closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee thread

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    Sorry but that thing is never going to be able to deliver a decent cup of coffee(a matter of taste after all) but most important being Aluminium it's actually very toxic for the purpose so....you might consider giving that up.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk
    Although this is how most of Italy starts their morning before stopping on the way to work at a bar for an espresso...

New Sette 270 on the way :)

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    all those decent grinders weigh a ton for a reason!
    I have a Eureka 65e. Let's just say I wouldn't want to drop it on my foot without steel toe caps on.

Looking forward to sampling some new beans this weekend...

Bloody hell

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Although this is how most of Italy starts their morning before stopping on the way to work at a bar for an espresso...
    Absolutely right ... in Italy is by far the most used coffee pot at home breakfast - Moka Bialetti, or (like me) Moka Alessi which is in steel. In italy you have a coffee break around 10:00 am at the bar where you get a nice espresso and a croissant.

It is advised to only wash under running water (NO soaps or detergents, and every so often dry it with a microfibre cloth which will take out some accumulated fats.

And a bit of service changing the rubber ring, cleaning the fine perorations in the disk, and may be changing the valve every 5 years or so.

The "not decent cup" is nonsense.
    Last edited by Franco; 3rd June 2020 at 16:55.

Journeyman
    I spent almost one year in Italy and I can tell you this: there are very few places where you can drink an decent espresso, made from fresh roasted coffee beans. Most of them uses pre-packed coffee from different vendors (I saw in some metal recipients, like big jars). I asked some of those pub owners and the told me that is not efficient (economically) to use fresh roasted beans for 1 euro/shot. But the machines do all the thing and you can get an acceptable espresso for 1 euro. Of course, I'm talking about regular places where you can drink espresso fro about 1 euro, not about expensive restaurants.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Looking forward to sampling some new beans this weekend...

Who is the roastery?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    I spent almost one year in Italy and I can tell you this: there are very few places where you can drink an decent espresso ..///...

You must have been somewhere else.

They like it thick and strong, soupy ristrettos

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You must have been somewhere else.
    Milano - Torino area... You?

Blog Entries
    Milano - Torino area... You?
    Well, I was born in Florence , I am Italian and been in most parts of Italy for the first 30 years of my life. And drunk thousands of coffees everywhere. Do not think you can seriously doubt my knowledge of Italy.

In 1570 there were 85 coffee shops in Venice, and coffee has been a national darling since then. Most espresso machines of class come from Italy, Saeco, Gaggia, Pavoni were the first available home espressos

In every town there are five or six special places, and every town have dozens of bars where you drink coffees better than “decent”” , unlike you said earlier. Of course depends what your favourite coffee is like , may be you like Starbucks.

Master
    Well, I was born in Florence , I am Italian and been in most parts of Italy for the first 30 years of my life. And drunk thousands of coffees everywhere. Do not think you can seriously doubt my knowledge of Italy.

In 1570 there were 85 coffee shops in Venice, and coffee has been a national darling since then. Most espresso machines of class come from Italy, Saeco, Gaggia, Pavoni were the first available home espressos

In every town there are five or six special places, and every town have dozens of bars where you drink coffees better than “decent”” , unlike you said earlier. Of course depends what your favourite coffee is like , may be you like Starbucks.
    I think a lot of ‘third wave’ coffee drinkers look down on italian coffee culture. My wife’s Italian and I love it. For a 80cents a shot it destroys any big chain coffee in the uk.

It’s like when people say UK has great foodie culture. There’s some great stuff but the average is just rubbish. You can go anywhere in Italy and get a great coffee and food.

Master
    Just received these a couple of days ago

Absolutely right ... in Italy is by far the most used coffee pot at home breakfast - Moka Bialetti, or (like me) Moka Alessi which is in steel.

It is advised to only wash under running water (NO soaps or detergents, and every so often dry it with a microfibre cloth which will take out some accumulated fats.

And a bit of service changing the rubber ring, cleaning the fine perorations in the disk, and may be changing the valve every 5 years or so.

The "not decent cup" is nonsense.
    The Bialetti is what we use, makes us a nice coffee anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Just received these a couple of days ago

I've got some too

Journeyman

I drink fresh roasted coffee espresso from almost 10 years... I'm using a Lelit PL41TEM and a Mazzer Super Jolly adapted for single dose. I've been experienced different way of preparing coffee (espresso, moka, french press, turkish ibrik). I also own a Kinu 47 classic and a Flair Signature PRO. I'm using not only dynamo metric tamper, but also these tools:

I imagine that you know what are used for, right?

