.
    Fair play. I didn't mean to sound flipant. My thinking is that dropping over £2k on a watch now is a lot but it's not significantly different to dropping £1.3k on one a year later. People who can do the former may well be able to do the later.

Journeyman
    Really like the look of these. I'd been considering an EZM 13, so this has confused things! For me, all black on a black rubber strap would be the choice.

Thanks to those posting videos - very helpful.

If I remember correctly what's written on the German uhrforum.de, you can ask for a tegimented bracelet when making the order. Or something along these lines. Anyway, a tegimented bracelet is available and costs only 80 Euro than the normal steel bracelet.

I am understand from Sinn servicing that the Tegimented steel can’t be refinished at service. I appreciate the extra resilience of the tegiment finish, but for ease of refinishing, I think I would probably go standard case and bracelet.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I am understand from Sinn servicing that the Tegimented steel can’t be refinished at service. I appreciate the extra resilience of the tegiment finish, but for ease of refinishing, I think I would probably go standard case and bracelet.

Dave

Not being able to refinish makes sense - tegiment is not a surface finishing. However the whole point of tegiment is that you shouldn't need to refinish ever.

Not being able to refinish makes sense - tegiment is not a surface finishing. However the whole point of tegiment is that you shouldn't need to refinish ever.
    Agreed. Has anyone with a tegimented Sinn ever felt the need to have it refinished?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Sinn may not be able to perfectly replicate the finish, but grit blasting with a suitably hard medium would bring it back. Glass beads would probably give much the same slightly glossy surface. If not, finish with walnut shell grit.

Craftsman
    God, I love this watch. I've always admired the U1 from afar and tried one on at a GTG a while back, thinking that only if it were smaller for my 6.5" wrist.
    No funds at the moment but this new U50 is definitely on my 'wish' list.

Craftsman
    There is another thread already about buying complexities of a Sinn, but this is about this specific model. It is not easy. I'm working with a local distributer and even they're not able to explain this to me with confidence.

On watchuseek, some guy found out that the buying configurations are:
    - U50 S, The all black PVD cased one. This one is interesting as Sinn doesn't do PVD without tegimenting process. However, it is possible to order this one with and without tegiment.
    - U50 SDR, The one with the tegimented PVD bezel. You can add full tegimentation to the case as well for 250
    - U50, The one which is beadblasted steel. You can add full tegimentation for 250

Here is are couple of posts discussing the pricing:
    - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f24/si...l#post51640757

I'm interested in either full tegimented (even bracelet) U50 or U50 S so either fully black or fully beadblasted. Does such thing even exist? How do I pay that extra 80 to get fully tegimented bracelet? Any owners of the PVD U1 S? How durable is the PVD?

I'm interested in either full tegimented (even bracelet) U50 or U50 S so either fully black or fully beadblasted. Does such thing even exist?
    I think that may have been my post you were referring to? If so then your questions are actually answered in that post. As stated, a fully black watch (DLC, not PVD) by it's nature is fully tegimented anyway and costs €2680. A fully tegimented U50 (the plain beadblasted model) costs €2500 (€2170 for watch + €250 for tegimenting the case + €80 for tegimenting the bracelet). Sinn told me that they tegiment the bracelet when a U50 is requested to be tegimented as there would be a colour mismatch otherwise. The confusion lies in the inadequacies of their website where they only list the €250 for tegimenting the case and neglect to mention that this also requires an additional €80 for the bracelet. They need to change their website.

How do I pay that extra 80 to get fully tegimented bracelet?
    I can't comment on how that process works by choosing a fully tegimented U50 (all beadblasted) as I initially ordered the standard model, then phoned them and asked to upgrade my order to a fully tegimented watch. They sent me a link where I could make the additional €330 payment.

If you opt for the U50 S on bracelet (everything black) then the price is €2680, I think you can just ignore the €250 option on the website for this particular model. Again, Sinn should improve their website regarding this.
    Last edited by Narc'd; 10th May 2020 at 10:34.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post
    I think that may have been my post you were referring to? If so then your questions are actually answered in that post. As stated, a fully black watch (DLC, not PVD) by it's nature is fully tegimented anyway and costs €2680. A fully tegimented U50 (the plain beadblasted model) costs €2500 (€2170 for watch + €250 for tegimenting the case + €80 for tegimenting the bracelet). Sinn told me that they tegiment the bracelet when a U50 is requested to be tegimented as there would be a colour mismatch otherwise. The confusion lies in the inadequacies of their website where they only list the €250 for tegimenting the case and neglect to mention that this also requires an additional €80 for the bracelet. They need to change their website.

I can't comment on how that process works by choosing a fully tegimented U50 (all beadblasted) as I initially ordered the standard model, then phoned them and asked to upgrade my order to a fully tegimented watch. They sent me a link where I could make the additional €330 payment.

If you opt for the U50 S on bracelet (everything black) then the price is €2680, I think you can just ignore the €250 option on the website for this particular model. Again, Sinn should improve their website regarding this.
    Thanks! This was super helpful. I'll talk to the distributor here, because I have ordered here and like to support local business. I just need to decide whether to go for the all black (something different) or bead blasted (something safe).

They need to change their website.
    Just a small update - Sinn have now updated their website and included the fully tegimented models with the correct pricing. Hopefully clears up any confusion such as that mentioned in above posts.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Diving_Watches/U50.htm

Craftsman
    I haven't yet ordered. I need to sell something first. I'm thinking of liquidating a titanium seiko 4s15-7000 and/or a Lemania Fortis 5100 for this. Both serve as similar role, so I don't need that many similar watches.

I guess I'll take a tour during the summer to dealers to see if they have any in stock to try one on.