closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee thread

Master
    Just tried Horsham coffee roasters . Very fine. May take out a subscription and broaden my coffee horizon.

Can go a notch finer on this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ribxr2iva...81943.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Looks better then mine... :(

I got one of these this week to help with distribution.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...72.m2749.l2649

In spite of what it says, it shipped from the UK and arrived in a couple of days.

Master

Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman90 View Post
    Question to the community: What is more important? The Grinder or the Coffeemachine?

Is coffee from a bad grinder in a good machine better than coffee from a good grinder in a bad machine?
    I’’ve used bean to cup for a long time. We bought a Sage last year and of three/four variables concerned with a great coffee you can only routinely vary the grind.

If the constants of water at 93degrees is pushed through 22grams of coffee at 9 bar over 30secs with first liquid coming through within 8-12 seconds ( the preinfusion).The variable you adjust to achieve 60ml of expresso at 30seconds is the grind.

Changing from Illy to Monmouth makes a huge difference as the oils in the beans and how the beans grind is different.

The beans need to be fresh too as older beans grind differently.

Short answer - a lot !
    Last edited by joe narvey; 21st July 2020 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman90 View Post
    Question to the community: What is more important? The Grinder or the Coffeemachine?

Is coffee from a bad grinder in a good machine better than coffee from a good grinder in a bad machine?
    The grinder, absolutely no question. A good even grind is the basic starting point for a decent cup of coffee.

Yep, sh1t in sh1t out

So actually the answer is the bean is more important,

In order

Freshly roasted quality bean
    Decent grinder to get consistent and fluffy grinds
    A machine that can manage temperature and pressure consistently

Master
    I find this thread enthralling. I have neither the palette or cash to invest such vast amounts, but love the dedication.

I’ve a Nesprrsso machine, and a recently added ‘new capsule’ Nespresso which makes me appreciate the old one! The new ‘crema’ is like some form of sea / river foam, truly awful. Machine was free but not buying more capsules for it & will give away / sell.

Love to try a decent machine at some point, but my addictive style to life means I will be going at it if I did. I drink too much coffee a day for it to make financial sense!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I drink too much coffee a day for it to make financial sense!!
    How much do you drink a day and what does it currently cost you?

I have 3 X 15g espressos a day, I work form home

It's about 2 quid a day

Less than one cup of rancid tea from a cafe

I’m finding I’m spending more money now with my Jura bean machine than I did with my nespresso
    I’m forever filling the dam thing up. And I only have 2 to 3 cups a day

Anyone out there using a cafetiere and ground coffee?

I like a decent cup of coffee, but I find a lot of the difference between cups of coffees to be on a par with listening to my favourite group on MP3 and rap on a £15,000 set of speakers, so I've found (for my needs) that a cafetiere and some ground coffee is a good solution.

I've, recently, found that Taylor's of Harrogate's ground coffee has been on offer at Sainsburys and the varieties I've tried so far have been consistently good.

Sorry if I've lowered the bar, but I'm never going to be spending hundreds of pounds on a coffee machine - For a start, my wife hates the smell of the stuff!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The difference between grinding a fresh bean and stale supermarket beans is night and day, even Taylor's

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I’m finding I’m spending more money now with my Jura bean machine than I did with my nespresso
    I’m forever filling the dam thing up. And I only have 2 to 3 cups a day
    That's surprising as you should be getting 13-15 cups out of a 200g bag of coffee which would work out a lot cheaper than nespresso..

Then again it depends on how much you're paying for a 200g bag!!

Quote Originally Posted by martapart View Post
    That's surprising as you should be getting 13-15 cups out of a 200g bag of coffee which would work out a lot cheaper than nespresso..

Then again it depends on how much you're paying for a 200g bag!!
    Probably about right. I’ve been buying dearer 200G bags for about £10
    I’ve purchased loads of diff brands now. Stupid me didn’t make notes of my faves. So I’m guessing again

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone found a decent fillable Nespresso pod?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Probably about right. I’ve been buying dearer 200G bags for about £10
    I’ve purchased loads of diff brands now. Stupid me didn’t make notes of my faves. So I’m guessing again
    I'm quite new to it and didn't realise how many variables there were to finding the holy grail of coffee - i'm not even sure what i like best!!

I guess there will be a lot of trial and error ahead but not sure i'll be spending £10 on a 200g bag if i can help it!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Anyone out there using a cafetiere and ground coffee?

