closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster 2254.50. Advice needed.

Omega Seamaster 2254.50. Advice needed.

Having given my first 2254.50 to my son in 2005, I visited the Omega boutique in Geneva in 2012, hoping to get another one for myself.
    I was told the this model had been discontinued in 2006 and that none were available, but he would check with Bienne.
    He called me after a couple of days and told me that a new 2254.50 had been sourced and would be available for collection in a few days.

I was very pleased (to put it mildly) and I have enjoyed wearing the watch over the last eight years.

I recently noticed that the watch was running slow, but it wasn't too bad, so I ignored it. I recently acquired a Timegrapher and it confirmed -30/40 seconds per day and the beat error was all over the place.

It's not huge, but it's a bit much for a COSC certified chronometer. The ticking beat on the Timegrapher also seems to miss a beat or two every so often.

I suppose this means a full service (ouch!) or at least a proper regulation.

A bit much after eight years considering that it has spent a good 50% of the time in my watch box.

Depressed from Switzerland.

At a guess, it was produced at least as far back as 2006 (when the model was discontinued), so it's not just an 8 year old watch, it's a 14 year old watch that spent 6 years in storage somewhere. It''s not that surprising that it needs a service.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Full service - end of...

Grand Master
    Shame the OP isn’t in the UK, I’m still servicing the odd one or two of these although I’m trying to focus solely on my own watches at the moment. Chances are the lubrication’s dried up and sticky, I’m sure it’ll be fine after stripping the movement, cleaning and re- oiling. It’s wise to fit a new mainspring and barrel, usually the barrel walls have some wear so it makes sense.

Despite the current restrictions on life I’m a actually finding less time for watch work! Mrs W is around all day so we’re doing things jointly and that doesn’t involve watch work. She’s also finding jobs for me to do around the house........she can be very pursuasive!

My advice to the OP is to find a local indy repairer who will do a good job without ripping you off. These watches are very straightforward to work on.

Thank you. A full service then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Shame the OP isn’t in the UK, I’m still servicing the odd one or two of these although I’m trying to focus solely on my own watches at the moment. Chances are the lubrication’s dried up and sticky, I’m sure it’ll be fine after stripping the movement, cleaning and re- oiling. It’s wise to fit a new mainspring and barrel, usually the barrel walls have some wear so it makes sense.

Despite the current restrictions on life I’m a actually finding less time for watch work! Mrs W is around all day so we’re doing things jointly and that doesn’t involve watch work. She’s also finding jobs for me to do around the house........she can be very pursuasive!

My advice to the OP is to find a local indy repairer who will do a good job without ripping you off. These watches are very straightforward to work on.
    Paul did my 2007 2254, it's like new and I'm thrilled with it.

Journeyman
    Apologies for bumping an old thread, but would appreciate some input from the experts here. I’m about to have my Seamaster 2254 sent away to Omega for it’s first service - yes I know it is well overdue!

Mainly, do I fully trust Omega to do everything they feel is necessary to the watch? Or should I ask them to skip any particular steps? For example, should I allow them to polish the watch or is this to be avoided? Also, they mentioned that they may change the hands - again what is the view on this? Appreciate any views on what to look out for. Thanks

Master
    If you want to retain the character and history of your watch, You can probably ask them to have it service and keep most of the exposed part as it is and avoid having it polish.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Why wouldn't you have it refinished?

These aren't Rolex Subs, where it's all too easy to leave the lugs too thin. I`ve refinished plenty Omega SMPs myself and provided it's done carefully it's easy to refresh the appearance without spoiling the watch in any shape or form.

Frankly, I'm sick of reading this bollocks about 'not refinishing'. I rarely do the refinishing work any longer because it takes too long and I don`t enjoy it, but I find it frustrating that this skilled work is now disregarded and frowned upon by those who supposedly know better.

I`ve serviced and refinished stacks of these in the past but I no longer bother thesedays, a combination of difficulty obtaining correct parts (I do still have a stash) and the attitude of the owners who are influenced by what they read.

