closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex Explorer ref 214270 - price direction?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    The difference of £700 between a very nice example which you have no history of No matter how nice it looks and a new one with a brand new 5 year warranty and of course the wonderful Rolex buying experience is nothing IMO but we all make our own choices and I repeat I would never pay a premium on this easier to get piece..
    On my trip into London I had no intention of buying any watch the opportunity just arose and I bought it.
    I sold mine because I also own the 36mm and found the 39mm unbalanced and out of proportion with the bracelet but that’s a personal opinion and no slur on the watch i just didn’t like it and I wear anything from 34mm-44mm and everything in between.
    I don’t get hung up on watch sizes all watches can wear very different as we all have very different shaped wrists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, contrary to what you initially posted

1 - You didn’t easily pick up a ‘mint one for £4,300’, you paid full retail.

2 - You then sold it on at a profit. Which showed your buyer was prepared to pay above RRP, as well. Wonder why he, like yourself, wasn’t able to pick up one of these ‘mint’ condition ones at £4,300.

Show me anywhere on the Internet where there’s a mint modern Explorer, currently available at £4,300?

You won’t be able to, because if someone listed one in that condition and at that price, they’d have their hand bitten off in moments.

Why? because it’s not ‘the going rate.’
    Last edited by Antony23; 7th May 2020 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony23 View Post
    So, contrary to what you initially posted

1 - You didn’t easily pick up a ‘mint one for £4,300’, you paid full retail.

2 - You then sold it on at a profit. Which showed your buyer was prepared to pay above RRP, as well. Wonder why he, like yourself, wasn’t able to pick up one of these ‘mint’ condition ones at £4,300.

Show me anywhere on the Internet where there’s a mint modern Explorer, currently available at £4,300?

You won’t be able to, because if someone listed one in that condition and at that price, they’d have their hand bitten off in moments.

Why? because it’s not ‘the going rate.’
    So I guess the one listed on the SC doesn’t count.,
    SC is not some mystical place it is place where sellers in general ask realistic prices and pieces get sold and those that are trying to cash in on the hype remain mainly unsold especially on the easier to find pieces..
    You can believe your watch is worth Watchfinder selling prices all you want but the reality is very different.
    I’m not sure you really get it but I wish you well with your watch and hope you enjoy it for many years to come and not worry about it’s value to much

Are you lot bickering about watches again?

Journeyman
    And today I bought one. 2012 model with box and papers. I'm over the moon with it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    And today I bought one. 2012 model with box and papers. I'm over the moon with it
    Glad you managed to get what you were after. Enjoy it! :)

Journeyman
    Nice one mate, looks great, wear it in good health.

Journeyman
    Thank you all, great help on this forum. If anyone hears Rolex are doing a blue Explorer / OP in 39mm with arabic numerals and lume on them, give me a shout and this one will be up for sale

Master
    I have been offered a new one at list price, I like them as an option. the bracelet is the winner for me!

Journeyman
    Did you have to go on a waiting list? The ADs (in Dublin and Belfast) that I spoke to earlier in this year (before the pandemic) informally told me anyone was allowed on the waiting list if presented in person in their shop and the waiting time was likely months rather than years. I can only presume that the waiting lists have not grown any longer since then!

The new model (from 2016) has lume on the arabic numbers, which is nice

Master
    When I rejected the non date sub i asked last week what they had, the chap informed me that he had explorer, explorer 2, milgauss and sd43 that I could pay for and collect when the store opened.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    If only Rolex did a sub or even a SD in that lovely blue colour from the OP or the sky dweller. I'd be trading in my explorer!

I think these watches will slowly increase in value as the more traditional sports models climb out of reach for some.

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    When I rejected the non date sub i asked last week what they had, the chap informed me that he had explorer, explorer 2, milgauss and sd43 that I could pay for and collect when the store opened.
    Which one do you think you might eventually settle on then because I assume non of the ones you listed above were any good ?

Master
    When i rejected the non date I didn't have the physical cash, it would have gone on a credit card. Now I have made room for it in the collection I wish I had the chance to get it again.
    I have a polar explorer 2 a slightly older one, so i don't really need the new one. The Milgauss at £6.5k or so at RRP seems pretty high to me, so from a relative value for money idea, I might go explorer for £5.2k, unless something of interest does not come up on here in the next week or so.

Journeyman
    Only a month in and my eye is starting to wander already. Is that bad?

I quite fancy a Milgauss Z-Blue. And someone told me a blue Yachtmaster sold here recently for just over GBP7k? I thought they were thousands more than that. That would be in budget. They must depreciate a bit then.

Only a month in and my eye is starting to wander already. Is that bad?

I quite fancy a Milgauss Z-Blue. And someone told me a blue Yachtmaster sold here recently for just over GBP7k? I thought they were thousands more than that. That would be in budget. They must depreciate a bit then.
    Not bad but all your talk of value, depreciation, budget, money, money, money just shows where your focus is. Sell your Explorer to someone who actually appreciates the watch rather than values it.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    Fair play if you don't have to think about finances when buying watches. For me money is tight, owning a Rolex is almost beyond my means, so I have to be very careful what I buy. I can't afford big depreciation hits

Craftsman
    I think the second hand prices are relatively stable for this model, but ultimately if the wait is months, I would hold out for a new one at rrp.

