closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Takeaways in times of COVID-19

Takeaways in times of COVID-19

Yes or no?

I was very much not in favour of takeway food at the beginning of all this. As a family we didn't eat takeaway food very often anyway – maybe once a month, if that – but as I'm now shopping/cooking/preparing two meals a day, seven days a week, for all four of us, I'd quite like a night off.

It might be moot anyway as my wife is very much against the idea but I'm sure I could persuade her, but what are the risks?

Apart from the obvious delivery and distancing problem, and washing hands vigorously after emptying the cartons, how safe is the food likely to be? It seems to defy logic that they're all still allowed to do business as it's hardly essential, but I know plenty of people who are still getting takeaway deliveries at least once a week and they're all still alive.

I soooo fancy a good biryani with a Keema Naan and popadoms

There is a chippy near me that has been open all the way through this. I think that I would be taking more of a risk going to the supermarket, so fair play to them!

Love a good Ruby and very happy to support our local award winning takeaway at this time. We also did a takeaway pub lunch on Mothers' Day, dropped a couple of meals off at my parents place and then had ours at home. Great for morale all round.

It's low risk. Guidance is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...id-19-and-food
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Fried and spicy, C19 has no chance!

Haven’t had a takeaway in weeks, might have to remedy that tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Love a good Ruby and very happy to support our local award winning takeaway at this time. We also did a takeaway pub lunch on Mothers' Day, dropped a couple of meals off at my parents place and then had ours at home. Great for morale all round.

It's low risk. Guidance is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...id-19-and-food
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear/read. You might have saved me

Out on my daily exercise walk this morning and saw that our local chippy has opened for click and collect only. You order and pay online, select a time slot and go and collect. Fish, chips and curry sauce tomorrow teatime for us, can't wait!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I was faced with a similar dilemma on wifey’s birthday (April 11th), as she was unable to have the customary family get-together with kids (both grown up and married) her son arranged a takeaway delivery and virtual get- together. I’m a bit fussy about food hygiene at the best of times so I wasn’t in favour, but thinking it through I was less worried. I can’t stand lukewarm food, so I always blast takeaways in the microwave to get the food piping hot, or stick it in the oven. That’s what I did, if rge food gets geated back to boiling point there should be no problem..........I think!

If someone with expert knowledge thinks otherwise I’ll happily stand corrected.

That’s exactly what I would do Paul: put any takeaway food in the microwave for 30s or so. I suspect that would inactivate any viruses (but I doubt they’d be viable in hot food anyway....but I’m not a virologist!)

Master
    Like you, I’m not a big fan of takeaway and can’t remember the last time I had a takeaway meal that wasn’t a sandwich or similar for lunch!

I do however like a nice meal out and meet a friend for a gourmet if rather expensive meal out in central London monthly. I was pleased to hear that several of the places I had liked or fancied trying were going to do takeaway.

Not so pleased when two seemed to change their mind (Brat and Leroy) even though I could have picked up that on the way home from work and the others (Hide, Hakkasan and Benares) only seem to deliver to the West End! Ergo no takeaway for me still then!

Master
    Had a few during this, wife's a nurse and I've been working 6 or 7 days a week.
    Always ordered over the phone or online and collected from them.
    No concerns what's so ever, one in one out during collection to reduce the risks.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I was faced with a similar dilemma on wifey’s birthday (April 11th), as she was unable to have the customary family get-together with kids (both grown up and married) her son arranged a takeaway delivery and virtual get- together. I’m a bit fussy about food hygiene at the best of times so I wasn’t in favour, but thinking it through I was less worried. I can’t stand lukewarm food, so I always blast takeaways in the microwave to get the food piping hot, or stick it in the oven. That’s what I did, if rge food gets geated back to boiling point there should be no problem..........I think!

If someone with expert knowledge thinks otherwise I’ll happily stand corrected.
    Plenty of info here:
    https://www.bfr.bund.de/en/can_the_n...s_-244090.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Very helpful!

Thanks
    So clever my foot fell off.

Journeyman
    Our friends in the Turkish kebab shop deliver fantastic food, the lamb kofte chicken shish combo all salad with homemade chilli and garlic sauce is a life saver

We've been frequenting our favourite Indian restaurant and our neighbour's Chinese takeaway during the lockdown.

We'd hate to see either go out of business, so we're supporting them by giving them some business.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I'd think the risk is minimal and I know some chains have altered their menu to only include cooked foods.
    That being said my wife is against it so we haven't ordered on safety grounds. Although if everyone followed that I'm sure a lot of places would go out of business.
    If I had somewhere I used regularly before this I'd want to support them now if I could.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Our local pub is still doing takeaways from the menu and enforcing a strict collection policy ref social distancing.. also selling 1 litre of Ale’s @£4 having got together with local milk farms served in milk containers..local farm shops also doing well with a pre order pre payment drive through ..we need to keep these small village businesses afloat and people employed with sensible precautions in these unprecedented times..they are in many cases the heart of rural communities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SydR
    It was my wife and I’s wedding anniversary last weekend. One of our favourite restaurants in the city was offering home delivery and had got themselves on Just Eat.

