closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sonos sub, should i?

Master

Sonos sub, should i?

I have a playbar and two play ones in my tv room currently. Room is circa 5.5m x 4.5m give or take.

I live in an end of terrace, the tv and playbar are on the adjoining wall with next door and the play ones are at the gable end. i was planning on having the sub on the ground at this end.

sonos are doing some money off now and it would complete the set, but is it overkill ?

Master
    I think it would turn it into a pretty impressive sound system! Is a new build ? If it is an old house with thicker walls you might get away with it.

I am very tempted too, but i only have a bean plus ones, so it might be overkill.

I am hopeful that a smaller sub will be offered. This is quite old now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    No it’s not overkill- can you ever have enough quality sound and volume? I’m sure you’ll notice a difference, from subtle differences when watching tv to depth when you blast out a film.

Ian

ignore--misread the question!

I’ve sold my soul to Sonos.

Have the play bar, the sub and 2 x Sonos 1’s for my TV set up plus three other 1’s dotted around the house.

The app used to be glitchy as hell and I used to get the hump with it constantly - intermittent connection issues etc.

But the last few SW updates seem to have made it much more stable.

I’m in an end of terrace Victorian house - TV room is the basement - whilst I wouldn’t say it’s overkill the sound quality is incredible but if you crank it then the windows on the top floor shake when watching an action movie.

Bass anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    No it’s not overkill- can you ever have enough quality sound and volume? I’m sure you’ll notice a difference, from subtle differences when watching tv to depth when you blast out a film.

Ian
    This.

Go for it, you can control the output. 👍

Yes do it! Makes a massive difference, even at lower volumes. It really fills out the sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes do it! Makes a massive difference, even at lower volumes. It really fills out the sound.

Craftsman
    Bought one last year to go with my playbar, really impressed

Rod, I’ve got a blue sound power node and some B&W floor speakers. I was considering switching over to some Sonos gear and a sub. Have you had many clients that have done that and been happy with the results.
    Thanks
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Rod, I’ve got a blue sound power node and some B&W floor speakers. I was considering switching over to some Sonos gear and a sub. Have you had many clients that have done that and been happy with the results.
    Thanks
    Andy
    I said in a previous thread that I'd been to see a chap near Sheffield who was selling a REL Strata subwoofer.
    He had a high end B&W system (Front, rear, and centre) that he was also selling driven by an Arcam A/V amplifier because he wanted to go the Sonos route.
    He invited me to listen to the Sonos system and I must say, it was pretty impressive. I certainly could have lived with it, so yes, I think you will be quite happy. The sub really nailed the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I said in a previous thread that I'd been to see a chap near Sheffield who was selling a REL Strata subwoofer.
    He had a high end B&W system (Front, rear, and centre) that he was also selling driven by an Arcam A/V amplifier because he wanted to go the Sonos route.
    He invited me to listen to the Sonos system and I must say, it was pretty impressive. I certainly could have lived with it, so yes, I think you will be quite happy. The sub really nailed the sound.
    Haha that could of been me. B&W system with an old trusted Arcam AVR300.
    As soon as we are let out I’ll get a demo
    Thanks for the reply

Master
    I've just added a BK XLS200 to my system and even though not the biggest/best sub it makes such a difference. My Monitor Audio speakers can now get on with doing mid and high end while the sub manages the lower end. Would definitely recommend getting a sub but make sure you take time getting the placement and setup right👍

Master
    To a workable degree on placement. My ideal location happens to be right in the pathway from one side of the lounge to the other. Wrong part of the forum to quote my wife when she saw it being tested there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If you are not sure about the Sub don’t listen to it. You’ll definitely buy it. Can’t tell you how well it fills in the music and TV sound.

You swines.

Just read this thread and gone and bought one.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Never enough depth to be had. Makes a huge difference, not a patch on my home cinema sub but really fills in the missing elements nicely.

Our sonos sub sort of fills the front / middle of the house as we have a Sonos through the zeppelin towards the rear which helps fill some bass for the play1 speakers.

These little buggers seem to mulitiply, remember when we only had 2!

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above - it's not top end hifi but it makes a huge difference to the sound. I replaced my Arcam/Monitor Audio system with Sonos and don't regret buying one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You swines.

Just read this thread and gone and bought one.
    Update.
    Now installed and I’m thoroughly impressed with it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb1977 View Post
    I’ve sold my soul to Sonos.

Have the play bar, the sub and 2 x Sonos 1’s for my TV set up plus three other 1’s dotted around the house.

The app used to be glitchy as hell and I used click speed test to get the hump with it constantly - intermittent connection issues etc.

But the last few SW updates seem to have made it much more stable.

I’m in an end of terrace Victorian house - TV room is the basement - whilst I wouldn’t say it’s overkill the sound quality is incredible but if you crank it then the windows auto clicker on the top floor shake when watching an action movie.

Bass anyone?
    I’m sure you’ll notice a difference, from subtle differences when watching tv to depth when you blast out a film.
    Last edited by Crisporld; 6th May 2020 at 05:54. Reason: spelling

Master
    Supposed to be a new Playbar and Sub announced on Weds. Sub is maybe a cheaper model. I doubt the Playbar will be if the Atmos support is true