closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf - range finders?

Golf - range finders?

In this lockdown period I've been dreaming of playing golf. Most of my kit is around 25 - 30 years old and I don't play very often (once a year max). But the last time I played I noticed other players using different range finders to work out the distance. Very unlike the guesswork that I'd been used to. Almost cheating, really. So I reckon I definitely need something like that.

So - golfers out there - is it better to go with one of those GPS watches? Or one of those hand-held laser things?

And will cheap ones do, or are they money down the drain?

Ta in advance.

Craftsman
    garmin s60 watch....no contest

Master
    GolfLogix app.

Golfshot is my go to app. It links to the Apple Watch if you have one. Cant be used in competitions but my mates and I use it!

For me, I would consider a laser such as a bushnell that provides a greater level of accuracy

I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to mobile phones - I've got an old thing that can't download apps.

So I guess it'll be between a watch and a hand-held laser. Is a laser more accurate?

A laser is more accurate to gaining the precise distance to a pin or a hazard, such as a bunker or water

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I’d go for a watch, and if you get a garmin you can use it for other sports. Unless you need to know the distance to the pin within 1yd then a watch is fine.

If you do need to know the exact yardage then ask your caddie to stride it out!!!!

If you are only going to play once or twice a year it is difficult to justify either a watch or a rangefinder.

I would have thought a free phone app would be fine, or if you don't get on with smart phones then maybe get a second hand Garmin watch on ebay, something like that an S2 should be about £50.00
    There are some decent cheap lasers out there, I bought one for £140.00 which performs as well as my mates Bushnell.

Google 'EasyGreen 1300 Laser Rangefinder'

Master
    The basic rule tends to be single handicappers benefit more from a laser, whereas a watch is sufficient for 10+. This is primarily because better golfers tend to want to know the distances to specific objects and be able to use that info more often.
    A laser is a bit more faff but if you are likely to want more distance information then it's the way to go. In reality both do the job well enough, especially if you largely play only one course as you get to know the distances really well, whereas if you play a lot of away courses then a laser can give you detail a watch wouldn't.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

This has just been released...very expensive and I’m not suggesting it’s suitable for what you need but it’s an interesting device.
    Probably be out of date by the time my course reopens

https://golficity.com/spotted-garmin...2-rangefinder/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Sounds like an good way to take the fun out of the game

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Sounds like an good way to take the fun out of the game
    Golf noun
    UK ɡɒlf/ US ɡɑːlf/

A good walk, spoilt.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 25th April 2020 at 22:12.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wind speed and direction, and slope features!
    I love the way that they stuff these things full of features that you are not allowed to use in the monthly medal or stableford at the club.
    I know that you can turn the features off but I have heard of clubs banning them because they can't tell if those features have been turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    This has just been released...very expensive and I’m not suggesting it’s suitable for what you need but it’s an interesting device.
    Probably be out of date by the time my course reopens

https://golficity.com/spotted-garmin...2-rangefinder/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Golf noun
    UK /??lf/ US /???lf/

A good walk, spoilt.
    Ouch!

I tried Arccos sensors in my clubs and it was excellent but my phone battery died after 8/9holes, apparently they have produced a gizmo that means you no longer need your mobile phone. I didnt subscribe after the trial, it's another option though

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Wind speed and direction, and slope features!
    I love the way that they stuff these things full of features that you are not allowed to use in the monthly medal or stableford at the club.
    I know that you can turn the features off but I have heard of clubs banning them because they can't tell if those features have been turned off!
    Must admit I never even realised that those features weren’t allowed in club competitions...learn something every day

Lots of things work well for lots of people, so it's hard to give a recommendation that will work for everyone.

I use the golfpadGPS app. It has every course in it. I track each shot so I know my distances perfectly. The app adapts and gives club recommendations too based on what is learned about you. You can view the hole if you think there's hidden danger. It's saved me many times.

I've tracked every shot I've got for years in it and can relook at any cost or hole I need to. It also tells you where you need to improve and where you're losing shots.

However, to I also use a Bushnell range finder. It's many years old and just does distance, but once I get with 150 I want to know the exact distance to the flag and the GPS systems just guesses based on where the front is or where the pin was one day.

Master
    These kind of devices don't benefit a lot of golfers as many do not have a realistic idea of how far they hit each club and also do not have any kind of consistency either. Most clubs have some kind of basic yardage markers or a course planner and they are fine for most.

A low handicap golfer will use both GPS and a laser. A Laser is the most accurate for taking measurements to the pin, but there are times when you have a blind shot and no direct sight of the pin which a laser cannot help with. GPS can often be more useful off the tee too, with information about how far it is to a water hazard or to carry a bunker. You can only "laser" a distance where you have something that is elevated and can aim the laser at.