Arrived promptly and was every bit as good as we’d expected.

Master

Takeaways in times of COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    We've been frequenting our favourite Indian restaurant and our neighbour's Chinese takeaway during the lockdown.

We'd hate to see either go out of business, so we're supporting them by giving them some business.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Same here with our Indian restaurant. I want them to be there at the end of all this, we have been going to them for 13 years religiously pretty much every Friday night for an early curry. Always the same table too.

I feel bad that I know they aren’t making the same profit though as without alcohol at the Indian restaurant out bill is half what it usually is.

Annoyingly out Chinese takeaway of over 23 years has closed until further notice. It’s the best Chinese we have ever eaten outside of China. We moved to a nearby town 14 years ago & still drive 15-20mins back to collect from them as nothing else compares. Hope they return.

Edited to add that I also keep my friendly kebab van going too, lovely chap & hate to see him not pull through. Very quiet for him as no pub kick out business at the moment.

We've been ordering takeaways almost every weekend since the lockdown. Our excuse is it's a way to keep supporting the local economy and for me to take a bit of a break from the cooking.

Most of the drivers these days do "contactless" deliveries where they leave the food outside the door and ring the bell. Sometimes we even do a little wipe down of the boxes before opening.

Had a couple from our local country pub which is still open for pickups. Its run by a Thai family so they do some great Thai dishes along with standard pub grub. Just ring up or email, pay over the phone. They tell you what time it will be ready, its only a 4 minute drive away so park in the car park at allotted time and they put in the boot for you. Great food and service and we also want to keep them a float as its a good honest traditional pub that we often stop at when walking the dogs.

Will have to check the beer situation as I think he mentioned they do takeouts on that as well!

We are a family of 6 adults at the moment so treat ourselves every now and again to relieve the stress of meal planning and cooking every night.

Craftsman
    My wife is one of the at risk group, 12 weeks of lockdown.

She was worried about takeaway during this, but relented last weekend and had a chipy.

We both drooled over it.

Well worth the wait

Master
    We wipe down anything that arrives from outside with a disinfectant spray before we open it. Then we wash our hands and wipe down the surface its been on before opening it.

For takeaways check the Council food hygiene scores. If its less than 4/5 I wouldn’t feed it to a dog.

(I only have takeaways rarely as I find even the top places to be garbage food and would rather cook my own , but my flat mates order them regularly)

Master
    It's pretty small beer in the grand scheme of things but we've found our local pub's roast dinner takeaways a bit of a godsend these last few Sundays. Happy to be able to support a local business in a small way apart from anything else.

I used to enjoy a takeaway but over time became shocked at the incredible greasiness of the food, and the price, in comparison to anything I make myself - and over the years I’ve just stopped having them at all, with the exception of fish and chips once a month or so. It probably doesn’t help that my wife is vegetarian so the ‘sharing dishes’ element doesn’t really work!
    A lot of local pubs are doing takeaways, but why would I spend £25 on luke warm steak and chips when I can do it myself, fresh for a fraction of that? I get supporting your local businesses but at the moment I’d prefer to save my money. I hadn’t even thought about the Covid 19 issue with hot food tbh, another reason to give it a miss!

OMG! Just had our first fish and chips take away in over a month! Bally gorgeous!!!!

Craftsman
    Went to collect an Indian takeaway from my usual spot, arrived 5minutes early and the friendly staff presented me with a proper pint of cobra “to enjoy whilst I waited”
    Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Went to collect an Indian takeaway from my usual spot, arrived 5minutes early and the friendly staff presented me with a proper pint of cobra “to enjoy whilst I waited”
    Heaven

Blimey, a pint out! Nectar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Heaven

A pint out!

(Tongue firmly in cheek btw...a pint of Cobra pre Curry sounds wonderful!)
    Last edited by Kirk280; 25th April 2020 at 00:14.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We had fish and chip last night, and they were great. All the usual social distancing protocol was met. Go for it

Haven't had one yet but a curry or a lamb kofte would do wonders right now. We have family with a takeaway and they are opening for the first time today. Slightly different hours, telephone orders only, no one allowed in and collection/payment at the door.

Master
    our fav curry house is now on deliveroo and i think we have had meal from them every 10 days or so! so far so good....

Master
    In the last week we've had Italian from our usual eatery delivered, and last night I collected a Nepalese from the usual source, called to order, payed in advance, I turned up at the allotted time and it was placed on a table just inside the door, waiter retreated and I wa allowed in to collect, wife is a greta cook but nothing beats authentic.
    Local chinese had a sign in the widow 'closed for 3 weeks' under which somebody had marked 'Gone bat hunting' still not reopened though. Chippy delivery tomorrow night yum.
    Still, no carryouts or meals out means saving a fortune.

Craftsman
    My local wine and cheese bar are doing deliveries and I have a weekly cheese and meat board with 2 bottles of white ..... partly cos I want them and partly to ensure the bar is still around on the other side......

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    My local wine and cheese bar are doing deliveries and I have a weekly cheese and meat board with 2 bottles of white ..... partly cos I want them and partly to ensure the bar is still around on the other side......
    Both damn good reasons!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH