closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinn U50

Master

Sinn U50

Oh, wow. The Sinn U1 is one of my all time favourite watches, but sadly too big for my hamster wrist. Here’s the U50 - a 41mm version.

I’m sold!

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/sinn-un...-watch-series/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gladders; 29th April 2020 at 09:08.

Excellent move by Sinn. I too was always put off the U1 due to its size - this fixes the main issue and gives me plenty of food of thought...

Master
    Like it too. Especially the SDR. Not sure about the red second hand on the 556. The 556 is all about simple legibility which I don't think is helped with the splash of colour.

I would also like to see a non-le 158.

Well done Sinn though. It's a tough time to be selling watches I suspect. Although, I can't wait for my 144 to arrive which should be here any day now.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Available for pre-order at Sinn: https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/U50_S.htm

I've just ordered the S with a red silicone strap, delivery in around 5 weeks.

simon

Really good move. I have been looking round for an affordable U200 as I think the U1 (and UX) a little large in steel. The U200 is perhaps too small, but this looks just right.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    Available for pre-order at Sinn: https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/U50_S.htm

I've just ordered the S with a red silicone strap, delivery in around 5 weeks.

simon
    I like the SDR look, but have to say the combo you've ordered looks fab

Looks a good release to me, not cheap though, especially if you add in tegiment, but certainly fab quality.

Very cool watches

Makes sense expanding their most popular range. Bit of a price hike over the U1 (~Eu 270) - guess that's down to switching from SW200 to SW300 - though the upside of that is a 3.5mm thinner watch (or 1-and-a-bit Piaget Altiplano Ultimates ).

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Makes sense expanding their most popular range. Bit of a price hike over the U1 (~Eu 270) - guess that's down to switching from SW200 to SW300 - though the upside of that is a 3.5mm thinner watch (or 1-and-a-bit Piaget Altiplano Ultimates ).
    I like the size of the U50 more but not sure if the movement upgrade is worth the additional 270 Euros. Is the SW300 really that much better? Tried to do some reading but couldn't find much
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/sellita...tch-movements/

At the moment if I were to get one of of these watches I'm more likely to go for the U1 despite my skinny wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    I like the size of the U50 more but not sure if the movement upgrade is worth the additional 270 Euros. Is the SW300 really that much better? Tried to do some reading but couldn't find much
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/sellita...tch-movements/

At the moment if I were to get one of of these watches I'm more likely to go for the U1 despite my skinny wrists.
    Don't know about better, but it's a good deal slimmer than the SW200, which would equate to some extra development and manufacturing costs. It's about £100 more expensive vs. SW200 on Cousins - obviously manufacturers won't be paying anything like that much more, but by the time it's been factored in to retail prices the difference is predictable I suppose.

Remains a no-brainer where (smaller) size matters - the fact the watch is smaller AND a good deal slimmer is going to make it more versatile and so very appealing to a wider audience.

Really wish I had not seen this........Looking back at my watch history, I think the U1 along with a Tag Heuer Super Professional are the pieces I have sold and re purchased several times over. Loved the design but every time I bought one decided it was just too damn big for my 6.5” wrists and let it go only to repeat the process every time a reasonably priced one appeared on SC (nearly buckled on bought the one on sales corner yesterday).

Have learned my lesson with the Super Pro and one has been in my collection for four years now. Looks like the U50 will be added if I can justify the price tag at this particular time.

Master
    Looks awesome with the red silicone

Don't know about better, but it's a good deal slimmer than the SW200, which would equate to some extra development and manufacturing costs. It's about £100 more expensive vs. SW200 on Cousins - obviously manufacturers won't be paying anything like that much more, but by the time it's been factored in to retail prices the difference is predictable I suppose.

Remains a no-brainer where (smaller) size matters - the fact the watch is smaller AND a good deal slimmer is going to make it more versatile and so very appealing to a wider audience.
    Thanks for the cost breakdown. Yeah that's fair enough. I personally don't mind a bit of heft, especially with tool watches but can see that there's quite a difference with the U50 which may appeal to slimmer wrists. Confirmed by RLE's post above too.

I've never been a fan of the Lego-brick hands, so I'm not too bothered about this.

From my experience with the EZM7S, I'd say the black finish will be very hard wearing - Mine has no marks on it after 5 years.

It does seem quite expensive for a Sellita movement watch, though.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like these, particularly the bracelet variant.

Craftsman
    That looks fantastic, I've always wanted to try a U1 but will probably give one of these a go instead. Really brilliant move from Sinn.