OP I'd spend your money upgrading your clubs, as you will get far more benefit from the technological advances in clubs over 25 years than you will knowing a precise yardage.

I bought a couple of these off EBay a year or so ago for me and the missus, second hand as people tend to upgrade.
    For the money they are great for us average golfers.

I'd been using the Arccos sensors for a few months prior to lockdown and they've been brilliant. They are a little heavy on phone battery and you do have to have your phone in your front pocket (although I understand you can use an Apple Watch instead but I haven't tried that yet), but otherwise the data they provide is amazing.

They provide a real yardage for all your clubs as best, average and 'smart' ranges. Once you've played 5 or so rounds it'll start suggesting strategies for each hole depending on how far and where you tend to hit the ball. The GPS element will tell you how far the front, middle and back of the green is while you're on the course and once you're back home you can review how well you did and your handicap (including handicap for driving, approach, sand, putting etc so you can easily see where you need to work).

If you're a data junkie like me then it's invaluable and on the course it isn't too intrusive.

Craftsman
    A phone app would make more sense until you know that you're going to be playing regularly.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    garmin s60 watch....no contest
    I disagree, I used to use a watch and got rid of it after buying a range finder. I find it much easier to select a club/shot based on distance to hazards etc, i would say it was partly what helped me get down do single figures.

I have a Voicecaddie, which I clip to my bag or hat. Press it once and it “tells” you yardage to the centre of the green. Press it twice and it will “tell” you your yardage to the front and back of the green. It doesn’t tell you yardage to hazards, etc, but does “tell” you which hole you are playing when you walk onto the tee.

Its pre-programmed with about 40k courses and is idiot proof. Perfect

Range finders are great if to can fully control your shot distance (to within a couple of meters) with every club in the bag. GPS watches and handhelds are fine, but can be a bit of faff if it’s raining, or it’s sunny.

Phone Apps are ok if it’s not raining however you get a 2 shot penalty at my club if your phones goes off whilst on the course.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Many thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm probably slightly more confused now, ha! Really I should wait until courses are open again, then try out things things in the flesh. Maybe even see if modern irons are an improvement on my 1990 variety. In this state of boredom, though, it's hard to stop browsing on ebay for 2nd-hand range finders...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    you get a 2 shot penalty at my club if your phones goes off whilst on the course.
    That is a good idea, most at my club are pretty good at having phone on silent etc, but there are a few who seem to regard the course as an extension of the office.

Craftsman
    I still rely on my eyes and whatever distance info is on the course, 150 yard markers, distances on sprinkler heads etc etc.

Don't rely on the tech blind if you do get something. Played with a guy once who was 40 yards inside the 150 marker, and his GPS watch told him he had 160 yards to the pin,so he pulled out his 6 iron and duly airmailed the green by 50 yards.

On the few occasions I've borrowed one from a playing partner, I've always struggled with being able to hold the laser devices still enough for them to lock on to whatever it is you're pointing it at ... did have a Garmin S1 watch, which worked fine for "front, middle, back" yardages until the strap broke (that model it was integral to the case, so not replaceable). At my 10-12 handicap level that was all the info I really needed to validate what club I'd decided to hit.

Having said all that, I have had the Garmin S10 and the PeakPulse 6pro rangefinder in my amazon basket for a few months now ... :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I still rely on my eyes and whatever distance info is on the course, 150 yard markers, distances on sprinkler heads etc etc.
    Fwiw I bought a laser after testing my perceived yardages against the actual distances provided by playing partners using lasers/watches. I was often 5-10yds out which is getting on for a club. Knowing the actual distances removes that uncertainty and is one less thing to worry about.

I'd echo the improvement in clubs, especially game improvement irons, but would suggest that if you're serious about the game then getting fitted for irons is a must. If the shaft (engine) of the club doesn't suit your swing then you're fighting against it, rather than it helping you. Equally, lessons might be a better investment than both if you're a high handicapper.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Update. Bought a "golf scope" monocular thing. Looks a bit like this:

Cost about £7.

You need to have the steady hands of a bomb defuser. It gives me the yardage with about a 50-yard leeway/tolerance. Don't think it'll get too much use.

Craftsman
    Anyone got any experience of the cheap one that Amazon are selling ?

PeakPulse 6pro ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...TSZYQ3FX&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Anyone got any experience of the cheap one that Amazon are selling ?

PeakPulse 6pro ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...TSZYQ3FX&psc=1
    I've found it listed at number 13 on this website:

https://theleftrough.com/best-golf-rangefinder/

It's probably about a million times better than my monocular thing.