Journeyman
    I went to my local AD yesterday, the first day it opened since the lock down. Went on the waiting list for a no date sub. They told me expect a waiting time of 12-18 months, but I guess that's the standard answer. They also promised me they would contact me if they got in a blue yachtmaster 40 or a Z-Blue Milgauss, so I could try one on

Tried on a blue DJ 36 but indeed, it was far too small. That rules out the OP 36 in blue (with the arabic numerals) for me too

Fair play if you don't have to think about finances when buying watches. For me money is tight, owning a Rolex is almost beyond my means, so I have to be very careful what I buy. I can't afford big depreciation hits
    nor me

Apprentice
    Appreciate you posting this, not just for the watch. I have the same brand of car as you and wondered what other owners might make of my (first ever) Rolex 214270, that I'm due to collect next week. There's plenty of Porsche + Rolex on Instagram but Tesla seems more compatible with an Apple Watch to most although I also own one of those.
    Last edited by JustinC; 10th June 2020 at 08:52.

Craftsman
    Wait, does your watch have to match your car?

What if you take the bus?

Or ride a scooter?

I'd rather take a 50% hit once than a 15% hit 5-10 times while I figure out what I actually want. 9/10 people buying a watch have to think about finances first so you're not alone in this. Residual values might give you the confidence to buy but they're not a reason to buy.

I went to my local AD yesterday, the first day it opened since the lock down. Went on the waiting list for a no date sub. They told me expect a waiting time of 12-18 months, but I guess that's the standard answer. They also promised me they would contact me if they got in a blue yachtmaster 40 or a Z-Blue Milgauss, so I could try one on

Tried on a blue DJ 36 but indeed, it was far too small. That rules out the OP 36 in blue (with the arabic numerals) for me too
    If you're worried about depreciation I would personally stay away from a YatchMaster and Milgauss as they don't tend to have the strongest residuals from the SS professional range. The polished centre links are also very marmite. I think the Sub ND has the same movement as the Explorer and the OP39 if that interests you, similar to the Milgauss and Explorer. Have you considered an OP39?

Master
    No idea how accurate this is but worth a look at least. According to their data price direction is flat or slightly down.

https://watchcharts.com/watch/507/overview

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
    Appreciate you posting this, not just for the watch. I have the same brand of car as you and wondered what other owners might make of my (first ever) Rolex 214270, that I'm due to collect next week. There's plenty of Porsche + Rolex on Instagram but Tesla seems more compatible with an Apple Watch to most although I also own one of those.
    Damn, my main car is a Tesla. Should I buy an Apple watch now?

Journeyman
    Traded my 214270 in for a 116400GV a couple of days ago. The Explorer was just a bit too understated for me. Which surprised me as that was the main pro I bought it for.

Journeyman
    I must be well stuck in phase 4 of watch collecting

I now fancy a Yachtmaster 40 blue! If anyone knows of one for sale for reasonable money, please let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

And my Milgauss is provisionally sold locally...

Rolex Explorer ref 214270 - price direction?

Little bump. Are things returning to normal? I sold a 214270 for £4k before the madness but wouldn't mind another, just not for current pricing.

I put a sell request into WF to try and guage the market and they came back with between £4,900 and £5,175 for a full set MK2.

What's the view on current pricing?

presumably that would mean they're confident they could get at least £1000 markup on that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    presumably that would mean they're confident they could get at least £1000 markup on that.
    And then some. There’s three on their site at more than £8K. They’ll just be trying to nick one if they can buy at £5K

Craftsman
    I've just been reading this thread thinking wow the prices have come right back to reality I'll start looking for a late 16570 polar to go with my 114270. I couldn't see anything like the prices mentioned anywhere, then I noticed the dates!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Little bump. Are things returning to normal? I sold a 214270 for £4k before the madness but wouldn't mind another, just not for current pricing.

I put a sell request into WF to try and guage the market and they came back with between £4,900 and £5,175 for a full set MK2.

What's the view on current pricing?
    Around £7500, and £8k+ from a dealer.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th August 2022 at 19:34.

I would expect £7.3 - 7.7k if buying from a dealer.

If selling to a dealer then around £5 - 5.5k.

Privately somewhere in the middle at £6.5k.

How about a 14270, no box or papers but proven genuine...?

Worn but not abused condition, would polish up lovely

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Gutted I sold my 214270 on here. The biggest watch mistake on my life (hey, there are bigger mistakes we can make eh?). I would love another. I had my name down at the AD and then Rolex discontinued it. Bugger.

Ok maybe one to keep an eye on then. Regret selling mine but I can't stomach paying an extra 3.5k to edit undo my mistake as I sold mine for 4k.

Journeyman
    I’ve just been hoping these hit 7-8k usd for a full set but probably won’t happen

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Gutted I sold my 214270 on here. The biggest watch mistake on my life (hey, there are bigger mistakes we can make eh?). I would love another. I had my name down at the AD and then Rolex discontinued it. Bugger.
    My biggest regret was selling my mint ceramic Sub on here at £4,300, when it retailed at £5,000.

I sold it ‘in the spirit of the forum’, as a member here was kind enough to pick it up in duty free for me at that price, at an airport.
    Last edited by Antony23; 14th August 2022 at 23:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Around £7500, and £8k+ from a dealer.
    I think I recently bought your old 214270 from Greg (Craizeehair) for around that price. Not cheap, but it's a lovely little watch & one I've wanted for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    I think I recently bought your old 214270 from Greg (Craizeehair) for around that price. Not cheap, but it's a lovely little watch & one I've wanted for ages.
    Yes, fully serviced too, and part of a convoluted trade I managed for a 36mm. I’d have liked to have them both, as they’re each perfect in their own way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    That post right there has helped me decide not to sell mine which I was seriously contemplating. It was the watch that got me into the hobby in the first place, but I just find the 36mm more agreeable now, I was considering letting it go but 'the biggest mistake' bit has made me park those thoughts.