Ooh, now that looks good! I've missed my U1 for a while, but haven't had the chance(well, money) to replace it. My tastes have probably shifted a bit towards slightly smaller watches, so a smaller/slimmer version looks appealing. Mind you, the U1 wore pretty well for its size due to the short lugs. A weight difference might be appreciated though!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Good move by Sinn as already said, not for me as I'd still choose the U1 for that type of watch with my wrist size however I can see the U50 being popular. It's also quite an investment for Sinn as I think I'm correct in saying that the case, dial, handset and bezel are unique to the U50, unlike the new 556 variants.

Not really much else to say about the new releases, my wallet is sighing in relief.

Craftsman
    Excellent move by Sinn! Fantastic looking watch.

From my point of view, this is perfection. The U1 has always been one of my favourite watches, but I sold both versions I had when I finally concluded they were a tad too large for me. I'll without question be buying on of these in the standard finish on bracelet (but with a fully regimented case, and with the rubber strap as an addition). I can't think of a better every-day watch.

Four different looks on my old U1, just because I love these watches so much...

Last edited by learningtofly; 29th April 2020 at 13:38.

I love the look and the tech of the U1 but I never really considered it due to the size. At 41mm and under 12mm thick the U50 sounds great on paper. I'll look to try one in the flesh when normal service resumes...

Master
    Can only add to the chorus of approval. Sometimes it's almost a relief when one aspect of a watch you otherwise really like isn't quite right, as one then has a rationale for not spending even more on watches when you already have 1/10/100. That was the case with the U1 - too big, as many have said. But this is on the nail. Damn ...

In the ablogtowatch article there is a side by side U50 / U1 picture. I personally think the U1 looks just that tiny bit better proportioned, but it has to be a good move to make as slightly smaller version.

Not sure I'd pay more for the U50 though, but I fully get that tooling up for a new case etc. comes at a price.

I'm sure it'll be a hit - look forward to hearing how the new owners like em.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    In the ablogtowatch article there is a side by side U50 / U1 picture. I personally think the U1 looks just that tiny bit better proportioned, but it has to be a good move to make as slightly smaller version.
    Yes, think I would agree with you there, Andy. Dial does look a touch cluttered when compared side by side to the larger original as the thickness of the hands is maintained. Thankfully not a limited release so time to weigh up a purchase and decide on the steel or sdr bezel.............

Tool watch in that small size?No tnx...
    Smaller size, less depth, higher price...

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    Tool watch in that small size?No tnx...
    Smaller size, less depth, higher price...

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk
    Since when was 41mm small? And do most of these really get worn as tool watches??

I think the U50 dial looks better proportioned in relation the hands. I think it's a hard choice between this on the SDR bezel and the Sinn UX SDR for me. Petty but I do wish the back end of the red seconds hand didn't dip into the white of the minute hand.

Like anyone actually could use this to a depth over 500m and therefore must buy the U1 over the U50 for its greater WR.....

Stolen from the Sinn owners FB group -

Eat your greens

love the U1 but slightly too large for me.

This on the other hand. Oh me. Oh my. First watch I'll buy for over 5 years.

11.5mm high, a gnat's hair under 48mm lug-lug height. 20mm strap. Nigh on perfect sizing for me

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    ... Petty but I do wish the back end of the red seconds hand didn't dip into the white of the minute hand.
    Agreed - I'd prefer the centers to be black and just use the red at the end of the second hand - declutter the look...

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Since when was 41mm small? And do most of these really get worn as tool watches??
    For a tool watch that is small, at least for me...and it is a tool watch; how does it get worn?Probably like all divers...a casual watch... so why buy both at all? 1000m?500m?Who needs it...100m Seiko 5 will cover all...
    (and that is why we are all here )
    Rgds
    Last edited by martyloveswatches; 29th April 2020 at 18:25.

Tool watches?? What next, range rovers in fields with mud on them?

Craftsman

Thanks for posting this. I've often fancied a Sinn and this could be the one which makes me go yay!

Craftsman
    I like the look and the size, less so the price.

Hmm - I wore a fully Tegimented U1 on the bracelet as a daily for about 5 years and it was the weight not the size that bugged me. The do have large wrists but with short lugs I found it quite a reasonable size. On the other hand the SW200 was agricultural to wind and was no more accurate than a cheap Seiko, and the lume was the worst I’ve ever seen on a dive watch - the case and bracelet were fantastically well engineered but everything else was a bit ‘meh’ imho

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    the SW200 was agricultural to wind and was no more accurate than a cheap Seiko

That puts me right off tbh. Is the SW300 significantly better?

