closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 449

Thread: Coffee thread

  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    Sorry but that thing is never going to be able to deliver a decent cup of coffee(a matter of taste after all) but most important being Aluminium it's actually very toxic for the purpose so....you might consider giving that up.

    Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk
    Although this is how most of Italy starts their morning before stopping on the way to work at a bar for an espresso...

  2. #202
    New Sette 270 on the way :)

    Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

  3. #203
    Master Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    all those decent grinders weigh a ton for a reason!
    I have a Eureka 65e. Let's just say I wouldn't want to drop it on my foot without steel toe caps on.

  4. #204
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,161
    Looking forward to sampling some new beans this weekend...


  5. #205
    Bloody hell

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  6. #206
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Although this is how most of Italy starts their morning before stopping on the way to work at a bar for an espresso...
    Absolutely right ... in Italy is by far the most used coffee pot at home breakfast - Moka Bialetti, or (like me) Moka Alessi which is in steel. In italy you have a coffee break around 10:00 am at the bar where you get a nice espresso and a croissant.

    It is advised to only wash under running water (NO soaps or detergents, and every so often dry it with a microfibre cloth which will take out some accumulated fats.

    And a bit of service changing the rubber ring, cleaning the fine perorations in the disk, and may be changing the valve every 5 years or so.

    The "not decent cup" is nonsense.
    Last edited by Franco; 3rd June 2020 at 16:55.

  7. #207
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    I spent almost one year in Italy and I can tell you this: there are very few places where you can drink an decent espresso, made from fresh roasted coffee beans. Most of them uses pre-packed coffee from different vendors (I saw in some metal recipients, like big jars). I asked some of those pub owners and the told me that is not efficient (economically) to use fresh roasted beans for 1 euro/shot. But the machines do all the thing and you can get an acceptable espresso for 1 euro. Of course, I'm talking about regular places where you can drink espresso fro about 1 euro, not about expensive restaurants.

  8. #208
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Looking forward to sampling some new beans this weekend...

    Who is the roastery?

  9. #209
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    I spent almost one year in Italy and I can tell you this: there are very few places where you can drink an decent espresso ..///...

    You must have been somewhere else.

  10. #210
    They like it thick and strong, soupy ristrettos

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  11. #211
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    You must have been somewhere else.
    Milano - Torino area... You?

  12. #212
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    Milano - Torino area... You?
    Well, I was born in Florence , I am Italian and been in most parts of Italy for the first 30 years of my life. And drunk thousands of coffees everywhere. Do not think you can seriously doubt my knowledge of Italy.

    In 1570 there were 85 coffee shops in Venice, and coffee has been a national darling since then. Most espresso machines of class come from Italy, Saeco, Gaggia, Pavoni were the first available home espressos

    In every town there are five or six special places, and every town have dozens of bars where you drink coffees better than “decent”” , unlike you said earlier. Of course depends what your favourite coffee is like , may be you like Starbucks.

  13. #213
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Well, I was born in Florence , I am Italian and been in most parts of Italy for the first 30 years of my life. And drunk thousands of coffees everywhere. Do not think you can seriously doubt my knowledge of Italy.

    In 1570 there were 85 coffee shops in Venice, and coffee has been a national darling since then. Most espresso machines of class come from Italy, Saeco, Gaggia, Pavoni were the first available home espressos

    In every town there are five or six special places, and every town have dozens of bars where you drink coffees better than “decent”” , unlike you said earlier. Of course depends what your favourite coffee is like , may be you like Starbucks.
    I think a lot of ‘third wave’ coffee drinkers look down on italian coffee culture. My wife’s Italian and I love it. For a 80cents a shot it destroys any big chain coffee in the uk.

    It’s like when people say UK has great foodie culture. There’s some great stuff but the average is just rubbish. You can go anywhere in Italy and get a great coffee and food.

  14. #214
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,415
    Just received these a couple of days ago


  15. #215
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Absolutely right ... in Italy is by far the most used coffee pot at home breakfast - Moka Bialetti, or (like me) Moka Alessi which is in steel.

    It is advised to only wash under running water (NO soaps or detergents, and every so often dry it with a microfibre cloth which will take out some accumulated fats.

    And a bit of service changing the rubber ring, cleaning the fine perorations in the disk, and may be changing the valve every 5 years or so.

    The "not decent cup" is nonsense.
    The Bialetti is what we use, makes us a nice coffee anyway.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Just received these a couple of days ago

    I've got some too

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  17. #217
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Well, I was born in Florence , I am Italian and been in most parts of Italy for the first 30 years of my life. And drunk thousands of coffees everywhere. Do not think you can seriously doubt my knowledge of Italy.