So, you may be more familiar with Italian coffee places than me, but I know what a good coffee should be, and definitely a good coffee is made from fresh roasted coffee. Can you send me a location of 10 coffee in the same district places which are using fresh roasted coffee?

Blog Entries
    I am sorry, but have no time to waste with you, you are too cocky and argumentative.

Enjoy whatever you drink, that I have no interest to know. Just don’t piss about on Italy.

Journeyman
    I am sorry, but have no time to waste with you, you are too cocky and argumentative.

Enjoy whatever you drink, that I have no interest to know. Just don’t piss about on Italy.
    Man, I love Italy. I spent a lot of vacations there: Roma, Venice, Florence, Toscana, Catania, Milano, Torino, and it may be some more that I've forgot about. The weather is good, the food is amazing, the ice cream is fantastic. My only problem is with the coffee: I start walking into espresso world because of Italy. But after I start understanding what is it and how is made, I realize that there is no good coffee without fresh roasted beans. I don't say that you cannot drink a good coffee in Italy... I'm just saying that because the cost issues, you cannot have a good coffee for 1 euro and that is a fact. Yes, is good because they use machines that costs 2-3-4000 euro in those coffee pub, the thermal stability on these machines is huge (we are talking about very big boilers), which leads to a big improvement in the coffee taste. But I drank some amazing coffee in some places and I asked the owner why this difference... the answer was simple: where is a good coffee, the price is not 1 euro. If i need to go deeper with my explanation, it would my turn to say: I have no time to waste with you.

Regarding the cocky part (that being said by an Italian), you make me laugh...

1 euro?!

Blog Entries
    Man, I love Italy. I spent a lot of vacations there: Roma, Venice, Florence, Toscana, Catania, Milano, Torino, and it may be some more that I've forgot about. The weather is good, the food is amazing, the ice cream is fantastic. My only problem is with the coffee: I start walking into espresso world because of Italy. But after I start understanding what is it and how is made, I realize that there is no good coffee without fresh roasted beans. I don't say that you cannot drink a good coffee in Italy... I'm just saying that because the cost issues, you cannot have a good coffee for 1 euro and that is a fact. Yes, is good because they use machines that costs 2-3-4000 euro in those coffee pub, the thermal stability on these machines is huge (we are talking about very big boilers), which leads to a big improvement in the coffee taste. But I drank some amazing coffee in some places and I asked the owner why this difference... the answer was simple: where is a good coffee, the price is not 1 euro. If i need to go deeper with my explanation, it would my turn to say: I have no time to waste with you.

Regarding the cocky part (that being said by an Italian), you make me laugh...
    Glad you laugh - you seem to have little opinion of italians. I am not going to start international slander, have lowered myself enough for tonight.

Journeyman
    have lowered myself enough for tonight.
    I just wanted to write more, but I see no point discussing with such peoples... You didn't bring any argument into this, just waving your Italian nationality (and pride) here. I just explained that I love Italy, but you are stuck in your hole.
    I had this unpleasant experience with peoples like you in the past (in your beloved country), and they act exactly like you: they offend first and also they scream after (just because they can, just because they are Italians). Well my dear, I don't give a damn about your nationality... what matter is something else. The good point is that I also met great peoples in Italy.
    Last edited by kumm2004; 3rd June 2020 at 21:50.

Master
    I just wanted to write more, but I see no point discussing with such peoples... You didn't bring any argument into this, just waving your Italian nationality (and pride) here. I just explained that I love Italy, but you are stuck in your hole.
    I had this unpleasant experience with peoples like you in the past (in your beloved country), and they act exactly like you: they offend first and also they scream after (just because they can, just because they are Italians). Well my dear, I don't give a damn about your nationality... what matter is something else. The good point is that I also met great peoples in Italy.
    You do contradict yourself a little! You were a little offensive to Italians!

Anyway, I think the thing is you need to compare like for like. High end coffee anywhere is going to taste great. But, middle of the road stuff is undoubtedly better and cheaper in Italy. 1 euro from a bar or 4 euros from a Starbucks. It’s a no brainier for me.

Also, you do need to be careful in Italy. If you take a seat the price can double or triple as they consider it table service. Just stand and drink it or take it yourself.

Italian coffee will always be the same, i.e bulk roasted robusta to a very dark roast (and then sprayed with water to make the weight back up) but even as a speciality coffee drinker who likes third wave coffee (google it) there is something enjoyable about a well pulled shot from an Italian train station vendor, even better if it’s pulled on a lever machine.

It’s their coffee, their tradition. Is it the best coffee in the world? No, it’s not even the best coffee in Europe.
    It’s not going to change as it’s so ingrained in the daily routine, other countries even those with a coffee bar tradition are more receptive to the ‘modern’ third wave way of roasting and brewing coffee.
    No point in trying to change it if they are happy drinking it.

They make some of the best coffee machines though.

(The irony of this post is the fact that some of the best speciality coffee is roasted by an Italian called Rubens Gardelli who won the world roasting championship a few years ago!?)
    Last edited by MrSmith; 4th June 2020 at 09:53.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Also, you do need to be careful in Italy. If you take a seat the price can double or triple as they consider it table service. Just stand and drink it or take it yourself.
    Yes, i know this... also you will pay so called "coperta". And is going beyond restaurants & coffee places: in some gas station, if you don't self service and let the boy from gas station, you will be charge more.

Blog Entries
    Just to set things right.

"Coperta" means blanket. Perhaps you meant "coperto" which means something different: https://mycornerofitaly.com/coperto-italian/

Several restaurants however are like in the UK, and do not charge it, in those however you are supposed to leave a tip.

In service stations usually there is a row of pumps with "servito" which means "with the attendant" , and costs more that the normal, which is self-service. The attendant time costs money, hence the charge.

Equally, in many bars you do not pay to sit, unless you ask the waiter to serve you. In others, particularly in the central areas of towns, the costs of space is prohibitive. And if you sit and occupy it for one hour or so, it costs money, hence the charge.

It is the same in France, Germany and Spain, nothing specific of Italy, and nothing in the whole of Italy.

Journeyman

"Coperta" means blanket. Perhaps you meant "coperto" which means something different: https://mycornerofitaly.com/coperto-italian/
    You're right... Coperto is the correct word.

Several restaurants however are like in the UK, and do not charge it, in those however you are supposed to leave a tip.

In service stations usually there is a row of pumps with "servito" which means "with the attendant" , and costs more that the normal, which is self-service. The attendant time costs money, hence the charge.

Equally, in many bars you do not pay to sit, unless you ask the waiter to serve you. In others, particularly in the central areas of towns, the costs of space is prohibitive. And if you sit and occupy it for one hour or so, it costs money, hence the charge.

It is the same in France, Germany and Spain, nothing specific of Italy, and nothing in the whole of Italy.
    Never noticed such a thing in France TBH.

I've certainly experience of similar in French cities.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

New scales

Timely thread for me - my Jura S9 (bought second-hand 11 years ago) is having problems, and I'm not enjoying using my Zyliss cafetiere mugs (although they are ideal for travelling - so good that they have stopped me from trying an Aeropress!)

so I've just ordered a Jura E8 to tide me over

I'm a big fan of bean-to-cup machines. I've played around with Sage-type machines in the past, but it always felt to me that they were designed so that the whole theatre of making the coffee was more important than drinking the actual coffee itself. (A bit like audiophiles spending more time listening to the equipment than the music).

I've experimented with lots of beans, and the ones that consistently suit my palate (I only drink strong black coffee) are Whittard's Café Français (https://www.whittard.co.uk/coffee/di...ee-111070.html). Probably looked down on by the enthusiasts, but they work for me.

Journeyman
    Plastic... too much plastic.
    you can read a good review about these automatic machines here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    New scales
    What are they?

Plastic... too much plastic.
    you can read a good review about these automatic machines here.
    Thanks for the link, but I fear that the reviewer had too many prejudices for it to be an objective review. It's also 12 years old, and the technology within B2C machines has moved on quite a bit since then.

There's a lot of snobbery attached to coffee making, as well as a lot of people who seem to enjoy playing barista more than drinking the coffee. Plus there's always the attraction of a big shiny machine with lots of knobs and dials and gauges, no matter how difficult it may be to actually persuade it to dispense a decent tasting coffee.