Sinn U50

Well, I’ve ordered one.

Found a hands on review on YouTube. Gave me a chance to scrub up on my German (alternatively subtitles available!). Anyway looks great to me.

https://youtu.be/f9cZ6o2dFZ8

I've a couple of watches with SW200s, one with an SW220, and one SW300 (I have too many watches, natch), and not one of them seems to my inexperienced senses in any way agricultural, other than that every single person writing about them invokes the cliche "workhorse" to describe them. I guess it's always possible the occasional duffer will get through QA though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Well, I’ve ordered one.

Found a hands on review on YouTube. Gave me a chance to scrub up on my German (alternatively subtitles available!). Anyway looks great to me.

Fast forward to 1:40 to see some real case love and caressing!

Steve

I've a couple of watches with SW200s, one with an SW220, and one SW300 (I have too many watches, natch), and not one of them seems to my inexperienced senses in any way agricultural, other than that every single person writing about them invokes the cliche "workhorse" to describe them. I guess it's always possible the occasional duffer will get through QA though.
    Thanks for that. How is timekeeping on your SW300?

Like most on here I’ve lost count of the automatics and handwounds I’ve owned over the years. I was so concerned at the rough feel to the hand winding of my U1 I actually sent it back to Sinn who sent it back with a hand written note saying it was functioning normally. Somehow they’d also transformed it from losing a 2 seconds a day (I was quite happy with that but had asked them if possible to adjust it to gain a little - as it was going all the way back to Germany!) to losing 6 or 7 seconds. I was never really all that enthusiastic about the movement from that point on tbh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Well, I’ve ordered one.

I bet he's fun at parties

Master
    Why do i think £1900 for this on rubber strap is really expensive? Should I just "get my coat?"

I think I'm a now priced out of most of the main Swiss / German watch brands.

Thanks for that. How is timekeeping on your SW300?
    I lied, slightly, it's an SW330-1 in a Glycine "Purist" - this uses the GMT function to run a 24 hour cycle, and, like all three Glycines I own (see, I have a problem...), it keeps really good time, gaining about a minute a month on the winder with occasional use. Don't know whether it's a coincidence or if Glycine take a bit of care with regulating their output, but all 3 embarrass pricier watches in the collection... The other two are both SW200-1 based.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Why do i think £1900 for this on rubber strap is really expensive?
    Because it is. I'm waiting to see what codes Jura come up with but at that money I'm not buying.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Because it is. I'm waiting to see what codes Jura come up with but at that money I'm not buying.
    Thank you :) but I just was thinking; movement is fine, but not incredible. Bezel is Tegimented, which is fine again. But it's £5/600 more than the Damasko divers, and £1100 more than Laco's with a 2842 elabore and a ceramic bezel with lume (which you can also get from Jura with a discount code).

Those threads about Seiko getting expensive? They have a point, but I remember the old Sinn prices when they were only available from Chronomaster.co.uk

Still, very nice to see a new diver not being massive, the design is still great and I'd not moan if someone bought me one!

I’m a bit on the fence with this release. I always appreciated the U1 as one of those rarities, a diver with strong original design language. I have regretted that my sparrow wrists would not be enough for such a large watch as well as the U1’s rather clumsy handset. The U50 is a great size at 41mm and would suit me perfectly. I still hate the hands, much preferring UX style ones. The proportions of the U1 are better, and the “U50” script is quite overpowering.

The shift to 41mm is welcome but but overall I don’t think it’s for me.

Dave

I am (see above) really pleased to see this model but

If you go solid bracelet, the price is a bit odd.

U50 is €2170
    U1 €1900

On a like for like. €70 gets you the SDR, €250 the Tegiment, €510 all black (which is Tegiment as well)

The increments remain the same for the U50 and the U1, but how come the smaller case with half the WR costs €270 more? I see the SW200 to SW300 movement change, but that is not an added cost is it, it is just a slimmer movement, an ETA clone nonetheless.
    And there is no new tech, like the Ar system or anything else.
    Are we being warned of an impending price rise?

In terms of building it, the U50 isn't just a version of the U1, but a fresh product, and so will have R and D costs needing paying for.

Also, something smaller may be more expensive to produce - tighter tolerances perhaps. Eg I don't see Piagets getting cheaper as they get thinner.