closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WiFi signal booster

WiFi signal booster

Looking for a simple plug & play signal booster.
    Do not want to run wires & cables if at all possible.
    Ideally black if possible?
    Any recommendations please?
    Cheers

BT whole home would be worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Looking for a simple plug & play signal booster.
    Do not want to run wires & cables if at all possible.
    Ideally black if possible?
    Any recommendations please?
    Cheers
    What type of gear is this boosting from? EG - an ISP provided router?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have signed up for the BT total Wi-fi thing. Hub plus 2 Discs located around the place and now I have full strength Wi-fi everywhere including my garage and outbuilding.

It's not black but I bought this in the first week of 'lockdown'.

Until then I'd never had a problem working from home but found I was struggling with Skype/Teams/Zoom in the afternoons as soon as everyone else was working from home (and a houseful of teenagers).

The WiFi extender kit sorted everything out. It plugs into the mains near my router (to which it's connected by ethernet) with the sender unit plugged into the mains next to where I work. For now I've got it set up with a different ID so only my work computer can access it. When this is all over it will move upstairs and just replicate the main house WiFi outside my son's room as he does seem to be in a blackspot - he's about as far from the router as possible - and I'm told teenage boys need good wifi.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0746HVPMC

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    What type of gear is this boosting from? EG - an ISP provided router?
    A Plusnet Router..
    Works fine when near the router...when at the back of the house less so.

I use the BT whole home thing too and it’s good, the house and gardens are totally covered now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    A Plusnet Router..
    Works fine when near the router...when at the back of the house less so.
    I'm with plusnet - basically that router is a waste of time - you would be better off buying a better router that you would have for years regardless of what ISP you are with than wasting money on boosters.

I plugged in a Tenda Nova 3 at home -
    Works brilliantly and the house is covered including the garden

I have an Orbi mesh system which is seamless. No matter which system you go for you will want to use Ethernet backhaul it if possible - will make the world of difference.

The missus got us a linksys one recently. In the first few weeks of lockdown she used to have trouble with the connection, especially with Teams meetings in the afternoon. This is also because the router has to be on one corner of the house, close to the fibre connection. No problems since we installed the extender.

The only niggle I have is that now there are 2 wifi signals and we'd have to manually change it if we were on the other side of the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    The missus got us a linksys one recently. In the first few weeks of lockdown she used to have trouble with the connection, especially with Teams meetings in the afternoon. This is also because the router has to be on one corner of the house, close to the fibre connection. No problems since we installed the extender.

The only niggle I have is that now there are 2 wifi signals and we'd have to manually change it if we were on the other side of the flat.
    Might be worth checking the instructions - the one I have can be set up to either have a separate ID or to extend the range using the existing ID. As it happens it suits me to have a separate ID as I can dedicate it to my work laptop. Mine isn't a Linksys but I'd be surprised if this wasn't a common feature.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Might be worth checking the instructions - the one I have can be set up to either have a separate ID or to extend the range using the existing ID. As it happens it suits me to have a separate ID as I can dedicate it to my work laptop. Mine isn't a Linksys but I'd be surprised if this wasn't a common feature.
    Cheers. Might have another look. We did rush the set up a bit since we wanted it up and running that same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Cheers. Might have another look. We did rush the set up a bit since we wanted it up and running that same day.
    I have Linksys too and yes you can do this if you login as admin

Master
    folks those plug in things arent the best.

either get a mesh system or if you have network points in other locations put another access point in.

Used Devolo for a few years ……..works flawlessly & not too expensive

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    folks those plug in things arent the best.
    either get a mesh system or if you have network points in other locations put another access point in.
    You're almost certainly right but the one I got cost 40 quid, was easy to set up and has worked fine.
    I guess it depends if the problem justifies the extra investment.

Journeyman
    I recently installed a TP-Link Powerline extender. No complaints - Easy to set up and the speed is broadly similar to the main router. I’m using the same SSID and our devices swap to and from the extended network seamlessly.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...l-wpa4220-kit/
    Last edited by SlipperySam; 27th April 2020 at 15:58.

prittstick and some foil on the back of the antennae or if you want to get more adventurous: https://hackaday.com/2019/08/01/boos...with-cookware/

used this in the past with great results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=windsurfer+antenna
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 27th April 2020 at 16:15.

We have being using Devolo Deco mesh system for nearly two years. Works really well, plus it gives you the option to have the kids of profiles along with bed time and usage restrictions on all devices. That saves lots of arguments when they say they have only been on for an hour and that stats show it’s 6 and they automatically get cut off.