Send it to Omega, pay big money, enjoy the warm feeling.......but use your brain and get it looking like it ought to do!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    If you want to retain the character and history of your watch, You can probably ask them to have it service and keep most of the exposed part as it is and avoid having it polish.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Rubbish!

Master
    There is no downside to letting Omega do everything they want to in the service on a modern watch. If they do change the hands they will look identical to those on the watch at present since all 2254s use Superluminova (unless yours are degraded in some way). On a recent watch like this, leaving it scratched up a bit perverse unless you have some special bond with the patina. This is not a 60s Rolex, or 50s Speedmaster, 2254s are worth more mint than beaten up so the sensible decision is to refurb it. They will do a good job.
    Last edited by Padders; 7th June 2022 at 23:12.

Journeyman
    Thank you - that is very helpful. Just the sense check I needed, I'll send it away with confidence that they will know how best to treat the watch.

Grand Master
    If the bezel insert is marked and the bezel itself has significant deep scratches it's worth having a new bezel fitted even if you have to pay for it, nothing spoils these watches more than a scruffy bezel especially if the rest of the watch looks sharp. This is a weak area, the bezels almost always pick up marks and sometimes they get really knocked around. Fine scratches on the bezel itself can be removed and the bezel can be refinished, but it's essential to keep the sharpness of the scalloped facets. Always struck me as odd that Omega never supplied the insert as a separate part, it separates easily and has to be separated to refinish the bezel!

Suggest you have some communication with the folks at the service centre when the watch goes in, discuss it with them.

Blog Entries
    This seems like a good thread to ask these two questions:

(1) On a 2531.80, does Omega insist on changing the entire bezel if the insert needs replacing?

(2) Will they return the old bezel and/or insert?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This seems like a good thread to ask these two questions:

(1) On a 2531.80, does Omega insist on changing the entire bezel if the insert needs replacing?

(2) Will they return the old bezel and/or insert?
    Omega don’t replace inserts, it’s the whole bezel or nothing and that always strikes me as strange.

I assume the old parts get returned.

Its worth having a new bezel fitted unless the original is in really too condition, the inserts usually pick up a few unsightly marks and the outer facetted edges get knocked around. V. difficult to refinish and keep the sharpness, I’ve seen poor refinished examples back from Omega but that’s probably because the customer declined a replacement so they did their best to get the old one looking better.

I had a couple of virtually mint bezels but they were sold a while back.

Journeyman
    If the bezel insert is marked and the bezel itself has significant deep scratches it's worth having a new bezel fitted even if you have to pay for it, nothing spoils these watches more than a scruffy bezel especially if the rest of the watch looks sharp. This is a weak area, the bezels almost always pick up marks and sometimes they get really knocked around. Fine scratches on the bezel itself can be removed and the bezel can be refinished, but it's essential to keep the sharpness of the scalloped facets. Always struck me as odd that Omega never supplied the insert as a separate part, it separates easily and has to be separated to refinish the bezel!

Suggest you have some communication with the folks at the service centre when the watch goes in, discuss it with them.

Noted, yes I think it has picked up most of the wear and tear on the bezel, so if this can be replaced it would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    Noted, yes I think it has picked up most of the wear and tear on the bezel, so if this can be replaced it would be worth it.
    Out of interest, I have an SMP from 1996 which is in top condition with lovely faded plots and hands. The bezel is slightly faded but not scratch. However it is slight melt misaligned. Can it be moved inside the bezel with something like a suction clamp or dose it need to be removed from the bezel first?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
    Out of interest, I have an SMP from 1996 which is in top condition with lovely faded plots and hands. The bezel is slightly faded but not scratch. However it is slight melt misaligned. Can it be moved inside the bezel with something like a suction clamp or dose it need to be removed from the bezel first?
    Definitely needs to be removed and that involves removing the bezel. Sometimes the misalignment is caused by slight wear to the bezel teeth and spring but its more likely ti be caused by tge last guy who worked on it!

To getting the insert aligned correctly isn’t easy, I don’t recommend anyone to try separating the insert and bezel if the don’t know what they’re doing.

