closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Van Der Valk

Van Der Valk

Anyone watching this new version on ITV ?

I can just about remember the original version, but this new one just sounds like a bunch of Essex' finest dropped into Amsterdam with Dutch police ranks.

Thoughts, comments, indignant remarks ?

Really odd choice. Can't say I'm impressed so far...

There's some bonny women in it, but I haven't spotted any watches so far.

I’m watching it now, although I thought Marc Warren was a strange choice as a replacement for Barry Foster. Nothing I’ve seen so far has changed my mind.

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    Just finished watching, and have to say it just felt odd.

Not just Warren, but the whole thing felt weird, like a mismatch of parts all round.

Might get used to it, but probably not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Just finished watching, and have to say it just felt odd.

Not just Warren, but the whole thing felt weird, like a mismatch of parts all round.

Might get used to it, but probably not.
    This exactly. I'm not hopeful though.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I thought it was so slow and down out they it was nearly going backwards, should have been one hour.
    And they changed the theme tune

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I’m watching it now, although I thought Marc Warren was a strange choice as a replacement for Barry Foster. Nothing I’ve seen so far has changed my mind.

Cheers,

Plug
    He's not a replacement in that sense- the company behind it have the rights to the *books* and IP in there not the series - it's not a remake of the previous show.

The outstanding memory for me from the original show was the mesmerisingly beautiful Joannah Dunham, an actress who deserved more recognition than she received while she was alive.

Master
    Pretty poor to be honest...........Essex in Amsterdam. Would be better re running the original series.

This has just reminded me of the theme tune to the original, not heard for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8t3jA-krc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Pretty poor to be honest...........Essex in Amsterdam. Would be better re running the original series.
    If you're missing the original, TPTV is currently showing it on Friday nights.

I commented to my wife that Marc Warren was dressed like a teenager, and looked like one in the long shots - she then googled him and to my amazement he’s 53!
    I also wondered why Amsterdam was full of Cockneys, and his fellow female detective was the same ‘hot girl with sharp haircut and moody looks’ you get in just about every European police drama. Might have been better at an hour not two tbh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I watched it and it was okay - nothing gripping but okay. If life was like it was a few weeks ago I doubt I’d have given it a go, but where we are today it filled a gap.

I did find true accents odd to begin with but then got over that - would have been strange a load of actors trying to sound Dutch, especially the main star who I remember from the grifter (can’t remember the name) series.

I just thought Warren was miscast TBH. Clearly ITV have tried to modernise the old series but I’m not sure it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I watched it and it was okay - nothing gripping but okay. If life was like it was a few weeks ago I doubt I’d have given it a go, but where we are today it filled a gap.

I did find true accents odd to begin with but then got over that - would have been strange a load of actors trying to sound Dutch, especially the main star who I remember from the grifter (can’t remember the name) series.
    Exactly how I felt. I have found memories of the series from last millennium but tolerated this as "something else". It passed a couple of hours.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Found it thank you.

It must be 40 years since I last watched an episode, but seeing those three words in a thread title has put the theme tune on repeat in my head!

Master
    Wow that original theme tune reminds me of growing up!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Haven’t watched it yet but I really liked the original which I am now rewatching on Talking Pictures.

Most reviews mention that Marc Warren looks far too young for the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The original has not aged well ☹

Possibly a shame they called it Van Der Valk, but then there must be two generations who don't remember the original series.

I must admit, aside from the theme tune and Barry Foster being the star, I don't recall much about it.

On the new series, it didn't really feel slick and finished, as if the actors hadn't really developed any chemistry, but it was a reasonable murder mystery thing and I'll watch the next to see if the actors start to work together more fluidly.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Well, I thought it was... reasonable. Some good totty too, so worth another watch.