We have a long think house with lots of brick and it works really well with only one ssid showing. Also extends about 80 feet down to the summer house with no problems.

All of this runs off a Sky Q router.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I use tplink deco m5 (i think) and they're great.
    We had some devolo powerline ones before and they were crap.
    I've got 1 in the front room, 1 in the kids bedroom, 1 in the loft and 1 in my office which is 10m from the house. I get around 20mb in my office which is a massive improvement to the power line I had in there which was giving me a bout 5mb.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I found all the extender systems terrible, just seems to extend an already weak signal.

I do have a spare Google WiFi three node system (seamless mesh WiFi) that has barely been used. I have it packaged up ready to send out at request of another member who pulled out at the last minute. Send me a PM if you might be interested.

Blog Entries
    Anyone any experience with this model ?
    TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System Pack of 3 - £134.99 on Amazon

It seems well reviewed - & I'd prefer one that just plugs into the existing hub (rather than replace it)

We have a 4 bed semi - & wifi is patchy at the front of the house (Virgin hub is at the rear in my study)
    I have powerline adaptors to an apple air express in the lounge (same SSID) - but that doesn't reach upstairs.

So daughter is claiming she cannot work in her bedroom...
    - so I was thinking this 3 pack would help with a consistent signal across the house ... & get her out of the way

Anyone any experience with this model / alternative suggestions ?

z

I’ve got the m5 version, fitted it last year, awesome is all I can say. Years of using extenders etc, patchy WiFi all gone

Can’t recommend them enough

Last time this came up I posted I couldn’t believe how well this works for twenty quid:

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-esse...8159-CM40.html

Just bought one of these to boost my Virgin WiFi to the loft. For the money it’s brilliant as speeds in the dead area are flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Another vote for the BT whole home disc system. I have 3 discs and it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    Just bought one of these to boost my Virgin WiFi to the loft. For the money it’s brilliant as speeds in the dead area are flying.

I’ve just installed the app as well and it’s very easy to use...makes it easier to place the unit in the best place to boost the signal.

Master
    I’ve just installed a really cheap mesh set up at £29 delivered
    It’s only 2 nodes but it’s been great - I’m in a townhouse with thick walls - one node at the front door and one at the back middle floor of the house . I’m getting rock steady signal everywhere - even 40ft into the back garden . Speed seems decent enough with a consistent 15 mbps in the garden .
    Recommend it thoroughly at the price - it’s not the latest or greatest but fine for a me , and I suspect at lot of people’s, needs .

https://ao.com/product/halos32pack-t...75433-340.aspx

Journeyman

Edimax AV500 Wi-Fi Extender

Hi

I have put in the above few weeks ago to help in working from the 'shed' at bottom of garden (35-40m away from the (Virgin) Router and 2 large trees in between). I open up plans/drawings/documents (of many pages).

Seems to work well enough for me through the mains wiring, even though on a separate circuit.

Only the one issue in several weeks where needed resetting.

L-K

I’ve got the m5 for most of the house and and m4 in the summer house. All work fine, excellent bit of kit.

We have set up profiles for the children so you can put daily and bed time limits on them. Saves a regiments around I’ve only been on for an hour when it clearly shows 6 hours of Xbox!!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Anyone any experience with this model ?
    TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System Pack of 3 - £134.99 on Amazon

It seems well reviewed - & I'd prefer one that just plugs into the existing hub (rather than replace it)

We have a 4 bed semi - & wifi is patchy at the front of the house (Virgin hub is at the rear in my study)
    I have powerline adaptors to an apple air express in the lounge (same SSID) - but that doesn't reach upstairs.

So daughter is claiming she cannot work in her bedroom...
    - so I was thinking this 3 pack would help with a consistent signal across the house ... & get her out of the way

Anyone any experience with this model / alternative suggestions ?

z

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Google Nest Wifi working well for me now

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I plugged in a Tenda Nova 3 at home -
    Works brilliantly and the house is covered including the garden
    Got this recently from Curry's , home delivery, and works really well for us.
    Mick

Blog Entries
    Just to update - the TP-Link Deco M4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System Pack of 3 - £134.99 on Amazon ?

It arrived yesterday - setup was simple & took about 20 min for all 3 units via table based app.

Wifi is no longer patchy & is strong all over the house.

Thanks for the feedback & recommendations - I'd recommend it too

z