closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any air conditioning experts on the forum

Any air conditioning experts on the forum

I need a sounding board from someone who how’s what can and can’t be done, is there a way suck air out of a room? Looking at dental surgery it looks like between patients there may be a need to vent the room for a set amount of time between patients. I just wondered if there was a way to speed this up by flicking a switch and have the air sucked out?

Many thanks.

Master
    Not an aircon problem. Big fan on suck high on one side of the room, a vent or another fan on blow low on the other side. Difficult to guarantee that all the air is replaced and anyway the sucked in air could well be contaminated.

As an ex refrigeration engineer I can agree that air con is not the solution that would solve this, You need a high volume extraction fan similar to one above an oven, No idea how you do that on a large scale but its not going to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Not an aircon problem. Big fan on suck high on one side of the room, a vent or another fan on blow low on the other side. Difficult to guarantee that all the air is replaced and anyway the sucked in air could well be contaminated.
    Sucked in should be no more contaminated than ‘outside’ air.

The sucked out and expelled air could be classed as contaminated but I guess that would be over come by where the vent was positioned.

Ok so not an air con problem but I thought they’d have an idea about air/volume movement.

Journeyman
    Interesting to see this thread as have just had this very topic come up at work with my partners. Our practice is fully A/C with almost every room having no opening windows. We currently see “dirty” patients at one end of a long corridor....and “clean” at the other end....both ends have their own door to outside.
    The problem is the rooms in between and the space patients will have to move through to get to them. Discussion re changing to a US style system where patients go to a room....GP in to see they leave room cleaned GP moves on to next room etc. Need to limit pt movements if possible. Negative pressure or large suction fans will be almost impossible to install without MAJOR work and a lot of $.
    Be interesting to see the outcome of the thread question as dentists certainly at risk....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think what you might be a describing is Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery type system. I'm putting one in our new build. It basically changes the air in rooms for tightly sealed homes (like a house breathing almost). Not overly expensive, but not overly quick on extraction and reventilation either. Maybe they do super powerful versions, so worth asking I guess ?
    I think what you need is a Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery type system. I'm putting one in our new build. It basically changes the air in rooms for tightly sealed homes (like a house breathing almost). Not overly expensive, but not overly quick on extraction and reventilation either. Maybe they do super powerful versions, so worth asking I guess ?

We have one in our house. It works well and you do know when it’s not on. For example we never get condensation on the windows. It drains to a big tub that I dump out every once and a while. However I’m sure it takes hours to completely replenish a house full of air and likely not able to do what you are asking for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sucked in should be no more contaminated than ‘outside’ air.
    But outside air could be deadly if someone with C19 walking past the vent had a really good hack.

To me this smacks of trying to control the uncontrollable. Short of processing the incoming air (UV, heat, ???) or having the inlet very high (how hight does it need to be?) there is still a risk though as Kingstepper was, I think, saying, having good airflow from outside is better than nothing but this is what your normal AC does unless it's on recirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    But outside air could be deadly if someone with C19 walking past the vent had a really good hack.

To me this smacks of trying to control the uncontrollable. Short of processing the incoming air (UV, heat, ???) or having the inlet very high (how hight does it need to be?) there is still a risk though as Kingstepper was, I think, saying, having good airflow from outside is better than nothing but this is what your normal AC does unless it's on recirc.
    Suggesting that the contamination in inlet air is negligible otherwise we wouldn’t go outside, keep windows shut etc. Hardly likely someone will cough into inlet, put above head height, on own property, grill around, will soon be diluted.