closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 5513 Value

Rolex 5513 Value

Just seen Gavbaz’s recent 5513 valuation thread and it’s piqued my interest in the value of the 5513 that I own. I have no intention of selling (though the watch may come in handy as a swap for the last remaining turnip in the veggie aisle if Covid gets us all down to brass tacks), so more just for interest really and to gauge what sort of valuation impact that my service replacement case might have.

The history is that the original case was in very poor condition, so I had Rolex replace this with the correct 44xxxx service replacement case with corresponding paperwork. I also have the original bezel insert and (well worn) bezel which I’m thinking of putting back on the watch. Hands and dial original as far as I know, and bracelet is a replacement 93150. No papers other than the service one, and no box.

Any valuation opinions would be appreciated

Master
    Blog Entries
    50 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    50 quid.
    Been on the sauce?

Craftsman
    Can't say much about the value, but excellent looking watch!

We don't really do how much is my watch worth on here.

As with Gav's thread the value of any watch is a sum of the parts. Yours is a very attractive watch and the dial and hands go a long way here. The replacement case would kill off interest from purists, but many with a lower budget would be prepared to accept it if the price was adjusted accordingly.

The bezel insert is a key point, whilst many don't understand the importance people will pay up to 4 figures to find the correct insert and get it put on. Unless your original is knackered I would put it on the watch and that would immediately bump up the value of the piece. Don't transfer the bezel, just the insert.

Bracelets are an interchangable piece of kit and even a service replacement on a top notch watch would be acceptable, but again an original bracelet would be worth even more.

If you want to put a number on it, look at what's out there at the top end and also check the bottom end and looking at what's been changed yours will be somewhere in the middle.

With the correct insert there would be interest from buyers at the right price.

My advice, ride the storm and keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    We don't really do how much is my watch worth on here.

As with Gav's thread the value of any watch is a sum of the parts. Yours is a very attractive watch and the dial and hands go a long way here. The replacement case would kill off interest from purists, but many with a lower budget would be prepared to accept it if the price was adjusted accordingly.

The bezel insert is a key point, whilst many don't understand the importance people will pay up to 4 figures to find the correct insert and get it put on. Unless your original is knackered I would put it on the watch and that would immediately bump up the value of the piece. Don't transfer the bezel, just the insert.

Bracelets are an interchangable piece of kit and even a service replacement on a top notch watch would be acceptable, but again an original bracelet would be worth even more.

If you want to put a number on it, look at what's out there at the top end and also check the bottom end and looking at what's been changed yours will be somewhere in the middle.

With the correct insert there would be interest from buyers at the right price.

My advice, ride the storm and keep it.
    The point you made about the insert is an important one, Ken. A good fat font can add a grand to the value of a watch; conversely, a service case will inevitably reduce it substantially. As for originality generally, there's a lot of hot air about it given that - unless you've owned the watch from new - you'll never know what parts are original with any degree of certainly. The important thing is that it's all period-correct and in the best possible condition.

As for the general usefulness of "what's it worth?" threads, bear in mind that owners talk prices up and punters talk prices down. Further, this is a very small and crystallised market place; in the wider world things can often look quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The point you made about the insert is an important one, Ken. A good fat font can add a grand to the value of a watch; conversely, a service case will inevitably reduce it substantially. As for originality generally, there's a lot of hot air about it given that - unless you've owned the watch from new - you'll never know what parts are original with any degree of certainly. The important thing is that it's all period-correct and in the best possible condition.
    Totally agree Tony. Replacement cases is an interesting topic on its own and I personally think they have their place. Whilst clearly an original case in top condition trumps all else, in a situation where an owner is faced with a choice between a heavily damaged original case and the option of changing to a brand new case, it is easy to see why some would.

I think also what the owner intends to do with the watch comes into it. If you intend to keep it forever and enjoy wearing it then changing the case makes good sense, but if they intend selling then stick with the original case. Both choices in this scenario would clearly have an impact on any asking price and there would be a reduced level of interest from those looking for the absolute best.

Master
    What’s going on with the fat font skinny font insert in the first pic...?
    Second pic is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Second pic is different.
    It's the rarely seen graduated font insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Totally agree Tony. Replacement cases is an interesting topic on its own and I personally think they have their place. Whilst clearly an original case in top condition trumps all else, in a situation where an owner is faced with a choice between a heavily damaged original case and the option of changing to a brand new case, it is easy to see why some would.

I think also what the owner intends to do with the watch comes into it. If you intend to keep it forever and enjoy wearing it then changing the case makes good sense, but if they intend selling then stick with the original case. Both choices in this scenario would clearly have an impact on any asking price and there would be a reduced level of interest from those looking for the absolute best.
    As mentioned, I have no intention of selling my watch. Am simply interested in the valuation impact of the service replacement case as I have no idea about this topic. As you say, it’s an interesting one.

Short of a mint original watch, this example with its replacement case is my ideal 5513. The main reason is that I have an aversion to any sort of case polishing (and, as most on here will know, it’s very rare to find an early 1970s 5513 that hasn’t received a polish). I enjoy the vintage aesthetic and aged hand/dial lume in a perfect case, so I’m by no means a vintage purist. I’m also not a fan of the ‘spider’ dials, ‘starburst’ dials, and general hockey puck case knackering that a significant cohort within the vintage Rolex collecting world identifies as desirable patina (though I do quite like ‘tropical’ dials). And, finally, I want any marks that the watch may pick up to be my own rather than someone else’s. Oddly enough, I’m far more forgiving (to the extent of actually appreciating) patina and signs of use on vintage watches that aren’t Rolex sports models...

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Second pic is different.
    It’s the exact same insert in both pics.

I haven’t yet gone down the rabbit hole of different Rolex fonts (and not sure I want to ), so I have no idea what you’re referring to here.

Oh, and interesting to hear how much more desirable the original insert is, LTF and Wallasey. I do far prefer the looks of my original insert with its mellowed font and bezel pip. I’d be putting this back on today if it wasn’t stuck 50 Covid kms away in my office desk drawer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

As for the general usefulness of "what's it worth?" threads, bear in mind that owners talk prices up and punters talk prices down. Further, this is a very small and crystallised market place; in the wider world things can often look quite different.
    I know I will get slagged off from the usual suspects but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone buys a watch such as a 5513 that they have got themselves all sexed up about and then decide to sell at a later date and then repeat the whole exercise all over again. When selling you have the worry are you dealing with a scammer and there is always a chance you may take a lowish price just to move it on. Buying a watch is fraught with problems because originality / is it a fake / is it a Frankenstein / is the buyer up to no good etc etc. Generally speaking the exercise will cost you money and most repeat flippers will admit that it is an expensive way of owning watches.

If you buy to keep, life is safer and much more relaxed and you can soon build up a good collection over a period of time.

If I owned the OPs watch, I would hang onto it and stop worrying about values and markets etc.

Again, I have no intention whatsoever of selling, and I’m not ‘worried’ about markets or value.

Master
    Well you did say this

"Any valuation opinions would be appreciated"

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Well you did say this

"Any valuation opinions would be appreciated"
    I know, Mick - but the topic is just for the sake of interest. I’m not worried about value as I intend to keep the watch and ultimately pass it on to my son when I exit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    I know, Mick - but the topic is just for the sake of interest. I’m not worried about value as I intend to keep the watch and ultimately pass it on to my son when I exit.
    Good, then we are two of a kind.