    In 1570 there were 85 coffee shops in Venice, and coffee has been a national darling since then. Most espresso machines of class come from Italy, Saeco, Gaggia, Pavoni were the first available home espressos

    In every town there are five or six special places, and every town have dozens of bars where you drink coffees better than “decent”” , unlike you said earlier. Of course depends what your favourite coffee is like , may be you like Starbucks.
    I drink fresh roasted coffee espresso from almost 10 years... I'm using a Lelit PL41TEM and a Mazzer Super Jolly adapted for single dose. I've been experienced different way of preparing coffee (espresso, moka, french press, turkish ibrik). I also own a Kinu 47 classic and a Flair Signature PRO. I'm using not only dynamo metric tamper, but also these tools:



    I imagine that you know what are used for, right?

    So, you may be more familiar with Italian coffee places than me, but I know what a good coffee should be, and definitely a good coffee is made from fresh roasted coffee. Can you send me a location of 10 coffee in the same district places which are using fresh roasted coffee?

  18. #218
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am sorry, but have no time to waste with you, you are too cocky and argumentative.

    Enjoy whatever you drink, that I have no interest to know. Just don’t piss about on Italy.

  19. #219
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I am sorry, but have no time to waste with you, you are too cocky and argumentative.

    Enjoy whatever you drink, that I have no interest to know. Just don’t piss about on Italy.
    Man, I love Italy. I spent a lot of vacations there: Roma, Venice, Florence, Toscana, Catania, Milano, Torino, and it may be some more that I've forgot about. The weather is good, the food is amazing, the ice cream is fantastic. My only problem is with the coffee: I start walking into espresso world because of Italy. But after I start understanding what is it and how is made, I realize that there is no good coffee without fresh roasted beans. I don't say that you cannot drink a good coffee in Italy... I'm just saying that because the cost issues, you cannot have a good coffee for 1 euro and that is a fact. Yes, is good because they use machines that costs 2-3-4000 euro in those coffee pub, the thermal stability on these machines is huge (we are talking about very big boilers), which leads to a big improvement in the coffee taste. But I drank some amazing coffee in some places and I asked the owner why this difference... the answer was simple: where is a good coffee, the price is not 1 euro. If i need to go deeper with my explanation, it would my turn to say: I have no time to waste with you.

    Regarding the cocky part (that being said by an Italian), you make me laugh...

  20. #220
    1 euro?!

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  21. #221
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    Man, I love Italy. I spent a lot of vacations there: Roma, Venice, Florence, Toscana, Catania, Milano, Torino, and it may be some more that I've forgot about. The weather is good, the food is amazing, the ice cream is fantastic. My only problem is with the coffee: I start walking into espresso world because of Italy. But after I start understanding what is it and how is made, I realize that there is no good coffee without fresh roasted beans. I don't say that you cannot drink a good coffee in Italy... I'm just saying that because the cost issues, you cannot have a good coffee for 1 euro and that is a fact. Yes, is good because they use machines that costs 2-3-4000 euro in those coffee pub, the thermal stability on these machines is huge (we are talking about very big boilers), which leads to a big improvement in the coffee taste. But I drank some amazing coffee in some places and I asked the owner why this difference... the answer was simple: where is a good coffee, the price is not 1 euro. If i need to go deeper with my explanation, it would my turn to say: I have no time to waste with you.

    Regarding the cocky part (that being said by an Italian), you make me laugh...
    Glad you laugh - you seem to have little opinion of italians. I am not going to start international slander, have lowered myself enough for tonight.

  22. #222
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    have lowered myself enough for tonight.
    I just wanted to write more, but I see no point discussing with such peoples... You didn't bring any argument into this, just waving your Italian nationality (and pride) here. I just explained that I love Italy, but you are stuck in your hole.
    I had this unpleasant experience with peoples like you in the past (in your beloved country), and they act exactly like you: they offend first and also they scream after (just because they can, just because they are Italians). Well my dear, I don't give a damn about your nationality... what matter is something else. The good point is that I also met great peoples in Italy.
    Last edited by kumm2004; 3rd June 2020 at 21:50.

  23. #223
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    I just wanted to write more, but I see no point discussing with such peoples... You didn't bring any argument into this, just waving your Italian nationality (and pride) here. I just explained that I love Italy, but you are stuck in your hole.
    I had this unpleasant experience with peoples like you in the past (in your beloved country), and they act exactly like you: they offend first and also they scream after (just because they can, just because they are Italians). Well my dear, I don't give a damn about your nationality... what matter is something else. The good point is that I also met great peoples in Italy.
    You do contradict yourself a little! You were a little offensive to Italians!

