closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by tommyT View Post
    Could I get some bean grinder advice please folks?

I make aeropress, stovetop and cafetiere (when we have guests) currently. No espresso machine.

Currently hand grinding. What would you recommend for a decent entry level electric grinder? Being able to do espresso grind is only a bonus as I may one day get a proper machine.

I was looking at the wilfa svart - has anyone experience of this or can they recommend another around the £100-150 mark?

(ps if money were no object, I'd go for the niche zero)
    Even cheaper:

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    How about the DeLonghi KG79? See this link for some more info and shop around. You won't need to do the mod in the link as you don't need an espresso fine grind but the KG79 gets decent reviews in the budget category of grinders as far as I've seen.

I make aeropress, stovetop and cafetiere (when we have guests) currently. No espresso machine.

Currently hand grinding. What would you recommend for a decent entry level electric grinder? Being able to do espresso grind is only a bonus as I may one day get a proper machine.

I was looking at the wilfa svart - has anyone experience of this or can they recommend another around the £100-150 mark?

I can't comment on its capabilities, but there's a second hand nearly-new one for sale here at 100 GBP - you may need to create a log-in for it, but I'd recommend that anyway as it's a very useful coffee forum:

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/543...svart-grinder/

Master
    I bought a second hand DeLonghi KG79 that lasted about 3-4 year. Worked really well for everything except espresso. I tried the hack and that didn't work.

you can get them new for £100.

Thanks to all that have responded! I'm looking into the de'longhi now and will keep an eye on that forum.

Having got lost into James Hoffmann's yt videos - I just bought a wilfa uniform (not +) on sale. The journey begins...

Annnndddd it's gone

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Journeyman

I've had a Wilfa Svart for about 5 years now and use it primarily for aeropress and filter and the occasional mocha. Its great - previously was using Porlex hand grinder and then a Krups machine and the Wilfa has been a significant upgrade. I paid around £120 and its great value

Journeyman
    And i tend to buy coffee beans from https://www.hasbean.co.uk/

They are really great value for single origin small batches and Steve who runs it sends very entertaining newsletters and makes engaging videos

OK, picked up a Jura bean too cup machine in lockdown as I was spending way too much on Nespresso but I’m struggling with beans. I’ve tried 3 variations of the Spiller & Tait beans which are ok but I’m looking for something like the Illy Dark roast. Any recos? (Yeah, Illy dark roast :o)

Should add that I’m finding the S&T a little bitter, (strength 4/5 on the machine)
    Last edited by tiny73; 16th September 2020 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    OK, picked up a Jura bean too cup machine in lockdown as I was spending way too much on Nespresso but I’m struggling with beans. I’ve tried 3 variations of the Spiller & Tait beans which are ok but I’m looking for something like the Illy Dark roast. Any recos? (Yeah, Illy dark roast :o)

Should add that I’m finding the S&T a little bitter, (strength 4/5 on the machine)
    I’m still struggling to find a bean to match the purple nespresso pods tbh. I’ve tried loads so far.

Worth a try...Italian Extra Dark?

That's their only extra dark roast but there are plenty of dark roasts and lighter for you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I’m still struggling to find a bean to match the purple nespresso pods tbh. I’ve tried loads so far.
    I like the Illy but it seems like a lot of packaging for 250g of coffee which doesn’t last long when I’m at home... Just started a subscription from hasbean.co.uk. Rolling subscription thing at £7 per fortnight. Will give it a try.

I like the Illy but it seems like a lot of packaging for 250g of coffee which doesn’t last long when I’m at home... Just started a subscription from hasbean.co.uk. Rolling subscription thing at £7 per fortnight. Will give it a try.
    My fave so far is from pebble and pine Indian monsoon Malabar. Very nice

Cheap and very much worth trying if you use a cafetière - Lidl Deluxe Colombian Risaralda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Cheap and very much worth trying if you use a cafetière - Lidl Deluxe Colombian Risaralda.

Master
    Hasbean do a sampler pack that gives a good variety. A couple I really liked one not so much. But they at least give you a range to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    And i tend to buy coffee beans from https://www.hasbean.co.uk/

They are really great value for single origin small batches and Steve who runs it sends very entertaining newsletters and makes engaging videos
    Will check them out! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Mmmmm

Last night I splurged on a Rocket Appartamento and matching Faustino grinder in copper trim.

Should be a good upgrade from my current set up of Rancilio Silvia and matching Rocky grinder (which will both be on SC in due course).

Shame that I have to wait a few more days for the Faustino to arrive from Italy, but the Appartamento should be with me on Friday.

Anyone here have any experience of the step up?

Journeyman
    Will check them out! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I recently switched to one of their subscriptions and it’s great

Journeyman
    Any good recommendations for a scale?

My digital kitchen scale seems to be on the way out so thinking about investing in something decent ideally with a timer for coffee

Any good recommendations for a scale?

My digital kitchen scale seems to be on the way out so thinking about investing in something decent ideally with a timer for coffee
    all you'll need: https://eu.acaia.co

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Interesting prices

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Thanks - might be a bit spendy though?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Last night I splurged on a Rocket Appartamento and matching Faustino grinder in copper trim.

