closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: For us shy/retiring types, where to sell?

For us shy/retiring types, where to sell?

I've bought a few things off here, most recently a fantastic Pelagos (thanks @midgetda), but I have a watch I want to sell. I'm not a big forum poster so my post count doesn't qualify me to sell the watch here, which is fair enough, but I was wondering where would be the next best place to sell? Value is in the £10k area and am baulking at paying chrono24's 6.5%!

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

Check the WTB section. Hopefully someone wants one of whatever you've got.

Yep, will keep my eyes open. Cheers

Against my better judgement I sold two high value watches on eBay last year after they simply didn’t sell on here (despite several reductions) I really didn’t want to use eBay but it all worked out perfectly and i definitely got more for them than I would have here.

Have you got a local trusted dealer..
    Let him sell it on commission for you.
    I have always found this the best way less hassle way of selling and you will achieve the best price possible without the low balling idiots/Scammers etc
    Good dealers like the deal as well as they are not spending their own money.. just be realistic pricing your watch and don’t begrudge the dealer a sensible profit.
    I wouldn’t dream of selling a high value item on any market place platform unless you are 100% confident in your own ability.
    private sellers have very little protection from the likes of PayPal etc where a buyer can return the item for whatever reason within 180 days and can be a whole lot of pain grief and worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^^

Sadly, scammers and chancers seem to run freely on eBay. I'd be comfortable selling a watch for a hundred pounds but not for anything like £10K.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Against my better judgement I sold two high value watches on eBay last year after they simply didn’t sell on here (despite several reductions) I really didn’t want to use eBay but it all worked out perfectly and i definitely got more for them than I would have here.
    What sort of value were they? I actually sold a Breitling Superocean on eBay but it was "only" about £1k so I knew the selling price was going to be there or thereabouts. In fact it worked out quite well as the buyer was local and I didn't even need to post it. I just feel nervous about selling my BLNR on there and then having to post it - despite the fact I've bought a Tudor and another Rolex that were both posted to me!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Have you got a local trusted dealer..
    Let him sell it on commission for you.
    I have always found this the best way less hassle way of selling and you will achieve the best price possible without the low balling idiots/Scammers etc
    Good dealers like the deal as well as they are not spending their own money.. just be realistic pricing your watch and don’t begrudge the dealer a sensible profit.
    I wouldn’t dream of selling a high value item on any market place platform unless you are 100% confident in your own ability.
    private sellers have very little protection from the likes of PayPal etc where a buyer can return the item for whatever reason within 180 days and can be a whole lot of pain grief and worry.
    That's a good option - I have to admit I hadn't thought of that. Although I'm assuming I'd probably have to wait until lockdown is over before I can get it to them. There are a couple of places in Manchester I could go and have a word with. Would you know what a typical fee would be?

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    This ^^^

Sadly, scammers and chancers seem to run freely on eBay. I'd be comfortable selling a watch for a hundred pounds but not for anything like £10K.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Paypal is the one I fear

Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    What sort of value were they? I actually sold a Breitling Superocean on eBay but it was "only" about £1k so I knew the selling price was going to be there or thereabouts. In fact it worked out quite well as the buyer was local and I didn't even need to post it. I just feel nervous about selling my BLNR on there and then having to post it - despite the fact I've bought a Tudor and another Rolex that were both posted to me!
    £5k and £6k. I didn’t ship either of them. Plenty of dialogue up front, met at their house and the other at his office and took bank transfer on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    £5k and £6k. I didn’t ship either of them. Plenty of dialogue up front, met at their house and the other at his office and took bank transfer on the spot.
    Thanks, so not exactly cheap! Going to have a good think about it.

That's a good option - I have to admit I hadn't thought of that. Although I'm assuming I'd probably have to wait until lockdown is over before I can get it to them. There are a couple of places in Manchester I could go and have a word with. Would you know what a typical fee would be?
    Buying is completely different to selling on these platforms the buyer has all of the real world protection..
    And unfortunately for you your watch will attract it fair share of idiots/scammers it’s sad but our world has changed forever.
    It’s difficult to set an acceptable fixed amount for selling but it’s more important to set a realistic figure that you would accept for a hassle risk free sale.
    If you want say £10k for your watch tell your dealer that’s what you want and he will tell you immediately if that’s unrealistic or if he thinks he can sell it for you and what he makes on the sale should be for you irrelevant.