    Anyway, I think the thing is you need to compare like for like. High end coffee anywhere is going to taste great. But, middle of the road stuff is undoubtedly better and cheaper in Italy. 1 euro from a bar or 4 euros from a Starbucks. It’s a no brainier for me.

    Also, you do need to be careful in Italy. If you take a seat the price can double or triple as they consider it table service. Just stand and drink it or take it yourself.

  24. #224
    Italian coffee will always be the same, i.e bulk roasted robusta to a very dark roast (and then sprayed with water to make the weight back up) but even as a speciality coffee drinker who likes third wave coffee (google it) there is something enjoyable about a well pulled shot from an Italian train station vendor, even better if it’s pulled on a lever machine.

    It’s their coffee, their tradition. Is it the best coffee in the world? No, it’s not even the best coffee in Europe.
    It’s not going to change as it’s so ingrained in the daily routine, other countries even those with a coffee bar tradition are more receptive to the ‘modern’ third wave way of roasting and brewing coffee.
    No point in trying to change it if they are happy drinking it.

    They make some of the best coffee machines though.

    (The irony of this post is the fact that some of the best speciality coffee is roasted by an Italian called Rubens Gardelli who won the world roasting championship a few years ago!?)
    Last edited by MrSmith; 4th June 2020 at 09:53.

  25. #225
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Also, you do need to be careful in Italy. If you take a seat the price can double or triple as they consider it table service. Just stand and drink it or take it yourself.
    Yes, i know this... also you will pay so called "coperta". And is going beyond restaurants & coffee places: in some gas station, if you don't self service and let the boy from gas station, you will be charge more.

  26. #226
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,204
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just to set things right.

    "Coperta" means blanket. Perhaps you meant "coperto" which means something different: https://mycornerofitaly.com/coperto-italian/

    Several restaurants however are like in the UK, and do not charge it, in those however you are supposed to leave a tip.

    In service stations usually there is a row of pumps with "servito" which means "with the attendant" , and costs more that the normal, which is self-service. The attendant time costs money, hence the charge.

    Equally, in many bars you do not pay to sit, unless you ask the waiter to serve you. In others, particularly in the central areas of towns, the costs of space is prohibitive. And if you sit and occupy it for one hour or so, it costs money, hence the charge.

    It is the same in France, Germany and Spain, nothing specific of Italy, and nothing in the whole of Italy.

  27. #227
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Just to set things right.

    "Coperta" means blanket. Perhaps you meant "coperto" which means something different: https://mycornerofitaly.com/coperto-italian/
    You're right... Coperto is the correct word.

  28. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Just to set things right.

    "Coperta" means blanket. Perhaps you meant "coperto" which means something different: https://mycornerofitaly.com/coperto-italian/

    Several restaurants however are like in the UK, and do not charge it, in those however you are supposed to leave a tip.

    In service stations usually there is a row of pumps with "servito" which means "with the attendant" , and costs more that the normal, which is self-service. The attendant time costs money, hence the charge.

    Equally, in many bars you do not pay to sit, unless you ask the waiter to serve you. In others, particularly in the central areas of towns, the costs of space is prohibitive. And if you sit and occupy it for one hour or so, it costs money, hence the charge.

    It is the same in France, Germany and Spain, nothing specific of Italy, and nothing in the whole of Italy.
    Never noticed such a thing in France TBH.

  29. #229
    I've certainly experience of similar in French cities.

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

  30. #230
    New scales

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  31. #231
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,809
    Timely thread for me - my Jura S9 (bought second-hand 11 years ago) is having problems, and I'm not enjoying using my Zyliss cafetiere mugs (although they are ideal for travelling - so good that they have stopped me from trying an Aeropress!)



    so I've just ordered a Jura E8 to tide me over


    I'm a big fan of bean-to-cup machines. I've played around with Sage-type machines in the past, but it always felt to me that they were designed so that the whole theatre of making the coffee was more important than drinking the actual coffee itself. (A bit like audiophiles spending more time listening to the equipment than the music).

    I've experimented with lots of beans, and the ones that consistently suit my palate (I only drink strong black coffee) are Whittard's Café Français (https://www.whittard.co.uk/coffee/di...ee-111070.html). Probably looked down on by the enthusiasts, but they work for me.

  32. #232
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Plastic... too much plastic.
    you can read a good review about these automatic machines here.

  33. #233
    Master Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    New scales
    What are they?

  34. #234
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    Plastic... too much plastic.
    you can read a good review about these automatic machines here.
    Thanks for the link, but I fear that the reviewer had too many prejudices for it to be an objective review. It's also 12 years old, and the technology within B2C machines has moved on quite a bit since then.

    There's a lot of snobbery attached to coffee making, as well as a lot of people who seem to enjoy playing barista more than drinking the coffee. Plus there's always the attraction of a big shiny machine with lots of knobs and dials and gauges, no matter how difficult it may be to actually persuade it to dispense a decent tasting coffee.

