closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gangs of London

Gangs of London

Watched the first couple of episodes last night - it's very good. Anyone else watching?

Journeyman
    Daily in real life.

Master
    Watched half the first episode and stopped as I was too tired and want to concentrate on it. Looks good so far.

Master
    A bit over the top for me.Watched 2 episodes last night.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched about an hour of episode one, really enjoying it but then realised it was 1am. I don’t think Mrs H will be a fan so I will have to watch it by myself.

50/50 on this so far. Is it just me or do you need the volume on full to hear anything on Sky Atlantic? Was the same when I used to watch the Sopranos, volume on full

I’m definitely going to give this a go. Tony is it as violent as the reviews say?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I’m definitely going to give this a go. Tony is it as violent as the reviews say?
    Yes, very

Saw the 1st bit where the chap was burnt alive.
    But then the mrs came upto bed and started talking so stopped it
    Gonna watch it when I’m on my own. Looks decent

Master
    i have watched the first two hour episode and then episode two.
    it is very violent, almost cartoon like with speeded up bits

otherwise i think it is well filmed

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    50/50 on this so far. Is it just me or do you need the volume on full to hear anything on Sky Atlantic? Was the same when I used to watch the Sopranos, volume on full
    Put the subtitles on? Not as intrusive as you might think

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, very
    I’ll have to warn my wife then

Master
    Just binge watched the entire series.

Very violent, with some very imaginative death scenes and more than a little far fetched but a good bit of escapism.

Only watched the first episode so far. Good, but extremely violent.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

On episode 6 ......bloody hell..haha its like Tarantino and Broccoli decided to do Line of Duty..the choreography in action scenes is remarkable....

50 Cal sniper shot ouch......

Great entertainment, good story but I doubt it's really like that.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Great entertainment, good story but I doubt it's really like that.

Eddie
    Just another day in Borehamwood, Eddie.

Master
    We finished it a couple of days ago. It was very enjoyable and ended fine too, which is not normally the way!

Just another day in Borehamwood, Eddie.
    I lived in Borehamwood in 1974-5 and again in 1987 and don't recall it being like that ;-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I lived in Borehamwood in 1974-5 and again in 1987 and don't recall it being like that ;-)

Eddie
    They still talk about you. In hushed tones, obviously.

Eddie
    Did you never visit the Bull and Tiger?

Master

Ep 3 for me.

On the 3rd episode & i think i'm enjoying it despite having some reservations about Joe Cole in the lead role & some of the storyline.

Overall i think it's quite good, very violent & you can see they've spent a fortune on it. Unconvinced about the head of the family as he comes across as not hard enough for the role, for me. Very impressed with Elliot though.

If you haven't seen them, worth checking out the director's movies - The Raid 1 & 2, violence taken to another level but well done & quite 'inventive' at times.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Did you never visit the Bull and Tiger?
    Lived just down the road, opposite the shops.

Eddie

Master
    Just finished the first episode. It is really rather good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived just down the road, opposite the shops.

Eddie
    It was shut down years ago, after the owner was convicted for running it as a drugs supermarket.

See what I mean?

Grand Master
    I enjoyed Gareth Evans stuff like the Raid, and this series is enjoyable in areas, but to be honest i don't think it really had the plot or ability to stay on point for an entire season.

It was all over the place in terms of plot, most of it just being setups to have some massive cartoon violence type scene, which would be fine in a 90 minute movie, but for a 9 hour season, not so good.

started watching last night. enjoyed it, got through 2 episodes, a little silly in places but will stick with it for the time being

Master
    I can’t wait to finish work tonight to carry on worth it. Wife wasn’t a fan so won’t be the usual binge series when we both watch something.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    On the 3rd episode & i think i'm enjoying it despite having some reservations about Joe Cole in the lead role & some of the storyline.

Overall i think it's quite good, very violent & you can see they've spent a fortune on it. Unconvinced about the head of the family as he comes across as not hard enough for the role, for me. Very impressed with Elliot though.

If you haven't seen them, worth checking out the director's movies - The Raid 1 & 2, violence taken to another level but well done & quite 'inventive' at times.

Yeah, JC just doesn't cut it all for me and that accent is annoying me but apart from that it's a decent gangland romp!

Just finished the series. Certain elements are a little far fetched but a hugely enjoyable watch, all in all

Blog Entries
    Really enjoying it so far.

Master
    Just got to end of episode 7,enjoying it as I only started watching Sunday night.

Really enjoying it but some parts are a bit far fetched.

Colin.

Master
    Very addictive, two episodes Mon & five last night!

Master
    yes i agree a bit farfetched, these chaps seem to be able to take a lot of punishment and their shooting is often off target. it has been the best new thing i have seen in a while though

Blog Entries
    Watched the first one last night and boy it’s going to be good if they can keep this up. Lots of twists to come by the looks.

Pitch

Craftsman
    After all above will give it a watch

Master
    I’ve watched the first few but not sure I can carry on watching it. Sniper blows the heads off numerous people then one of the main characters ends up getting a bullet from the sniper pulled from the his side with a pair of pliers on the kitchen table, hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I’ve watched the first few but not sure I can carry on watching it. Sniper blows the heads off numerous people then one of the main characters ends up getting a bullet from the sniper pulled from the his side with a pair of pliers on the kitchen table, hmm.
    I noticed that as well, but it's surely insufficient reason enough to abandon a very good series. Obviously YMMV.