Blog Entries
    Omega don’t replace inserts, it’s the whole bezel or nothing and that always strikes me as strange.

I assume the old parts get returned.

Its worth having a new bezel fitted unless the original is in really too condition, the inserts usually pick up a few unsightly marks and the outer facetted edges get knocked around. V. difficult to refinish and keep the sharpness, I’ve seen poor refinished examples back from Omega but that’s probably because the customer declined a replacement so they did their best to get the old one looking better.

I had a couple of virtually mint bezels but they were sold a while back.
    Many thanks, Paul.

Master
    but its more likely ti be caused by tge last guy who worked on it!
    Probably right this. Don’t think I’ve ever seen an SMP with a misaligned bezel. 1st gen POs a different matter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As omega are part of the Swatch group it's the same for Longines. They will only replace the complete bezel. I know this from experience unfortunately.

Sent from a technical device.

Journeyman
    Well, dropped the watch into Omega today and they have suggested a 12-14 week turnaround.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Both times Omega serviced my SeMP GMT they replaced the entire handset and returned the old ones to me. No additional charge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Both times Omega serviced my SeMP GMT they replaced the entire handset and returned the old ones to me. No additional charge.
    Hands are always included if necessary. Dials and bezels are not*.

*In fact Omega are running is a program at present to offer free replacement for Bond 2531.80 bezels which have faded excessively when the watch is sent for service at OSC Southampton. The faded ones actually look good so it is only wise to accept if yours is scratched up and you want the brand new look. This does not apply to other SMP models such as the 2254. I understand that they don't return the faded bezel if the replacement is FOC, if you pay they do, you can then recoup about 50% when you flip it on.
    Last edited by Padders; 9th June 2022 at 22:45.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    Well, dropped the watch into Omega today and they have suggested a 12-14 week turnaround.
    You could’ve sent it to me, paid half the price and waited half the time! what I can't provide is the warm feeling you get from sending it back to the mothership.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You could’ve sent it to me, paid half the price and waited half the time! what I can't provide is the warm feeling you get from sending it back to the mothership.
    You've said multiple times that you can't get new parts - or it's very difficult - so if you have a issue refitting the hands, say, what happens then?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Hands are always included if necessary. Dials and bezels are not*.
    I wear it a lot but always surprised me that the full handset was swapped out both times

Swatch changed the hands on my 2254 when I sent it to them for a service and they no longer matched the dial lume colour (the hands were significantly lighter.) It totally ruined the watch for me.

It also came back running several minutes per day fast.

This was about 10 years ago so hopefully they’ve got better QC now, but their service dept put me off owning any Swatch group watch again.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    You've said multiple times that you can't get new parts - or it's very difficult - so if you have a issue refitting the hands, say, what happens then?
    I raid my diminishing stash of parts.......when they're gone they're gone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I raid my diminishing stash of parts.......when they're gone they're gone.
    Fair enough, thank you for replying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Swatch changed the hands on my 2254 when I sent it to them for a service and they no longer matched the dial lume colour (the hands were significantly lighter.) It totally ruined the watch for me.

It also came back running several minutes per day fast.

This was about 10 years ago so hopefully they’ve got better QC now, but their service dept put me off owning any Swatch group watch again.
    Never saw a difference on mine but I had a 2007 model - maybe made a difference? Running fast would have annoyed me, did you send it back to them to sort it?

Master
    It sounds like they fitted the wrong hands. There are in fact at least 3 different colours of hands used on SMP Blake dial models, maybe more. Some titanium models and the Great White SMP for instance used different coloured lume to the 2254 (and each other) but are are interchangeable I believe. The difference is subtle but some lume looks greener, others whiter and some more yellow. They have different part numbers too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    It sounds like they fitted the wrong hands. There are in fact at least 3 different colours of hands used on SMP Blake dial models, maybe more. Some titanium models and the Great White SMP for instance used different coloured lume to the 2254 (and each other) but are are interchangeable I believe. The difference is subtle but some lume looks greener, others whiter and some more yellow. They have different part numbers too.
    Every day's a school day!