    I've no problem with plastic, it its place. It has lots of advantages over other materials - hence its wide-spread use in all sorts of products. I can't imagine you could find a car, a TV, a computer or all manner of other object which don't have a high proportion of plastic in them.

  35. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    What are they?
    Acaia Pearl, 140 quid

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  36. #236
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Thanks for the link, but I fear that the reviewer had too many prejudices for it to be an objective review. It's also 12 years old, and the technology within B2C machines has moved on quite a bit since then.

    There's a lot of snobbery attached to coffee making, as well as a lot of people who seem to enjoy playing barista more than drinking the coffee. Plus there's always the attraction of a big shiny machine with lots of knobs and dials and gauges, no matter how difficult it may be to actually persuade it to dispense a decent tasting coffee.

    I've no problem with plastic, it its place. It has lots of advantages over other materials - hence its wide-spread use in all sorts of products. I can't imagine you could find a car, a TV, a computer or all manner of other object which don't have a high proportion of plastic in them.
    My only problem with plastic is the direct contact with the coffee. To be honest, I don't know how is this Jura E8, but I saw some automated machines and there was direct contact between plastic and liquid. Regarding the snobbery, I agree with you and i assure you I'm not one of them... I'm using the same machine since 2012 and the same grinder since 2014.

  37. #237
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    To be honest, I don't know how is this Jura E8, but I saw some automated machines and there was direct contact between plastic and liquid.
    I don't know about the E8 (it hasn't even arrived yet) but I've had my Jura S9 apart and there's some - but minimal - contact between the liquid and the plastic. The beans go into a plastic hopper and then are ground by metal blades. The brewing unit is metal, and then the resulting hot liquid travels along a rubber (from memory) hose to the dispensing nozzles, which I think are plastic. The water reservoir is plastic and the cold water travels through clear plastic (from memory) hoses to get to the brewing unit or (when hot) to the steam outlets.

    What is the objection to liquid/plastic contact? I would hope that any plastics which come into contact with the liquid would be food grade, chemically inert, and designed not to taint the coffee?

  38. #238
    Set up , budget end of decent set ups , this has cost me about 1k

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  39. #239
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I don't know about the E8 (it hasn't even arrived yet) but I've had my Jura S9 apart and there's some - but minimal - contact between the liquid and the plastic. The beans go into a plastic hopper and then are ground by metal blades. The brewing unit is metal, and then the resulting hot liquid travels along a rubber (from memory) hose to the dispensing nozzles, which I think are plastic. The water reservoir is plastic and the cold water travels through clear plastic (from memory) hoses to get to the brewing unit or (when hot) to the steam outlets.

    What is the objection to liquid/plastic contact? I would hope that any plastics which come into contact with the liquid would be food grade, chemically inert, and designed not to taint the coffee?

    Shower:


    Port-filter:




    As you can see, from the moment when the hot water meet the coffee, there is no plastic involved.

  40. #240
    Yeah I've upgraded to am IMS screen, and competition baskets ( I believe they are made to a much higher level of engineering )

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  41. #241
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Have you considered that you could fit a PID to that Classic?

  42. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    Have you considered that you could fit a PID to that Classic?
    If you meant me....

    I have one

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  43. #243
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    If you meant me....

    I have one

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
    Beat me to it pointing that out!!

  44. #244
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Romania, EU
    Posts
    152
    Sorry, I wasn't looking to that picture in details... I just saw the front of the machine and the grinder. My fault!
    Then you have all you need for drinking a good coffee.

  45. #245
    I am enjoying this thread. I do enjoy drinking coffee but happy with supermarket purchased ground coffee and Aeropress.

    Strange to think that something so basic as coffee can be so complicated and so variable.

    What is the PID?

  46. #246
    First crema using the Sette....

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  47. #247
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,809
    Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    As you can see, from the moment when the hot water meet the coffee, there is no plastic involved.
    Understood. What I'm trying to understand is why this is a desirable thing?

  48. #248
    Heat transfer , quality of engineering for metal screens, probably loads other reasons

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

  49. #249
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,415

    Coffee thread

    I don’t quite understand the issue with plastic, bpa? But even with an a high end machines water is normally kept in a plastic tank. I try to only drink from glass, I’d been using a britta kettle for years which was plastic. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought about it. I now have a glass kettle.

    However I do remember reading the Judas machines can’t be opened and cleaned. Apparently they can get quite horrible inside! Not sure if it’s an issue anymore.
    Last edited by Rodder; 4th June 2020 at 20:45.

  50. #250
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    First crema using the Sette....

    Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
    That is awesome!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information