closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How quickly do you ding a new watch?

How quickly do you ding a new watch?

As in put a mark on it, scratch or something noticeable? Not irreparable damage or anything horrendous - but a mark enough for you to say “bloody hell, I’ve marked that already...”

I can’t do a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Record for me is about an hour. Years back I bought a new LV sub for the huge sum of £3030! An hour later my dad dropped it into his dinner plate while having a look at it. Only a small ding but god it hurt!

Master
    In my experience either immediately or never.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I’m the same. Even though my bb 58 did go unmarked quite a bit longer than is usual. My GS on the other hand was a scratch magnet from day 1!

Inversely proportional to how much I try not too!

The first one is always a killer, 3rd is a bit meh oh well its part of the character. Embrace Wabi Sabi!

Whenever it happens I don’t baby my watches and wear them for the most part for whatever my day throws at me.

Not that quickly for the watch case fortunately. In fact, sometimes my diving watch bezels would take a bite out of a table corner or a wall However I do scratch bracelets pretty quickly. Dangers of desk-diving.

My biggest ding has been when my PRS-22 GMT decided to escape and jump off the gym locker. Even after repairs the mechanism and crown were never the same.
    I've always been a lot more careful with my watches when putting them away since then.

Don't actually know.

I need reading glasses so unless I put them on to examine a watch I have no idea how or when the marks got there. Have to say I don't care either. Mind you I examine new purchases minutely when buying and haggle over the tiniest mark on them.

BTW once you get to the happy state of needing glasses don't wear them unless it's essential to the task at hand.
    Otherwise clean sinks will suddenly look dirty, ditto most other things and dust just shows up out of nowhere!

I managed to ding my vintage Day-Date taking out of the box! I dropped it and it landed on the edge of the metal base of my office chair. Thankfully nothing significant since then.

Craftsman
    For a watch worn most days, I reckon about a month before an irritating mark will appear and always from nowhere, a complete mystery.

I even had a chip appear in a Crystal during a work day in the office. Absolutely no idea how as I’m careful with expensive watches.

I Dropped a brand new PRS-10 on the pavement within seconds of taking it out of the box after collection from the post office.

Ding on the case and popped crystal. Eddie sent a brand new crystal F.O.C. This was eight years ago, I still wear the watch every day for manual work and it has always worked perfectly

Master
    It happens to me twice on the day of purchase when I changed straps. Never again....

Depending on how eager I am to change straps or adjust the bracelet with a nail clipper from one day to one week.

BUBI 0_0

Journeyman
    Chipped the bezel and crystal on my Explorer II 2 weeks after getting it. Went on holiday and scrapped in on the bottom of the lagoon type swimming pool.

Craftsman
    Put a nice deep scratch on the clasp of my BB58 the first day I had it. But still continued to baby it a little until I scuffed the lug, bezel and crystal while diving after having it about 4 months. I almost appreciate it more now I’m not afraid to ding it and bash it around a bit. That’s not to say I’ll be needlessly reckless with it, but I’m certainly not afraid to take it anywhere now.

Haha sorry to bump but I was looking for your Tudor bezel swap thread and saw this 30 seconds after seeing your scratched SD43 post!

I do it straight out of the box so I don't have to worry about it - snack it on the side with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Haha sorry to bump but I was looking for your Tudor bezel swap thread and saw this 30 seconds after seeing your scratched SD43 post!
    I did the same!