I like a decent cup of coffee, but I find a lot of the difference between cups of coffees to be on a par with listening to my favourite group on MP3 and rap on a £15,000 set of speakers, so I've found (for my needs) that a cafetiere and some ground coffee is a good solution.

I've, recently, found that Taylor's of Harrogate's ground coffee has been on offer at Sainsburys and the varieties I've tried so far have been consistently good.

Sorry if I've lowered the bar, but I'm never going to be spending hundreds of pounds on a coffee machine - For a start, my wife hates the smell of the stuff!

M
    I'd suggest trying a V60 or Chemex pour over. Lighter, cleaner coffee than a cafetiere, without all the expensive cork sniffing of espresso machines. Set up is very cost effective, a Chemex or V60 jug, filter papers, a kettle and beans ground freshly.

Find a local coffee shop that also roasts their beans and try out some of their coffees. They'll grind it for you. Or if you wanted to, you can buy an excellent grinder for about £100 such as the Wilfa Svart.

Or if you don't want to stand over a jug manually pouring coffee for about four minutes, a Moccamaster Select will do it all for you.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    I use a cafetiere, been considering upgrading to a coffee machine.

However get my coffee via monthly subscription 2 x 200g of pre ground coffee delivered for £13. I'm on the roasters choice so it always varies. Coffee is sent day after its ground and you always get told background on where its grown etc. Night and day difference to what is on offer in supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by ARC85 View Post
    I use a cafetiere, been considering upgrading to a coffee machine.

However get my coffee via monthly subscription 2 x 200g of pre ground coffee delivered for £13. I'm on the roasters choice so it always varies. Coffee is sent day after its ground and you always get told background on where its grown etc. Night and day difference to what is on offer in supermarkets.
    Biggest upgrade would be a grinder, coffee starts to go stale as soon as it’s ground, a month after and it’s certainly well past it’s best.

Yeah cafetiere is low on my list

Pour over or Aeropress for me, but with guests and needing 4 or 6 coffees quickly after dinner a cafetiere makes sense

Get a decent grinder though and buy a bean locally form your local roaster and it will still. E ten times nicer than instant or supermarket stale beans

You don't have to go particularly fine for a cafetiere so grinders don't cost much ,Ike. Baratza Encore for 35 quid

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Yeah cafetiere is low on my list

Pour over or Aeropress for me, but with guests and needing 4 or 6 coffees quickly after dinner a cafetiere makes sense

Get a decent grinder though and buy a bean locally form your local roaster and it will still. E ten times nicer than instant or supermarket stale beans

You don't have to go particularly fine for a cafetiere so grinders don't cost much ,Ike. Baratza Encore for 35 quid

One hundred and thirty five?

Yeah sorry 135

Arrived at our rental cottage at Thunder Cove in Prince Edward Island. Going to try some locally roasted beans... supposedly roasted and bagged yesterday.

Journeyman
    Any viable low cost options for me to provide to employees at work?

I\ve recently bought us a bean to cup and currently get through just over 200g per week (so not a lot yet!!)

Go to Black Cat coffee and get their freshly roasted blend , use CFUK15 code and get 15% off

After been happy with filter coffee for many years I have finally decided to upgrade to espresso. A niche zero (single dose grinder) is ordered and when it arrives in October the plan is to order a Lelit MaraX.

As usual the biggest cost is never the equipment but whatever it takes to bribe missus.

Journeyman
    Go to Black Cat coffee and get their freshly roasted blend , use CFUK15 code and get 15% off

Thanks for that although i've been spending £3 per bag on starbucks which has been ok and quite palatable - not sure if it's worth spending more than this for the guys in the office!!

You will when you taste a fresh bean!

Journeyman
    You will when you taste a fresh bean!

Lol thanks, may give it a whirl!

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    After been happy with filter coffee for many years I have finally decided to upgrade to espresso. A niche zero (single dose grinder) is ordered and when it arrives in October the plan is to order a Lelit MaraX.

As usual the biggest cost is never the equipment but whatever it takes to bribe missus.
    I’m very pleased with this combo

Lovely that

I'm currently modding my La Pav

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by martapart View Post
    Thanks for that although i've been spending £3 per bag on starbucks which has been ok and quite palatable - not sure if it's worth spending more than this for the guys in the office!!
    I bought a bag of Starbucks beans as it was on offer and so cheap and I needed some. Used with a Chemex and Knock grinder. Firstly it has the Starbucks flavour. But the beans are so oily and the actual bean to weight volume is much higher than with other brands. Definitely would not get them again.