Should be a good upgrade from my current set up of Rancilio Silvia and matching Rocky grinder (which will both be on SC in due course).

Shame that I have to wait a few more days for the Faustino to arrive from Italy, but the Appartamento should be with me on Friday.

Anyone here have any experience of the step up?
    nice setup, enjoy!
    Drinking alot more coffee at home, so recently invested in a lelit elizabeth. a few attempts to get the grinder settings, but now getting good and consistent coffee.
    ready to start experimenting, but off to barista school first!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New mods for me

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    New mods for me

Is that the same LaPav?!

Yes have spent a bit on it

Last edited by Daveya.; 9th October 2020 at 11:23.

Morning

Very pleased with my upgrade:

Just dialling in the settings for the Faustino now and ran a bag of rubbish beans through to clean off the burrs.

I’ve lusted after the Appartamento for some time now and so far, I am very impressed.

Congratulations. Many hours of frustration and joy to come.

Journeyman
    Thanks - might be a bit spendy though?
    Is something like this any good?

grinder

grinder
    Yes, along as it has a timer and weighs to 0.1g

I made my first espresso in months today, I’ve been drinking pour over since about April. I cleaned the machine (ECM Mechanika V) yesterday and descaled it. It’s been so long I’d forgotten what to do, so I made 2 undrinkable double shots, then 2 pretty good ones, I’d forgotten how variable the output can be!

Craftsman

grinder
    I weigh the portafilter and set to 0.
    Hard to tell if it would fit diagonally across from the pic.
    some use a smaller scales as they’re transferring the beans or grind.
    a smaller one might be better if you want to put it under the group and weigh the yield. (thats where the timer would be useful also)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use my phone or watch for the timer, rather than one integrated in the scales.

One thing to note with the 0.XXg scales is that they can have quite low total weight allowance (100g, 200g etc.) so do check before buying as that can be easily exceeded with an empty cup.

Ahhh, this thread takes me back to my old set up, sold this a few years ago and I’m pretty much just on a Nespresso Vertuo now. Not as good of course but much much easier and consistent. I really should get back to some pour over brewing though ...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Ahhh, this thread takes me back to my old set up, sold this a few years ago and I’m pretty much just on a Nespresso Vertuo now. Not as good of course but much much easier and consistent. I really should get back to some pour over brewing though ...

I see you were keen on keeping your internals clean!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I see you were keen on keeping your internals clean!
    Ha yes I was. Probably one of the reasons I gave it up, I spent far too long setting it up and cleaning it afterwards to justify the mixed bag of results I achieved.

To be fair this photo was when I was selling it, I didn't keep the Puly Caff out at all times!

Craftsman
    Hoping that the tz-uk hive mind can point me in the right direction.

Looking for something that makes good espresso, but I'm a bit loath to fork out 4 digits for some of the beauties showcased above.
    I was thinking something along the lines of the Sage Barista Express B2C, see they have it at Costco for 485.

Anyone have any experience, whether it's of that model or the brand, or any other recommendations?

The Sage line has a decent rep for those that want it easier than full on obsession

True, if you don’t want so much control, and interaction, which when you’ve got time, and are in the right mood is ace, but if you just want a coffee, and none of the faff, then the Sages are highly regarded.

To be specific , they use a pressurised portafilter basket so you can use ste beans from the supermarket. You'll get a caffiene hit and it all you drink is milky drinks they will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    To be specific , they use a pressurised portafilter basket so you can use ste beans from the supermarket. You'll get a caffiene hit and it all you drink is milky drinks they will be fine

They are supplied with "1 cup & 2 cup single & dual wall filter baskets".

For the OP here are a couple of YouTube videos:

NB Sage are re-badged Breville machines sold in the UK.

Edit Those two videos threw up another one: Dialing In Breville Barista Express...and the same guy has another video with a trick for practising steaming your milk, but without any milk..
    Last edited by PickleB; 2nd November 2020 at 21:44.

Craftsman
    Terms like portafilter, tamping, burr etc were all unknown before your posts, looks like another potential rabbit hole and the wife tells me I already have enough hobbies, so something 'simple' like that machine seems about right (for the time being..!)
    Thanks guys (especially Pickle for providing those links).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Terms like portafilter, tamping, burr etc were all unknown before your posts, looks like another potential rabbit hole and the wife tells me I already have enough hobbies, so something 'simple' like that machine seems about right (for the time being..!)
    Thanks guys (especially Pickle for providing those links).
    You pick it up very quickly, and the Sage range is a great start

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Hoping that the tz-uk hive mind can point me in the right direction.

Looking for something that makes good espresso, but I'm a bit loath to fork out 4 digits for some of the beauties showcased above.
    I was thinking something along the lines of the Sage Barista Express B2C, see they have it at Costco for 485.

Anyone have any experience, whether it's of that model or the brand, or any other recommendations?
    I have this machine and I've been pretty pleased with it - now available on Amazon as an early Black Friday deal for £399.99.

I don't always make espresso, you can make great coffee with V60

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    I have this machine and I've been pretty pleased with it - now available on Amazon as an early Black Friday deal for £399.99.
    That was a good deal...now gone, sadly.