Buying is completely different to selling on these platforms the buyer has all of the real world protection..
    And unfortunately for you your watch will attract it fair share of idiots/scammers it’s sad but our world has changed forever.
    It’s difficult to set an acceptable fixed amount for selling but it’s more important to set a realistic figure that you would accept for a hassle risk free sale.
    If you want say £10k for your watch tell your dealer that’s what you want and he will tell you immediately if that’s unrealistic or if he thinks he can sell it for you and what he makes on the sale should be for you irrelevant.
    If I could give a vote of wisdom for your reply, I would! Many thanks

I was offered slightly north of that for mine from a dealer in Wales in Feb, when I sold my Sub to them (kept the BLNR) - dealing with them was simple, so prob worth ringing around a few dealers to see what the going rate is. I don’t know if any are active at the moment due to lockdown.

Ebay would be safe enough as long as you stipulate local pick up only as the only delivery option. This does reduce your potential market to people local to you, or those who are prepared to travel but helps removes the risk of many of the potential scams. You and the buyer can then decide to meet up at a mutually convenient location with all the usual safety caveats in place.
    Oh, and if possible wait for a £1 listing fees deal (annoyingly these dont seem to be offered at the moment).

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Ebay would be safe enough as long as you stipulate local pick up only as the only delivery option. This does reduce your potential market to people local to you, or those who are prepared to travel but helps removes the risk of many of the potential scams. You and the buyer can then decide to meet up at a mutually convenient location with all the usual safety caveats in place.
    Oh, and if possible wait for a £1 listing fees deal (annoyingly these dont seem to be offered at the moment).

Great advice I have sold pieces exactly as above on eBay with collection only with a face to face deal. always insist on photo id and get to know the buyer well before any meeting also remember your buyer maybe as worried and concerned about the deal as you are.
    And Never Ever accept PayPal as payment as you have Zero protection when items are collected.
    Also be careful when accepting a bank transfer as I believe they can be set up as a standing order and cancelled within 24 hrs make sure the payment is a direct transfer call your bank for confirmation.

Great advice I have sold pieces exactly as above on eBay with collection only with a face to face deal. always insist on photo id and get to know the buyer well before any meeting also remember your buyer maybe as worried and concerned about the deal as you are.
    And Never Ever accept PayPal as payment as you have Zero protection when items are collected.
    Also be careful when accepting a bank transfer as I believe they can be set up as a standing order and cancelled within 24 hrs make sure the payment is a direct transfer call your bank for confirmation.

Great advice also, security caveats explained clearly.

eBay is ok if your careful

Master
    Personally I’d try Eddie at Bloombar Watches. I’ve just concluded a deal with him, did what he said he was going to do, no messing about, funds were transferred same day he received the watch, he arranged at their cost DHL pick up with insurance all covered by them.

Price wise he was very competitive, much better than Chrononext and Watchfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Personally I’d try Eddie at Bloombar Watches. I’ve just concluded a deal with him, did what he said he was going to do, no messing about, funds were transferred same day he received the watch, he arranged at their cost DHL pick up with insurance all covered by them.

Price wise he was very competitive, much better than Chrononext and Watchfinder.
    Thanks for the recommendation - I'll give them a shout in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post

Got a decent offer from him earlier - thanks for the recommendation. I also put it up on one of the FB groups and had a few daft offers but also some not far off. Quite surprised by the demand tbh

I have sold on ebay some watches at 7-8k. It has gone well as we have swapped LinkedIn details, business cards and ID. Provided a receipt when we met to finalise.

One guy bought a Speedmaster from me and paid, he then said he was away and could I post it when he was back. Three months later he asked me to post it and I did.

If you do the LinkedIn, B card and ID you do lesson the chances for things to go wrong.

Journeyman
    I've sold several in the $1-2K range on ebay and reddit (r/watchexchange) with no problems, but maybe I just got lucky. My advice would be to sell only to people with established feedback if selling on a forum, especially if using paypal rather than bank transfer. If you're willing to send overseas you can get better prices but shipping/customs can cause a hassle, especially in certain countries. It might depend on the kind of watch you're selling too. Probably more scammers targeting highly fungible watches rather than, say, old Vostoks.
    Last edited by bitt3n; 8th May 2020 at 09:32.

Master
    Shy/Retiring types.......... i wouldn’t be bothering trying to sell on FB then :-)

Got a decent offer from him earlier - thanks for the recommendation. I also put it up on one of the FB groups and had a few daft offers but also some not far off. Quite surprised by the demand tbh