I've no problem with plastic, it its place. It has lots of advantages over other materials - hence its wide-spread use in all sorts of products. I can't imagine you could find a car, a TV, a computer or all manner of other object which don't have a high proportion of plastic in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    What are they?
    Acaia Pearl, 140 quid

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Thanks for the link, but I fear that the reviewer had too many prejudices for it to be an objective review. It's also 12 years old, and the technology within B2C machines has moved on quite a bit since then.

There's a lot of snobbery attached to coffee making, as well as a lot of people who seem to enjoy playing barista more than drinking the coffee. Plus there's always the attraction of a big shiny machine with lots of knobs and dials and gauges, no matter how difficult it may be to actually persuade it to dispense a decent tasting coffee.

I've no problem with plastic, it its place. It has lots of advantages over other materials - hence its wide-spread use in all sorts of products. I can't imagine you could find a car, a TV, a computer or all manner of other object which don't have a high proportion of plastic in them.
    My only problem with plastic is the direct contact with the coffee. To be honest, I don't know how is this Jura E8, but I saw some automated machines and there was direct contact between plastic and liquid. Regarding the snobbery, I agree with you and i assure you I'm not one of them... I'm using the same machine since 2012 and the same grinder since 2014.

To be honest, I don't know how is this Jura E8, but I saw some automated machines and there was direct contact between plastic and liquid.
    I don't know about the E8 (it hasn't even arrived yet) but I've had my Jura S9 apart and there's some - but minimal - contact between the liquid and the plastic. The beans go into a plastic hopper and then are ground by metal blades. The brewing unit is metal, and then the resulting hot liquid travels along a rubber (from memory) hose to the dispensing nozzles, which I think are plastic. The water reservoir is plastic and the cold water travels through clear plastic (from memory) hoses to get to the brewing unit or (when hot) to the steam outlets.

What is the objection to liquid/plastic contact? I would hope that any plastics which come into contact with the liquid would be food grade, chemically inert, and designed not to taint the coffee?

Set up , budget end of decent set ups , this has cost me about 1k

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I don't know about the E8 (it hasn't even arrived yet) but I've had my Jura S9 apart and there's some - but minimal - contact between the liquid and the plastic. The beans go into a plastic hopper and then are ground by metal blades. The brewing unit is metal, and then the resulting hot liquid travels along a rubber (from memory) hose to the dispensing nozzles, which I think are plastic. The water reservoir is plastic and the cold water travels through clear plastic (from memory) hoses to get to the brewing unit or (when hot) to the steam outlets.

What is the objection to liquid/plastic contact? I would hope that any plastics which come into contact with the liquid would be food grade, chemically inert, and designed not to taint the coffee?

Shower:

Port-filter:

As you can see, from the moment when the hot water meet the coffee, there is no plastic involved.

Yeah I've upgraded to am IMS screen, and competition baskets ( I believe they are made to a much higher level of engineering )

Journeyman
    Have you considered that you could fit a PID to that Classic?

Have you considered that you could fit a PID to that Classic?
    If you meant me....

I have one

If you meant me....

I have one

Beat me to it pointing that out!!

Journeyman
    Sorry, I wasn't looking to that picture in details... I just saw the front of the machine and the grinder. My fault!
    Then you have all you need for drinking a good coffee.

I am enjoying this thread. I do enjoy drinking coffee but happy with supermarket purchased ground coffee and Aeropress.

Strange to think that something so basic as coffee can be so complicated and so variable.

What is the PID?

First crema using the Sette....

As you can see, from the moment when the hot water meet the coffee, there is no plastic involved.
    Understood. What I'm trying to understand is why this is a desirable thing?

Heat transfer , quality of engineering for metal screens, probably loads other reasons

Master

Coffee thread

I don’t quite understand the issue with plastic, bpa? But even with an a high end machines water is normally kept in a plastic tank. I try to only drink from glass, I’d been using a britta kettle for years which was plastic. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought about it. I now have a glass kettle.

However I do remember reading the Judas machines can’t be opened and cleaned. Apparently they can get quite horrible inside! Not sure if it’s an issue anymore.
    Last edited by Rodder; 4th June 2020 at 20:45.

Master
    First crema using the Sette....

That is awesome!