Grand Master
    I noticed that as well, but it's surely insufficient reason enough to abandon a very good series. Obviously YMMV.

That got me, as did the building coming down with such ease, etc, etc, the reality is that there was no plot and no decent writing, it really was just how do they get to the next fight or battle, i enjoy that stuff, but 9 hours is pushing it!

It's a shame though, they had the budget and ability to do more, can't see a second season, they killed off so many and the reality is, they didn't make any of the characters likable, which is a huge issue with any series like this.

Master
    Re inaccuracies, it really puts me off things when stupid glaringly ridiculous ones appear in stuff that although dramatic fiction is based on real life events.
    Take Our Girl. We enjoyed the first series and my Daughter has been a fan of Michelle Keegan since corrie. I indulged her by sitting through series 3/4 today today particularly as one bit was set in Belize where I did a tour. Admittedly you have to give a bit of leeway and dramatic license to these dramas but watching 'Special forces' (whatever they are) running through the bondoo with no sights on their AR's made me exclaim wtf? Then they accurately 'took out' some bandits with these sightless rifles ffs. Guns are a special interest of mine and it winds me up to see daft errors. If anyone has ever been in an enclosed space when even a small caliber gun is fired you'll know what I mean.

You know that’s how a keen gun enthusiast told Ian Flemming that James Bond should change his gun and he ended with the Walther PPK? Geoffrey Boothroyd even ended up as a character, an expert armurer in Dr. No.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I gave it another go but stopped mid way through episode 7, it just got silly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Re inaccuracies, it really puts me off things when stupid glaringly ridiculous ones appear in stuff that although dramatic fiction is based on real life events.
    Take Our Girl. We enjoyed the first series and my Daughter has been a fan of Michelle Keegan since corrie. I indulged her by sitting through series 3/4 today today particularly as one bit was set in Belize where I did a tour. Admittedly you have to give a bit of leeway and dramatic license to these dramas but watching 'Special forces' (whatever they are) running through the bondoo with no sights on their AR's made me exclaim wtf? Then they accurately 'took out' some bandits with these sightless rifles ffs. Guns are a special interest of mine and it winds me up to see daft errors. If anyone has ever been in an enclosed space when even a small caliber gun is fired you'll know what I mean.
    Pardon..............
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You know that’s how a keen gun enthusiast told Ian Flemming that James Bond should change his gun and he ended with the Walther PPK? Geoffrey Boothroyd even ended up as a character, an expert armurer in Dr. No.
    Yes, I'd forgotten that. Didn't M tell him to change his .25 Beretta to the PPK 7.65 (.32) as the former wasn't considered a 'stopper'? Tbf neither is the Walther lol. He would have been better off with the similar sized but more powerful 9mm Makarov especially with all the Russkies he liked to eliminate. He also used a AK47 in one book, can't remember which. I must read all the books again.

There is a theory that Major Boothroyd is a precursor to “Q”. But yes, the Beretta was a bit too feminine for the character (“a ladies’ gun”). The PPK is a decent choice considering the required discretion, but more often than not the character uses a Walther PP in the films.
    Regarding Ian Fleming, he didn’t know much about guns in general and was all over the place with them, even suggesting that Bond had a cowboy fantasy (a peacemaker hidden under the dashboard of the Bentley).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Just got one episode to go, enjoyable but rather silly, without giving anything away, it’s way too violent for real life, more like a war film with no police in site until the end and then rarer than hens teeth, as usual in most films, no recoil on the guns so they just fire multiple rounds in quick succession like a Hollywood blockbuster, bad guys can’t shoot for shit whilst good guys can’t miss, but I digress, if you like gangster then it is very entertaining and you wont be disappointed

Journeyman
    Watched the first episode last night just looked like an average day in London. Plenty of shootings a stabbing and some violent cockneys.

Two episodes in - I’m hooked

Yes v v violent - but that’s the shock factor I guess

Something to enjoy with a few more episodes today
    #nobloodyhorseracing

Master
    I did enjoy but I always do wonder why professional baddie hitman are always so inaccurate?
    I watched spectre for the first time since the cinema and it has the same issue.

On another annoyance is when they are in the cars and they are not really driving

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think when it comes to series like this there are two kinds - those that play it really real, like The Wire or Mad Men, and those that ask you to suspend belief in order to enjoy. This definitely falls into the latter - but as long as you accept that then it’s an enjoyable show to sit through.

The fight scenes are proper Bourne Identity style, and the gun violence and torture stuff is gratuitous. It takes a while to get your head around who is who as there is such a big network of characters. I wasn’t keen on J Cole is the Sean Wallace role, his accent didn’t fit and he isn’t an authoritarian enough guy to command so much fear and respect. But I guess that is generated more by money and power he’s inherited than anything else.

But it’s deffo worth watching, overall I really enjoyed it.

For me, in this ‘golden age of TV’, with all the series that have come and gone there’s still nothing that tops The Sopranos. Original and best.