closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Learning to love my Seiko Divers (straps)

Learning to love my Seiko Divers (straps)

I own 3 of Seiko’s dive watch icons, the SKX007, the 779 Black Monster and 781 Orange Monster.

The Orange Monster came on the excellent bracelet, and has been worn in rotation. The other two have languished in the watch box, I think because the straps weren’t right. Both came on default Seiko rubber, which is good for diving, but not nice for daily wear.

So I tried Nylon, NATO wasn’t for me, the much vaunted Eulit Perlon (Palma)was pretty stiff and uncomfortable, and the least bad option ended up being 3 ring Zulus, but not enough to get the watches back in rotation.

The Monster was the easiest fix, source the excellent bracelet that I like to much on its orange sibling. These are still available, but being a bit obsessional I went to eBay for an almost NOS bracelet with an end link code that matched the 2008 watch.

The SKX007, what to do? There are bracelets, but I never saw it as a bracelet watch. I like the look of JPM vintage leather, but not for this style of watch. I did get a Geckota Nylon Sport B-2, but that started to disintegrate after contact with sand and water. I gave it some more thought recently, and an “Uncle Seiko” Tropic was delivered yesterday. It’s early days, but it looks great, suits the look of the watch, and is very comfortable. I think this is what was needed to get an icon out of my watch box, and back on my wrist.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of Uncle Seikos, in particular the waffle strap for the 007. NATOs didn't seem to work for me and the Seiko supplied strap was, errr, functional. Settled on the US waffle after a few years of dithering. Turned the watch into a daily wearer :)

I too was at a bit of a loss when it came to wearing my SKX007. I think they wear best on the original Jubilee bracelet but Uncle Seiko’s repro GL831 rubber strap is a revelation. It is far softer than the original plastic straps and comes in two lengths as well as 20mm and 22mm configurations. After a couple of days wearing, they become extremely comfortable. Frankly, I’m surprised they haven’t been mentioned more often.

TF waffle mm300

The Uncle Seiko tropic looks good. The Time Factors Waffle was the best one that I have found.

I think that waffle straps suit the MM300 very well indeed

Dave

I can empathise with this. A strap can sideline a watch for me too as evidenced by the mountain of straps I have in a box. I found it particularly difficult to find a combo on the SKX and variants which is surprising given how many are out there on pretty much anything you can think of. These are three that for me at least are absolute killers on the SKX and variants from a comfort and practicality point of view, all sourced from WatchGeko but available elsewhere.

Marine Nationale style

Can't find it on Watch Geko anymore but you have Erika's Originals - which this isn't - and loads of imitators

Rubber NATO

https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...trap-bonetto-1

Finally, rubber on a clasp. No pictures of this but have had on on another watch constantly for 3 years and it's the most comfortable and practical strap I have ever used for a daily wearer that gets dirty, wet etc but that doesn't have a suitable bracelet option.

https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...er-watch-strap

I really like the standard waffle on the MM300, saying that I have shaped it in boiling water to suit my wrist shape, when new it’s quite uncomfortable..

Maybe I need to try an Uncle Seiko as they sound nice and soft?

Nice pictures here. So many straps fit these watches! I have also boiled the Seiko straps at one point to curve them. Later I bought Bonetto straps that look similar but are very comfortable and don’t attract lint.

Recently ordered a tropic strap (in 20mm though for another watch). I looked at uncle Seiko and Bonetto (watchgecko) and the latter is on the way. Both get great reviews, the Bonetto is supposedly a bit more flexible. Hope to get it soon.

One of the joys of this hobby, hunting for straps and these watches really are perfect candidates.

I love mine on a lumpy with curved endlinks. Feels very ...german.

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I really like the standard waffle on the MM300, saying that I have shaped it in boiling water to suit my wrist shape, when new it’s quite uncomfortable..

Maybe I need to try an Uncle Seiko as they sound nice and soft?

I have the V2 Uncle seiko waffle and it is very comfortable. I haven't needed to soak it. Highly recommended.