I think i messaged on here asking if i was the only one who roasts their own coffee at home.
    Someone replied that i was the only one, as if i was a numpty for doing that i think if what they meant.
    So thought i would show it this time instead

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I think i messaged on here asking if i was the only one who roasts their own coffee at home.
    Someone replied that i was the only one, as if i was a numpty for doing that i think if what they meant.
    So thought i would show it this time instead

Excellent! Fair play to you! Love the disclaimer note on the packet haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    So thought i would show it this time instead.
    Does that not fill the house with acrid smoke? My overriding memory of passing a coffee-roasting establishment in Southampton in the ‘80s - is of that smell.

Yeah in a small house just having drying pucks can make the house smell, I can't resist as well

Craftsman
    I've tried roasting my own with an old popcorn maker I had at the back off the cupboard.
    It works very well but always roasted outside because of the smoke.

Sent from my CPH2005 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I'd suggest trying a V60 or Chemex pour over. Lighter, cleaner coffee than a cafetiere, without all the expensive cork sniffing of espresso machines. Set up is very cost effective, a Chemex or V60 jug, filter papers, a kettle and beans ground freshly.

Find a local coffee shop that also roasts their beans and try out some of their coffees. They'll grind it for you. Or if you wanted to, you can buy an excellent grinder for about £100 such as the Wilfa Svart.

Or if you don't want to stand over a jug manually pouring coffee for about four minutes, a Moccamaster Select will do it all for you.
    I had a Chemex and they do make a great cup of coffee. I currently have a Bodum pour over 'Chemex-alike). It lacks the heritage of the original, but the papers are easier to find. I'm pretty happy with the result. I tend to break cafetieres and while I mainly drink espresso I like a pot of coffee now and again and it is ideal for when you guests.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Does that not fill the house with acrid smoke? My overriding memory of passing a coffee-roasting establishment in Southampton in the ‘80s - is of that smell.
    I close all the doors to the rest of the house, open the windows and back door. Put the extractor fan on full blast.

Plus when you get a little experience you have the heat a little lower so you dont burn / scorch the beans.

I hate scorched beans, it makes the coffee taste bad.

I aim for chocolate brown color.

Have been enjoying the coffee i recently purchased from Horsham coffee roasters, they have some interesting anaerobic process coffee which is really smooth but with big body (so much I dropped the dose down to 15g from my usual 18g for filter) really good value as they are not top prices like Assembly or Square mile but the quality is right up there and they have some unusual coffees as well as quite a few naturals, not had a bad coffee from them, have tried 5-6 different ones over the last couple of months.

They also do a points/discount scheme for a decent discount when you buy or refer.
    If you use this code
    http://i.refs.cc/sZK7YrvH?smile_ref=...o1NTE1MjE1MTZ9

You get a fiver off your order. I also get a fiver off my next order, if anyone uses this link then post your own referral link and I’ll delete this one. not looking to reap all the benefit, share the love don’t hoard it!

This may be blasphemy, but I like IKEA coffee beans. Their Påtår costs only 3€/£2.25 for 250g. Sure your fresh local will be better. I found a couple nice fresh local ones I liked, but not enough at More than five times the price of IKEA. I still drink pre-ground coffee at work, so just the fresh grind makes enough difference for me.

Ah lovely

Heads up!

Amazon have Alessi products as a Deal of the day including their 9090 and Pulcina stove-top coffee makers.

Master
    Every time I see the double walled glasses I’m tempted to buy some.

Craftsman
    Great start to the evening

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Java. Never anything else.

Could I get some bean grinder advice please folks?

I make aeropress, stovetop and cafetiere (when we have guests) currently. No espresso machine.

Currently hand grinding. What would you recommend for a decent entry level electric grinder? Being able to do espresso grind is only a bonus as I may one day get a proper machine.

I was looking at the wilfa svart - has anyone experience of this or can they recommend another around the £100-150 mark?

(ps if money were no object, I'd go for the niche zero)

the Wilfa Svart is good for filter/aeropress, i bought one for my partner as we drink filter only at hers. they do a smarter stainless model with different burrs etc which is more money. check out the James Hoffman reviews.
    the Svart isn’t perfect but for the money you can’t grumble. i had a more expensive Mahlkonig previously which while more substantially built and lots of buttons died after a few years (as did 2 belonging to friends)